|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Meanwhile, what is John Osbourne doing?
2. What does Dwight order the captain of the USS Swordfish to do with his submarine?
3. What does Dwight plan to tell Sharon about Moira?
4. When there is meat at the butcher shop, how much do they have to pay?
5. Why does Swain not take the gun offered him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lt. Sunderstrom do before shutting down the communications center at the Naval Base at Elliott Bay.
2. What condition does Peter put on his continuing service in the Navy?
3. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
4. What is it that Moira agrees to do for Mary if Peter does not return in time?
5. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
6. What is Mary's initial reaction to the suicide pills and syringe?
7. How does Mary put out of her mind that Sydney and Adelaide now have the radiation sickness?
8. What has Moira managed to locate that makes Dwight happy enough to drift off to sleep?
9. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
10. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on living out your dreams. John Osbourne in the novel actually missed many years of excitement and pleasure by not racing cars until it was almost too late. In your essay talk about following your dreams because all of life is uncertain anyway.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on suicide as a way of avoiding an otherwise very painful death. Include the moral aspects of suicide in general and explain whether or not you think there may be extenuating circumstances that make suicide acceptable.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about holding onto personal values regardless of external circumstances. Express your opinion of Dwight who remains faithful to a dead wife and children. Does his behavior in the novel mark him as a heroic figure?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)