|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is in command on the USS Scorpion?
(a) Admiral John Osbourne
(b) Commander Dwight Towers
(c) Lieutenant Commander Darrel Towers
(d) Captain John Smith
2. What have Peter and Mary learned to do because of the shortages?
(a) raise chickens for eggs
(b) weave cloth
(c) make their own butter
(d) knit socks
3. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
(a) he uses roller skates
(b) he rides a pony
(c) he rides a bicycle
(d) he walks
4. What are the people of Melbourne doing to cope with the reality of pending death?
(a) having boisterous, uninhibited and lighthearted parties
(b) having large family reunions
(c) attending church services
(d) pretending the threat does not exist
5. Why does Peter not hold out much hope for a naval assignment?
(a) there are too many officers ahead of him
(b) there is nothing the ships can do
(c) there are only seven small ships left in the Navy
(d) there is not enough fuel to operate ships
6. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
(a) they think some people are alive in Montevideo
(b) they need a change of scenery
(c) radiation has not reached Montevideo
(d) radiation gets too hot in Rio
7. What does the Prime Minister say they want from Dwight and his crew?
(a) to set some new endurance records
(b) to find some life in the north
(c) to return in good health
(d) to have a detailed report ready
8. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
(a) as science officer to test the levels of radiation
(b) as medical officer to care for injured
(c) as morale officer to entertain the sailors
(d) as communications officer to translate Australian speech
9. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
(a) to cook fried checken
(b) to mend his laundry
(c) to polish his shoes
(d) to massage his back
10. How does Moira's father say he wants to go when the time comes?
(a) on the veranda with a drink or in his own bed
(b) out in the meadow with his wife
(c) shoot himself in the head
(d) taking a suicide pill
11. What does Osbourne say about the world?
(a) it will become a vast desert planet like Mars
(b) it will collapse from carbon pollutions
(c) it will go on, there just won't be people
(d) it will disintegrate slowly
12. Why is there a shortage of fuel?
(a) the oil pipelines were all blown up
(b) the reserves have all been contaminated
(c) it all used to come from the Northern hemisphere
(d) only the military has access to reserves
13. How do Moira and Dwight get to know each other better?
(a) swimming in the ocean
(b) sleeping in the same bed
(c) taking long, silent walks
(d) going over their personal histories
14. After the trail cruise, who comes to inspect the USS Scorpion?
(a) Vice Admiral, Sir David Hartman
(b) the Prime Minister
(c) former general, Sir Douglas Froude
(d) the Mayor of Melbourne
15. Why does it not take long to bring Osbourne on board the submarine?
(a) he is in a hurry to get started
(b) he is passed out drunk and carried onto the ship
(c) most of his equipment is portable
(d) he will use the ship's equipment
Short Answer Questions
1. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
2. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
3. What assignment does Peter receive?
4. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
5. Why are they forbidden to go to Townsville?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)