|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Georgie do with her gun when faced with a wild animal?
2. Why is Ma angry at Georgie the night of February 28th, 1871?
3. What significant event occurred in April of 1871?
4. Why doesn't Gerogie want Agatha to marry Billy?
5. How many days pass before Agatha's family becomes concerned about her disappearance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Agatha's story about the old Seneca man symbolize?
2. What type of "horse" does Billy loan to Georgie and how does he force himself on her journey?
3. Why does Georgie consider her five Bechtler dollars to be worth twenty dollars?
4. Why does Georgie fear to join her sister outside with the migrating birds?
5. What was unusual about the cougar attack?
6. Why does Grandfather Bolte refuse to give his permission for Agatha to go to the University of Wisconsin?
7. Why does Georgie shoot gin bottles down by the river?
8. What does Georgie notice about the feathers in the pigeoners camp?
9. How does Long Ears' behavior foreshadow the arrival of the cougar?
10. How does Georgie seek to make her Grandfather happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Billy’s confession about the true nature of the kiss between him and Agatha affect his relationship with Georgie? What are the short term effects of his confession? What are the long term effects of his confession? Why does Georgie decide to help him on Miller Road? Why does she ask him to leave the store afterwards?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Garrow arrives in Placid to visit her daughter’s grave and gives Ma a wad of counterfeit dollars to pay for a new tombstone for Darlene. Describe the moral and ethical dilemma Ma faces in using illegal currency to purchase the new tombstone. What risks does she face? Why do you think she purchases the tombstone?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Georgie prepares for her journey. Of what importance is “The Prairie Traveler”? Her Springfield rifle? How will the skills she has acquired through hunting and shooting gin bottles assist her on her journey?
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)