|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the war escalate?
(a) the nuclear fallout began affecting other countries
(b) when Japan joined the conflict
(c) no one really knows
(d) other countries seeing a chance to gain territory
2. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
(a) it got contaminated while not submerged
(b) it is carrying a deadly disease
(c) it has a leak in the hull and connot submerge
(d) its fuel reactor is broken
3. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
(a) to cook fried checken
(b) to massage his back
(c) to polish his shoes
(d) to mend his laundry
4. What does Moira call the submarine trips into the Northern hemisphere?
(a) looking for busy work
(b) looking for ships that never come in
(c) looking at dead people through a periscope
(d) looking for needles in a haystack
5. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
(a) she's not brave enough to do that
(b) no one believes the end will come
(c) keeping busy helps everyone prepare
(d) that's the way Australians are
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
2. What are Peter and Mary doing while Dwight and Moira attend church?
3. What social gathering have Peter and Mary just hosted as the story opens?
4. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
5. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the consensus about which countries actually started the war?
2. What is the problem with Moira's ability to understand what has happened in the world?
3. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
4. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
5. How does the relationship between Dwight and Moira develop?
6. Why have people grown accustomed to the radiation coming their way and just go about their regular business?
7. How had Dwight been warned of the possibility of the war?
8. What does Moira learn about Dwight while touring the submarine?
9. What is of special interest about the radio signals coming from around Seattle?
10. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)