|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cecile grudgingly buy for her daughters in "Expert Colored Counting"?
2. How are the people of San Francisco described in "Wish We Had a Camera"?
3. Where did Delphine witness police officers calling her father cruel names?
4. Where was Bobby Hutton born?
5. Why does Delphine refuse to take her sisters to the People's Center in "Eating Crow"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Delphine's behavior changed in "Wish We Had a Camera"? What has led to the change?
2. How does Cecile respond to Delphine's shopping at Safeway in "Big Red S"?
3. What poem has Vonetta decided to recite in "Itsy Bitsy Spider"? What does Cecile remark about the poem?
4. What leads Delphine to go to Safeway in "Big Red S"?
5. How do the civil rights events on the East Coast and the West Coast differ in the narrative?
6. What happens when Delphine and her sisters return home in "Wish We Had a Camera"? What are the implications of this scenario?
7. How would you relate the Black Panthers, flower children, and feminists in the novel?
8. What are Big Ma's feelings in regard to the Black Panther Party and its members?
9. What is revealed about Hirohito's character in "China Who"?
10. What does Kelvin reveal about Brother Woods in "Civic Pride"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the family history of Delphine and her sisters. By whom have they been raised? When did their mother abandon the family? What kind of relationship have the sisters had with their mother up until their arrival in Oakland?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the plot structure of One Crazy Summer. Where in the narrative do the exposition, rising action, and climax occur? What is revealed in the falling action and denouement of the story? Do you feel the plot is structured traditionally? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racism in One Crazy Summer. How is this theme developed through setting and character? What symbolism and imagery relates to the theme of racism? Where do Delphine and her sisters encounter racism?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)