|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of fish does Dick see floating in the river in "Until Another Spring"?
2. What is Dick's first reaction when the bear charges him on Falls Mountain?
(a) Throws a rock at the bear.
(c) Climbs a tree.
(d) Throws up his arms and yells.
3. When Dick starts to hike back down Falls Mountain, what does he realize he has lost?
(c) Walking stick.
4. How much did Dick spend to build his cabin?
(a) Twenty-five dollars.
(b) Sixty-six dollars.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Just over forty dollars.
5. What does Dick call "this great big country" at the end of his essay on the Chilikadrotna River?
(b) Too hard to explore.
(c) His playground.
(d) Beyond his imagination.
6. What does the red runt do to Dick when he offers it food?
(a) Takes only half.
(b) Eats the food.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Bites his finger.
7. Why does Dick walk back along the bank on his return from the Chilikadrotna River?
(a) The canoe has a hole in it.
(b) Current in the stream is too strong.
(c) He lost his paddle.
(d) He wants to build strength in his legs.
8. Why does Dick believe the bear left him alone at the last minute on Falls Mountain?
(a) It heard a gunshot.
(b) Dick scared it away.
(c) It heard its cubs calling.
(d) It scented him.
9. What animal comes out of the woodpile on Dick's last day in the wilderness?
(c) Bear cub.
10. What does Dick say about oatmeal in "Reflections"?
(a) He doesn't eat much of it in the wilderness.
(b) He hates it.
(c) It is a good choice of food.
(d) He likes his grandmother's recipe.
11. On the last day Dick is in the wilderness, what is the weather like?
(a) Clear, calm, and thirty-two degrees.
(b) Hot and dry.
(d) Rough and stormy.
12. What does Dick notice about some cow parsnips as he hikes down Falls Mountain?
(a) They are beautiful.
(b) They are freshly eaten.
(c) They are quite tall.
(d) They have a strong fragrance.
13. What has a lived-in look in "Until Another Spring" that Dick says has been deserted for a couple of years?
(a) Cabin on Glacier Creek.
(b) Beaver lodge.
(c) Caribou nursery.
(d) Bear den.
14. What is one thing that the red runt causes Dick to do more of?
(a) Haul water from the lake.
(b) Paint the outside of the cache.
(c) Carve driftwood.
15. What kind of sandwich is Dick eating while he watches an eagle in "Cloud Country"?
(a) Ham sandwich.
(b) Turkey sandwich.
(c) Biscuit sandwich.
(d) Peanut butter and honey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Dick see through his binoculars after he has investigated what the magpies are calling about while exploring the Chilikadrotna River?
2. Why does Dick say he likes living in the wilderness in "Reflections"?
3. Where does Dick store his cache ladder before leaving the wilderness?
4. What does Dick have for supper the night after exploring the Chilikadrotna River?
5. What position is the mother bear sleeping in when Dick watches her while hiking on Falls Mountain?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)