|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Although radiation has reached Townsville, northern Australia, what is the situation?
(a) medical teams are treating the sick
(b) the cases are all light and survivable
(c) the winds have shifted back to the north
(d) there are still people alive there
2. Where is the USS Swordfish, another nuclear powered submarine?
(a) off the coast of France
(b) down in the Antarctic
(c) off the coast of South America
(d) in the Persian Gulf
3. What does Peter do as the sub returns to Melbourne?
(a) calls Moira to let her know Dwight is back
(b) invites Dwight back to his home
(c) resigns his commission
(d) goes to by presents for Mary and Jennifer
4. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
(a) next week
(b) next year
(c) next June or July
(d) next September
5. What has Peter rigged up to carry the baby or groceries?
(a) a four-wheel buggy
(b) a little red wagon
(c) a canvas backpack
(d) a two-wheel carriage for the back of his bicycle
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Peter hoping for?
2. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
3. What is Mary's chief concern at this point?
4. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
5. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
2. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
3. Why does Peter not offer a ship to bring the crew back to land after they sink the USS Scorpion?
4. How does Moira become the last person whose death is described in the novel?
5. Explain what prevents Dwight from going fishing for trout before September 1st.
6. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
7. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
8. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
9. Why does John say his uncle, Sir Froude, still appears to be healthy?
10. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)