|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Clear Days" what Disney film did White discuss?
2. In "Hot Weather," White wrote of beaches with bathhouses that smelled like what?
3. What was the name of E. B. White's wife?
4. Where did E. B. White move from to Maine?
5. White wrote that the threat of what was "always in the pit of your stomach" in "Salt Water Farm"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What had White and his wife gone in search of in "Fro-Joy"? What was White's conclusion?
2. What events did White describe in "A Week in April"?
3. When did "Hot Weather" take place? What imagery did White exhibit in the essay?
4. Describe the contradictions in E. B. White's nature as viewed through his writing.
5. Why was White inundated with children's books in "Children's Books"? What books did he mention?
6. Why did Charles come over in "The Flocks We Watch by Night"? What did he and White do?
7. What did White criticize about modern films in "Movies"?
8. When was "Report" written? What did this article entail?
9. What obstacle did White encounter in arranging his new office in "Incoming Basket"? What was his solution?
10. What did White discover about his expenses on the farm in "Security"? What was he doing in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What did White ponder about sentimentality and nostalgia in "Flo-Joy"? What were his conclusions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the differences between schools in New York and rural Maine. How did the teacher responsibilities differ in the two settings? Did the subjects remain the same?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hitler's Mein Kampf and the state of World War II during 1940 and 1941. How is White's writing reflective of his emotional state about the war?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)