|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
(a) just as a precaution
(b) an outbreak of measles
(c) to check thoroughly for contamination
(d) to lower the outside radiation levels
2. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
(a) diplomatic negotiations
(b) about 4,700 bombs
(c) warning leaflets
(d) all national loyalties
3. What have Peter and Mary learned to do because of the shortages?
(a) weave cloth
(b) knit socks
(c) raise chickens for eggs
(d) make their own butter
4. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
(a) next week
(b) next year
(c) next September
(d) next June or July
5. What does Peter do as the sub returns to Melbourne?
(a) resigns his commission
(b) calls Moira to let her know Dwight is back
(c) goes to by presents for Mary and Jennifer
(d) invites Dwight back to his home
6. What does Mary do to protect the baby from the measles?
(a) feeds the baby quinine
(b) takes the baby to the Davidsons
(c) puts up a mosquito net
(d) forbids Peter to come home
7. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
(a) an abandoned ferry
(b) a rubber raft
(c) a derelict tanker
(d) a fishing boat
8. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
(a) tell the crew what their mission is
(b) bring anything or anyone contaminated on board the ship
(c) sail above the water
(d) stay longer than planned
9. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
(a) to massage his back
(b) to polish his shoes
(c) to mend his laundry
(d) to cook fried checken
10. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
(a) Falmouth, Australia
(b) Wellington, New Zealand
(c) Christ Church, New Zealand
(d) Sydney, Australia
11. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
(a) seven months
(b) a year
(c) seventeen months
(d) a year and a half
12. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
(a) the girlie floorshow
(b) over three thousand bottles of vintage port
(c) uncouth new members
(d) the antique furniture
13. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
(a) radiation gets too hot in Rio
(b) they need a change of scenery
(c) radiation has not reached Montevideo
(d) they think some people are alive in Montevideo
14. Why is there a shortage of fuel?
(a) the reserves have all been contaminated
(b) only the military has access to reserves
(c) it all used to come from the Northern hemisphere
(d) the oil pipelines were all blown up
15. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
(a) everyone on Earth will be dead
(b) it will be safe to head north
(c) global warming will cause floods
(d) rabbits and dogs will die first
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the war escalate?
2. What is John Osbourne's estimate of how long they have to live?
3. Why does Osbourne say that perhaps people did not deserve the world?
4. How does Moira's father say he wants to go when the time comes?
5. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)