|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dwight order the captain of the USS Swordfish to do with his submarine?
2. Where is the radiation sickness by August?
3. How do Dwight and Moira avoid thinking about the end?
4. What amenity is given to Dwight?
5. What is Moira's surprise for Dwight?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
2. How is Moira changing from thinking planting plants for the next year is a silly waste of time?
3. Why do things begin to slow down in Melbourne?
4. How does baby Jennifer give Mary a fright?
5. What is the understanding between Dwight and Moira that is verbalized on their fishing trip?
6. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
7. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
8. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
9. What does Lt. Sunderstrom do before shutting down the communications center at the Naval Base at Elliott Bay.
10. What is Mary's initial reaction to the suicide pills and syringe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on living out your dreams. John Osbourne in the novel actually missed many years of excitement and pleasure by not racing cars until it was almost too late. In your essay talk about following your dreams because all of life is uncertain anyway.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the pointlessness of using alcohol or drugs to avoid facing realities. Mention how people in the novel first started having boisterous parties with lots of alcohol consumption but later realized that it was not helping to solve the problem. Turn you essay to people who attempt to use mind altering substances as a way of dealing with problems of a much smaller scale than the extreme problem of ON THE BEACH.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about what visitors from another planet find on earth 100 years after ON THE BEACH. In your essay tell what they find and how they speculate what happened to all the people. Use you imagination and be creative.
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)