|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Win do to Clay's face?
2. Who is waiting for Myron outside the Bradford estate?
3. Why does Myron think Mabel killed Horace?
4. What riots does Al mention in chapter 27?
5. How does Big Cyndi greet Myron outside his office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What new information does Win give Myron on the way to meeting Clay Jackson?
2. What secret has Bradford been keeping all these years?
3. How does Win persuade Jackson to talk?
4. What does Arthur say is the truth about Elizabeth's death?
5. Why does Myron turn down Brenda?
6. What do Win and Myron find out about Brenda in Chapter 35?
7. How did the Bradfords cover up Elizabeth's death?
8. How does Myron change Mabel's cautious attitude in Chapter 37?
9. How is Brenda's body discovered?
10. What does Arthur Bradford tell Myron about his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)