|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does John tell Peter the radiation sickness is now?
(a) in Tasmania
(b) in Perth
(c) in Wellington
(d) in Canberra
2. What is John's most recent prognosis for the radiation cloud?
(a) it seems to be coming a little faster
(b) it appears to be weakening
(c) it has slowed down
(d) it looks like it will stop
3. What does he look for as a gift for his daughter?
(a) a doll house
(b) a set of puzzles
(c) an Australian doll
(d) a pogo stick
4. What does a radiation reading of thirty in the red mean?
(a) not high enough to be immediately lethal
(b) lethal immediately upon exposure
(c) lethal within one or two hours exposure
(d) safe to be in for a week
5. What is Dwight's condition when he arrives at Moira's house?
(a) very flippant
(b) very depressed
(c) very ill
(d) very happy
6. How does John tell Peter the radiation sickness goes?
(a) slow and painless
(b) quickly at the end
(c) like nothing unusual is happening
(d) long and lingering
7. Although Mary begins to understand, what does she continue to do?
(a) digging up the garden to burn
(b) raging at Peter
(c) drinking a lot
(d) things that will be needed next year
8. In spite of the news, what are Peter and Mary doing?
(a) planning a vacation
(b) discussing narcissus for the garden for next year
(c) taking the baby to the beach
(d) riding their bicycles
9. Besides the suicide pills and syringe, what does Peter bring home?
(a) a green playpen
(b) a little red wagon
(c) new bicycle tires
(d) a bouquet of roses
10. What does John Osbourne tell Dwight?
(a) the Australian Game and Wildlife is very strict
(b) he knows a secret place where no one ever goes
(c) under the circumstances he should go fishing anyway
(d) they only give you a ticket and confiscate your fish
11. Why does Seaman Swain want to see Edmonds through the periscope?
(a) it is near his hometown
(b) his girlfriend lives there
(c) it is his hometown
(d) he went to college there
12. After the Gallery, where does Dwight go?
(a) to see John's Ferreri
(b) to the farm with Moira
(c) back to the Holmes' bungalow
(d) shopping for gifts for his family
13. What does Dwight order the captain of the USS Swordfish to do with his submarine?
(a) put her in dry dock
(b) sink her on the high seas
(c) use her for a shelter
(d) give her to the Brazilians
14. When do Broken Hill and Perth go out because of the radiation?
(a) the day the Scorpion returns
(b) on Peter's birthday
(c) in the beginning of July
(d) in late June
15. What is the source of the mysterious radio signal Sunderstrom is looking for?
(a) a broken casement rolling on a Coke bottle
(b) a bobble-head figure lying on its side
(c) a tennis ball rolling around on the desk
(d) a fallen curtrain rod moved by the wind
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the radiation sickness by August?
2. How do Dwight and Moira avoid thinking about the end?
3. What living thing will outlast people by about a year?
4. What does the USS Scorpion discover looking at San Francisco?
5. What good news does Moira tell Dwight?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)