|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dick receive when Babe visits him in "Freeze-up"?
(b) New watch.
(d) Sacks of food and letters.
2. What is the spruce squirrel using for a door in "Freeze-up"?
(a) Spruce branches.
(b) Cement sack.
(c) Tree shavings.
(d) Moss ball.
3. What kind of salad does Dick eat on Thanksgiving day?
(c) Chopped cabbage, carrots, and onions.
(d) Frozen danelion greens.
4. What does Dick leave behind at the Carrithers home when he flies to Anchorage?
5. What does Dick do with the litter he finds when he visits the hunters' tent camp in "Camp Meat"?
(a) Bags it up for trash pick-up.
(b) Buries it.
(c) Throws it in the lake.
(d) Burns it.
6. What month does Dick bring out his canoe from storage at Spike's cabin?
7. What weapons does Dick have on this wilderness adventure?
(a) Pistol and rifle.
(d) Bow and arrow.
8. Who says "We are not piling up treasures on this earth?"
9. What does Mary toast in the fireplace when she and Babe visit Dick in mid-April?
10. What does Dick wrap around the legs of his cache to dissuade squirrels from climbing up?
(a) Twelve inch band of tin.
(b) Flexible traps.
(c) Barbed wire.
11. What does Dick take out from his underground cooler to celebrate the first day of spring?
(a) Jar of blueberries.
(b) Bottle of juice.
(c) Frozen raspberry pie.
(d) Jar of peaches.
12. What does Dick hunt on September 20th in "Camp Meat"?
13. What is the temperature on Thanksgiving day?
(a) Ten degrees.
(b) Twenty-two degrees.
(c) Minus four degrees.
(d) Two degrees.
14. In mid-May, what noise does Dick hear coming down from Craig Mountain?
(a) Trees being felled.
(b) Snow avalanche.
(c) Caribou cow bawling.
(d) Rams fighting.
15. Why does Dick decide he must hunt on September 20th in "Camp Meat"?
(a) The animals are encroaching on his territory.
(b) He needs animal hides to stay warm.
(c) He is tired of building.
(d) To put up meat for the winter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dick build the first week of June?
2. What object does Dick place on the ice to let Babe know it is safe to land the plane on?
3. What does Babe's wife knit for Dick that Babe delivers on January 9th?
4. What does the possibility of a visit from the mission girls keep Dick occupied with?
5. What does Dick use to create protection for his head and face in the December cold?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)