|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
2. What does Dwight announce for their next voyage?
3. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
4. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
5. What does Dwight tell Moira about a submarine scouting trip up the east coast of America?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
2. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
3. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
4. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
5. What is notable about Mary's plans for her garden?
6. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
7. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
8. What is of special interest about the radio signals coming from around Seattle?
9. How has the boisterous revelry of the townspeople changed over the past year?
10. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about the pointlessness of using alcohol or drugs to avoid facing realities. Mention how people in the novel first started having boisterous parties with lots of alcohol consumption but later realized that it was not helping to solve the problem. Turn you essay to people who attempt to use mind altering substances as a way of dealing with problems of a much smaller scale than the extreme problem of ON THE BEACH.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about what should be taught in schools about the dangers of nuclear weapons. Explain how children need to know about those dangers and be encouraged to think of ways they can influence governments to behave rationally about even making nuclear weapons. Express how children worldwide could be enlisted in an effort to get rid of nuclear threats.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about what visitors from another planet find on earth 100 years after ON THE BEACH. In your essay tell what they find and how they speculate what happened to all the people. Use you imagination and be creative.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)