|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Osbourne tell Dwight?
2. How does John tell Peter the radiation sickness goes?
3. How does Peter explain the need for her to know about the pills?
4. After the Pastoral Club, what do John and Peter have?
5. What does Sunderstrom find that he cannot take back to the submarine?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
2. What condition does Peter put on his continuing service in the Navy?
3. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
4. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
5. What has Moira managed to locate that makes Dwight happy enough to drift off to sleep?
6. Explain the surprise Moira has for Dwight when they meet for lunch.
7. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
8. What is it that Moira agrees to do for Mary if Peter does not return in time?
9. What is Mary's initial reaction to the suicide pills and syringe?
10. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on the absurdity of nuclear armament. In your essay discuss why governments still stockpile nuclear weapons after what was learned at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Express whether you think nuclear weapons will ever be abandoned all over the word.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on the possibility of the same world-wide destruction of all life on the planet could ever really happen. In your essay include the fact that today, just as Shute predicted, small radical nations now have nuclear capability. What is the danger of everything going too far when split second decisions have to be made about using the nuclear arsenal.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about what visitors from another planet find on earth 100 years after ON THE BEACH. In your essay tell what they find and how they speculate what happened to all the people. Use you imagination and be creative.
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)