|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time is Delphine and her sisters' regular bedtime?
2. In what year did Cassius Clay change his name to Muhammed Ali?
3. Who uses a black marker to color Fern's doll in "Coloring and La-La"?
4. Where do the Gaither sisters live with their father?
5. At what time do Delphine and her sisters return to their mother's home in "Crazy Mother Mountain"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are feminist ideals demonstrated through Cecile's character in the novel?
2. What are Delphine's initial perceptions of the Black Panthers in the novel?
3. How would you describe the relationship between the Gaither sisters, Pa, and Big Ma?
4. What does Cecile give to Delphine to take to the People's Center in "Inseparable"?
5. What is symbolic about Cecile's kitchen in the novel?
6. Why does Cecile send her daughters to the People's Center in "Inseparable"?
7. What historical allusions are made in "For the People"? Who is referenced?
8. Why does one of the Black Panthers harass Fern in "Breakfast Program"?
9. What has Vonetta done to Fern's doll in "Coloring and La-La"? What are the repercussions of this action?
10. Why does Big Ma worry about the girls' trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who was Huey Newton and what was the "Free Huey" campaign about? Why was Newton arrested? Why does Big Ma believe he deserves to stay in jail? Who do you believe is right?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of childhood in One Crazy Summer. In what ways is Delphine prevented from enjoying her childhood in the narrative? What are the instances where she is able to "be a child" again? How does this theme apply to Cecile?
Essay Topic 3
What are Delphine's experiences like when staying at the Woods' home? How do Delphine's experiences there differ from her experiences staying with Cecile? How are Delphine and her sisters treated by Hirohito and Mrs. Woods?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)