Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Osbourne say about the world?
2. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
3. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
4. Why does Dwight think forty percent of his crew will not return to the Scorpion?
5. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story begin?
2. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
3. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
4. Describe what becomes John's coffin.
5. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
6. Explain why Peter, a navy lieutenant-commander, has not worked for the past seven months.
7. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
8. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
9. What does Peter know when the radio calmly announces there are radiation sickness cases in the city?
10. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about what visitors from another planet find on earth 100 years after ON THE BEACH. In your essay tell what they find and how they speculate what happened to all the people. Use you imagination and be creative.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about holding onto personal values regardless of external circumstances. Express your opinion of Dwight who remains faithful to a dead wife and children. Does his behavior in the novel mark him as a heroic figure?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the responsibility people have to others when taking any action. In your essay show how governments did not take into consideration anything but their own greedy desires, never once thinking how their nuclear attacks might affect the entire world. Take it down to a less grand level and write about how even small personal actions my affect not just ourselves but others as well.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)