|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What living thing will outlast people by about a year?
2. Who starts the push to get the fishing season moved back in Australia?
3. Where does the crew of the Scorpion see Swain?
4. What does Moira decide to do while Dwight is at sea?
5. What does he look for as a gift for his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Moira agrees to do for Mary if Peter does not return in time?
2. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
3. What does Lt. Sunderstrom do before shutting down the communications center at the Naval Base at Elliott Bay.
4. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
5. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
6. How does baby Jennifer give Mary a fright?
7. How is Moira changing from thinking planting plants for the next year is a silly waste of time?
8. What condition does Peter put on his continuing service in the Navy?
9. Why does John say his uncle, Sir Froude, still appears to be healthy?
10. Explain the surprise Moira has for Dwight when they meet for lunch.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the value of friendships. Using John and Peter as examples, write about the support one gets from making good friendships in life. Sometimes family is not near or for some reason cannot offer the support a good friend has to offer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the possibility of the same world-wide destruction of all life on the planet could ever really happen. In your essay include the fact that today, just as Shute predicted, small radical nations now have nuclear capability. What is the danger of everything going too far when split second decisions have to be made about using the nuclear arsenal.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about pure love. It is clear that Moira is in love with Dwight. Leading up to her introduction to him, she is described as having lived a promiscuous life. What is it in the relationship between her and Dwight that prevents her from attempting to seduce him.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)