|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Delphine and her sisters reach San Francisco in "San Francisco Treat"?
2. In "Civic Pride," Sister Mukumbu teaches the students about their rights and how to protect their rights against whom?
3. What is Hirohito's mother called in the narrative?
4. Where do Delphine and her sisters go on the streetcar in "Wish We Had a Camera"?
5. What has been wrecked in Cecile's house by the police during her arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cecile respond to Delphine's shopping at Safeway in "Big Red S"?
2. Who arrives to help Delphine and her sisters in "I Birthed a Nation"? What impact does this have on the protagonist?
3. What does Delphine ask her mother for in "Expert Colored Counting"? How does Cecile respond?
4. How does Delphine respond to her teachings at the People's Center in "Rally for Bobby"?
5. What are Big Ma's feelings in regard to the Black Panther Party and its members?
6. How does irony apply to the situation where Delphine makes dinner in "Big Red S"?
7. What do Delphine and her peers learn about Bobby Hutton in "Rally for Bobby"?
8. What is signified by the sisters cleaning Cecile's kitchen in "I Birthed a Nation"?
9. What happens when Delphine and her sisters return home in "Wish We Had a Camera"? What are the implications of this scenario?
10. What happens at the People's Center in "Counting and Skimming"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of poetry in One Crazy Summer. How is poetry employed as a means of propaganda for the Black Panther Party? What contributions does Cecile make with her poetry? What is the power that poetry holds?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the symbolism of Cecile's kitchen in the novel. What does Cecile's kitchen represent to her? What does it represent to her children? Why is it significant that Cecile bars the children from entering the kitchen?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the settings of Brooklyn, New York, and Oakland, California in 1968. What differences do the Gaither sisters find in their new environment? How do the people differ in these settings? How does the culture differ?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)