|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What gets sliced open from tin snips on September 24th?
2. Who does Babe say he will bring along next time he visits in "Freeze-up"?
3. What does Dick make out of a baby caribou calfskin in May?
4. What does the possibility of a visit from the mission girls keep Dick occupied with?
5. What is located 75 feet from the bay and situated on a knolltop?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Dick cuts his thumb?
2. Describe what happens when Dick sets his roof on fire.
3. What makes Dick happy about the door handle of the cache he built?
4. Why does Dick want to test himself with this wilderness adventure?
5. Describe some chores that Dick does at the end of "Breakup".
6. What animals does Dick see through his binoculars on his first evening at Twin Lake?
7. Describe the jack rabbit Dick sees outside his cabin on May 6th.
8. What other things does Dick do when he has to wait for more materials to be delivered by Babe?
9. What does Dick do when a bear comes to his cabin?
10. Why does Dick decide to hunt ram?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dick says in "Reflections" that he thinks "a man has missed a very deep feeling of satisfaction if he has never created or at least completed something with his own two hands." Identify three things that Dick created with his hands and discuss the satisfaction he receives from this creation.
Essay Topic 2
Dick says, "I don't think a man knows what he actually can do until he is challenged." What challenges does Dick face and what does he discover about himself when he meets those challenges? Provide two or three textual examples to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Dick's view of food and physical exercise. What does he say about eating simply and working up an appetite? What activities does he like to do that keep him healthy and make him appreciate the food he has?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)