|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the final conclusion about who started the war?
(a) large industrial companies
(b) the rresponsibles, small nuclear capable countries
(c) the Israelies and the Arabs
(d) the Chinese and the Russians
2. Who knows about the destination for the upcoming trip of the USS Scorpion according to Dwight?
(a) only Peter, John, and him
(b) only Peter and him who have told Mary and Moira
(c) everyone except him
(d) only John Osbourne who carries sealed orders
3. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
(a) the USS Scorpion is lost at sea
(b) the people of Melbourne, Australia, hold car races
(c) nuclear destruction of the Northern hemisphere
(d) news media reports a pending nuclear war
4. When does the story take place?
5. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
(a) they need a change of scenery
(b) radiation gets too hot in Rio
(c) radiation has not reached Montevideo
(d) they think some people are alive in Montevideo
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
2. Why are they forbidden to go to Townsville?
3. What plants does Mary want around the house?
4. What does Peter instruct Mary how to do if he is not back when the radiation hits?
5. What happens that night at Peter's and Mary's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moira become the last person whose death is described in the novel?
2. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
3. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
4. How has the war simplified life in Australia to a large extent?
5. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
6. Explain why Peter, a navy lieutenant-commander, has not worked for the past seven months.
7. What is it that Moira agrees to do for Mary if Peter does not return in time?
8. Why does John say his uncle, Sir Froude, still appears to be healthy?
9. How does being in the submarine compare to racing the Ferrari to John?
10. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)