|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was "Report" written?
(a) November, 1939.
(b) December, 1939.
(c) February, 1940.
(d) March, 1940.
2. What day of the week did White begin "A Week in April"?
3. When had White registered for the draft when he became eligible in "First World War"?
(a) September, 1918.
(b) January, 1919.
(c) August, 1918.
(d) February, 1919.
4. What did White see hunting in a field as he drove his son to school in "Second World War"?
(a) A pack of wolves.
(b) A cat.
(c) A fox.
(d) Three men.
5. What large and unattractive item did White write "came to be a sort of symbol of what I was trying to escape from" in "Removal"?
(a) A chest.
(b) A bookshelf.
(c) An armoir.
(d) A mirror.
6. How much money had White calculated it cost him to maintain one turkey on his farm in "Security"?
7. What initial did White refer to his neighbor who had died in "A Week in April"?
8. What day did White go to the campground for the pièce de résistance in "Camp Meeting"?
9. What is the last of the animals White listed having in "Report"?
(a) A beaver.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A captive mouse.
(d) A hawk.
10. In "Walden," White wrote, "We may all be ______ yet, whether we like it or not."
11. Who had a campground in the next county in "Camp Meeting"?
(a) The Catholics.
(b) The Jewish.
(c) The Methodists.
(d) The Omish.
12. "The Flocks We Watch by Night" begins on the "afternoon of the day after the first" what?
(a) Goose migration.
(b) Killing frost.
(c) Full moon.
(d) Hail storm.
13. What grew by the potatoes below the barn in "Salt Water Farm"?
(a) Mustard seed.
14. What train line in New York did White discover was being demolished in "Progress and Change"?
(a) Sixth Avenue El.
(b) The 14th Street El.
(c) The G Train.
(d) The A Train.
15. To whom did White write an imaginary letter in "Walden"?
(a) Ivan Alekseyevich Bunin.
(b) Henry David Thoreau.
(c) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(d) Eugene Gladstone O'Neill.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did White write made the dogs uneasy in the beginning of "A Week in April"?
2. The first edition of One Man's Meat was published in what year?
3. What game sport did White describe in "Progress and Change"?
4. Who did White go to hear speak at the campground in "Camp Meeting"?
5. White wrote that the threat of what was "always in the pit of your stomach" in "Salt Water Farm"?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)