|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is this person that May encounters?
2. What does this person that May encounters think about the trio's diction school idea?
3. Where does the first scene open?
4. Who does May encounter on the train?
5. What do the other two think of this new job idea?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the playwrights show about the film industry?
2. Who are the three primary characters?
3. For whom do Jerry, May, and George wait? Why? What will this person do for them?
4. What has Jerry done to the trio?
5. What happens the closer they get to Los Angeles?
6. What has happened to the original plan during the trio's travel?
7. Where is this scene set? Describe the opening of this scene.
8. How do Helen and the trio act when Mr. Glogauer arrives?
9. What makes Vail decide to leave?
10. What is symbolism that is found in this scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Glogauer does not like the Schlepkin brothers.
Part 1) Who are the Schlepkin brothers?
Part 2) Why does Mr. Glogauer not like them?
Part 3) How does this work in favor of the trio? What message does this send about people like the Schlepkin brothers?
Essay Topic 2
George is a message of hope.
Part 1) How is he a message of hope? For whom is he a message of hope?
Part 2) Why might the playwrights be sending this message to the audience?
Part 3) Is this a realistic message? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Helen Hobart is a gossip columnist.
Part 1) How is she treated by those in the film industry, as well the general public? Why?
Part 2) Whys is she an important figure in Los Angeles culture?
Part 3) Does this career flourish today? Why or why not?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)