|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Swain not take the gun offered him?
(a) he says he will drown himself
(b) he has one of his own
(c) he doesn't think he will die
(d) he wants to go like his family
2. What objects does Dwight hold onto to maintain his ties to his family?
(a) a music box and a boomerang
(b) a bracelet and a fishing rod
(c) photographs and letters
(d) a pogo stick and a fishing rod
3. Why is the news on the radio not accurate, according to John?
(a) they are about three days late
(b) they only broadcast rumors
(c) they have outdated equipment
(d) they have no way to get the facts
4. How does John tell Peter the radiation sickness goes?
(a) slow and painless
(b) quickly at the end
(c) long and lingering
(d) like nothing unusual is happening
5. What are they giving away at the Pastoral Club now?
(a) the most expensive bottles of wine
(b) free memberships
(c) bottles of cheap wine
(d) ashtrays and silverware
6. Who starts the push to get the fishing season moved back in Australia?
7. Meanwhile, what is John Osbourne doing?
(a) repairing his Ferrari
(b) courting Moira
(c) racing his Ferrari
(d) looking for a new race car
8. What does Swain do without being seen?
(a) gets out of the USS Scorpion and head for Edmonds
(b) sends food out the torpedo shaft in case someone is alive
(c) hangs himself in the engine room
(d) steals a gun from the commander's quarters
9. When do Broken Hill and Perth go out because of the radiation?
(a) in late June
(b) in the beginning of July
(c) on Peter's birthday
(d) the day the Scorpion returns
10. Where is the radiation sickness by August?
(a) Southern Argentina
(b) Sydney and Adelaide
(c) Cape of Good Hope
(d) South Africa and Uruguay
11. What does Moira decide to do while Dwight is at sea?
(a) look for the pogo stick he could not find
(b) buy him some new socks
(c) go racing with John Osbourne
(d) go stay with Mary and Jennifer
12. What is John's most recent prognosis for the radiation cloud?
(a) it has slowed down
(b) it looks like it will stop
(c) it seems to be coming a little faster
(d) it appears to be weakening
13. Why are there more cars on the road now?
(a) people are no longer saving fuel
(b) a new source of fuel is found
(c) people are trying to kill themselves in car accidents
(d) the government is giving away fuel
14. In spite of the news, what are Peter and Mary doing?
(a) discussing narcissus for the garden for next year
(b) riding their bicycles
(c) planning a vacation
(d) taking the baby to the beach
15. What is Moira's surprise for Dwight?
(a) a pogo stick
(b) a boomerang
(c) a new sailboat
(d) tickets to the opera
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are they not sure about the radiation sickness in Cape Town?
2. Who is on the motorboat the sub spots?
3. How does he convince Mary that taking Jennifer's life might be the best thing to do?
4. What does Sunderstrom find that he cannot take back to the submarine?
5. What does Dwight plan to tell Sharon about Moira?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)