|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is it recorded that the people died?
2. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
(a) he rides a bicycle
(b) he rides a pony
(c) he uses roller skates
(d) he walks
3. What does Moira do in Melbourne?
(a) vows to give up drinking
(b) rents an apartment
(c) meets Dwight at a hotel
(d) tours the USS Scorpion
4. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
(a) seven months
(b) a year
(c) seventeen months
(d) a year and a half
5. Where do Lt. Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy, his wife Mary, and baby daughter Jennifer live?
(a) in a flat over a pharmacy
(b) in a hotel in Melbourne
(c) in a bungalow not far from Falmouth, Australia
(d) on the Navy Base at Flamouth
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Osbourne say that perhaps people did not deserve the world?
2. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
3. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
4. How long did the nuclear war last in the Northern hemisphere?
5. What was the final conclusion about who started the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
2. Describe briefly what the story is about.
3. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
4. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
5. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
6. How has the boisterous revelry of the townspeople changed over the past year?
7. What is notable about Mary's plans for her garden?
8. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
9. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
10. How has the war simplified life in Australia to a large extent?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)