|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did White claim had been able to succeed because he was able to see the world as a whole and was not hampered by any limiting thoughts?
2. When was "Fall" written?
3. Who wrote the book that was given to White in "The Practical Farmer"?
4. Who gave White the book on farming in "The Practical Farmer"?
5. What did White write he would rather train to balance an Indian club "than induce a dachshund to heed my slightest command" in "Dog Training"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What qualities of Spring did White describe in "Spring"?
2. Describe White's companions in "Coon Hunt."
3. What elements of E. B. White's writing make him engaging to the reader?
4. How did White effectively portray country life to an educated, urban audience?
5. Who did White take to the lake with him in "Once More to the Lake"? Why?
6. What actions did White retell in "My Day"?
7. What events did White describe in "A Winter Diary"?
8. In what way did White claim children could be coddled in "Sanitation"?
9. What sort of list is the article "Memorandum"? What did White conclude in the article?
10. Who did "Aunt Poo" refer to? Why was White thinking of her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the different magazines discussed in the article "Farm Paper" and discuss how they reflect E. B. White's personality and choices. Why did White choose The Rural New Yorker?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the emergence of the census in the United States and how this affected White and others in the early 1940s. What was the opposition to the census about?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the world events in 1938, specifically examining the rise of Fascism and Nazism in Europe. What was the economy like in the United States during this period? How did White's assessment of his productivity in "Security" reflect the financial vision of the U.S.?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)