|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the most southerly cases now, according to John's update?
2. What are they giving away at the Pastoral Club now?
3. What disturbs Dwight about one painting?
4. Why is the news on the radio not accurate, according to John?
5. Where do they think there are no people living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the symbolism of Dwight's thinking about his family while on board the Scorpion.
2. How does Mary put out of her mind that Sydney and Adelaide now have the radiation sickness?
3. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
4. Why does John say his uncle, Sir Froude, still appears to be healthy?
5. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
6. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
7. How is John Osbourne different in the face of coming death?
8. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
9. What is Mary's initial reaction to the suicide pills and syringe?
10. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on stoicism in the face of death. Use John Osbourne as your example of a person who knows what to expect and accepts the inevitable. State your opinion about the dignity with which Osbourne faces death.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of Nevil Shute's ON THE BEACH. Evaluate Shute as a story teller and how well he holds the attention of the reader. Also evaluate the importance of the subject matter and whether it contributes a good message to the world. Mention the parts you think are strongest and weakest in the book. Conclude with a recommendation as to who would most benefit from reading the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about going home to die. Clearly Dwight would like to do the same thing as seaman Swain. Explain what prevents him. Define the characteristic of Dwight's that prevents him from ordering the USS Scorpion to return to the northeastern United States.
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)