|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stephanie visit Joe Morelli's mother, Mrs. Morelli, in Chapter 5?
2. When Stephanie decides she's not comfortable with a gun, what does she buy instead to defend herself against her would-be attacker?
3. What happens at the Stark Street Gym in Chapter 7 when Stephanie threatens to call the police if Benito Ramirez isn't kept away from her?
4. Who enters her bathroom in Chapter 6 while Stephanie is enjoying a hot shower?
5. When Stephanie goes to apply for the file clerk job, what other position does the office manager tell her they have an opening for since one of their employees is out with a busted appendix?
Short Essay Questions
1. What feelings does seeing Morelli again stir in Stephanie?
2. How is Joe Morelli cleared in the Kulesza shooting by the end of the book?
3. What factors make Ranger better suited for bounty hunting than Stephanie?
4. Explain Stephanie's encounter with Lula in Chapter 10.
5. When Ranger joins Stephanie in Chapter 5 to search Morelli's apartment, how does he fit or not fit the image Stephanie has of him as a bounty hunter?
6. Does Lonnie Dodd respect Stephanie as a bounty hunter?
7. How does Mrs. Morelli humiliate Stephanie in Chapter 5?
8. What does Jimmy Alpha reveal to Stephanie about himself at the end of Chapter 13?
9. Explain Eddie Gazarra's version of what happened the night Ziggy Kulesza was shot.
10. Who does Stephanie blame for her sexual encounter with Morelli at Tasty Pastry when she is just 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One for the Money contains numerous metaphors throughout the book. Discuss how the author uses setting as metaphors for the characters of Stephanie, Benito Ramirez, and Lula. Are there any other characters for whom the author uses setting as metaphor? Cite examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Stephanie's FTAs: Clarence Sampson, Lonnie Dodd, William Earling, and Joe Morelli. Compare and contrast these fugitives and discuss how Stephanie manages to capture each one in the end. Cite examples from the text to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
The setting of The Burg in One for the Money serves an important role in the story. It helps define Stephanie and the other characters in the book, helps shape the plot, and helps establish the story's theme. Discuss how the story would change if the setting changed to one of the following locations and explain how the new setting would alter Stephanie and the other characters, the plot, and the story's theme (Los Angeles, Honolulu, Las Vegas, or your own city).
This section contains 2,061 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)