|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) that the war never happened
(b) that they are all alive
(c) that they have gone underground
(d) that they are all headed south
2. Why does Mr. Davidson think people are not migrating south ahead of the radiation?
(a) they do not really believe it is going to happen to them
(b) they think the radiation will weaken quickly
(c) not enough publicity had time to get to everyone
(d) they have no idea where to go
3. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
(a) seven months
(b) seventeen months
(c) a year and a half
(d) a year
4. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
(a) as morale officer to entertain the sailors
(b) as medical officer to care for injured
(c) as communications officer to translate Australian speech
(d) as science officer to test the levels of radiation
5. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
(a) Falmouth, Australia
(b) Christ Church, New Zealand
(c) Sydney, Australia
(d) Wellington, New Zealand
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mary's chief concern at this point?
2. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
3. What social gathering have Peter and Mary just hosted as the story opens?
4. What weapons were used in the Russian-Chinese war?
5. What does Dwight tell Moira he would like to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
2. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
3. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
4. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
5. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
6. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
7. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
8. What is Dwight's experience in church the weekend he spends with Peter and Mary?
9. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
10. What is Moira's objection to Dwight's suggestion that she go to school?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)