|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
(a) all national loyalties
(b) about 4,700 bombs
(c) diplomatic negotiations
(d) warning leaflets
2. Why does Peter not take the car to Melbourne?
(a) the tires are flat
(b) the car needs some new parts
(c) there is very little gasoline left in the country
(d) the car refuses to start
3. How is it recorded that the people died?
4. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
(a) under 20 years
(b) more than fifty years
(c) about five years
(d) only a year
5. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
(a) stay longer than planned
(b) tell the crew what their mission is
(c) bring anything or anyone contaminated on board the ship
(d) sail above the water
6. Who is in command on the USS Scorpion?
(a) Commander Dwight Towers
(b) Captain John Smith
(c) Admiral John Osbourne
(d) Lieutenant Commander Darrel Towers
7. After the trail cruise, who comes to inspect the USS Scorpion?
(a) former general, Sir Douglas Froude
(b) the Mayor of Melbourne
(c) the Prime Minister
(d) Vice Admiral, Sir David Hartman
8. What does Mary do to protect the baby from the measles?
(a) takes the baby to the Davidsons
(b) puts up a mosquito net
(c) forbids Peter to come home
(d) feeds the baby quinine
9. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
(a) if he will stay to the end on the farm
(b) if he plans to sink his ship
(c) if he plans to move his ship further south
(d) if he will leave before the radiation arrives
10. What is the southernmost major city in the world?
(b) Rio de Jainerio
11. What does Dwight announce for their next voyage?
(a) looking for underwater places to build a city
(b) sailing completely around the world
(c) putting a man ashore in protective clothing
(d) looking for inhabitable places in the Arctic
12. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
(a) a fishing boat
(b) an abandoned ferry
(c) a derelict tanker
(d) a rubber raft
13. Where is the USS Swordfish, another nuclear powered submarine?
(a) in the Persian Gulf
(b) down in the Antarctic
(c) off the coast of France
(d) off the coast of South America
14. When does the story take place?
15. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
(a) sunk a Russian nuclear sub
(b) diffused a nuclear bomb that had not exploded
(c) It pulled into its home port and found no one alive
(d) broken the ice at the South Pole
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Peter instruct Mary how to do if he is not back when the radiation hits?
2. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
3. What happens that night at Peter's and Mary's house?
4. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
5. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)