|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What objects does Dwight hold onto to maintain his ties to his family?
2. Under what terms does Peter agree to stay on as Dwight's liaison officer?
3. Where do they think there are no people living?
4. Why does John want the Grand Prix race moved up to August 10th?
5. What amenity is given to Dwight?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
2. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
3. Why do things begin to slow down in Melbourne?
4. What does Lt. Sunderstrom do before shutting down the communications center at the Naval Base at Elliott Bay.
5. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
6. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
7. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
8. How does baby Jennifer give Mary a fright?
9. Explain the surprise Moira has for Dwight when they meet for lunch.
10. How is Moira changing from thinking planting plants for the next year is a silly waste of time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about what should be taught in schools about the dangers of nuclear weapons. Explain how children need to know about those dangers and be encouraged to think of ways they can influence governments to behave rationally about even making nuclear weapons. Express how children worldwide could be enlisted in an effort to get rid of nuclear threats.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about planning for the future. In your essay use Mary Holmes' garden as an example of planning for the future. In your essay point out that Mary did not think about what would prevent her from enjoying the fruits of her plans. Include the idea that if no plans are made, there is no goal in life, and therefore nothing can be accomplished.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on how families face problems together. Use the Holmes family as a good example. Use John Osbourne as an example of a man who does not have a family of his own. State your opinion about the value of a family during difficult times.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)