|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gets up to go to the kitchen for water in "Glass of Water"?
2. What television show's theme song do kids at school sing to make fun of Delphine's name?
3. How is Hirohito's ethnicity described in "Even the Earth is a Revolutionary"?
4. How does Big Ma refer to Huey Newton?
5. Where does Delphine carry her envelope of money in the airport in "Cassius Clay Clouds"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is symbolic about Cecile's kitchen in the novel?
2. How does Delphine feel about the people and customs at the People's Center in "Even the Earth is a Revolutionary"?
3. How is the setting described at the People's Center in "Breakfast Program"?
4. What is reflected through Big Ma's perceptions of the people at the airport?
5. What are Delphine's initial perceptions of the Black Panthers in the novel?
6. What causes the conflict between Delphine and her sisters in "Golden Gate Bridge"?
7. What is one example of the theme of racism seen in the first chapters of the novel?
8. What do the Black Panthers discuss with Cecile in "For the People"?
9. How is the theme of family illustrated through the character of Delphine in "Glass of Water"?
10. What is revealed to be in the package sent by Cecile to the People's Center in "Breakfast Program"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Cecile and her relationship to the theme of feminism in the novel. What are displays of Cecile's feminism? What are the repercussions of Cecile's ideals on her children?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the family history of Delphine and her sisters. By whom have they been raised? When did their mother abandon the family? What kind of relationship have the sisters had with their mother up until their arrival in Oakland?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the settings of Brooklyn, New York, and Oakland, California in 1968. What differences do the Gaither sisters find in their new environment? How do the people differ in these settings? How does the culture differ?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)