Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Osbourne say about the world?
2. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
3. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
4. Why does Dwight think forty percent of his crew will not return to the Scorpion?
5. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story begin?
2. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
3. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
4. Describe what becomes John's coffin.
5. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
6. Explain why Peter, a navy lieutenant-commander, has not worked for the past seven months.
7. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
8. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
9. What does Peter know when the radio calmly announces there are radiation sickness cases in the city?
10. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about pure love. It is clear that Moira is in love with Dwight. Leading up to her introduction to him, she is described as having lived a promiscuous life. What is it in the relationship between her and Dwight that prevents her from attempting to seduce him.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about what should be taught in schools about the dangers of nuclear weapons. Explain how children need to know about those dangers and be encouraged to think of ways they can influence governments to behave rationally about even making nuclear weapons. Express how children worldwide could be enlisted in an effort to get rid of nuclear threats.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on stoicism in the face of death. Use John Osbourne as your example of a person who knows what to expect and accepts the inevitable. State your opinion about the dignity with which Osbourne faces death.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)