|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the nuclear war last in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) one year
(b) thirty-seven days
(c) six months
(d) one week
2. Why are they forbidden to go to Townsville?
(a) the people are dying and cannot be helped
(b) the army is going there
(c) there is no docking facility there
(d) there is not enough time to waste there
3. Where does Peter have an appointment?
(a) with the Mayor of Melbourne
(b) on the USS Scorpion
(c) at the Naval Hospital
(d) at the Navy Department in Melbourne
4. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) that they are all alive
(b) that the war never happened
(c) that they have gone underground
(d) that they are all headed south
5. Who knows about the destination for the upcoming trip of the USS Scorpion according to Dwight?
(a) only Peter, John, and him
(b) only John Osbourne who carries sealed orders
(c) everyone except him
(d) only Peter and him who have told Mary and Moira
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Osbourne's estimate of how long they have to live?
2. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
3. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
4. In Australia, what do they figure will go a little before Sydney?
5. What does Dwight tell Moira he would like to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
2. How does the USS Swordfish illustrate the movement of the radiation?
3. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
4. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
5. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
6. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
7. What is notable about Mary's plans for her garden?
8. How does the story begin?
9. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
10. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)