|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Dick feel like he cheated in building things he needs?
(a) When he goes too fast and cuts corners.
(b) When he doesn't give the job all his attention.
(c) When he uses man-made items.
(d) When he hires someone to help him.
2. On the last day Dick is in the wilderness, what is the weather like?
(a) Clear, calm, and thirty-two degrees.
(b) Rough and stormy.
(d) Hot and dry.
3. What is Dick's first reaction when the bear charges him on Falls Mountain?
(b) Climbs a tree.
(c) Throws a rock at the bear.
(d) Throws up his arms and yells.
4. What does Dick say about how Indians of the past built their rafts?
(a) Saplings nailed together.
(b) Using only axes and no nails.
(c) From logs with animal hides.
(d) With rope.
5. What animal does Dick say wears "white oxfords" and a "snow-white cape" when he paddles toward the Chilikadrotna River?
(c) Caribou bull.
(d) Hunting dog.
6. What happened to Dick's styrofoam chest in "Red Runt"?
(a) It floated away in the lake.
(b) Red runt repeatedly jumped on it.
(c) Red runt gnawed one corner off.
(d) The top flew away.
7. When the brush rustles, what does Dick expect to see coming out of it in "Cloud Country"?
(a) Bull moose.
8. What does Dick clean up around Glacier Creek before he leaves the wilderness?
(a) Dead salmon.
(b) Red runt's mess.
(c) Hunters' camps.
(d) Beaver lodge.
9. What does Dick call "this great big country" at the end of his essay on the Chilikadrotna River?
(b) Beyond his imagination.
(c) Too hard to explore.
(d) His playground.
10. When Dick investigates what the magpies are calling about in "The Chilikadrotna", what does he find?
(a) Glittery rocks.
(b) Remains of caribou.
(c) Fighting rams.
(d) Dead birds.
11. What is close to zero in Alaska that Dick mentions in "Reflections"?
(a) The chance of the mission girls showing up.
(b) Crime rate.
(c) Number of pigeons.
(d) Number of days it is sunny.
12. What does Dick say about what other people might consider him as he reflects on his wilderness experience?
13. What does Dick use in the natural world that he says is effective as Brillo pads or steel wool?
(b) Spruce cones.
(c) Beach gravel.
(d) Tree burls.
14. What would Dick like to give the spruce grouse pecking at his gravel path in "Until Another Spring"?
(a) Last of his sourdough batter.
(b) Rolled oats.
(c) Bird seed.
(d) Caribou meat.
15. What does Dick call himself in the opening paragraph of his essay on the red runt?
(a) Equal partner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of window works best for Dick during the winter freeze-up?
2. What animals does Dick see through his scope that make him think "a small mining operation" is in progress?
3. What month is it at the beginning of "Until Another Spring"?
4. What was Dick finishing up when he heard Babe's plane arrive in "Until Another Spring"?
5. What does Dick say about the gleam of his cabin when he returns from the Chilikadrotna River?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)