|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What have Peter and Mary learned to do because of the shortages?
(a) make their own butter
(b) weave cloth
(c) raise chickens for eggs
(d) knit socks
2. Why does Peter not hold out much hope for a naval assignment?
(a) there is nothing the ships can do
(b) there is not enough fuel to operate ships
(c) there are too many officers ahead of him
(d) there are only seven small ships left in the Navy
3. How does Dwight react to the country?
(a) it makes him wish for the city
(b) it makes him happy to see the trees again
(c) it makes him sad for America
(d) it makes him wonder if he can do the work
4. What are the people of Melbourne doing to cope with the reality of pending death?
(a) pretending the threat does not exist
(b) attending church services
(c) having boisterous, uninhibited and lighthearted parties
(d) having large family reunions
5. Who is in command on the USS Scorpion?
(a) Lieutenant Commander Darrel Towers
(b) Admiral John Osbourne
(c) Captain John Smith
(d) Commander Dwight Towers
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moira tell Dwight her occupation is?
2. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
3. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
4. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
5. What is Peter hoping for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
2. How does the USS Swordfish illustrate the movement of the radiation?
3. What is of special interest about the radio signals coming from around Seattle?
4. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
5. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
6. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
7. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
8. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
9. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
10. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)