|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do they want to check out the radio signals?
(a) there might be a human behind them
(b) there might be a clue about the war
(c) there night be a new source of energy
(d) there might be a break in the fallout
2. How does Lt. Sunderstrom go ashore at Elliott Bay?
(a) in a space suit
(b) in a radiation suit
(c) in a mini-sub
(d) in a plastic bubble
3. When do Broken Hill and Perth go out because of the radiation?
(a) in the beginning of July
(b) on Peter's birthday
(c) in late June
(d) the day the Scorpion returns
4. What good news does Moira tell Dwight?
(a) the Grand Prix is earlier this year
(b) the Scorpion has been refitted
(c) the fishing season has been opened early
(d) she is carrying his child
5. Why are they not sure about the radiation sickness in Cape Town?
(a) the Scorpion has not gone there
(b) there is still radio contact
(c) there are no radio stations in Cape Town
(d) they have conflicting reports
6. What does Sunderstrom find that he cannot take back to the submarine?
(a) tapes of Buddy Holly
(b) bottles of Mountain Dew
(c) notes written by dying people
(d) copies of Saturday Evening Post
7. What does a radiation reading of thirty in the red mean?
(a) lethal within one or two hours exposure
(b) safe to be in for a week
(c) lethal immediately upon exposure
(d) not high enough to be immediately lethal
8. Meanwhile, what is John Osbourne doing?
(a) looking for a new race car
(b) racing his Ferrari
(c) repairing his Ferrari
(d) courting Moira
9. How does John tell Peter the radiation sickness goes?
(a) long and lingering
(b) slow and painless
(c) like nothing unusual is happening
(d) quickly at the end
10. What objects does Dwight hold onto to maintain his ties to his family?
(a) a pogo stick and a fishing rod
(b) photographs and letters
(c) a bracelet and a fishing rod
(d) a music box and a boomerang
11. What special fuel does John need for his Ferrari?
(a) unleaded fuel
(b) aviation fuel
(c) diesel fuel
(d) ether-alcohol mixture
12. Where is Albury that has a suspected case of radiation sickness?
(a) about 50 miles north of Melbourne
(b) about 200 miles north of Melbourne.
(c) about 100 miles north of Melbourne
(d) about 200 miles west of Melbourne
13. What does the group of dead people in the gazebo look like?
(a) they are having a party
(b) they are taking a smoke break
(c) they are trying to hide
(d) they are unexpectedly surprised
14. How does John keep his fear under control while on the submarine?
(a) by talking with Peter
(b) by thinking about his Ferrari
(c) by drinking brandy
(d) by concentrating on his work
15. Where does the crew of the Scorpion see Swain?
(a) setting fire to Edmonds
(b) driving a convertible in Edmonds
(c) swinging from the flagpole in Edmonds
(d) walking through the streets of Edmonds
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the radiation sickness by August?
2. What is Dwight's condition when he arrives at Moira's house?
3. By radio message, what does Dwight Towers learn he has now become?
4. Where are the most southerly cases now, according to John's update?
5. Why can Dwight not go trout fishing?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)