|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stephanie goes to apply for the file clerk job, what other position does the office manager tell her they have an opening for since one of their employees is out with a busted appendix?
2. Who is the neighborhood bad boy that Stephanie reminisces about in the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. Where does Stephanie encounter Joe Morelli in Chapter 3?
4. While at her parents' house for dinner at the end of Chapter 7, who does Stephanie learn has called her family trying to locate her?
5. What smells greet Stephanie on the stairwell of the Stark Street Gym?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephanie learn about Kulesza when she questions potential witnesses at Carmen Sanchez's apartment building in Chapter 4?
2. How does Mrs. Morelli humiliate Stephanie in Chapter 5?
3. Why do you think Ranger agrees to help Stephanie?
4. Why does Stephanie call Ranger for assistance instead of her father or the authorities when Morelli handcuffs her to a curtain rod?
5. What is Stephanie's history with Joe Morelli?
6. What is Stephanie's financial situation as the book opens?
7. What actions in Chapter 6 indicate that Joe Morelli is better at surveillance and apprehension than Stephanie?
8. What feelings does Stephanie have once she learns that Joe Morelli is the fugitive she has to pursue?
9. What factors make Ranger better suited for bounty hunting than Stephanie?
10. Why does Stephanie want to install a security system in Morelli's Jeep, a Jeep that doesn't belong to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of The Burg in One for the Money serves an important role in the story. It helps define Stephanie and the other characters in the book, helps shape the plot, and helps establish the story's theme. Discuss how the story would change if the setting changed to one of the following locations and explain how the new setting would alter Stephanie and the other characters, the plot, and the story's theme (Los Angeles, Honolulu, Las Vegas, or your own city).
Essay Topic 2
Cars and Stephanie's lack of one, or trouble with one, is a continuing motif throughout One for the Money.
Part 1) Discuss the meaning of the Miata, the Nova, and the Jeep Cherokee as well as the significance of Stephanie's lack of a car when she is apprehending William Earling.
Part 2) Indicate whether you believe the vehicles and the incident of Stephanie lacking a vehicle each symbolizes the same thing or if they each symbolize something different.
Part 3)Discuss what function these symbols serve in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing occurs numerous times in One for the Money. Cite 3 examples of foreshadowing in the novel and explain how this technique is used to indicate events to come.
This section contains 1,293 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)