|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does The Chugach Range remind Dick of?
(a) Pictures from his youth.
(b) Hiking through the Appalachian moutains.
(c) Camper trip from Nebraska.
(d) A great steeple.
2. What is the setting of Dick's wilderness experience?
(a) British Columbia.
(b) Washington state.
3. What does Dick use wildfire greens for in "The Birth of a Cabin"?
(a) Fishing bait.
(b) As insulation for his cabin.
(c) Feed caribou.
4. What month does Dick bring out his canoe from storage at Spike's cabin?
5. What is the spruce squirrel using for a door in "Freeze-up"?
(a) Moss ball.
(b) Spruce branches.
(c) Tree shavings.
(d) Cement sack.
6. How long does Dick anticipate letting the fireplace mortar dry before he builds a normal-sized fire?
(a) Fifteen days.
(b) Several days.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
7. To write this book, what does Sam Keith use of Dick Proenneke's?
(a) Magazine essays.
(c) Newspaper articles.
8. What does Babe's wife knit for Dick that Babe delivers on January 9th?
(c) Long johns.
(d) Wool socks.
9. In mid-May, what noise does Dick hear coming down from Craig Mountain?
(a) Rams fighting.
(b) Trees being felled.
(c) Snow avalanche.
(d) Caribou cow bawling.
10. What time does Dick wake up the first morning in the wilderness?
(a) Ten a.m.
(b) Seven a.m.
(c) Six a.m.
(d) Four a.m.
11. How old is Dick when he begins his wilderness experience?
12. What holiday does Babe visit Dick in "Freeze-up"?
(a) New Year's day.
(b) Thanksgiving day.
(c) New Year's eve.
(d) Christmas day.
13. What gets sliced open from tin snips on September 24th?
(a) The thermopane on his window.
(b) Dick's leg.
(c) Dick's thumb.
(d) The poncho covering his meat.
14. What kind of hotcakes does Dick make for his first breakfast in the wilderness?
15. What does Dick do on his birthday, May 4th?
(a) Takes photographs of a bear family.
(b) Carves a set of utensils.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick leave behind at the Carrithers home when he flies to Anchorage?
2. When Dick forgets his lunch when he takes the canoe up the lake and watches wildlife, what does he eat?
3. How big is the rabbit that Dick sees outside his cabin in early May?
4. Where did Dick work in the 1940s?
5. What is Dick's conclusion after he first tests the draft in his new fireplace?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)