Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stephanie was just six years old, what game does Morelli lure her into his father's garage to play?
2. What does Stephanie discover when she visits The Step In, the bar where Carmen Sanchez works?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 2, what does Stephanie witness Mooch Morelli doing?
4. What does Stephanie do when she spots Joe Morelli for the first time after three years of not hearing from him?
5. Which of the following statements is NOT true about Stark Street?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Ranger agrees to help Stephanie?
2. Do you think Morelli wants to keep his relationship with Stephanie at the friendship level by the end of the book, or do you think he wants more than friendship?
3. What factors make Stephanie ill-suited for bounty hunting?
4. Why does Stephanie suspect that Ramirez killed Sal and Louis?
5. Explain how Stephanie goes to the Vincent Plum Bail Bonding Company to apply for the position of file clerk yet ends up getting hired as a bounty hunter.
6. When Stephanie questions Lula and Jackie in Chapter 7, is she a convincing liar?
7. Is Jimmy Alpha reliable in Chapter 7 when he promises to keep Ramirez away from Stephanie?
8. Explain Stephanie's encounter with Lula in Chapter 10.
9. How does Mrs. Morelli humiliate Stephanie in Chapter 5?
10. Describe Stark Street.
Essay Topic 1
The setting of The Burg in One for the Money serves an important role in the story. It helps define Stephanie and the other characters in the book, helps shape the plot, and helps establish the story's theme. Discuss how the story would change if the setting changed to one of the following locations and explain how the new setting would alter Stephanie and the other characters, the plot, and the story's theme (Los Angeles, Honolulu, Las Vegas, or your own city).
Essay Topic 2
One for the Money features three antagonists: Joe Morelli, Benito Ramirez, and Jimmy Alpha.
Part 1) Compare and contrast these three characters. How are they alike and how are they different?
Part 2) Discuss whether the type of conflict each antagonist provides is primarily physical (external) or emotional (internal), or whether the character provides an equal mixture of both kinds of conflict. Cite examples from the book to support your conclusions.
Part 3) Which antagonist do you think poses the most physical and emotional risk to Stephanie? Cite examples from the book to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
One for the Money blends elements of mystery, comedy, and romance. It also borrows some elements from Gothic novels. Discuss the mixture of genres in the book and cite examples from the text to show the influence of each genre on the elements of the story. Explain how the story might change if you removed the comedy and the romance subplot.
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)