|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where was White while writing "The Trailer Park"?
2. When was "Book Learning" written?
(a) July, 1942.
(b) June, 1942.
(c) April, 1942.
(d) September, 1942.
3. When was "Memorandum" written?
(a) December, 1941.
(b) June, 1941.
(c) January, 1942.
(d) October, 1941.
4. What fruit did White find labeled as having dye added in "On a Florida Key"?
(a) A pineapple.
(b) An apple.
(c) An orange.
(d) A mango.
5. In what village did White and his family seek shelter at in "A Winter Diary"?
6. Who did White claim had been able to succeed because he was able to see the world as a whole and was not hampered by any limiting thoughts?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(c) Charlie Chaplin.
7. What book did White claim had been so successful because it is so forthright without restrictions in "Compost"?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Oxford English Dictionary.
(c) Mein Kampf.
(d) The Constitution.
8. In "Maine Speech," White wrote that the dialect in Maine "is as different from the tongue spoken in New York as Dutch is from" what?
9. What did White write that people say in Maine when "you are holding a wedge for somebody to tap with a hammer"?
(a) "Tunk it a little."
(b) "Bop it right."
(c) "Tap it in."
(d) "Slap 'er now."
10. What governmental program sponsored the limestone donations in "Lime"?
(a) The Philadelphia Agreement.
(b) Washington's Fix.
(c) The Great Bandage.
(d) New Deal.
11. When was "Fall" written?
(a) August, 1940.
(b) November, 1940.
(c) September, 1941.
(d) October, 1941.
12. How much did membership cost White to join the society in "Compost"?
(a) 6 dollars.
(b) 1 dollar.
(c) 3 dollars.
(d) 5 dollars.
13. When was "Morningtime and Eveningtime" written?
(a) September, 1942.
(b) September, 1941.
(c) August, 1942.
(d) August, 1941.
14. White wrote that a gentleman had come to his house to adjust what the other day in "Fall"?
(a) A compass.
(b) A rifle sight.
(d) A plow.
15. White wrote in "Sanitation," "The good world will be impossible to achieve until parents quit teaching their children about" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. White wrote that he was writing on the fourth day of what battle in "Compost"?
2. How many young men did White say had gone into the service from his town in "Fall"?
3. In "Freedom," White berated those who are inclined to think positively about the results brought about by what?
4. White wrote in "A Shepherd's Life" that his goose would lay her what egg today?
5. In "Book Learning," White wrote that what, "however sound in principle, often seems strangely unrelated to, and unaware of, the vital, grueling job of making a living by farming"?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)