|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago did Delpine's mother abandon her family?
2. From whose perspective is the narrative related?
3. Who gets caught by the stewardess and it told to sit down on the flight in "Golden Gate Bridge"?
4. What girl makes fun of Fern in class in "Coloring and La-La"?
5. What are the students tasked with doing in class in "Coloring and La-La"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Cecile's kitchen in the novel?
2. What historical allusions are made in "For the People"? Who is referenced?
3. What is revealed to be in the package sent by Cecile to the People's Center in "Breakfast Program"?
4. What is reflected through Big Ma's perceptions of the people at the airport?
5. What is one example of the theme of racism seen in the first chapters of the novel?
6. How would you describe the relationship between the Gaither sisters, Pa, and Big Ma?
7. Why does Cecile send her daughters to the People's Center in "Inseparable"?
8. What causes the conflict between Delphine and her sisters in "Golden Gate Bridge"?
9. What are Delphine's initial perceptions of the Black Panthers in the novel?
10. Where are the Gaither sisters traveling in "Cassius Clay Clouds"? How do they feel about their trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of counterculture in the novel. What are different examples of counterculture that are experienced by the Gaither sisters? What are their impressions of the counterculture in San Francisco in 1968?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the origins of the Black Panther Party. Who founded the organization? When was it founded? What were its missions? What role does the Party play in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the family history of Delphine and her sisters. By whom have they been raised? When did their mother abandon the family? What kind of relationship have the sisters had with their mother up until their arrival in Oakland?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)