|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What university does Brenda attend?
2. What did the big man do to Mabel when she did not come forward with information?
3. What did Horace use to cut the boy's Achilles tendons?
4. Who is waiting for Myron when he gets home in Chapter 19?
5. What is the name of Horace's supervisor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Myron and Brenda find in Horace's apartment?
2. What does Myron think he has achieved by visiting the Bradfords?
3. How does Myron react to the detectives accusations that Brenda killed her father?
4. Why does Esperanza say she hates Jessica?
5. What does Bradford say he wants Myron to tell him?
6. How does the author describe Deborah Whittaker?
7. What example does Brenda give of how protective her father could be?
8. What new information does Zuckerman give Myron in Chapter 8?
9. What new information does Mabel give Myron about Brenda's mother?
10. Why do the police think Brenda killed her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Wickner's death guilt affect his life? Why does he decide suicide is his only option? What would have happened to him if he had exposed the Bradford family earlier?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Arthur's feelings for Brenda.
1) How did not having a real relationship with Brenda affect Arthur?
2) How does Brenda's death affect Arthur?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)