|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the nuclear war last in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) one year
(b) one week
(c) six months
(d) thirty-seven days
2. Who knows about the destination for the upcoming trip of the USS Scorpion according to Dwight?
(a) only Peter and him who have told Mary and Moira
(b) everyone except him
(c) only Peter, John, and him
(d) only John Osbourne who carries sealed orders
3. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
(a) diffused a nuclear bomb that had not exploded
(b) It pulled into its home port and found no one alive
(c) broken the ice at the South Pole
(d) sunk a Russian nuclear sub
4. Why is there a shortage of fuel?
(a) the oil pipelines were all blown up
(b) only the military has access to reserves
(c) it all used to come from the Northern hemisphere
(d) the reserves have all been contaminated
5. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
(a) to lower the outside radiation levels
(b) just as a precaution
(c) to check thoroughly for contamination
(d) an outbreak of measles
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lt. Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy, his wife Mary, and baby daughter Jennifer live?
2. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
3. Why does Mr. Davidson think people are not migrating south ahead of the radiation?
4. How do Moira and Dwight get to know each other better?
5. When does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
2. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
3. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
4. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
5. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
6. What is Moira's objection to Dwight's suggestion that she go to school?
7. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
8. How does the relationship between Dwight and Moira develop?
9. What is notable about Mary's plans for her garden?
10. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)