|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are there more cars on the road now?
2. How does John Osbourne finish in the first race of the Grand Prix?
3. What does Sunderstrom find that he cannot take back to the submarine?
4. What are they giving away at the Pastoral Club now?
5. Where does the crew of the Scorpion see Swain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
2. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
3. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
4. What does Lt. Sunderstrom do before shutting down the communications center at the Naval Base at Elliott Bay.
5. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
6. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
7. What is Mary's initial reaction to the suicide pills and syringe?
8. What is the understanding between Dwight and Moira that is verbalized on their fishing trip?
9. How is Moira changing from thinking planting plants for the next year is a silly waste of time?
10. Explain the surprise Moira has for Dwight when they meet for lunch.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about optimism as the mirror image of denial. Express the difference between optimism and denial. Give examples from the novel that indicate an optimism that something might happen to prevent the approaching radiation cloud from reaching Melbourne.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the responsibility people have to others when taking any action. In your essay show how governments did not take into consideration anything but their own greedy desires, never once thinking how their nuclear attacks might affect the entire world. Take it down to a less grand level and write about how even small personal actions my affect not just ourselves but others as well.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on stoicism in the face of death. Use John Osbourne as your example of a person who knows what to expect and accepts the inevitable. State your opinion about the dignity with which Osbourne faces death.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)