|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Delphine tell Vonetta she is just like in "Itsy Bitsy Spider"?
2. When do Delphine and her sisters go to San Francisco in "San Francisco Treat"?
3. Where is Cecile's poem discovered in "I Birthed a Nation"?
4. What is the phrase "eating crow" an example of?
5. Why does Fern's tummy hurt in "Big Red S"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed by the encounter with Hirohito in "San Francisco Treat"?
2. What is revealed about Hirohito's character in "China Who"?
3. What leads Delphine to go to Safeway in "Big Red S"?
4. What does the title of "Movable Type" refer to in the narrative?
5. What does Kelvin reveal about Brother Woods in "Civic Pride"?
6. What rule are the sisters breaking by cleaning Cecile's kitchen in "I Birthed a Nation"?
7. What are Big Ma's feelings in regard to the Black Panther Party and its members?
8. How do the civil rights events on the East Coast and the West Coast differ in the narrative?
9. How has Cecile's behavior toward Delphine changed in "Movable Type"?
10. What is signified by the sisters cleaning Cecile's kitchen in "I Birthed a Nation"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the family history of Delphine and her sisters. By whom have they been raised? When did their mother abandon the family? What kind of relationship have the sisters had with their mother up until their arrival in Oakland?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Cecile's arrest in the novel. Why is Cecile arrested? Who is arrested with her? For how long is she detained? What have the police done to Cecile's home when arresting her?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the plot structure of One Crazy Summer. Where in the narrative do the exposition, rising action, and climax occur? What is revealed in the falling action and denouement of the story? Do you feel the plot is structured traditionally? Why or why not?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)