|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the phrase "eating crow" mean?
(a) To fail a class.
(b) To take the lead.
(c) To give up and go home.
(d) To admit you're wrong.
2. What does Delphine do in "Eating Crow" that constitutes this phrase?
(a) She takes back what she said at the People's Center.
(b) She tells her mother that she loves her.
(c) She calls her father and asks him to come and get her and her sisters.
(d) She cooks dinner.
3. When do Delphine and her sisters go to San Francisco in "San Francisco Treat"?
(a) Their second Sunday in town.
(b) Their first Saturday in town.
(c) Their second Saturday in town.
(d) Their third Saturday in town.
4. How far away is the rally in "Eating Crow"?
(a) 3 days away.
(b) 1 week away.
(c) 9 days away.
(d) 2 weeks away.
5. Whom does Cecile say Delphine sounds like when she says "Yes ma'am" in "Eating Crow"?
(c) Sister Mukumbu.
(d) Big Ma.
6. What is the phrase "eating crow" an example of?
(a) A simile.
(d) An idiom.
7. What group of people do Delphine and her sisters learn are fighting for their rights in "Counting and Skimming"?
(a) Migrant workers.
(b) Rural farmers.
(d) Union workers.
8. Who wrote the poem that Vonetta plans to recite at the rally in "Itsy Bitsy Spider"?
(a) Emily Dickinson.
(b) Brother Woods.
(d) Gerndolyn Brooks.
9. The rally of the Black Panthers is to free whom?
(a) Crazy Kelvin.
(b) Huey Newton.
(c) Bobby Hutton.
(d) Brother Woods.
10. Whom do Delphine and her sisters encounter on their way to San Francisco in "San Francisco Treat"?
(c) Mrs. Ming.
(d) Crazy Kelvin.
11. What name is listed as the author of Cecile's poem in "I Birthed a Nation"?
12. What are Delphine and Fern tasked with counting at the People's Center in "Counting and Skimming"?
13. What does Cecile grudgingly buy for her daughters in "Expert Colored Counting"?
(a) A television.
(b) A go-kart.
(c) A second-hand radio.
(d) A trip to Disneyland.
14. What word from "Eating Crow" means bewildered?
15. What has been wrecked in Cecile's house by the police during her arrest?
(a) Her bedroom.
(b) Her printing press.
(c) Her gun cabinet.
(d) Her basement.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cecile teach Delphine to work in "Movable Type"?
2. When was Fisherman's Wharf redeveloped into a tourist attraction?
3. What is the name of Eunice's middle sister?
4. How many Black Panthers are with Cecile when she is arrested in "Wish We Had a Camera"?
5. What is Hirohito's mother called in the narrative?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)