|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Delphine carry her envelope of money in the airport in "Cassius Clay Clouds"?
2. What is on Crazy Kelvin's t-shirt?
3. Where does Cecile say she should have gone to get rid of her children in "Green Stucco House"?
4. What are the students tasked with doing in class in "Coloring and La-La"?
5. In what year did Cassius Clay change his name to Muhammed Ali?
Short Essay Questions
1. What historical allusions are made in "For the People"? Who is referenced?
2. Why does Cecile send her daughters to the People's Center in "Inseparable"?
3. How is the theme of counterculture explored in the first chapters of the novel?
4. Why does Big Ma ask a black woman at the airport to look after her granddaughters?
5. What causes the conflict between Delphine and her sisters in "Golden Gate Bridge"?
6. What is reflected through Big Ma's perceptions of the people at the airport?
7. How is the theme of family illustrated through the character of Delphine in "Glass of Water"?
8. Why does Big Ma worry about the girls' trip?
9. How is the setting described at the People's Center in "Breakfast Program"?
10. What are Delphine's initial perceptions of the Black Panthers in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is revealed about Cecile's childhood and adolescence in the novel? What led Cecile to living with Louis and his brother? How do you think these factors influenced Cecile's decision to abandon her family?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of poetry in One Crazy Summer. How is poetry employed as a means of propaganda for the Black Panther Party? What contributions does Cecile make with her poetry? What is the power that poetry holds?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the settings of Brooklyn, New York, and Oakland, California in 1968. What differences do the Gaither sisters find in their new environment? How do the people differ in these settings? How does the culture differ?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)