|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sheila's father ask Torey to do?
(a) Take Sheila shopping for everyday clothes.
(b) To accept money for the dress.
(c) Talk to Sheila about girl things.
(d) Help him learn to help Sheila.
2. How does Whitney's mother react to the situation about the rabbit waste?
(a) She is mortified and embarrassed.
(b) She blames Torey for exposing her daughter to such children.
(c) She becomes upset and berates Whitney.
(d) She tells Whitney she can no longer come back to the room.
3. How does Anton calm down Whitney's mother?
(a) He takes her to the lounge for coffee.
(b) He yells back at her for treating Whitney so harshly.
(c) He takes her for a long walk.
(d) He shows her the humor in the situation.
4. Why does Ed have reservations about Torey's plan for Sheila?
(a) He thinks without Torey she will be hopeless.
(b) He wants her removed from the school.
(c) He is not in favor of grade skipping.
(d) He doesn't want her in the migrant school.
5. What does Sheila's father buy her for the first time?
(c) Sun suit.
6. What does Sheila do when she is told that she will not be able to go on the field trip with the class that afternoon?
(a) She goes after the other kids trying to hurt them.
(b) She destroys all of the papers in the room.
(c) She dumps Torey's desk and smashes items into the floor.
(d) She becomes enraged and bangs her head on the floor.
7. What surprises Torey about Sheila's hospital stay?
(a) The doctor's were unable to help her.
(b) They will not allow her to have any visitors.
(c) They left her alone and unsupervised.
(d) They put her in a crib.
8. What does Sheila ask Torey to do?
(a) Let her come back to school.
(b) Tell her a story.
(c) Take her home.
(d) Hold her.
9. What did Sheila do to the rabbit waste?
(a) Fed it to Freddie.
(b) Stored it in her desk.
(c) Threw it out.
(d) Painted it.
10. What does Torey tell the children they can do if they can behave?
(a) Come and sing to her.
(b) Help pick up the cake.
(c) Have a dish of ice cream.
(d) Have free time.
11. What does Torey ask Chad to do in regards to Sheila?
(a) To take on her case to keep her out of the state hospital.
(b) To talk to Ed on Sheila's behalf.
(c) To come into the classroom and meet Sheila.
(d) To talk to her father about the constant beatings.
12. What does Sheila say she will write if she is given a piece of paper?
(a) What happened in her past.
(b) Anything Torey wants.
(c) Something secret about herself.
(d) A long story about her teacher.
13. What does Sheila's father acknowledge?
(a) That Torey is the best thing that ever happened to Sheila.
(b) He has a drinking problem.
(c) He needs help caring for Sheila.
(d) He is sorry about what happened to Sheila.
14. What does Chad suggest they do to celebrate the win of Sheila's court case?
(a) Buy Sheila a dress.
(b) Go for ice cream.
(c) Go out for pizza.
(d) Give the family money for food and clothes.
15. Why is Torey almost glad for Sheila's hospitalization?
(a) She is learning to improve socially.
(b) She is making academic progress.
(c) Others are now more involved in her case.
(d) She is getting attention and three meals a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters is often a source of laughter within Torey's classroom?
2. What is the purpose of the writing in the epilogue?
3. What subject does Torey put a particular emphasis on within her classroom that the other children seem to really enjoy?
4. Why isn't Torey sure she wants to return to graduate school?
5. What does the epilogue consist of?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)