|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the girl make fun of Fern in class in "Coloring and La-La"?
(a) For being tall.
(b) For talking back to the teacher.
(c) For being short.
(d) For carrying a doll.
2. How are the workers from the local store described in "Coloring and La-La"?
(a) Young black guys.
(b) Young white guys.
(c) Old black men.
(d) Old white men.
3. By what name do the Black Panthers refer to Cecile in "Breakfast Program"?
(a) Sister Mukumbu.
(b) Sister Inzilla.
(c) Sister Assata.
(d) Sister Pat.
4. What information does Delphine relate when she calls home in "Collect Call"?
(a) That they have arrived safely.
(b) That they are ready to go home.
(c) That their mother won't take them in.
(d) That they are out of money.
5. What are the students tasked with doing in class in "Coloring and La-La"?
(a) Coloring posters.
(b) Counting newspapers.
(c) Distributing flyers.
(d) Writing out the alphabet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Delphine read to her sisters when they go to bed in "Glass of Water"?
2. Who raises her hand in class to say she's not come for a revolution but to meet her mother in "Even the Earth is a Revolutionary"?
3. At what time do Delphine and her sisters return to their mother's home in "Crazy Mother Mountain"?
4. What is the name of the Gaither sisters' father?
5. Who wrote the novel Delphine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are feminist ideals demonstrated through Cecile's character in the novel?
2. What is reflected through Big Ma's perceptions of the people at the airport?
3. What is symbolic about Cecile's kitchen in the novel?
4. How is the theme of family illustrated through the character of Delphine in "Glass of Water"?
5. What does Cecile give to Delphine to take to the People's Center in "Inseparable"?
6. What historical allusions are made in "For the People"? Who is referenced?
7. How is the setting described at the People's Center in "Breakfast Program"?
8. Why does one of the Black Panthers harass Fern in "Breakfast Program"?
9. How would you describe the relationship between the Gaither sisters, Pa, and Big Ma?
10. Why does Big Ma ask a black woman at the airport to look after her granddaughters?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)