|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Bobby Hutton born?
2. When do Delphine and her sisters go to San Francisco in "San Francisco Treat"?
3. What do Hirohito and his mother bring to Delphine and her sisters in "I Birthed a Nation"?
4. What is the name of Eunice's middle sister?
5. Where was Huey Newton born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Delphine ask her mother for in "Expert Colored Counting"? How does Cecile respond?
2. What rule are the sisters breaking by cleaning Cecile's kitchen in "I Birthed a Nation"?
3. What is signified by the sisters cleaning Cecile's kitchen in "I Birthed a Nation"?
4. What does Sister Mukumbu teach the class in "Civic Pride"?
5. How do the civil rights events on the East Coast and the West Coast differ in the narrative?
6. What poem has Vonetta decided to recite in "Itsy Bitsy Spider"? What does Cecile remark about the poem?
7. What does the title of "Movable Type" refer to in the narrative?
8. What happens at the People's Center in "Counting and Skimming"?
9. What is foreshadowed by the encounter with Hirohito in "San Francisco Treat"?
10. How has Delphine's behavior changed in "Wish We Had a Camera"? What has led to the change?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Big Ma in the narrative. How does Big Ma feel about Cecile? Why? What causes Big Ma to worry about her granddaughters' visit to Oakland?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of the People's Center. Why are Delphine and her sisters sent to the center? What do they do when they arrive there? What are the people like at the People's Center?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Delphine, Vonetta, and Fern's visit to San Francisco. What tourist attractions do the sisters visit? What are their impressions of the people in San Francisco? How do the people here differ from those in Oakland?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)