|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did White claim had been able to succeed because he was able to see the world as a whole and was not hampered by any limiting thoughts?
2. "Songbirds" was written when?
3. What president did White refer to in "Lime"?
4. When did White write he woke up on Tuesday in "A Winter Diary"?
5. White wrote in "Motor Cars" that DeSoto moved its clutch pedal two inches to the left the same week that Japan did what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did White remark about the exclusivity of Maine in "Maine Speech"?
2. What opposing imaged did White juxtapose in "Morningtime and Eveningtime"? What irony did he find?
3. What world events were central in "Compost"? What was White's assertion of the situation?
4. What internal conflict did White face in "Lime"?
5. How did White relate automobiles to politics in "Motor Cars"?
6. Who did "Aunt Poo" refer to? Why was White thinking of her?
7. What actions did White retell in "My Day"?
8. What is the most notable of literary techniques White implemented in his articles?
9. What qualities of Spring did White describe in "Spring"?
10. What surroundings did White describe in "On a Florida Key"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ideas and realities of dictatorship and fascism and analyze White's "Freedom." What political beliefs and ideologies are presented in "Freedom"?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the types of schools E. B. White and his wife Katharine attended. How were they different? How did this shape their ideals of education?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the events in September 1939 and their impact on E. B. White. How does White effectively juxtapose country life against the backdrop of war overseas?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)