|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cecile tell Vonetta about the poem she plans to recite at the rally in "Itsy Bitsy Spider"?
2. Where was Huey Newton born?
3. Whom do Delphine and her sisters encounter on their way to San Francisco in "San Francisco Treat"?
4. Where does Cecile say her daughters live when she is arrested?
5. Who does Delphine realize are right after her mother's arrest in "The Clark Sisters"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Delphine and her sisters return home in "Wish We Had a Camera"? What are the implications of this scenario?
2. What is signified by the sisters cleaning Cecile's kitchen in "I Birthed a Nation"?
3. What does Sister Mukumbu teach the class in "Civic Pride"?
4. How has Cecile's behavior toward Delphine changed in "Movable Type"?
5. How does irony apply to the situation where Delphine makes dinner in "Big Red S"?
6. How is the theme of counterculture explored in "Wish We Had a Camera"?
7. What do Delphine and her peers learn about Bobby Hutton in "Rally for Bobby"?
8. What plan does Delphine reveal to her sisters in "San Francisco Treat"?
9. What rule are the sisters breaking by cleaning Cecile's kitchen in "I Birthed a Nation"?
10. How do the civil rights events on the East Coast and the West Coast differ in the narrative?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is revealed about Cecile's childhood and adolescence in the novel? What led Cecile to living with Louis and his brother? How do you think these factors influenced Cecile's decision to abandon her family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of childhood in One Crazy Summer. In what ways is Delphine prevented from enjoying her childhood in the narrative? What are the instances where she is able to "be a child" again? How does this theme apply to Cecile?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of poetry in One Crazy Summer. How is poetry employed as a means of propaganda for the Black Panther Party? What contributions does Cecile make with her poetry? What is the power that poetry holds?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)