|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
(a) keeping busy helps everyone prepare
(b) no one believes the end will come
(c) she's not brave enough to do that
(d) that's the way Australians are
2. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
(a) just a week before it started
(b) one month before it broke out
(c) the day it started
(d) as early as a year ago
3. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
(a) sail above the water
(b) bring anything or anyone contaminated on board the ship
(c) stay longer than planned
(d) tell the crew what their mission is
4. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
(a) nuclear destruction of the Northern hemisphere
(b) news media reports a pending nuclear war
(c) the people of Melbourne, Australia, hold car races
(d) the USS Scorpion is lost at sea
5. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
(a) rabbits and dogs will die first
(b) global warming will cause floods
(c) everyone on Earth will be dead
(d) it will be safe to head north
6. Why does it not take long to bring Osbourne on board the submarine?
(a) most of his equipment is portable
(b) he is passed out drunk and carried onto the ship
(c) he will use the ship's equipment
(d) he is in a hurry to get started
7. What does Dwight announce for their next voyage?
(a) putting a man ashore in protective clothing
(b) sailing completely around the world
(c) looking for inhabitable places in the Arctic
(d) looking for underwater places to build a city
8. What do they figure will go before Melbourne?
(a) the Maldives
(b) Africa and South America
9. What was the final conclusion about who started the war?
(a) the Chinese and the Russians
(b) the rresponsibles, small nuclear capable countries
(c) the Israelies and the Arabs
(d) large industrial companies
10. What does Moira call the submarine trips into the Northern hemisphere?
(a) looking at dead people through a periscope
(b) looking for needles in a haystack
(c) looking for busy work
(d) looking for ships that never come in
11. Where do Lt. Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy, his wife Mary, and baby daughter Jennifer live?
(a) in a hotel in Melbourne
(b) on the Navy Base at Flamouth
(c) in a flat over a pharmacy
(d) in a bungalow not far from Falmouth, Australia
12. Why does Mr. Davidson think people are not migrating south ahead of the radiation?
(a) they think the radiation will weaken quickly
(b) they have no idea where to go
(c) they do not really believe it is going to happen to them
(d) not enough publicity had time to get to everyone
13. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
(a) more than fifty years
(b) about five years
(c) only a year
(d) under 20 years
14. What have Peter and Mary learned to do because of the shortages?
(a) raise chickens for eggs
(b) knit socks
(c) make their own butter
(d) weave cloth
15. What plants does Mary want around the house?
(a) ones that will come up fast
(b) ones that they can eat
(c) ones that take years to mature
(d) ones that will survive not being wateres
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter instruct Mary how to do if he is not back when the radiation hits?
2. Why does Osbourne say that perhaps people did not deserve the world?
3. What social gathering have Peter and Mary just hosted as the story opens?
4. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
5. What are some people putting on top of Mount Kosciusko?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)