|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is known as the best tracker in town?
2. What does Georgie find on February 28th, 1871?
3. How does Georgie know that Billy can sew?
4. Who is Frederick?
5. Who are the pigeoners?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Long Ears' behavior foreshadow the arrival of the cougar?
2. Why does Ma cut a scrap of cloth from the corpse's body?
3. Why does Georgie tell Mr. Olmstead about Agatha kissing Billy?
4. Why does Georgie consider her five Bechtler dollars to be worth twenty dollars?
5. What makes Georgie question the validity of her sister's funeral?
6. Why does Georgie shoot gin bottles down by the river?
7. Why does Agatha step into the migrating flock of pigeons and spin?
8. Why does Georgie describe the pigeon nesting as "a battlefield"?
9. How does Georgie feel about Agatha's relationship with Billy?
10. How does Georgie fend off the cougar attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the development of Gerogie’s relationship with Long Ears? How does she treat the mule initially? What prompts her to decide to build a relationship with the mule? What methods does she use to gain the mule’s trust? Are her efforts successful? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How might the disappearance of Georgie’s Pa ten years prior the beginning of the novel have affected the family’s reaction to the disappearance of Agatha? How might it have affected their willingness to allow Georgie to go on her journey?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Mr. Olmstead helping both Billy and Georgie? Why might he feel it necessary to financially assist them both? What do his actions demonstrate about his character?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)