|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dwight order the captain of the USS Swordfish to do with his submarine?
2. What is the source of the mysterious radio signal Sunderstrom is looking for?
3. What gift does he buy for his son?
4. How long do they estimate Swain will live?
5. What impractical thing does Mary want Peter to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the understanding between Dwight and Moira that is verbalized on their fishing trip?
2. Explain the surprise Moira has for Dwight when they meet for lunch.
3. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
4. Why do things begin to slow down in Melbourne?
5. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
6. What has Moira managed to locate that makes Dwight happy enough to drift off to sleep?
7. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
8. Why is Dwight upset over a painting at the National Gallery?
9. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
10. Describe the symbolism of Dwight's thinking about his family while on board the Scorpion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the pointlessness of using alcohol or drugs to avoid facing realities. Mention how people in the novel first started having boisterous parties with lots of alcohol consumption but later realized that it was not helping to solve the problem. Turn you essay to people who attempt to use mind altering substances as a way of dealing with problems of a much smaller scale than the extreme problem of ON THE BEACH.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ON THE BEACH as a valuable resource for arguing against nuclear proliferation. In your essay include who should read the book as required reading. These people should be drawn from government and military sources, religious sources, and concerned individuals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about going home to die. Clearly Dwight would like to do the same thing as seaman Swain. Explain what prevents him. Define the characteristic of Dwight's that prevents him from ordering the USS Scorpion to return to the northeastern United States.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)