|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did White write was closely associated with evening and day's end in "Hot Weather"?
2. What infirmity did the Boston terrier White had once owned have in "A Boston Terrier"?
(a) No bladder control.
(b) Blind in one eye.
(c) Deaf in one ear.
(d) Missing one leg.
3. In "Walden," White wrote, "I have never knelt at the grave of a philosopher nor placed wreaths on" what?
(a) Sickly actors.
(b) Dead presidents.
(c) Moldy poets.
(d) Decayed philosophers.
4. What kind of dog was Fred?
(b) German Shepherd.
(d) Great Dane.
5. What movie did White cite in which Bette Davis plays a woman who relinquishes her wealth to move to the country to be with her physician husband in "Movies"?
(a) "Dark Victory."
(b) "Kid Galahad."
6. What did White claim was "painfully unimaginative in its attempt to perpetuate a faith that has been gutted by so many fires"?
7. When had White registered for the draft when he became eligible in "First World War"?
(a) September, 1918.
(b) February, 1919.
(c) January, 1919.
(d) August, 1918.
8. In "Hot Weather," White wrote of beaches with bathhouses that smelled like what?
(a) Sour towels.
(b) Dead fish.
(c) Unwashed feet.
(d) Garbage cans.
9. How many pounds of cod and haddock had White caught in "Report"?
10. Three of the pieces in One Man's Meat were originally published in what magazine?
(a) Harper's Bazaar.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) New York Magazine.
(d) Literary Monthly.
11. White wrote that the threat of what was "always in the pit of your stomach" in "Salt Water Farm"?
12. Where had White's son attended a "medium-priced private institution" in "Education"?
(a) New York.
(c) New Jersey.
13. What did White write "a hot-weather sign" in "Hot Weather"?
(a) The comma.
(b) The exclamation point.
(c) The question mark.
(d) The asterick.
14. The first edition of One Man's Meat was published in what year?
15. What basket did E. B. White decide was unnecessary on his Maine desk in "Incoming Basket"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did White accompany on a day of lobster fishing in "Second World War"?
2. In the end of "The Flocks We Watch by Night" White and his neighbor ended up at the neighbor's house doing what?
3. In "Fro-Joy," White and his wife set out to find a neighbor willing to lend what?
4. In what year was E. B. White's Forward to One Man's Meat written?
5. What did White write his friend had around his land in "Poetry"?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)