|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Seaman Swain want to see Edmonds through the periscope?
2. By radio message, what does Dwight Towers learn he has now become?
3. What is the source of the mysterious radio signal Sunderstrom is looking for?
4. How does he convince Mary that taking Jennifer's life might be the best thing to do?
5. What amenity is given to Dwight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary's initial reaction to the suicide pills and syringe?
2. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
3. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
4. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
5. How is John Osbourne different in the face of coming death?
6. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
7. Why does John say his uncle, Sir Froude, still appears to be healthy?
8. Explain the surprise Moira has for Dwight when they meet for lunch.
9. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
10. How does Mary put out of her mind that Sydney and Adelaide now have the radiation sickness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about pure love. It is clear that Moira is in love with Dwight. Leading up to her introduction to him, she is described as having lived a promiscuous life. What is it in the relationship between her and Dwight that prevents her from attempting to seduce him.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about holding onto personal values regardless of external circumstances. Express your opinion of Dwight who remains faithful to a dead wife and children. Does his behavior in the novel mark him as a heroic figure?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the value of creativity. Refer to the ways the people of Melbourne adjusted to not having fuel to operate cars and other things they no longer had access to. In your essay write about how creative people can find ways to facilitate life even in extreme situations.
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)