|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary do to protect the baby from the measles?
(a) forbids Peter to come home
(b) puts up a mosquito net
(c) takes the baby to the Davidsons
(d) feeds the baby quinine
2. What is headed for the Southern hemisphere?
(a) the entire U.S. naval fleet
(b) planes carrying nuclear bombs
(c) guided missiles from the North
(d) radiation fallout
3. What weapons were used in the Russian-Chinese war?
(a) small atomic warheads
(b) hydrogen and cobalt bombs
(c) siberians and mongals
(d) dirty bombs
4. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
(a) if he will leave before the radiation arrives
(b) if he plans to sink his ship
(c) if he will stay to the end on the farm
(d) if he plans to move his ship further south
5. With whom do Peter and Dwight meet in Melbourne?
(a) the Supreme Allied Commander
(b) a committee of nervous residents
(c) the crew of the USS Scorpion
(d) the Prime Minister
6. Where does Peter have an appointment?
(a) with the Mayor of Melbourne
(b) at the Naval Hospital
(c) at the Navy Department in Melbourne
(d) on the USS Scorpion
7. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
(a) no one believes the end will come
(b) she's not brave enough to do that
(c) keeping busy helps everyone prepare
(d) that's the way Australians are
8. What social gathering have Peter and Mary just hosted as the story opens?
(a) a barbecue
(b) a sock hop
(c) a family reunion
(d) a formal dinner
9. What happens that night at Peter's and Mary's house?
(a) Dwight gets drunk and has to be put to bed
(b) Dwight and Moira fall in love
(c) Moira and Dwight have a huge argument
(d) Moira gets drunk and has to be put to bed
10. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
(a) next June or July
(b) next September
(c) next week
(d) next year
11. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
(a) as medical officer to care for injured
(b) as science officer to test the levels of radiation
(c) as communications officer to translate Australian speech
(d) as morale officer to entertain the sailors
12. Why does Mr. Davidson think people are not migrating south ahead of the radiation?
(a) not enough publicity had time to get to everyone
(b) they think the radiation will weaken quickly
(c) they do not really believe it is going to happen to them
(d) they have no idea where to go
13. What has Peter rigged up to carry the baby or groceries?
(a) a canvas backpack
(b) a two-wheel carriage for the back of his bicycle
(c) a four-wheel buggy
(d) a little red wagon
14. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
(a) seven months
(b) a year
(c) seventeen months
(d) a year and a half
15. Why does Peter not hold out much hope for a naval assignment?
(a) there is not enough fuel to operate ships
(b) there is nothing the ships can do
(c) there are only seven small ships left in the Navy
(d) there are too many officers ahead of him
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Moira and Dwight get to know each other better?
2. Where do Lt. Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy, his wife Mary, and baby daughter Jennifer live?
3. Why was the war limited to the Northern hemisphere?
4. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
5. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)