|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did White write started in the next week in "Songbirds"?
2. How many deaths were in the town the last year in "Fall"?
3. "My Day" was written when?
4. What hung on the west wall of White's cottage in "On a Florida Key"?
5. "Aunt Poo" referred to whose aunt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements of E. B. White's writing make him engaging to the reader?
2. What qualities of Spring did White describe in "Spring"?
3. What was the tone of the article "Freedom"?
4. What opposing imaged did White juxtapose in "Morningtime and Eveningtime"? What irony did he find?
5. In what way did White claim children could be coddled in "Sanitation"?
6. Who did "Aunt Poo" refer to? Why was White thinking of her?
7. What survey did White conduct in "The Trailer Park"? What were his results?
8. What did White think of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's book in "The Wave of the Future"?
9. What is the most notable of literary techniques White implemented in his articles?
10. Who did White take to the lake with him in "Once More to the Lake"? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the types of schools E. B. White and his wife Katharine attended. How were they different? How did this shape their ideals of education?
Essay Topic 2
Describe E. B. White's subject, themes, and symbolism in "The Practical Farmer" and "Sanitation." How did White relate a child's scratch to his entire life in "Sanitation"?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different magazines discussed in the article "Farm Paper" and discuss how they reflect E. B. White's personality and choices. Why did White choose The Rural New Yorker?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)