|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
(a) nuclear destruction of the Northern hemisphere
(b) news media reports a pending nuclear war
(c) the people of Melbourne, Australia, hold car races
(d) the USS Scorpion is lost at sea
2. What plants does Mary want around the house?
(a) ones that they can eat
(b) ones that will survive not being wateres
(c) ones that will come up fast
(d) ones that take years to mature
3. What does Moira do in Melbourne?
(a) vows to give up drinking
(b) meets Dwight at a hotel
(c) rents an apartment
(d) tours the USS Scorpion
4. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
(a) as science officer to test the levels of radiation
(b) as communications officer to translate Australian speech
(c) as morale officer to entertain the sailors
(d) as medical officer to care for injured
5. What does Moira call the submarine trips into the Northern hemisphere?
(a) looking for busy work
(b) looking at dead people through a periscope
(c) looking for needles in a haystack
(d) looking for ships that never come in
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
2. What was the final conclusion about who started the war?
3. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
4. How long does the USS Swordfish report being submerged that might be a record?
5. What social gathering have Peter and Mary just hosted as the story opens?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the relationship between Dwight and Moira develop?
2. What is the understanding between Dwight and Moira that is verbalized on their fishing trip?
3. Explain Dwight's change of status on the return trip from the north.
4. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
5. What does Mrs. Osbourne, John's mother, say about the two weeks it will take her to die of the radiation?
6. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
7. What is Dwight's condition when he arrives at the Davidson house?
8. How does baby Jennifer give Mary a fright?
9. Why does Peter not offer a ship to bring the crew back to land after they sink the USS Scorpion?
10. How does Moira become the last person whose death is described in the novel?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)