|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does Dick say wears "white oxfords" and a "snow-white cape" when he paddles toward the Chilikadrotna River?
(a) Caribou bull.
(c) Hunting dog.
2. What does Dick see clustered beneath the water where the Chilikadrotna River begins?
3. What does Dick say in "Reflections" that he made out of tree burls and branch growths?
(a) Bowls and wooden spoons.
(c) Animal sculpture.
4. What does the red runt do with the blueberries on the shelf outside the cabin door?
(a) Scatters them all over the ground.
(b) Drops sticks into them.
(c) Leaves them alone.
(d) Eats them.
5. What would Dick like to give the spruce grouse pecking at his gravel path in "Until Another Spring"?
(a) Caribou meat.
(b) Last of his sourdough batter.
(c) Bird seed.
(d) Rolled oats.
6. What term does Dick use to describe nature in "Reflections"?
(a) Father Nature.
(b) Mother Nature.
(c) Mother Earth.
(d) Grandmother Nature.
7. What opinion does Dick express about people's level of physical activity?
(a) People he knows are in good shape.
(b) Most people have to work hard physically every day.
(c) They don't get enough.
(d) People work too hard and pay the price physically.
8. How wide were the rafts made by the Indians?
(a) Four feet.
(b) Six feet.
(c) Nine feet.
(d) Ten feet.
9. What situation does Dick panic over at the beginning of "Cloud Country"?
(a) He can't find his axe.
(b) Problems with his fireplace.
(c) Mice in his cache.
(d) Lost food.
10. What animal does Dick see through his binoculars after he has investigated what the magpies are calling about while exploring the Chilikadrotna River?
11. What does Babe call the world outside Alaska?
(a) The place beyond.
(b) Sick country.
(c) Crazy country.
(d) The city.
12. What kind of personality does Dick say the red runt has?
(a) Temper tantrum.
13. Why does Dick say he likes living in the wilderness in "Reflections"?
(a) He has a fear of cities.
(b) He likes living close to water.
(c) He doesn't like people.
(d) It's in the early stages and man has not left too many marks on it.
14. How many months did Dick live in the wilderness?
15. What kind of window works best for Dick during the winter freeze-up?
(d) Single pane glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bothers Dick in the natural world as he paddles across the lake on July 2nd?
2. What noises does Dick hear the red runt make in "Red Runt"?
3. What is close to zero in Alaska that Dick mentions in "Reflections"?
4. How many rams does Dick see on Black Mountain when he goes hiking on July 2nd?
5. When Dick slices a steak off the caribou hindquarter in "Until Another Spring", why does he cut a smaller piece off also?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)