|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What social gathering have Peter and Mary just hosted as the story opens?
(a) a formal dinner
(b) a barbecue
(c) a sock hop
(d) a family reunion
2. What have Peter and Mary learned to do because of the shortages?
(a) knit socks
(b) make their own butter
(c) weave cloth
(d) raise chickens for eggs
3. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
(a) as communications officer to translate Australian speech
(b) as medical officer to care for injured
(c) as science officer to test the levels of radiation
(d) as morale officer to entertain the sailors
4. What are some people putting on top of Mount Kosciusko?
(a) a monument
(b) a white flag
(c) a time capsule
(d) family photographs
5. What is headed for the Southern hemisphere?
(a) radiation fallout
(b) the entire U.S. naval fleet
(c) planes carrying nuclear bombs
(d) guided missiles from the North
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
2. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
3. How does Dwight react to the country?
4. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
5. When does the story take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
2. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
3. What is the consensus about which countries actually started the war?
4. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
5. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
6. What is Moira's objection to Dwight's suggestion that she go to school?
7. What does Moira learn about Dwight while touring the submarine?
8. How does the USS Swordfish illustrate the movement of the radiation?
9. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
10. How does the story begin?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)