|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
(a) to massage his back
(b) to cook fried checken
(c) to mend his laundry
(d) to polish his shoes
2. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
(a) just a week before it started
(b) one month before it broke out
(c) the day it started
(d) as early as a year ago
3. What is John Osbourne's estimate of how long they have to live?
(a) about three months
(b) about a decade
(c) about a year
(d) about six months
4. Why does Dwight think forty percent of his crew will not return to the Scorpion?
(a) they have Australian girlfriends
(b) they want to die on land
(c) they are tired of useless trips
(d) they cannot stand being submerged
5. What does Moira tell Dwight her occupation is?
(d) drinking alcohol
6. Why does Mr. Davidson think people are not migrating south ahead of the radiation?
(a) they do not really believe it is going to happen to them
(b) they have no idea where to go
(c) not enough publicity had time to get to everyone
(d) they think the radiation will weaken quickly
7. What does Mary do to protect the baby from the measles?
(a) puts up a mosquito net
(b) feeds the baby quinine
(c) forbids Peter to come home
(d) takes the baby to the Davidsons
8. Why does Osbourne say that perhaps people did not deserve the world?
(a) the animals have more sense
(b) we have been too silly
(c) the world has too much to offer
(d) we deserve something better
9. With whom do Peter and Dwight meet in Melbourne?
(a) the Supreme Allied Commander
(b) the crew of the USS Scorpion
(c) a committee of nervous residents
(d) the Prime Minister
10. What does Moira do in Melbourne?
(a) meets Dwight at a hotel
(b) vows to give up drinking
(c) rents an apartment
(d) tours the USS Scorpion
11. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
(a) to plan their meeting after the next voyage
(b) to get a job or go to trade school
(c) to volunteer at a hsopital
(d) to go to Alcoholics anonymous
12. What does Osbourne say about the world?
(a) it will go on, there just won't be people
(b) it will disintegrate slowly
(c) it will become a vast desert planet like Mars
(d) it will collapse from carbon pollutions
13. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
(a) about 4,700 bombs
(b) all national loyalties
(c) warning leaflets
(d) diplomatic negotiations
14. Who knows about the destination for the upcoming trip of the USS Scorpion according to Dwight?
(a) only Peter, John, and him
(b) only Peter and him who have told Mary and Moira
(c) only John Osbourne who carries sealed orders
(d) everyone except him
15. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
(a) to lower the outside radiation levels
(b) to check thoroughly for contamination
(c) just as a precaution
(d) an outbreak of measles
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Peter hoping for?
2. What kind of car does Peter have?
3. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
4. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
5. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)