|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who raises her hand in class to say she's not come for a revolution but to meet her mother in "Even the Earth is a Revolutionary"?
2. What is the name of Delphine's uncle?
3. How old does Delphine say she is often mistaken for due to her long legs in "Golden Gate Bridge"?
4. When did Huey Newton co-found the Black Panther Party?
5. At what time is Delphine and her sisters' regular bedtime?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Delphine's initial perceptions of the Black Panthers in the novel?
2. What is one example of the theme of racism seen in the first chapters of the novel?
3. How would you describe the relationship between the Gaither sisters, Pa, and Big Ma?
4. How is the theme of counterculture explored in the first chapters of the novel?
5. Why does Big Ma worry about the girls' trip?
6. What is symbolic about Cecile's kitchen in the novel?
7. How is the classroom at the People's Center described in "Even the Earth is a Revolutionary"?
8. What is reflected through Big Ma's perceptions of the people at the airport?
9. What has Vonetta done to Fern's doll in "Coloring and La-La"? What are the repercussions of this action?
10. How does Delphine feel about the people and customs at the People's Center in "Even the Earth is a Revolutionary"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have Delphine's, Vonetta's, and Fern's relationships with their mother changed from the beginning of the novel to the end? Whose perceptions of her mother have changed the most? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What are Delphine's experiences like when staying at the Woods' home? How do Delphine's experiences there differ from her experiences staying with Cecile? How are Delphine and her sisters treated by Hirohito and Mrs. Woods?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of racism in One Crazy Summer. How is this theme developed through setting and character? What symbolism and imagery relates to the theme of racism? Where do Delphine and her sisters encounter racism?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)