|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moira decide to do while Dwight is at sea?
(a) go stay with Mary and Jennifer
(b) go racing with John Osbourne
(c) look for the pogo stick he could not find
(d) buy him some new socks
2. How does John tell Peter the radiation sickness goes?
(a) long and lingering
(b) slow and painless
(c) like nothing unusual is happening
(d) quickly at the end
3. When there is meat at the butcher shop, how much do they have to pay?
(a) nothing if they have no cash
(b) ten times what it was a year ago
(c) a gallon of fuel per pound
(d) triple normal prices
4. What amenity is given to Dwight?
(a) a suite at a 4-star hotel
(b) unlimited use of the OC
(c) a Navy car and driver
(d) a second liaison officer
5. How do Dwight and Moira avoid thinking about the end?
(a) they agree not to talk
(b) they drink too much
(c) they talk about next year
(d) they talk about the past
6. What disturbs Dwight about one painting?
(a) it looks like New York destroyed by the bombs
(b) it is bright, cheerful, and unreal
(c) the woman in the painting looks like Sharon, his wife
(d) it reminds him of his home in Mystic
7. What special fuel does John need for his Ferrari?
(a) aviation fuel
(b) ether-alcohol mixture
(c) diesel fuel
(d) unleaded fuel
8. How does he convince Mary that taking Jennifer's life might be the best thing to do?
(a) he asks her to imagine the baby without her parents
(b) he tells her that angry people might try to shoot the baby
(c) he tells her that the baby would suffer more than they
(d) he tells her that they will all be together after death
9. Where do they think there are no people living?
(a) Papua New Guinea
(d) Tierra del Fuego
10. What does Swain do without being seen?
(a) hangs himself in the engine room
(b) sends food out the torpedo shaft in case someone is alive
(c) steals a gun from the commander's quarters
(d) gets out of the USS Scorpion and head for Edmonds
11. What does the group of dead people in the gazebo look like?
(a) they are taking a smoke break
(b) they are trying to hide
(c) they are having a party
(d) they are unexpectedly surprised
12. What objects does Dwight hold onto to maintain his ties to his family?
(a) a pogo stick and a fishing rod
(b) a bracelet and a fishing rod
(c) a music box and a boomerang
(d) photographs and letters
13. What does Dwight plan to tell Sharon about Moira?
(a) she made it possible for him to remain faithful and sober
(b) she taught him how to fish
(c) she is old and ugly but good company
(d) she did nothing except darn his socks
14. What is Dwight's condition when he arrives at Moira's house?
(a) very happy
(b) very depressed
(c) very ill
(d) very flippant
15. What does John Osbourne tell Dwight?
(a) under the circumstances he should go fishing anyway
(b) the Australian Game and Wildlife is very strict
(c) they only give you a ticket and confiscate your fish
(d) he knows a secret place where no one ever goes
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Peter and Mary doing now?
2. Why are there more cars on the road now?
3. Why does John want the Grand Prix race moved up to August 10th?
4. What is the reason Jennifer keeps crying?
5. How long do they estimate Swain will live?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)