|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did White write started in the next week in "Songbirds"?
2. When was "Maine Speech" written?
3. In the beginning of "A Shepherd's Life," White wrote "This is a day of 'high winds and _______ promises.
4. White wrote in "The Practical Farmer" that he found it extremely difficult to combine manual labor with what?
5. What did White write that people say in Maine when "you are holding a wedge for somebody to tap with a hammer"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surroundings did White describe in "On a Florida Key"?
2. What was the tone of the article "Freedom"?
3. What actions did White retell in "My Day"?
4. What surprised White about raising sheep in "A Shepherd's Life"?
5. How did White relate automobiles to politics in "Motor Cars"?
6. In what way did White claim children could be coddled in "Sanitation"?
7. What world events were central in "Compost"? What was White's assertion of the situation?
8. What was White's reaction to his gift in "The Practical Farmer"?
9. What sort of list is the article "Memorandum"? What did White conclude in the article?
10. What does White compare in "Book Learning"? What were his conclusions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the world of motion pictures in 1939. What criticisms did White have of the film "Dark Victory"? How does this relate to the cinema today?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the events surrounding "Children's Books" and "Progress and Change," including the closing of the Sixth Avenue El in New York. What international events did White discuss in "Progress and Change"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss E. B. White's "First World War," examining the impact of the war on White, his involvement in military action, and his choices. When did World War I end?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)