|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Peter ride his bicycle to Mr. Paul's farm?
2. What is the southernmost major city in the world?
3. What does Mary do to protect the baby from the measles?
4. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
5. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Peter, a navy lieutenant-commander, has not worked for the past seven months.
2. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
3. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
4. What is of special interest about the radio signals coming from around Seattle?
5. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
6. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
7. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
8. What is notable about Mary's plans for her garden?
9. How has the boisterous revelry of the townspeople changed over the past year?
10. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about planning for the future. In your essay use Mary Holmes' garden as an example of planning for the future. In your essay point out that Mary did not think about what would prevent her from enjoying the fruits of her plans. Include the idea that if no plans are made, there is no goal in life, and therefore nothing can be accomplished.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about what should be taught in schools about the dangers of nuclear weapons. Explain how children need to know about those dangers and be encouraged to think of ways they can influence governments to behave rationally about even making nuclear weapons. Express how children worldwide could be enlisted in an effort to get rid of nuclear threats.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the value of creativity. Refer to the ways the people of Melbourne adjusted to not having fuel to operate cars and other things they no longer had access to. In your essay write about how creative people can find ways to facilitate life even in extreme situations.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)