|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is headed for the Southern hemisphere?
(a) radiation fallout
(b) the entire U.S. naval fleet
(c) planes carrying nuclear bombs
(d) guided missiles from the North
2. What does Mary do to protect the baby from the measles?
(a) forbids Peter to come home
(b) feeds the baby quinine
(c) puts up a mosquito net
(d) takes the baby to the Davidsons
3. Why does Peter ride his bicycle to Mr. Paul's farm?
(a) to buy lettuce and tomatoes
(b) to sell eggs
(c) to get milk and cream
(d) to ask for a job
4. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
(a) it will be safe to head north
(b) everyone on Earth will be dead
(c) rabbits and dogs will die first
(d) global warming will cause floods
5. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
(a) the people of Melbourne, Australia, hold car races
(b) news media reports a pending nuclear war
(c) the USS Scorpion is lost at sea
(d) nuclear destruction of the Northern hemisphere
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
2. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
3. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
4. What has Peter rigged up to carry the baby or groceries?
5. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Moira's objection to Dwight's suggestion that she go to school?
2. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
3. How does baby Jennifer give Mary a fright?
4. How is John Osbourne able to race his car so much?
5. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
6. How does Moira become the last person whose death is described in the novel?
7. How is Moira changing from thinking planting plants for the next year is a silly waste of time?
8. Why does John say his uncle, Sir Froude, still appears to be healthy?
9. On the long voyage of the Scorpion, what are they able to learn about San Francisco?
10. What is it that Moira agrees to do for Mary if Peter does not return in time?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)