|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stephanie decides she's not comfortable with a gun, what does she buy instead to defend herself against her would-be attacker?
2. What does Stephanie discover when she visits The Step In, the bar where Carmen Sanchez works?
3. What does Stephanie threaten to do in order to get a job in Chapter 1?
4. Who does Stephanie call instead of the police, the fire department, or her parents to assist her in freeing herself from the way Joe Morelli leaves her after searching her apartment?
5. Where does Stephanie work after school when she is 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Ranger joins Stephanie in Chapter 5 to search Morelli's apartment, how does he fit or not fit the image Stephanie has of him as a bounty hunter?
2. Why does Stephanie call Ranger for assistance instead of her father or the authorities when Morelli handcuffs her to a curtain rod?
3. Is Jimmy Alpha reliable in Chapter 7 when he promises to keep Ramirez away from Stephanie?
4. Explain Eddie Gazarra's relationship to Stephanie Plum.
5. What does Stephanie learn about Kulesza when she questions potential witnesses at Carmen Sanchez's apartment building in Chapter 4?
6. What factors make Ranger better suited for bounty hunting than Stephanie?
7. Why does Vincent Plum laugh when Stephanie asks him for an advance on the bounty for Morelli?
8. How does the Plum family dinner in Chapter 4 contribute to the atmosphere of escalating danger in the book?
9. Explain Eddie Gazarra's version of what happened the night Ziggy Kulesza was shot.
10. What is Stephanie's history with Joe Morelli?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Stephanie Plum and Joe Morelli. Tell how they are alike and how they are different, explain how they move from having opposite goals at the beginning of the book to sharing a goal by the end of the book, and discuss whether or not you think they love each other. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
One for the Money contains numerous metaphors throughout the book. Discuss how the author uses setting as metaphors for the characters of Stephanie, Benito Ramirez, and Lula. Are there any other characters for whom the author uses setting as metaphor? Cite examples from the book to support your case.
Essay Topic 3
A confidante is a character who lends the protagonist of a story a listening ear and offers advice and assistance. Ranger, Connie Rosolli, and Eddie Gazarra serve as confidantes to Stephanie Plum throughout One for the Money.
Part 1) Compare and contrast all three characters, showing how they are alike and how they are different.
Part 2) What do you think would change if these characters did not exist in the story? Use events from the text where they advised or otherwise assisted Stephanie and had an impact on her and her situation.
Part 3) Which of the three confidantes do you think is most indispensable to the story? Cite several examples from the book to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,370 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)