|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dwight react to the country?
(a) it makes him happy to see the trees again
(b) it makes him sad for America
(c) it makes him wish for the city
(d) it makes him wonder if he can do the work
2. Why is the USS Scorpion able to sail in spite of the fuel shortage?
(a) it makes fuel from sea water
(b) it has large reserve tanks
(c) it is nuclear powered
(d) it runs on coal
3. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
(a) it has a leak in the hull and connot submerge
(b) it got contaminated while not submerged
(c) its fuel reactor is broken
(d) it is carrying a deadly disease
4. Why does Peter not hold out much hope for a naval assignment?
(a) there is not enough fuel to operate ships
(b) there are too many officers ahead of him
(c) there is nothing the ships can do
(d) there are only seven small ships left in the Navy
5. How long did the nuclear war last in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) six months
(b) thirty-seven days
(c) one year
(d) one week
6. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
(a) if he will stay to the end on the farm
(b) if he plans to sink his ship
(c) if he will leave before the radiation arrives
(d) if he plans to move his ship further south
7. What does Mary do to protect the baby from the measles?
(a) feeds the baby quinine
(b) forbids Peter to come home
(c) takes the baby to the Davidsons
(d) puts up a mosquito net
8. Who is in command on the USS Scorpion?
(a) Admiral John Osbourne
(b) Captain John Smith
(c) Lieutenant Commander Darrel Towers
(d) Commander Dwight Towers
9. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
(a) to check thoroughly for contamination
(b) an outbreak of measles
(c) just as a precaution
(d) to lower the outside radiation levels
10. Why does Dwight think forty percent of his crew will not return to the Scorpion?
(a) they want to die on land
(b) they cannot stand being submerged
(c) they are tired of useless trips
(d) they have Australian girlfriends
11. What kind of car does Peter have?
(a) a Morris
(b) a Mini-Cooper
(c) an MG
(d) a Ferrari
12. Where do Lt. Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy, his wife Mary, and baby daughter Jennifer live?
(a) in a flat over a pharmacy
(b) in a bungalow not far from Falmouth, Australia
(c) in a hotel in Melbourne
(d) on the Navy Base at Flamouth
13. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
(a) only a year
(b) more than fifty years
(c) under 20 years
(d) about five years
14. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
(a) to volunteer at a hsopital
(b) to go to Alcoholics anonymous
(c) to get a job or go to trade school
(d) to plan their meeting after the next voyage
15. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
(a) next year
(b) next September
(c) next June or July
(d) next week
Short Answer Questions
1. What weapons were used in the Russian-Chinese war?
2. What does Dwight say is coming in very evenly all around the world?
3. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
4. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
5. What does the Prime Minister say they want from Dwight and his crew?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)