|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the caller want Brenda to retain as her agent?
2. Why does Francine say they are meeting in a woods?
3. What does Myron tell the police that Brenda wants to see?
4. What do the Bradfords expect Myron and Win to discuss with them?
5. What does Brenda study at school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the police think Brenda killed her father?
2. What happens in the novel's prologue?
3. Why does Mabel think the two men after her brother are dangerous?
4. How does the author describe Deborah Whittaker?
5. What does Myron say about her relationship with her mother?
6. How does Myron know Brenda's father, Horace?
7. What new information does Brenda give Myron in this section?
8. What agreement do Slaughter and Myron come to in Chapter 1?
9. How does Myron react to the detectives accusations that Brenda killed her father?
10. What does Whittaker tell Myron about Elizabeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Arthur's feelings for Brenda.
1) How did not having a real relationship with Brenda affect Arthur?
2) How does Brenda's death affect Arthur?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Look at the structure of the book.
1. How does the author use character and dialogue to drive the narrative?
2. Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the book's themes?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)