|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Georgie plan to get a horse for her journey?
2. Why does Georgie allow Billy to accompany her on her journey?
3. Why does Georgie have difficulty sleeping the second night of her journey?
4. Who is Storm?
5. How does the wild animal react to Georgie's stare?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Georgie fend off the cougar attack?
2. Why does Agatha step into the migrating flock of pigeons and spin?
3. Why does Ma cut a scrap of cloth from the corpse's body?
4. How does Grandfather Bolte express compassion towards Georgie during the funeral?
5. How does Georgie's behave change after her encounter with the cougar?
6. Why does Georgie consider her five Bechtler dollars to be worth twenty dollars?
7. How does Long Ears' behavior foreshadow the arrival of the cougar?
8. Why does Ma make Agatha a ball gown?
9. Why does Georgie describe the pigeon nesting as "a battlefield"?
10. Why does Georgie fear to join her sister outside with the migrating birds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the fire of 1871 affect the residents of Placid? What lessons does the community learn about compassion during this time? Compare and contrast the community’s involvement in this human migration to that of the Passenger Pigeon migration that occurred earlier in the year.
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolic significance of Passenger Pigeons in the novel? How are they featured in folklore? What meaning do they have for the different characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the development of Gerogie and Billy’s relationship. How does Georgie initially view Billy? How does Billy initially view Georgie? How does their relationship change through the course of the novel?
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)