|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
2. What are some people putting on top of Mount Kosciusko?
3. With whom do Peter and Dwight meet in Melbourne?
4. In Australia, what do they figure will go a little before Sydney?
5. What are Peter and Mary doing while Dwight and Moira attend church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
2. Explain why Peter, a navy lieutenant-commander, has not worked for the past seven months.
3. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
4. How has the boisterous revelry of the townspeople changed over the past year?
5. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
6. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
7. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
8. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
9. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
10. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of Nevil Shute's ON THE BEACH. Evaluate Shute as a story teller and how well he holds the attention of the reader. Also evaluate the importance of the subject matter and whether it contributes a good message to the world. Mention the parts you think are strongest and weakest in the book. Conclude with a recommendation as to who would most benefit from reading the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay on stoicism in the face of death. Use John Osbourne as your example of a person who knows what to expect and accepts the inevitable. State your opinion about the dignity with which Osbourne faces death.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about what visitors from another planet find on earth 100 years after ON THE BEACH. In your essay tell what they find and how they speculate what happened to all the people. Use you imagination and be creative.
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)