|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick mean when he says "That's living in the wilderness first class."
2. What kind of plane does Babe use to fly Dick into the wilderness?
3. What weapons does Dick have on this wilderness adventure?
4. What does Dick use beach gravel for?
5. How does Dick divide up his cargo to haul to Spike's cabin in the Twins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Babe bring to Dick's on Christmas Day?
2. What animals does Dick see through his binoculars on his first evening at Twin Lake?
3. What other things does Dick do when he has to wait for more materials to be delivered by Babe?
4. What happens when Dick cuts his thumb?
5. On May 27th, why does Dick take his canoe out of storage at Spike's cabin?
6. What does Dick concoct so he can see the animals who come to eat the moose meat he has attached to his sled?
7. Describe Dick's first morning in Spike's cabin.
8. Describe what Dick sees when he enters Spike's cabin.
9. Describe what happens when Dick sets his roof on fire.
10. What makes Dick happy about the door handle of the cache he built?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of celebrations in One Man's Wilderness. How does Dick celebrate traditional occasions as well as personal moments of success? Describe two examples of celebrations that Dick has and discuss their importance to him.
Essay Topic 2
Dick says, "I don't think a man knows what he actually can do until he is challenged." What challenges does Dick face and what does he discover about himself when he meets those challenges? Provide two or three textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dick's view of food and physical exercise. What does he say about eating simply and working up an appetite? What activities does he like to do that keep him healthy and make him appreciate the food he has?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)