|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
(a) sunk a Russian nuclear sub
(b) diffused a nuclear bomb that had not exploded
(c) It pulled into its home port and found no one alive
(d) broken the ice at the South Pole
2. What was the final conclusion about who started the war?
(a) the Chinese and the Russians
(b) the rresponsibles, small nuclear capable countries
(c) the Israelies and the Arabs
(d) large industrial companies
3. What is the only sign of life at Queensland?
(a) a kangaroo
(b) a camel
(c) a dog
(d) a rabbit
4. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
(a) seven months
(b) seventeen months
(c) a year and a half
(d) a year
5. How does Dwight react to the country?
(a) it makes him wonder if he can do the work
(b) it makes him happy to see the trees again
(c) it makes him wish for the city
(d) it makes him sad for America
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did the nuclear war last in the Northern hemisphere?
2. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
3. How long does Peter say the next trip of the Scorpion will probably take?
4. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
5. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Sir Froude is drinking wine against his doctor's orders?
2. Describe briefly what the story is about.
3. Why did governments resort to using nuclear weapons?
4. Explain where is it deemed possible that life might actually be able to continue on Earth?
5. Describe what the USS Scorpion crew sees everywhere they go.
6. In what way does Dwight hold out some hope for the situation?
7. How has the boisterous revelry of the townspeople changed over the past year?
8. Describe Moira's attitude toward life.
9. Explain Moira's answer that she will face the facts of life next September.
10. What does it mean that the people had all died tidily?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)