|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cecile's last name?
2. Who gets Delphine and her sisters situated for the summer program at the People's Center in "Even the Earth is a Revolutionary"?
3. From whose perspective is the narrative related?
4. Why does Cecile mock Fern in "Inseparable"?
5. What television show's theme song do kids at school sing to make fun of Delphine's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the classroom at the People's Center described in "Even the Earth is a Revolutionary"?
2. What are the repercussions of Cecile's actions of independence in the novel?
3. What is revealed to be in the package sent by Cecile to the People's Center in "Breakfast Program"?
4. Why does Big Ma worry about the girls' trip?
5. How does Cecile behave toward her daughters upon their arrival in "Green Stucco House"?
6. Why does Big Ma ask a black woman at the airport to look after her granddaughters?
7. What has Vonetta done to Fern's doll in "Coloring and La-La"? What are the repercussions of this action?
8. What causes the conflict between Delphine and her sisters in "Golden Gate Bridge"?
9. What is reflected through Big Ma's perceptions of the people at the airport?
10. What do the Black Panthers discuss with Cecile in "For the People"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of childhood in One Crazy Summer. In what ways is Delphine prevented from enjoying her childhood in the narrative? What are the instances where she is able to "be a child" again? How does this theme apply to Cecile?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of counterculture in the novel. What are different examples of counterculture that are experienced by the Gaither sisters? What are their impressions of the counterculture in San Francisco in 1968?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Cecile's arrest in the novel. Why is Cecile arrested? Who is arrested with her? For how long is she detained? What have the police done to Cecile's home when arresting her?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)