|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does George meet this person?
2. Which member of the trio is struggling on the trip across the country?
3. What were May and George hoping Jerry would land?
4. Of what news is May waiting?
5. How does Helen arrive?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Glogauer respond to this announcement?
2. What is symbolism that is found in this scene?
3. Describe George in the conversation between May, Jerry, and the person they encounter.
4. Who has a good idea? What is this idea? What do the others think about the idea?
5. How is the trio's plan coming together?
6. Where does this scene take place?
7. Describe May.
8. What do Mary and Jerry discuss, regarding George?
9. What happens at the end of the scene?
10. How does Glogauer respond to what George has to say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lawrence Vail is distraught over his career in Los Angeles.
Part 1) What is his career?
Part 2) Why is he distraught?
Part 3) Where does he end up, due to this anxiety and unhappiness? What does this say about writers and other artists?
Essay Topic 2
Hopeful actors and actresses work at the Hotel Stilton.
Part 1) What jobs do they have at the hotel? Why do they work here?
Part 2) Describe the Hotel Stilton.
Part 3) How does this hotel reflect Los Angeles life and the life of those in the film industry?
Essay Topic 3
The characters travel by train several times.
Part 1) What are the purposes of these train rides?
Part 2) How does this frequent movement on the train reflect life in Los Angeles?
Part 3) How does the ease of traveling coast to coast and the advent of talkies reflect the changes in American life and culture?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)