|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Delphine refuse to take her sisters to the People's Center in "Eating Crow"?
2. What name does Delphine call Hirohito in "China Who"?
3. What do Delphine and her sisters do in the morning in "I Birthed a Nation"?
4. What name is listed as the author of Cecile's poem in "I Birthed a Nation"?
5. Who does Delphine tell Vonetta she is just like in "Itsy Bitsy Spider"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What poem has Vonetta decided to recite in "Itsy Bitsy Spider"? What does Cecile remark about the poem?
2. What are Big Ma's feelings in regard to the Black Panther Party and its members?
3. What is revealed about Hirohito's character in "China Who"?
4. What does Sister Mukumbu teach the class in "Civic Pride"?
5. What plan does Delphine reveal to her sisters in "San Francisco Treat"?
6. What is foreshadowed by the encounter with Hirohito in "San Francisco Treat"?
7. How is the theme of counterculture explored in "Wish We Had a Camera"?
8. What do Delphine and her peers learn about Bobby Hutton in "Rally for Bobby"?
9. How does Cecile respond to Delphine's shopping at Safeway in "Big Red S"?
10. What happens at the People's Center in "Counting and Skimming"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Cecile's arrest in the novel. Why is Cecile arrested? Who is arrested with her? For how long is she detained? What have the police done to Cecile's home when arresting her?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the origins of the Black Panther Party. Who founded the organization? When was it founded? What were its missions? What role does the Party play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racism in One Crazy Summer. How is this theme developed through setting and character? What symbolism and imagery relates to the theme of racism? Where do Delphine and her sisters encounter racism?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)