|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the suicide pills and syringe, what does Peter bring home?
2. What does Swain do without being seen?
3. After dinner, where do Dwight and Moira go?
4. Why does Swain not take the gun offered him?
5. What impractical thing does Mary want Peter to buy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
2. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
3. How is John Osbourne different in the face of coming death?
4. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
5. How does baby Jennifer give Mary a fright?
6. Explain the surprise Moira has for Dwight when they meet for lunch.
7. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
8. How is Moira changing from thinking planting plants for the next year is a silly waste of time?
9. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
10. How does Mary put out of her mind that Sydney and Adelaide now have the radiation sickness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about optimism as the mirror image of denial. Express the difference between optimism and denial. Give examples from the novel that indicate an optimism that something might happen to prevent the approaching radiation cloud from reaching Melbourne.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the possibility of the same world-wide destruction of all life on the planet could ever really happen. In your essay include the fact that today, just as Shute predicted, small radical nations now have nuclear capability. What is the danger of everything going too far when split second decisions have to be made about using the nuclear arsenal.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about planning for the future. In your essay use Mary Holmes' garden as an example of planning for the future. In your essay point out that Mary did not think about what would prevent her from enjoying the fruits of her plans. Include the idea that if no plans are made, there is no goal in life, and therefore nothing can be accomplished.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)