|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lt. Sunderstrom go ashore at Elliott Bay?
2. Where do the pinpoint the location of the Seattle transmission?
3. How does John keep his fear under control while on the submarine?
4. Who starts the push to get the fishing season moved back in Australia?
5. After dinner, where do Dwight and Moira go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Dwight upset over a painting at the National Gallery?
2. What does Lt. Sunderstrom do before shutting down the communications center at the Naval Base at Elliott Bay.
3. What is it that Moira agrees to do for Mary if Peter does not return in time?
4. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
5. What has Moira managed to locate that makes Dwight happy enough to drift off to sleep?
6. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
7. Why does John say his uncle, Sir Froude, still appears to be healthy?
8. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
9. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
10. What is the understanding between Dwight and Moira that is verbalized on their fishing trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the possibility of the same world-wide destruction of all life on the planet could ever really happen. In your essay include the fact that today, just as Shute predicted, small radical nations now have nuclear capability. What is the danger of everything going too far when split second decisions have to be made about using the nuclear arsenal.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the benefits of learning other cultures. Use the fact that the Americans and Australians learn a lot from each other in ON THE BEACH. Then discuss the many things that can be learned from experiencing other cultures.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the value of friendships. Using John and Peter as examples, write about the support one gets from making good friendships in life. Sometimes family is not near or for some reason cannot offer the support a good friend has to offer.
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)