|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Torey tell the children they can do if they can behave?
(a) Help pick up the cake.
(b) Have a dish of ice cream.
(c) Have free time.
(d) Come and sing to her.
2. What does Torey ask Chad to do in regards to Sheila?
(a) To talk to her father about the constant beatings.
(b) To take on her case to keep her out of the state hospital.
(c) To talk to Ed on Sheila's behalf.
(d) To come into the classroom and meet Sheila.
3. What is happening to Torey that has her concerned about Sheila and the class?
(a) She is injured and will be missing a lot of work.
(b) She has to switch her classroom to another building.
(c) She has gotten the news that Sheila will move on to another class.
(d) She is concerned that she will be gone for two days to a conference.
4. What does Sheila seem to be dwelling on?
(a) Her uncle living with them.
(b) Torey and Chad becoming her parents.
(c) Her trial day and eating dinner out.
(d) Torey's absence from school.
5. What does Sheila insist about her writing?
(a) That no one but Torey look at the writing.
(b) That it be destroyed right after it is finished.
(c) That it be put on display.
(d) That Torey not read it until later.
6. What surprises Torey about Sheila's hospital stay?
(a) They left her alone and unsupervised.
(b) They will not allow her to have any visitors.
(c) The doctor's were unable to help her.
(d) They put her in a crib.
7. What genre of writing is found in the epilogue?
8. What subject does Torey put a particular emphasis on within her classroom that the other children seem to really enjoy?
(b) Creative writing.
9. What does Sheila say to Torey that she wishes?
(a) That Torey and Chad were her parents.
(b) That she had never burned the boy.
(c) That she could have a dress.
(d) That her father had come with her.
10. Why doesn't Sheila's father visit her in the hospital?
(a) He was arrested for neglect.
(b) He is always drunk.
(c) He is not allowed to visit her.
(d) He has a phobia of hospitals.
11. What does Sheila want to discuss over and over?
(a) She wants to talk about how Torey visited her house.
(b) She wants to discuss Torey's absence over and over.
(c) She wants to talk about why she couldn't go on the field trip.
(d) She wants to talk about how her mother abandoned her.
12. Why does Torey put off telling Sheila what will happen next year?
(a) She doesn't want to say goodbye.
(b) She doesn't know how to tell her.
(c) She is afraid of how Sheila will react.
(d) She isn't allowed to tell Sheila.
13. What does Torey tell Sheila makes her a good little girl?
14. Why doesn't Sheila get to participate in this subject?
(a) Because Sheila cannot be trusted in this subject.
(b) Because it gives Torey a chance to work with the other kids.
(c) Because she cannot use a pencil correctly.
(d) Because she refuses to do any paperwork.
15. What news does Sheila share with the class after they return to school after the April snowstorm?
(a) Her father got a new job.
(b) Her uncle is out of jail and staying with them.
(c) Her roof collapsed from the weight of the snow.
(d) She made a new friend during the snowstorm.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what grade levels is Sheila working on academically?
2. What does Torey notice when Sheila's father arrives at the hospital?
3. What is the writing in the epilogue an indicator of?
4. Why does Peter need to go to a special classroom instead of a regular room?
5. Why is Torey almost glad for Sheila's hospitalization?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)