|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What have Peter and Mary learned to do because of the shortages?
2. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
3. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
4. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
5. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
2. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
3. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
4. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
5. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
6. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
7. What is the consensus about which countries actually started the war?
8. How is Moira Davidson dealing with the eminent threat of death by radiation?
9. What does Moira learn about Dwight while touring the submarine?
10. How has the war simplified life in Australia to a large extent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay on suicide as a way of avoiding an otherwise very painful death. Include the moral aspects of suicide in general and explain whether or not you think there may be extenuating circumstances that make suicide acceptable.
Essay Topic 2
Write a critique of Nevil Shute's ON THE BEACH. Evaluate Shute as a story teller and how well he holds the attention of the reader. Also evaluate the importance of the subject matter and whether it contributes a good message to the world. Mention the parts you think are strongest and weakest in the book. Conclude with a recommendation as to who would most benefit from reading the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the responsibility people have to others when taking any action. In your essay show how governments did not take into consideration anything but their own greedy desires, never once thinking how their nuclear attacks might affect the entire world. Take it down to a less grand level and write about how even small personal actions my affect not just ourselves but others as well.
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)