|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what grade levels is Sheila working on academically?
(a) Fourth grade reading and third grade math.
(b) Second grade math and third grade reading.
(c) Third grade reading and fourth grade math.
(d) Second grade reading and math.
2. Why does Freddie's mother come to visit Torey?
(a) Because Freddie has been coming home vomiting.
(b) Because Sheila has been hurting Freddie.
(c) Because Freddie is not making appropriate progress.
(d) Because Freddie is afraid of Sheila.
3. What does Torey tell the children they can do if they can behave?
(a) Come and sing to her.
(b) Help pick up the cake.
(c) Have free time.
(d) Have a dish of ice cream.
4. Why doesn't Sheila's father visit her in the hospital?
(a) He is not allowed to visit her.
(b) He has a phobia of hospitals.
(c) He is always drunk.
(d) He was arrested for neglect.
5. What news does Torey learn about her class?
(a) She learns that it will be moved.
(b) She learns that she will have to keep it with no aides.
(c) She learns that she will not be able to teach it any longer.
(d) She learns that it will be disbanded at the end of the year.
6. Why doesn't Sheila get to participate in this subject?
(a) Because she cannot use a pencil correctly.
(b) Because Sheila cannot be trusted in this subject.
(c) Because it gives Torey a chance to work with the other kids.
(d) Because she refuses to do any paperwork.
7. What does Torey notice when Sheila's father arrives at the hospital?
(a) He brings the uncle with him.
(b) He is not a legal guardian.
(c) He is drunk.
(d) He no longer wants Sheila.
8. What does Chad suggest they do to celebrate the win of Sheila's court case?
(a) Give the family money for food and clothes.
(b) Go for ice cream.
(c) Go out for pizza.
(d) Buy Sheila a dress.
9. What is unique about Sheila's speech pattern?
(a) She doesn't use any articles.
(b) She doesn't use any pronouns.
(c) She speaks only in the present tense.
(d) She refuses to use linking verbs.
10. What news does Sheila share with the class after they return to school after the April snowstorm?
(a) Her father got a new job.
(b) She made a new friend during the snowstorm.
(c) Her uncle is out of jail and staying with them.
(d) Her roof collapsed from the weight of the snow.
11. Why does Torey put off telling Sheila what will happen next year?
(a) She isn't allowed to tell Sheila.
(b) She doesn't want to say goodbye.
(c) She is afraid of how Sheila will react.
(d) She doesn't know how to tell her.
12. What did Sheila do to the rabbit waste?
(a) Stored it in her desk.
(b) Threw it out.
(c) Fed it to Freddie.
(d) Painted it.
13. What happens to Sheila when Chad presents her with the new dress?
(a) She asks him to be her father.
(b) She breaks down and cries.
(c) She runs to put it on.
(d) She tears it into shreads.
14. What genre of writing is found in the epilogue?
15. Why does Torey wish she had a teacher's desk in her room after talking to Ed?
(a) So the room would seem like other classrooms.
(b) So she could lose herself in her work and forget her troubles.
(c) So that she could have a place to put her head down.
(d) So she could hide behind it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Torey do to Sheila after she comes back to the classroom after destroying the things in the regular classroom?
2. How does Anton calm down Whitney's mother?
3. What is happening to Torey that has her concerned about Sheila and the class?
4. Why does Peter need to go to a special classroom instead of a regular room?
5. What do Chad and Sheila do together?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)