|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Sheila's father visit her in the hospital?
(a) He is not allowed to visit her.
(b) He is always drunk.
(c) He was arrested for neglect.
(d) He has a phobia of hospitals.
2. What does Sheila seem to be dwelling on?
(a) Torey and Chad becoming her parents.
(b) Her trial day and eating dinner out.
(c) Torey's absence from school.
(d) Her uncle living with them.
3. At what grade levels is Sheila working on academically?
(a) Second grade reading and math.
(b) Third grade reading and fourth grade math.
(c) Fourth grade reading and third grade math.
(d) Second grade math and third grade reading.
4. What does Torey ask Chad to do in regards to Sheila?
(a) To talk to her father about the constant beatings.
(b) To come into the classroom and meet Sheila.
(c) To talk to Ed on Sheila's behalf.
(d) To take on her case to keep her out of the state hospital.
5. Which of the following characters is often a source of laughter within Torey's classroom?
(c) Mr. Collins.
6. What does Sheila's father buy her for the first time?
(b) Sun suit.
7. What news does Sheila share with the class after they return to school after the April snowstorm?
(a) Her uncle is out of jail and staying with them.
(b) She made a new friend during the snowstorm.
(c) Her father got a new job.
(d) Her roof collapsed from the weight of the snow.
8. What does Sheila ask Torey to do?
(a) Hold her.
(b) Let her come back to school.
(c) Tell her a story.
(d) Take her home.
9. Why is Torey almost glad for Sheila's hospitalization?
(a) She is learning to improve socially.
(b) Others are now more involved in her case.
(c) She is getting attention and three meals a day.
(d) She is making academic progress.
10. What does Chad suggest they do to celebrate the win of Sheila's court case?
(a) Go for ice cream.
(b) Go out for pizza.
(c) Give the family money for food and clothes.
(d) Buy Sheila a dress.
11. What is happening to Torey that has her concerned about Sheila and the class?
(a) She has gotten the news that Sheila will move on to another class.
(b) She has to switch her classroom to another building.
(c) She is concerned that she will be gone for two days to a conference.
(d) She is injured and will be missing a lot of work.
12. What does Torey notice when Sheila's father arrives at the hospital?
(a) He is not a legal guardian.
(b) He no longer wants Sheila.
(c) He brings the uncle with him.
(d) He is drunk.
13. What do the other students tell Torey about when she comes in?
(a) Sheila's poor behavior.
(b) How Mr. Collins was very upset with Torey.
(c) How Anton had quit togo back to school.
(d) How Sheila was absent too.
14. When does Sheila return to school?
(b) End of April.
(c) She does not return for that school year.
(d) Beginning of June.
15. Which of the following is the best description of what an epilogue is?
(a) A log of the events that happened in the story.
(b) Short part at the beginning of the book detailing the characters.
(c) Short part at the end of the book detailing the fate of the characters.
(d) Author summary and biography.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sheila insist about her writing?
2. What does Sheila tell Torey when she asks for an explanation about her behavior?
3. What surprises Torey about Sheila's hospital stay?
4. What subject does Torey put a particular emphasis on within her classroom that the other children seem to really enjoy?
5. What does Torey reassure the class of during discussion time?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)