|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much did membership cost White to join the society in "Compost"?
(a) 6 dollars.
(b) 5 dollars.
(c) 3 dollars.
(d) 1 dollar.
2. What did White write in "Morningtime and Eveningtime" was "in the western part of town, over on the river where it joins the sea"?
(a) The orchards.
(b) The docks.
(c) The spotting post.
(d) Rocky Point.
3. Who did White claim had been able to succeed because he was able to see the world as a whole and was not hampered by any limiting thoughts?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Charlie Chaplin.
4. What hung on the west wall of White's cottage in "On a Florida Key"?
(a) A school degree.
(b) A painting.
(c) An Indian rug.
(d) A bathing suit.
5. Where did White have lunch on Tuesday in "A Winter Diary," describing it as "booths and pine paneling and a voice singing 'I can bear the bells of Monterey"?
(a) In a barn.
(b) At a neighbors house.
(c) At home.
(d) The taproom.
6. What society had White joined in "Compost"?
(a) World Wildlife Federation.
(b) The National Rifle Association.
(c) The Sierra Club.
(d) Friends of the Land.
7. Who did White take with him to revisit his childhood lake in "Once More to the Lake"?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His son.
(c) His father.
(d) His wife.
8. In what year did White's father rent a cabin on a lake in Maine and take his family there for the month of August in "Once More to the Lake"?
9. In "Book Learning," White wrote that what, "however sound in principle, often seems strangely unrelated to, and unaware of, the vital, grueling job of making a living by farming"?
(a) Scientific agriculture.
(b) Philosophic reasoning.
(c) Scientific logic.
10. Who wrote the book that was given to White in "The Practical Farmer"?
(a) T. C. Morrison.
(b) J. A. Williams.
(c) S. E. DeVille.
(d) H. A. Highstone.
11. What did E. B. White claim there was a lot of in him, which were not joiners in "Compost"?
12. In "Maine Speech," White wrote that the dialect in Maine "is as different from the tongue spoken in New York as Dutch is from" what?
13. White wrote that a gentleman had come to his house to adjust what the other day in "Fall"?
(a) A compass.
(b) A rifle sight.
(d) A plow.
14. White wrote in "Motor Cars" that the "motor car is, more than any other object, the expression of the" what?
(a) Nation's character.
(b) Diesel's passion.
(c) Ford's dream.
(d) Public's wealth.
15. Aunt Poo had married a man from where in "Aunt Poo"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did White have to use to cure ringworm as a child in "Once More to the Lake"?
2. In what village did White and his family seek shelter at in "A Winter Diary"?
3. What president did White refer to in "Lime"?
4. What day of the week does "A Winter Diary" begin?
5. How many deaths were in the town the last year in "Fall"?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)