|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are they giving away at the Pastoral Club now?
(a) bottles of cheap wine
(b) free memberships
(c) the most expensive bottles of wine
(d) ashtrays and silverware
2. How does Lt. Sunderstrom go ashore at Elliott Bay?
(a) in a space suit
(b) in a mini-sub
(c) in a plastic bubble
(d) in a radiation suit
3. What do they notice about most of the houses?
(a) most roofs blown off of houses
(b) not much damage but no signs of life
(c) damage that looks like a cyclone came through
(d) all the paint peeled off the houses
4. Where does the crew of the Scorpion see Swain?
(a) driving a convertible in Edmonds
(b) setting fire to Edmonds
(c) walking through the streets of Edmonds
(d) swinging from the flagpole in Edmonds
5. What disturbs Dwight about one painting?
(a) it reminds him of his home in Mystic
(b) the woman in the painting looks like Sharon, his wife
(c) it is bright, cheerful, and unreal
(d) it looks like New York destroyed by the bombs
6. After the Pastoral Club, what do John and Peter have?
(a) scones and English tea
(b) a wild and dangerous ride in the Ferrari
(c) another round of drinks at the hotel
(d) a serious discussion about life and death
7. How does he convince Mary that taking Jennifer's life might be the best thing to do?
(a) he asks her to imagine the baby without her parents
(b) he tells her that they will all be together after death
(c) he tells her that angry people might try to shoot the baby
(d) he tells her that the baby would suffer more than they
8. Although Mary begins to understand, what does she continue to do?
(a) drinking a lot
(b) raging at Peter
(c) things that will be needed next year
(d) digging up the garden to burn
9. How does Peter explain the need for her to know about the pills?
(a) he says he might not return
(b) he says it is easier than radiation sickness
(c) he says he might get too sick to administer them
(d) he says she needs to know what others are doing
10. What seems to increase the tolerance to radioactivity, by a few days?
11. Why does Swain not take the gun offered him?
(a) he wants to go like his family
(b) he doesn't think he will die
(c) he has one of his own
(d) he says he will drown himself
12. What are Peter and Mary doing now?
(a) going to the mountains to ski
(b) planning on having another baby
(c) digging a radiation shelter
(d) laying out flower beds for spring
13. How long do they estimate Swain will live?
(a) about two weeks
(b) about a month
(c) about three hours
(d) about three days
14. Why can Dwight not go trout fishing?
(a) it is too far to the mountain streams
(b) he has no fishing gear
(c) he cannot be that far away from the Scorpion
(d) fishing but the season doesn't start until September 1st
15. Where does Dwight want to take the USS Scorpion?
(a) under the ice at the Antarctic
(b) down to Tasmania
(c) around the world one last time
(d) back to the United States
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is on the motorboat the sub spots?
2. What is the reason Jennifer keeps crying?
3. Why does John want the Grand Prix race moved up to August 10th?
4. Why does Seaman Swain want to see Edmonds through the periscope?
5. Why is the news on the radio not accurate, according to John?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)