|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Australia, what do they figure will go a little before Sydney?
2. What is the southernmost major city in the world?
3. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
4. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
5. What sober reflection to the men on the Scorpion have about Cairns, Moresby or Darwin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
2. How does the story begin?
3. Describe briefly what the story is about.
4. What does Moira learn about Dwight while touring the submarine?
5. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
6. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
7. How does the relationship between Dwight and Moira develop?
8. What is the consensus about which countries actually started the war?
9. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
10. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the value of creativity. Refer to the ways the people of Melbourne adjusted to not having fuel to operate cars and other things they no longer had access to. In your essay write about how creative people can find ways to facilitate life even in extreme situations.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the benefits of learning other cultures. Use the fact that the Americans and Australians learn a lot from each other in ON THE BEACH. Then discuss the many things that can be learned from experiencing other cultures.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the value of friendships. Using John and Peter as examples, write about the support one gets from making good friendships in life. Sometimes family is not near or for some reason cannot offer the support a good friend has to offer.
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)