|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Sheila share with the class after they return to school after the April snowstorm?
(a) Her uncle is out of jail and staying with them.
(b) She made a new friend during the snowstorm.
(c) Her roof collapsed from the weight of the snow.
(d) Her father got a new job.
2. What does Sheila want to discuss over and over?
(a) She wants to talk about how Torey visited her house.
(b) She wants to talk about how her mother abandoned her.
(c) She wants to discuss Torey's absence over and over.
(d) She wants to talk about why she couldn't go on the field trip.
3. What does Sheila say she will write if she is given a piece of paper?
(a) What happened in her past.
(b) A long story about her teacher.
(c) Something secret about herself.
(d) Anything Torey wants.
4. Why doesn't Sheila's father visit her in the hospital?
(a) He is not allowed to visit her.
(b) He has a phobia of hospitals.
(c) He is always drunk.
(d) He was arrested for neglect.
5. At the hearing, what warms Torey's heart in regard to Sheila's father?
(a) He is sober and wears an ill-fitting suit.
(b) He asks the boy's parents to forgive his child.
(c) He pleads with the judge on his behalf.
(d) He takes many steps to help Sheila.
6. Which of the following is the best description of what an epilogue is?
(a) Short part at the end of the book detailing the fate of the characters.
(b) A log of the events that happened in the story.
(c) Author summary and biography.
(d) Short part at the beginning of the book detailing the characters.
7. What does Torey do to Sheila after she comes back to the classroom after destroying the things in the regular classroom?
(a) Yells at her.
(b) Holds her.
(c) Scolds her.
(d) Ignores her.
8. What is unique about Sheila's speech pattern?
(a) She refuses to use linking verbs.
(b) She speaks only in the present tense.
(c) She doesn't use any pronouns.
(d) She doesn't use any articles.
9. In what month does Ed reveal that there is room in the state hospital for Sheila?
10. How does Whitney's mother react to the situation about the rabbit waste?
(a) She tells Whitney she can no longer come back to the room.
(b) She becomes upset and berates Whitney.
(c) She is mortified and embarrassed.
(d) She blames Torey for exposing her daughter to such children.
11. What does Torey ask Chad to do in regards to Sheila?
(a) To talk to Ed on Sheila's behalf.
(b) To come into the classroom and meet Sheila.
(c) To talk to her father about the constant beatings.
(d) To take on her case to keep her out of the state hospital.
12. What two things does Torey suspect are linked for Sheila?
(a) She thinks Sheila's desire for revenge and refusal are linked.
(b) She thinks Sheila's need for love and abandonment fear are linked.
(c) She thinks Sheila's speech and fear of failure are linked.
(d) She thinks Sheila's fear of failure and abandonment are linked.
13. What does Sheila say to Torey that she wishes?
(a) That she had never burned the boy.
(b) That she could have a dress.
(c) That her father had come with her.
(d) That Torey and Chad were her parents.
14. What does Sheila's father buy her for the first time?
(d) Sun suit.
15. What does Sheila do when she is told that she will not be able to go on the field trip with the class that afternoon?
(a) She goes after the other kids trying to hurt them.
(b) She becomes enraged and bangs her head on the floor.
(c) She destroys all of the papers in the room.
(d) She dumps Torey's desk and smashes items into the floor.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what grade levels is Sheila working on academically?
2. Why does Peter need to go to a special classroom instead of a regular room?
3. What is happening to Torey that has her concerned about Sheila and the class?
4. What is the writing in the epilogue an indicator of?
5. Why does Ed have reservations about Torey's plan for Sheila?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)