|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does George meet, while traveling across the continent with the trio?
2. What do the other two think of this new job idea?
3. What do May and George think of Jerry's news?
4. For whom is Susan perfect?
5. What is THE JAZZ SINGER?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is expected at any minute? What is he expected to do?
2. What has happened to the original plan during the trio's travel?
3. Describe George.
4. Describe May.
5. Where is this scene set? Describe the opening of this scene.
6. Where has this person that May recognizes been?
7. How does Glogauer appear as he enters the scene? Why does he appear this way?
8. Who has a good idea? What is this idea? What do the others think about the idea?
9. What makes Vail decide to leave?
10. How does Mr. Glogauer respond to this announcement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Helen Hobart is a gossip columnist.
Part 1) How is she treated by those in the film industry, as well the general public? Why?
Part 2) Whys is she an important figure in Los Angeles culture?
Part 3) Does this career flourish today? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The characters are identified quite easily at the beginning of the play.
Part 1) By what are they identified?
Part 2) Describe each of the three main characters.
Part 3) Why would this play and these characters be appealing to a 1930s audience?
Essay Topic 3
Lawrence Vail is distraught over his career in Los Angeles.
Part 1) What is his career?
Part 2) Why is he distraught?
Part 3) Where does he end up, due to this anxiety and unhappiness? What does this say about writers and other artists?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)