|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
2. What are Peter and Mary doing while Dwight and Moira attend church?
3. What does Peter instruct Mary how to do if he is not back when the radiation hits?
4. What kind of car does Peter have?
5. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
2. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
3. How does the relationship between Dwight and Moira develop?
4. How has the war simplified life in Australia to a large extent?
5. What is Moira's objection to Dwight's suggestion that she go to school?
6. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
7. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
8. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
9. How does the USS Swordfish illustrate the movement of the radiation?
10. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about planning for the future. In your essay use Mary Holmes' garden as an example of planning for the future. In your essay point out that Mary did not think about what would prevent her from enjoying the fruits of her plans. Include the idea that if no plans are made, there is no goal in life, and therefore nothing can be accomplished.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about ON THE BEACH as a valuable resource for arguing against nuclear proliferation. In your essay include who should read the book as required reading. These people should be drawn from government and military sources, religious sources, and concerned individuals.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about going home to die. Clearly Dwight would like to do the same thing as seaman Swain. Explain what prevents him. Define the characteristic of Dwight's that prevents him from ordering the USS Scorpion to return to the northeastern United States.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)