|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Peter say the next trip of the Scorpion will probably take?
(a) about two months
(b) about six weeks
(c) about six months
(d) about one year
2. What social gathering have Peter and Mary just hosted as the story opens?
(a) a formal dinner
(b) a sock hop
(c) a family reunion
(d) a barbecue
3. Where was Peter stationed when the war started?
(a) on board the H.M.A.S. Anzac
(b) at a radar station in Tasmania
(c) at the Naval Base in Melbourne
(d) on board the U.S.S. Scorpion
4. Why does Peter not take the car to Melbourne?
(a) the car refuses to start
(b) the tires are flat
(c) the car needs some new parts
(d) there is very little gasoline left in the country
5. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
(a) Moira and Dwight
(b) the Prime Minister
(c) Sir Douglas Froude, John's great uncle, a retired Lieutenant General
(d) the Vice Admiral of the Australian Navy
6. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
(a) warning leaflets
(b) all national loyalties
(c) diplomatic negotiations
(d) about 4,700 bombs
7. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
(a) he rides a pony
(b) he rides a bicycle
(c) he uses roller skates
(d) he walks
8. How long does the USS Swordfish report being submerged that might be a record?
(a) forty days
(b) three weeks
(c) thirty-two days
(d) six months
9. What sober reflection to the men on the Scorpion have about Cairns, Moresby or Darwin?
(a) they will be the last humans to ever see them
(b) the cities will fall into the sea
(c) they will return to collect the dead
(d) only dogs and wild animals will live there
10. What does Dwight announce for their next voyage?
(a) putting a man ashore in protective clothing
(b) looking for underwater places to build a city
(c) looking for inhabitable places in the Arctic
(d) sailing completely around the world
11. Why does Moira think going to school is ridiculous?
(a) there are no jobs anymore
(b) there will be no time to use what she learns
(c) she never liked going to school
(d) she is too old to learn
12. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
(a) to massage his back
(b) to polish his shoes
(c) to mend his laundry
(d) to cook fried checken
13. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
(a) It pulled into its home port and found no one alive
(b) diffused a nuclear bomb that had not exploded
(c) sunk a Russian nuclear sub
(d) broken the ice at the South Pole
14. What does Dwight tell Moira about a submarine scouting trip up the east coast of America?
(a) the ship never returned
(b) the submarine hit a mine and was destroyed
(c) the radiation levels are coming down
(d) there is nothing left alive
15. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
(a) if he will stay to the end on the farm
(b) if he plans to move his ship further south
(c) if he plans to sink his ship
(d) if he will leave before the radiation arrives
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
2. What does Osbourne say about the world?
3. What are the people of Melbourne doing to cope with the reality of pending death?
4. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
5. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)