|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Australia, what do they figure will go a little before Sydney?
(b) Cape Town
2. After the trail cruise, who comes to inspect the USS Scorpion?
(a) the Mayor of Melbourne
(b) former general, Sir Douglas Froude
(c) the Prime Minister
(d) Vice Admiral, Sir David Hartman
3. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
(a) about 4,700 bombs
(b) diplomatic negotiations
(c) warning leaflets
(d) all national loyalties
4. Where does Peter have an appointment?
(a) with the Mayor of Melbourne
(b) on the USS Scorpion
(c) at the Naval Hospital
(d) at the Navy Department in Melbourne
5. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
(a) bring anything or anyone contaminated on board the ship
(b) sail above the water
(c) stay longer than planned
(d) tell the crew what their mission is
Short Answer Questions
1. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
2. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
3. What is headed for the Southern hemisphere?
4. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
5. What does Moira call the submarine trips into the Northern hemisphere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
2. Describe briefly what the story is about.
3. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
4. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
5. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
6. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
7. How does the relationship between Dwight and Moira develop?
8. What is the consensus about which countries actually started the war?
9. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
10. What is of special interest about the radio signals coming from around Seattle?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)