|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Win's apartment building?
2. Who does Myron think may have killed Horace?
3. How does Win think they should deal with F.J. Ache?
4. Why is Brenda shocked when she enters the hotel lobby?
5. What is the name of the diner Myron goes to in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Myron deal with Mario's attack?
2. What information does Brenda have about her father's kidnapping?
3. How does Myron react to the detectives accusations that Brenda killed her father?
4. How does Myron know Brenda's father, Horace?
5. What agreement do Slaughter and Myron come to in Chapter 1?
6. What does Myron say about her relationship with her mother?
7. Why does Esperanza say she hates Jessica?
8. What do the Bradfords tell Myron in the library?
9. What does Myron think he has achieved by visiting the Bradfords?
10. What happens in the novel's prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the partnership between Win and Myron.
1) What are the dynamics of their partnership?
2) How do they work together to solve the case?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the book and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interactions with each other?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)