|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of car does Peter have?
(a) a Mini-Cooper
(b) an MG
(c) a Morris
(d) a Ferrari
2. What plants does Mary want around the house?
(a) ones that they can eat
(b) ones that take years to mature
(c) ones that will come up fast
(d) ones that will survive not being wateres
3. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
(a) getting a sailboat
(b) retiring from the Navy
(c) writing a book
(d) opening a shop
4. Why was the war limited to the Northern hemisphere?
(a) the southern hemisphere was not a threat to the north
(b) it happened too fast to move south
(c) that was planned for much later
(d) nothing south of the equator was considered important
5. What does Dwight say is coming in very evenly all around the world?
(a) the measles
(b) a rise in air temperature
(c) the radiation
(d) a lowering of temperature
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the USS Scorpion able to sail in spite of the fuel shortage?
2. What is John Osbourne's estimate of how long they have to live?
3. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
4. Who is in command on the USS Scorpion?
5. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
2. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
3. How does the relationship between Dwight and Moira develop?
4. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
5. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
6. How has the boisterous revelry of the townspeople changed over the past year?
7. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
8. How has the war simplified life in Australia to a large extent?
9. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
10. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)