|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John's most recent prognosis for the radiation cloud?
2. Meanwhile, what is John Osbourne doing?
3. Why are they not sure about the radiation sickness in Cape Town?
4. What does a radiation reading of thirty in the red mean?
5. How long do they estimate Swain will live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
2. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
3. What condition does Peter put on his continuing service in the Navy?
4. Describe the symbolism of Dwight's thinking about his family while on board the Scorpion.
5. How does Mary put out of her mind that Sydney and Adelaide now have the radiation sickness?
6. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
7. Explain the surprise Moira has for Dwight when they meet for lunch.
8. How is John Osbourne different in the face of coming death?
9. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
10. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the value of friendships. Using John and Peter as examples, write about the support one gets from making good friendships in life. Sometimes family is not near or for some reason cannot offer the support a good friend has to offer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the pointlessness of using alcohol or drugs to avoid facing realities. Mention how people in the novel first started having boisterous parties with lots of alcohol consumption but later realized that it was not helping to solve the problem. Turn you essay to people who attempt to use mind altering substances as a way of dealing with problems of a much smaller scale than the extreme problem of ON THE BEACH.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about what visitors from another planet find on earth 100 years after ON THE BEACH. In your essay tell what they find and how they speculate what happened to all the people. Use you imagination and be creative.
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)