|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the story take place?
2. Where was Peter stationed when the war started?
(a) at the Naval Base in Melbourne
(b) on board the H.M.A.S. Anzac
(c) at a radar station in Tasmania
(d) on board the U.S.S. Scorpion
3. Why does Moira think going to school is ridiculous?
(a) there are no jobs anymore
(b) she never liked going to school
(c) there will be no time to use what she learns
(d) she is too old to learn
4. How does Moira's father say he wants to go when the time comes?
(a) taking a suicide pill
(b) on the veranda with a drink or in his own bed
(c) shoot himself in the head
(d) out in the meadow with his wife
5. How is it recorded that the people died?
6. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
(a) to check thoroughly for contamination
(b) to lower the outside radiation levels
(c) just as a precaution
(d) an outbreak of measles
7. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) that they have gone underground
(b) that they are all headed south
(c) that the war never happened
(d) that they are all alive
8. With whom do Peter and Dwight meet in Melbourne?
(a) the Supreme Allied Commander
(b) the Prime Minister
(c) the crew of the USS Scorpion
(d) a committee of nervous residents
9. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
(a) seventeen months
(b) a year and a half
(c) seven months
(d) a year
10. What happens that night at Peter's and Mary's house?
(a) Moira and Dwight have a huge argument
(b) Moira gets drunk and has to be put to bed
(c) Dwight gets drunk and has to be put to bed
(d) Dwight and Moira fall in love
11. Who is in command on the USS Scorpion?
(a) Captain John Smith
(b) Admiral John Osbourne
(c) Lieutenant Commander Darrel Towers
(d) Commander Dwight Towers
12. What is the only sign of life at Queensland?
(a) a kangaroo
(b) a dog
(c) a rabbit
(d) a camel
13. What does the Prime Minister say they want from Dwight and his crew?
(a) to have a detailed report ready
(b) to set some new endurance records
(c) to find some life in the north
(d) to return in good health
14. What does Peter instruct Mary how to do if he is not back when the radiation hits?
(a) kill the baby and herself
(b) stay in the house with the doors and windows closed
(c) eat only what they grew in their garden
(d) head south where he will find her
15. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
(a) he walks
(b) he uses roller skates
(c) he rides a pony
(d) he rides a bicycle
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dwight tell Moira he would like to do?
2. In church on Sunday, what does Dwight think about?
3. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
4. Why does Peter not take the car to Melbourne?
5. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)