|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What magazine did White read to stay up to date on the cinema industry in "Movies"?
2. How many pounds of cod and haddock had White caught in "Report"?
3. When was "Salt Water Farm" written?
4. How many children did E. B. White have?
5. What did White write his friend had around his land in "Poetry"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did White write about his feelings of religion in "Sabbath Morn"?
2. What did White conclude about poets in "Poetry"?
3. What was the central conflict in "First World War"?
4. When did "Hot Weather" take place? What imagery did White exhibit in the essay?
5. What news did White discover in "Progress and Change"? What nostalgia did it bring up?
6. What did White discover about his expenses on the farm in "Security"? What was he doing in the narrative?
7. When was "The Summer Catarrh" written? What did White write about his allergies in this essay?
8. What was White's impression of the World's Fair in "World of Tomorrow"?
9. What did White describe doing in "Removal"? What was White's difficulty in this transition?
10. Why did Charles come over in "The Flocks We Watch by Night"? What did he and White do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss E. B. White's "First World War," examining the impact of the war on White, his involvement in military action, and his choices. When did World War I end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ideas and realities of dictatorship and fascism and analyze White's "Freedom." What political beliefs and ideologies are presented in "Freedom"?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss E. B. White's relationship and feelings about religion. What indications did White give of his philosophies in "Sabbath Morn"?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)