|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is George happily doing as this scene opens?
2. Where are the three headed?
3. In what are the three basking, as they are traveling to their new destination?
4. What has Jerry done to the trio's act?
5. What is the trio creating, as they travel across the country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe May.
2. What is Glogauer's reaction to this news?
3. How does Glogauer react upon the completion of filming?
4. Who does the trio meet on the train?
5. What has Jerry done to the trio?
6. What does May receive from George?
7. Describe George at this point in the play.
8. How are May's suspicions confirmed?
9. Why does Mary feel hesitant and fearful? Should she feel this way? Why or why not?
10. Describe the scene in the lobby.
Essay Topic 1
The characters travel by train several times.
Part 1) What are the purposes of these train rides?
Part 2) How does this frequent movement on the train reflect life in Los Angeles?
Part 3) How does the ease of traveling coast to coast and the advent of talkies reflect the changes in American life and culture?
Essay Topic 2
The main themes of the play are about loyalty and hope.
Part 1) How are these themes timeless?
Part 2) Give two examples from the play that support these themes.
Part 3) Why are these themes significant at the time the play is written?
Essay Topic 3
Jerry, May, and George are centered with their priorities intact.
Part 1) Why might this be surprising?
Part 2) What message are the playwrights sending to the audience through the behaviors of these three characters?
Part 3) How does this reinforce one of the themes of this play?
This section contains 1,458 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)