|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sunderstrom find that he cannot take back to the submarine?
2. Why does John want the Grand Prix race moved up to August 10th?
3. Where is the radiation sickness by August?
4. Where are strange radio signals coming from?
5. How does John keep his fear under control while on the submarine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
2. What has Moira managed to locate that makes Dwight happy enough to drift off to sleep?
3. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
4. How is Moira changing from thinking planting plants for the next year is a silly waste of time?
5. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
6. Why is Dwight upset over a painting at the National Gallery?
7. What condition does Peter put on his continuing service in the Navy?
8. Why does John say his uncle, Sir Froude, still appears to be healthy?
9. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
10. What is Dwight's condition when he arrives at the Davidson house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about planning for the future. In your essay use Mary Holmes' garden as an example of planning for the future. In your essay point out that Mary did not think about what would prevent her from enjoying the fruits of her plans. Include the idea that if no plans are made, there is no goal in life, and therefore nothing can be accomplished.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ON THE BEACH as a valuable resource for arguing against nuclear proliferation. In your essay include who should read the book as required reading. These people should be drawn from government and military sources, religious sources, and concerned individuals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the value of friendships. Using John and Peter as examples, write about the support one gets from making good friendships in life. Sometimes family is not near or for some reason cannot offer the support a good friend has to offer.
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)