|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dwight react to the country?
(a) it makes him wonder if he can do the work
(b) it makes him happy to see the trees again
(c) it makes him wish for the city
(d) it makes him sad for America
2. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
(a) just as a precaution
(b) to lower the outside radiation levels
(c) an outbreak of measles
(d) to check thoroughly for contamination
3. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
(a) just a week before it started
(b) one month before it broke out
(c) as early as a year ago
(d) the day it started
4. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) that they are all headed south
(b) that they are all alive
(c) that the war never happened
(d) that they have gone underground
5. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
(a) it is carrying a deadly disease
(b) it has a leak in the hull and connot submerge
(c) its fuel reactor is broken
(d) it got contaminated while not submerged
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
2. What does Osbourne say about the world?
3. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
4. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
5. When does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
2. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
3. Describe briefly what the story is about.
4. What is of special interest about the radio signals coming from around Seattle?
5. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
6. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
7. How does the story begin?
8. How has the war simplified life in Australia to a large extent?
9. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
10. How does the USS Swordfish illustrate the movement of the radiation?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)