|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disturbs Dwight about one painting?
2. How does Peter explain the need for her to know about the pills?
3. Who says about Swain that if it had been him and the fishing was good that day, and it was his last day, he wouldn't come back either?
4. What does John Osbourne tell Dwight?
5. Who starts the push to get the fishing season moved back in Australia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the understanding between Dwight and Moira that is verbalized on their fishing trip?
2. What is Dwight's condition when he arrives at the Davidson house?
3. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
4. What is it that Moira agrees to do for Mary if Peter does not return in time?
5. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
6. Why do things begin to slow down in Melbourne?
7. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
8. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
9. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
10. Describe the symbolism of Dwight's thinking about his family while on board the Scorpion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the value of friendships. Using John and Peter as examples, write about the support one gets from making good friendships in life. Sometimes family is not near or for some reason cannot offer the support a good friend has to offer.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ON THE BEACH as a valuable resource for arguing against nuclear proliferation. In your essay include who should read the book as required reading. These people should be drawn from government and military sources, religious sources, and concerned individuals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how families face problems together. Use the Holmes family as a good example. Use John Osbourne as an example of a man who does not have a family of his own. State your opinion about the value of a family during difficult times.
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)