|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Osbourne say about the world?
(a) it will collapse from carbon pollutions
(b) it will become a vast desert planet like Mars
(c) it will disintegrate slowly
(d) it will go on, there just won't be people
2. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
(a) about five years
(b) only a year
(c) under 20 years
(d) more than fifty years
3. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
(a) to get a job or go to trade school
(b) to volunteer at a hsopital
(c) to go to Alcoholics anonymous
(d) to plan their meeting after the next voyage
4. Why does Dwight think forty percent of his crew will not return to the Scorpion?
(a) they are tired of useless trips
(b) they want to die on land
(c) they cannot stand being submerged
(d) they have Australian girlfriends
5. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
(a) the Prime Minister
(b) the Vice Admiral of the Australian Navy
(c) Moira and Dwight
(d) Sir Douglas Froude, John's great uncle, a retired Lieutenant General
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
2. Why does Moira think going to school is ridiculous?
3. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
4. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
5. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the story begin?
2. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
3. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
4. Describe what becomes John's coffin.
5. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
6. Explain why Peter, a navy lieutenant-commander, has not worked for the past seven months.
7. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
8. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
9. What does Peter know when the radio calmly announces there are radiation sickness cases in the city?
10. How does John say the sickness goes near the end?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)