|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What good news does Moira tell Dwight?
2. What does a radiation reading of thirty in the red mean?
3. Why do they want to check out the radio signals?
4. What is the source of the mysterious radio signal Sunderstrom is looking for?
5. Where does the crew of the Scorpion see Swain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mary's initial reaction to the suicide pills and syringe?
2. How does baby Jennifer give Mary a fright?
3. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
4. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
5. What is it that Moira agrees to do for Mary if Peter does not return in time?
6. Why is Dwight upset over a painting at the National Gallery?
7. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
8. What condition does Peter put on his continuing service in the Navy?
9. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
10. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about what visitors from another planet find on earth 100 years after ON THE BEACH. In your essay tell what they find and how they speculate what happened to all the people. Use you imagination and be creative.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of Nevil Shute's ON THE BEACH. Evaluate Shute as a story teller and how well he holds the attention of the reader. Also evaluate the importance of the subject matter and whether it contributes a good message to the world. Mention the parts you think are strongest and weakest in the book. Conclude with a recommendation as to who would most benefit from reading the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the absurdity of nuclear armament. In your essay discuss why governments still stockpile nuclear weapons after what was learned at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Express whether you think nuclear weapons will ever be abandoned all over the word.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)