|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Helen's obsequious behavior come into play?
2. What does this parade set off?
3. What does this person that May encounters offer to do?
4. How does the trio feel about this person's offer?
5. Who does May encounter on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Vail decide to leave?
2. Who is expected at any minute? What is he expected to do?
3. Describe the scene in the lobby.
4. How does Glogauer respond to what George has to say?
5. What does George tell Susan as the scene opens?
6. How do May and George feel about Jerry's good news?
7. Describe Jerry.
8. Why does Mary feel hesitant and fearful? Should she feel this way? Why or why not?
9. Who does May recognize?
10. For what is May anxious in this first scene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence Vail is distraught over his career in Los Angeles.
Part 1) What is his career?
Part 2) Why is he distraught?
Part 3) Where does he end up, due to this anxiety and unhappiness? What does this say about writers and other artists?
Essay Topic 2
The characters are identified quite easily at the beginning of the play.
Part 1) By what are they identified?
Part 2) Describe each of the three main characters.
Part 3) Why would this play and these characters be appealing to a 1930s audience?
Essay Topic 3
The main themes of the play are about loyalty and hope.
Part 1) How are these themes timeless?
Part 2) Give two examples from the play that support these themes.
Part 3) Why are these themes significant at the time the play is written?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)