|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Swain do without being seen?
(a) steals a gun from the commander's quarters
(b) gets out of the USS Scorpion and head for Edmonds
(c) hangs himself in the engine room
(d) sends food out the torpedo shaft in case someone is alive
2. When do Broken Hill and Perth go out because of the radiation?
(a) in late June
(b) on Peter's birthday
(c) the day the Scorpion returns
(d) in the beginning of July
3. Where does John tell Peter the radiation sickness is now?
(a) in Wellington
(b) in Tasmania
(c) in Canberra
(d) in Perth
4. Why do they conclude that the city around the Naval Yard shows almost no damage?
(a) because its location is secret
(b) because of a thermal inversion
(c) because of its location
(d) because of anti-missile defenses
5. Where is Albury that has a suspected case of radiation sickness?
(a) about 200 miles north of Melbourne.
(b) about 200 miles west of Melbourne
(c) about 50 miles north of Melbourne
(d) about 100 miles north of Melbourne
Short Answer Questions
1. How does John tell Peter the radiation sickness goes?
2. What amenity is given to Dwight?
3. What living thing will outlast people by about a year?
4. What is the source of the mysterious radio signal Sunderstrom is looking for?
5. What does he look for as a gift for his daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Moira managed to locate that makes Dwight happy enough to drift off to sleep?
2. How does baby Jennifer give Mary a fright?
3. Describe the contradictory things Peter brings home for the baby.
4. Why do things begin to slow down in Melbourne?
5. Describe the symbolism of Dwight's thinking about his family while on board the Scorpion.
6. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
7. What condition does Peter put on his continuing service in the Navy?
8. What is Dwight's condition when he arrives at the Davidson house?
9. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
10. Why is Dwight upset over a painting at the National Gallery?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)