|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John Osbourne finish in the first race of the Grand Prix?
2. Where does Dwight want to take the USS Scorpion?
3. What gift does he buy for his son?
4. How long do they estimate Swain will live?
5. Where is Edmonds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is John Osbourne different in the face of coming death?
2. Why is Dwight upset over a painting at the National Gallery?
3. How is Moira changing from thinking planting plants for the next year is a silly waste of time?
4. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
5. Describe the symbolism of Dwight's thinking about his family while on board the Scorpion.
6. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
7. What has Moira managed to locate that makes Dwight happy enough to drift off to sleep?
8. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
9. What is Mary's initial reaction to the suicide pills and syringe?
10. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about optimism as the mirror image of denial. Express the difference between optimism and denial. Give examples from the novel that indicate an optimism that something might happen to prevent the approaching radiation cloud from reaching Melbourne.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the value of creativity. Refer to the ways the people of Melbourne adjusted to not having fuel to operate cars and other things they no longer had access to. In your essay write about how creative people can find ways to facilitate life even in extreme situations.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on suicide as a way of avoiding an otherwise very painful death. Include the moral aspects of suicide in general and explain whether or not you think there may be extenuating circumstances that make suicide acceptable.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)