|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of the main characters, who is the worrier?
(a) May Daniels.
(b) Al Jolson.
(c) George Lewis.
(d) Jerry Hyland.
2. What is the name of the person George meets?
3. According to Jerry, with what kind of news does he return?
(a) Sad news.
(b) Bad news.
(c) Good news.
(d) Horrible news.
4. Why does Glogauer agree to the diction school?
(a) He wants to practice his own diction.
(b) So that he can take the lead by training his actors and actresses.
(c) So he can send them to the Schlepkin brothers.
(d) He wants actors and actresses who speak well.
5. Why do they work these jobs in this building?
(a) To earn a large income.
(b) In the hopes of creating a popular movie.
(c) In the hopes of being discovered by some movie industry executive.
(d) To see shows for free.
6. Of what news is May waiting?
(a) The reviews from her new play.
(b) A date with Jerry.
(c) Whether she is cast in a new Broadway show.
(d) A sorely needed job for the trio.
7. How did this decision to leave come about?
(a) After learning about the work available in Chicago.
(b) After meeting Al Jolson for dinner.
(c) After hearing success stories from other vaudevillians.
(d) After watching Al Jolson.
8. What do May and George think of Jerry's news?
(a) It is what they were hoping for.
(b) They are angered by this news.
(c) They are shocked and appalled.
(d) It is not what they are expecting.
9. On what will they capitalize, if they take this advice and create a new job for the trio?
(a) The need for vaudeville shows around the country.
(b) The conversion of silent movie stars to the new medium of talkies.
(c) The historic value of the theatre.
(d) The need for Hollywood directors.
10. In what are the three basking, as they are traveling to their new destination?
(a) The hot sun.
(b) Their new fame.
(c) Their own embarrassment.
(d) The glow of the new money-making idea.
11. As what do these people work in this building?
(d) Waiters and cigarette girls.
12. What do George and his new acquaintance form?
(a) A social club.
(b) A mutual hatred.
(c) An acting studio.
(d) A fast friendship.
13. What is this person's idea, regarding the new job?
(a) Opening a diction school for actors.
(b) Buying a theatre.
(c) Directing movies.
(d) Taking their vaudeville act on the road.
14. What happens to Jerry's plan, while traveling to the trio's new destination?
(a) It falls short.
(b) It is not at all successful.
(c) There are no glitches.
(d) It is very successful.
15. This idea began in New York, and to where is this new idea leading them?
(a) Santa Monica.
(c) San Diego.
(d) San Francisco.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can this person that May encounters do to someone's career?
2. Which member of the trio is struggling on the trip across the country?
3. Who is also dining at the hotel tonight and for whom Mr. Glogauer does not care?
4. Of what does the trio have another?
5. What is fortunate for May, regarding this person she encounters?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)