|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
(a) the USS Scorpion is lost at sea
(b) the people of Melbourne, Australia, hold car races
(c) nuclear destruction of the Northern hemisphere
(d) news media reports a pending nuclear war
2. What does the Prime Minister say they want from Dwight and his crew?
(a) to have a detailed report ready
(b) to return in good health
(c) to set some new endurance records
(d) to find some life in the north
3. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
(a) stay longer than planned
(b) sail above the water
(c) bring anything or anyone contaminated on board the ship
(d) tell the crew what their mission is
4. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
(a) uncouth new members
(b) the antique furniture
(c) the girlie floorshow
(d) over three thousand bottles of vintage port
5. Why is there a shortage of fuel?
(a) the oil pipelines were all blown up
(b) only the military has access to reserves
(c) the reserves have all been contaminated
(d) it all used to come from the Northern hemisphere
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Moira and Dwight get to know each other better?
2. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
3. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
4. How is it recorded that the people died?
5. What was the final conclusion about who started the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
2. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
3. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
4. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
5. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
6. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
7. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
8. Explain why Peter, a navy lieutenant-commander, has not worked for the past seven months.
9. How does the USS Swordfish illustrate the movement of the radiation?
10. What is the consensus about which countries actually started the war?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)