|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
2. Why does it not take long to bring Osbourne on board the submarine?
3. How long does Peter say the next trip of the Scorpion will probably take?
4. What does the Prime Minister say they want from Dwight and his crew?
5. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the USS Swordfish illustrate the movement of the radiation?
2. How has the boisterous revelry of the townspeople changed over the past year?
3. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
4. How is Moira Davidson dealing with the eminent threat of death by radiation?
5. How does the relationship between Dwight and Moira develop?
6. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
7. How has the war simplified life in Australia to a large extent?
8. What is notable about Mary's plans for her garden?
9. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
10. What is Moira's objection to Dwight's suggestion that she go to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about ON THE BEACH as a valuable resource for arguing against nuclear proliferation. In your essay include who should read the book as required reading. These people should be drawn from government and military sources, religious sources, and concerned individuals.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the value of creativity. Refer to the ways the people of Melbourne adjusted to not having fuel to operate cars and other things they no longer had access to. In your essay write about how creative people can find ways to facilitate life even in extreme situations.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on the absurdity of nuclear armament. In your essay discuss why governments still stockpile nuclear weapons after what was learned at Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Express whether you think nuclear weapons will ever be abandoned all over the word.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)