|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Peter rigged up to carry the baby or groceries?
2. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
3. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
4. What assignment does Peter receive?
5. What does Moira tell Dwight her occupation is?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Moira Davidson dealing with the eminent threat of death by radiation?
2. Explain why Peter, a navy lieutenant-commander, has not worked for the past seven months.
3. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
4. What does Moira learn about Dwight while touring the submarine?
5. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
6. What is of special interest about the radio signals coming from around Seattle?
7. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
8. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
9. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
10. What is the consensus about which countries actually started the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the value of creativity. Refer to the ways the people of Melbourne adjusted to not having fuel to operate cars and other things they no longer had access to. In your essay write about how creative people can find ways to facilitate life even in extreme situations.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of Nevil Shute's ON THE BEACH. Evaluate Shute as a story teller and how well he holds the attention of the reader. Also evaluate the importance of the subject matter and whether it contributes a good message to the world. Mention the parts you think are strongest and weakest in the book. Conclude with a recommendation as to who would most benefit from reading the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on stoicism in the face of death. Use John Osbourne as your example of a person who knows what to expect and accepts the inevitable. State your opinion about the dignity with which Osbourne faces death.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)