|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom are Jerry, May, and George waiting in this building?
2. Why do they work these jobs in this building?
3. What has Jerry done to the trio's act?
4. What else will the person May encounters do for them?
5. What kind of play is ONCE IN A LIFETIME?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are May's suspicions confirmed?
2. Who are the three primary characters?
3. How do May and George feel about Jerry's good news?
4. What is wrong with the script?
5. Who is sitting and waiting in the beginning of the scene?
6. Describe May.
7. Where does this scene take place?
8. What makes Vail decide to leave?
9. What happens when Glogauer finally emerges?
10. What is Glogauer's reaction to this news?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Incompetence has risen to new heights in the form of George.
Part 1) Describe his incompetence.
Part 2) How does he get by? Why do the playwrights have this happen?
Part 3) George ends up very successful. Will this success last? Why or why not? Use the play to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
The characters travel by train several times.
Part 1) What are the purposes of these train rides?
Part 2) How does this frequent movement on the train reflect life in Los Angeles?
Part 3) How does the ease of traveling coast to coast and the advent of talkies reflect the changes in American life and culture?
Essay Topic 3
The play takes place at the onset of talking pictures.
Part 1) How could audiences in the 1930s relate to this setting?
Part 2) Can audiences today find relevance in this setting? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does this change in movie making show the ingenuity and creativity of the characters in the play, as well as people from the time the play was written?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)