|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Bradfords leave on Myron's bed?
2. Where do the police look for the missing boy?
3. How do Bradford's men react when Myron questions them about hitting Mabel?
4. Who does Myron say he is trying to keep out of jail?
5. Why does Esperanza claim to hate Jessica?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Win and Myron find out about Brenda in Chapter 35?
2. What does Wickner tell Myron about Elizabeth Bradford's death?
3. How does Myron change Mabel's cautious attitude in Chapter 37?
4. Why does Myron turn down Brenda?
5. Why do the detectives say they want to speak to Brenda?
6. Why does the picnic prove a welcome distraction for Brenda and Myron?
7. Why does Mabel say she killed Anita, Horace and Brenda?
8. What information does Francine give Myron in this section?
9. What does Arthur say is the truth about Elizabeth's death?
10. Why does Wickner kill himself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Myron's methods as a detective.
1) What is the evidence that leads to Myron solving the case?
2) What mistakes does Myron make during the course of the story? How does he rectify his mistakes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the criminal mind.
1) In what ways is Anita the perfect example of a criminal mind?
2) How much research do you think was needed to make Mabel a realistic criminal?
3) How does Coben develop Mabel's character to make her realistic as a murderer and psychopath?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)