|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does John keep his fear under control while on the submarine?
(a) by talking with Peter
(b) by thinking about his Ferrari
(c) by drinking brandy
(d) by concentrating on his work
2. Why does Swain not take the gun offered him?
(a) he has one of his own
(b) he says he will drown himself
(c) he doesn't think he will die
(d) he wants to go like his family
3. Although Mary begins to understand, what does she continue to do?
(a) drinking a lot
(b) digging up the garden to burn
(c) things that will be needed next year
(d) raging at Peter
4. What does a radiation reading of thirty in the red mean?
(a) lethal immediately upon exposure
(b) safe to be in for a week
(c) not high enough to be immediately lethal
(d) lethal within one or two hours exposure
5. Where do the pinpoint the location of the Seattle transmission?
(a) at Half Moon Bay
(b) at the Columbia River
(c) at Seattle airport
(d) at Santa Maria
6. In spite of the news, what are Peter and Mary doing?
(a) planning a vacation
(b) riding their bicycles
(c) taking the baby to the beach
(d) discussing narcissus for the garden for next year
7. What gift does he buy for his son?
(a) a pogo stick
(b) a soccer ball
(c) a fishing rod
(d) a boomerang
8. By radio message, what does Dwight Towers learn he has now become?
(a) coordinator of Australian Civil Defense
(b) the commanding officer of the U.S. Naval forces in all areas
(c) a new father
(d) the record holder for staying submerged
9. How does Peter explain the need for her to know about the pills?
(a) he says he might not return
(b) he says he might get too sick to administer them
(c) he says it is easier than radiation sickness
(d) he says she needs to know what others are doing
10. What does John Osbourne look forward to after the next submarine trip?
(a) asking Moira to marry him
(b) drinking port with his uncle
(c) three months of auto racing
(d) taking a road trip
11. What does Moira decide to do while Dwight is at sea?
(a) go racing with John Osbourne
(b) go stay with Mary and Jennifer
(c) look for the pogo stick he could not find
(d) buy him some new socks
12. When Moira and Dwight meet next, what does she tell him?
(a) she is taking a secretarial course
(b) she is pregnant
(c) she is going to ask to go with him
(d) she is planning a party for his return
13. When do Broken Hill and Perth go out because of the radiation?
(a) on Peter's birthday
(b) the day the Scorpion returns
(c) in the beginning of July
(d) in late June
14. After dinner, where do Dwight and Moira go?
(a) the National Gallery
(b) back to the Scorpion
(c) the nearest bar
(d) to a hotel room
15. What does Sunderstrom find that he cannot take back to the submarine?
(a) copies of Saturday Evening Post
(b) bottles of Mountain Dew
(c) notes written by dying people
(d) tapes of Buddy Holly
Short Answer Questions
1. What does John Osbourne tell Dwight?
2. How does John tell Peter the radiation sickness goes?
3. After the Pastoral Club, what do John and Peter have?
4. What disturbs Dwight about one painting?
5. Where does John tell Peter the radiation sickness is now?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)