|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
(a) next September
(b) next year
(c) next June or July
(d) next week
2. What weapons were used in the Russian-Chinese war?
(a) dirty bombs
(b) siberians and mongals
(c) hydrogen and cobalt bombs
(d) small atomic warheads
3. How long does the USS Swordfish report being submerged that might be a record?
(a) thirty-two days
(b) forty days
(c) six months
(d) three weeks
4. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
(a) the day it started
(b) as early as a year ago
(c) one month before it broke out
(d) just a week before it started
5. Where was Peter stationed when the war started?
(a) at the Naval Base in Melbourne
(b) on board the U.S.S. Scorpion
(c) on board the H.M.A.S. Anzac
(d) at a radar station in Tasmania
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in command on the USS Scorpion?
2. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
3. In church on Sunday, what does Dwight think about?
4. Why does it not take long to bring Osbourne on board the submarine?
5. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moira become the last person whose death is described in the novel?
2. What is notable about Mary's plans for her garden?
3. Describe the symbolism of Dwight's thinking about his family while on board the Scorpion.
4. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
5. What does John Osbourne tell Peter when he asks about how much more time they have?
6. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
7. How has the boisterous revelry of the townspeople changed over the past year?
8. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
9. What is of special interest about the radio signals coming from around Seattle?
10. How does the story begin?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)