|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who steals the red runt's food through "teamwork maneuvers"?
2. When Dick paddles to the Chilikadrotna River beginning, how many miles is it one way?
3. What is the red runt?
4. What is the temperature in early July in "Cloud Country"?
(a) Sixty-two degrees.
(b) Twenty degrees.
(c) Seventy degrees.
(d) Forty-five degrees.
5. Where does the Chilikadrotna River begin?
(a) Hope's Creek.
(b) Upper end of upper lake.
(c) Upper lake.
(d) Lower end of lower lake.
6. What does Dick find inside the large pot in the cabin located on the bank of the Chilikadrotna River?
(a) Snake skins.
(b) Old fish bones.
(d) Dead mice.
7. When Dick slices a steak off the caribou hindquarter in "Until Another Spring", why does he cut a smaller piece off also?
(a) To give to Babe.
(b) For red runt.
(c) To bring with him when he leaves the wilderness.
(d) To give to the birds.
8. What opinion does Dick express about people's level of physical activity?
(a) They don't get enough.
(b) People work too hard and pay the price physically.
(c) People he knows are in good shape.
(d) Most people have to work hard physically every day.
9. What kind of window works best for Dick during the winter freeze-up?
(d) Single pane glass.
10. What does Dick call himself in the opening paragraph of his essay on the red runt?
(c) Equal partner.
11. What words does Dick use to describe the sound of the Chilikadrotna River?
(a) Shallow, smooth, warm.
(b) Rippling, choppy, dark.
(c) Sweet, calm, quiet.
(d) Savage, awesome, terrifyingly beautiful.
12. How does Dick describe the bear that charges him from the willow clumps while he is on Falls Mountain?
(a) Head as broad as a bulldozer blade.
(c) Very large and frightening.
13. What would Dick like to give the spruce grouse pecking at his gravel path in "Until Another Spring"?
(a) Last of his sourdough batter.
(b) Rolled oats.
(c) Caribou meat.
(d) Bird seed.
14. What does Babe call the world outside Alaska?
(a) The city.
(b) The place beyond.
(c) Crazy country.
(d) Sick country.
15. What animals does Dick see through his scope that make him think "a small mining operation" is in progress?
(d) Brown bear and cubs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How wide were the rafts made by the Indians?
2. What does Dick say about oatmeal in "Reflections"?
3. What noises does Dick hear the red runt make in "Red Runt"?
4. What does the red runt do to Dick when he offers it food?
5. What does Dick cover the sheep meat with, as described in "Red Runt"?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)