|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Myron think may have blackmailed the Bradford family?
2. How does Myron know Horace?
3. Who does Mabel say calls her to check up on Brenda?
4. Who did Myron live with before moving in with Jessica?
5. Who did the caller want Brenda to retain as her agent?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Norm Zuckerman want Myron to help?
2. What does Win tell Myron about F.J. on the way to Brenda's practice?
3. Why does Esperanza say she hates Jessica?
4. What does Myron find out about the Bradfords in the library?
5. What does Brenda remember about the lawyer her father had been contacting?
6. What does Bradford say he wants Myron to tell him?
7. Why does Mabel think the two men after her brother are dangerous?
8. How does the author describe Deborah Whittaker?
9. What do Myron and Brenda find in Horace's locker?
10. Why do the police think Brenda killed her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the criminal mind.
1) In what ways is Anita the perfect example of a criminal mind?
2) How much research do you think was needed to make Mabel a realistic criminal?
3) How does Coben develop Mabel's character to make her realistic as a murderer and psychopath?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1990s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)