|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many grade sheep did White report having in "Report"?
2. When was "Hot Weather" written?
3. What book about a bee did White cite in "Children's Books"?
4. White wrote in "Children's Book's" that he'd shared his armchair with what book for the past 3 weeks?
5. What did White say grew in the patch close to the farm in "Salt Water Farm"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was White inundated with children's books in "Children's Books"? What books did he mention?
2. When was "Report" written? What did this article entail?
3. Who did White write a letter to in "Walden"? Why?
4. What was White's subject matter in "Town Meeting"? What conclusion did he reach?
5. How vast was the farm White owned and described in "Salt Water Farm"?
6. Describe the contradictions in E. B. White's nature as viewed through his writing.
7. What did White discover about his expenses on the farm in "Security"? What was he doing in the narrative?
8. Who did White see speak in "Camp Meeting"? What were his conclusions of the speech?
9. What foreshadowing can be seen in White's second section of articles in One Man's Meat?
10. What events did White describe in "A Week in April"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the emergence of the census in the United States and how this affected White and others in the early 1940s. What was the opposition to the census about?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss White's use of symbolism and imagery in "The World of Tomorrow" and "A Boston Terrier." What metaphors and simile did White illuminate in "The World of Tomorrow"? How is it symbolic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the different magazines discussed in the article "Farm Paper" and discuss how they reflect E. B. White's personality and choices. Why did White choose The Rural New Yorker?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)