|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are they forbidden to go to Townsville?
2. How did the war escalate?
3. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
4. How does Moira's father say he wants to go when the time comes?
5. What does Dwight say is coming in very evenly all around the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story begin?
2. Explain why Peter, a navy lieutenant-commander, has not worked for the past seven months.
3. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
4. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
5. How is Moira changing from thinking planting plants for the next year is a silly waste of time?
6. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
7. Why does Peter not offer a ship to bring the crew back to land after they sink the USS Scorpion?
8. What does Mrs. Osbourne, John's mother, say about the two weeks it will take her to die of the radiation?
9. What is notable about Mary's plans for her garden?
10. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on living out your dreams. John Osbourne in the novel actually missed many years of excitement and pleasure by not racing cars until it was almost too late. In your essay talk about following your dreams because all of life is uncertain anyway.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the pointlessness of using alcohol or drugs to avoid facing realities. Mention how people in the novel first started having boisterous parties with lots of alcohol consumption but later realized that it was not helping to solve the problem. Turn you essay to people who attempt to use mind altering substances as a way of dealing with problems of a much smaller scale than the extreme problem of ON THE BEACH.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about pure love. It is clear that Moira is in love with Dwight. Leading up to her introduction to him, she is described as having lived a promiscuous life. What is it in the relationship between her and Dwight that prevents her from attempting to seduce him.
This section contains 1,587 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)