|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Osbourne's estimate of how long they have to live?
2. Why does Peter not hold out much hope for a naval assignment?
3. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
4. Why does Peter not take the car to Melbourne?
5. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
2. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
3. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
4. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
5. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
6. How does the story begin?
7. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
8. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
9. What is Moira's objection to Dwight's suggestion that she go to school?
10. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the responsibility people have to others when taking any action. In your essay show how governments did not take into consideration anything but their own greedy desires, never once thinking how their nuclear attacks might affect the entire world. Take it down to a less grand level and write about how even small personal actions my affect not just ourselves but others as well.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about pure love. It is clear that Moira is in love with Dwight. Leading up to her introduction to him, she is described as having lived a promiscuous life. What is it in the relationship between her and Dwight that prevents her from attempting to seduce him.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on living out your dreams. John Osbourne in the novel actually missed many years of excitement and pleasure by not racing cars until it was almost too late. In your essay talk about following your dreams because all of life is uncertain anyway.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)