|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
(a) to lower the outside radiation levels
(b) to check thoroughly for contamination
(c) just as a precaution
(d) an outbreak of measles
2. Although radiation has reached Townsville, northern Australia, what is the situation?
(a) medical teams are treating the sick
(b) the cases are all light and survivable
(c) there are still people alive there
(d) the winds have shifted back to the north
3. What do they figure will go before Melbourne?
(a) the Maldives
(c) Africa and South America
4. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) that the war never happened
(b) that they are all alive
(c) that they have gone underground
(d) that they are all headed south
5. Where was Peter stationed when the war started?
(a) at the Naval Base in Melbourne
(b) on board the H.M.A.S. Anzac
(c) on board the U.S.S. Scorpion
(d) at a radar station in Tasmania
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John's uncle doing that he had given up for health reasons?
2. What was the final conclusion about who started the war?
3. What does the Prime Minister say they want from Dwight and his crew?
4. What are the people of Melbourne doing to cope with the reality of pending death?
5. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
2. Describe briefly what the story is about.
3. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
4. How has the war simplified life in Australia to a large extent?
5. What does John Osbourne estimate was the size of the nuclear war that was fought?
6. What is the consensus about which countries actually started the war?
7. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
8. How does the relationship between Dwight and Moira develop?
9. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
10. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)