|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By radio message, what does Dwight Towers learn he has now become?
2. Where is the radiation sickness by August?
3. What good news does Moira tell Dwight?
4. Why are they not sure about the radiation sickness in Cape Town?
5. What does a radiation reading of thirty in the red mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
2. What is the understanding between Dwight and Moira that is verbalized on their fishing trip?
3. How does baby Jennifer give Mary a fright?
4. What is Mary's initial reaction to the suicide pills and syringe?
5. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
6. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
7. Describe the symbolism of Dwight's thinking about his family while on board the Scorpion.
8. What has Moira managed to locate that makes Dwight happy enough to drift off to sleep?
9. What condition does Peter put on his continuing service in the Navy?
10. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about what should be taught in schools about the dangers of nuclear weapons. Explain how children need to know about those dangers and be encouraged to think of ways they can influence governments to behave rationally about even making nuclear weapons. Express how children worldwide could be enlisted in an effort to get rid of nuclear threats.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about going home to die. Clearly Dwight would like to do the same thing as seaman Swain. Explain what prevents him. Define the characteristic of Dwight's that prevents him from ordering the USS Scorpion to return to the northeastern United States.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the value of creativity. Refer to the ways the people of Melbourne adjusted to not having fuel to operate cars and other things they no longer had access to. In your essay write about how creative people can find ways to facilitate life even in extreme situations.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)