|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years was Georgie in school?
2. What color are Mr. Olmstead's eyes?
3. What does Grandfather Bolte give Agatha on Christmas Day?
(a) A beautiful ball gown.
(b) A set of embroidery hoops.
(c) A pair of lace-up boots.
(d) A rifle.
4. Why do the pigeons return in greater numbers during odd numbered years?
(a) The wind shifts from the north to the south.
(b) Their favorite oaks drop acorns every other year.
(c) No one knows.
(d) They only migrate every other year.
5. What does Grandfather Bolte buy the night of February 28th, 1871?
(a) A new coat.
(b) A mule.
(d) A horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Georgie react to the arrival of the pigeons?
2. What does Georgie clean by the fire?
3. What song does Billy whistle as he leaves Billy alone to bathe?
4. How does Georgie plan to get a horse for her journey?
5. What does Ma do the night Georgie plans to leave home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Georgie feel about Agatha's relationship with Mr. Olmstead?
2. How does Grandfather Bolte express compassion towards Georgie during the funeral?
3. Why does Ma make Agatha a ball gown?
4. What is the significance of Billy's nickname for Georgie?
5. What does Georgie notice about the feathers in the pigeoners camp?
6. Why does Ma cut a scrap of cloth from the corpse's body?
7. Why does Agatha step into the migrating flock of pigeons and spin?
8. Why does Georgie shoot gin bottles down by the river?
9. What type of "horse" does Billy loan to Georgie and how does he force himself on her journey?
10. How does Long Ears' behavior foreshadow the arrival of the cougar?
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)