|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
(a) next June or July
(b) next September
(c) next year
(d) next week
2. What does Dwight announce for their next voyage?
(a) looking for inhabitable places in the Arctic
(b) putting a man ashore in protective clothing
(c) looking for underwater places to build a city
(d) sailing completely around the world
3. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
(a) everyone on Earth will be dead
(b) rabbits and dogs will die first
(c) it will be safe to head north
(d) global warming will cause floods
4. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
(a) Moira and Dwight
(b) the Prime Minister
(c) the Vice Admiral of the Australian Navy
(d) Sir Douglas Froude, John's great uncle, a retired Lieutenant General
5. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
(a) no one believes the end will come
(b) keeping busy helps everyone prepare
(c) that's the way Australians are
(d) she's not brave enough to do that
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
2. Who knows about the destination for the upcoming trip of the USS Scorpion according to Dwight?
3. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
4. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
5. What does Moira call the submarine trips into the Northern hemisphere?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
2. What does Moira learn about Dwight while touring the submarine?
3. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
4. How does Shute explain the proliferation of atomic weapons?
5. How does the story begin?
6. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
7. Why have methods of transportation changed in Australia?
8. How do some people hold the hope that one day humans will again populate the Earth?
9. How has the war simplified life in Australia to a large extent?
10. Tell what is known about the global nuclear war.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)