|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it recorded that the people died?
2. What kind of car does Peter have?
3. What plants does Mary want around the house?
4. Why does Peter ride his bicycle to Mr. Paul's farm?
5. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Moira learn about Dwight while touring the submarine?
2. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
3. What is notable about Mary's plans for her garden?
4. How is Moira Davidson dealing with the eminent threat of death by radiation?
5. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
6. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
7. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
8. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
9. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
10. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the responsibility people have to others when taking any action. In your essay show how governments did not take into consideration anything but their own greedy desires, never once thinking how their nuclear attacks might affect the entire world. Take it down to a less grand level and write about how even small personal actions my affect not just ourselves but others as well.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about holding onto personal values regardless of external circumstances. Express your opinion of Dwight who remains faithful to a dead wife and children. Does his behavior in the novel mark him as a heroic figure?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on living out your dreams. John Osbourne in the novel actually missed many years of excitement and pleasure by not racing cars until it was almost too late. In your essay talk about following your dreams because all of life is uncertain anyway.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)