|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the story take place?
2. What does Peter instruct Mary how to do if he is not back when the radiation hits?
3. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
4. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
5. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the consensus about which countries actually started the war?
2. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
3. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
4. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
5. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
6. What is of special interest about the radio signals coming from around Seattle?
7. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
8. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
9. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
10. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about pure love. It is clear that Moira is in love with Dwight. Leading up to her introduction to him, she is described as having lived a promiscuous life. What is it in the relationship between her and Dwight that prevents her from attempting to seduce him.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on suicide as a way of avoiding an otherwise very painful death. Include the moral aspects of suicide in general and explain whether or not you think there may be extenuating circumstances that make suicide acceptable.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the benefits of learning other cultures. Use the fact that the Americans and Australians learn a lot from each other in ON THE BEACH. Then discuss the many things that can be learned from experiencing other cultures.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)