Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Osbourne say about the world?
(a) it will collapse from carbon pollutions
(b) it will become a vast desert planet like Mars
(c) it will disintegrate slowly
(d) it will go on, there just won't be people
2. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
(a) about five years
(b) only a year
(c) under 20 years
(d) more than fifty years
3. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
(a) to get a job or go to trade school
(b) to volunteer at a hsopital
(c) to go to Alcoholics anonymous
(d) to plan their meeting after the next voyage
4. Why does Dwight think forty percent of his crew will not return to the Scorpion?
(a) they are tired of useless trips
(b) they want to die on land
(c) they cannot stand being submerged
(d) they have Australian girlfriends
5. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
(a) the Prime Minister
(b) the Vice Admiral of the Australian Navy
(c) Moira and Dwight
(d) Sir Douglas Froude, John's great uncle, a retired Lieutenant General
6. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
(a) writing a book
(b) retiring from the Navy
(c) opening a shop
(d) getting a sailboat
7. Why does Moira think going to school is ridiculous?
(a) there will be no time to use what she learns
(b) she never liked going to school
(c) there are no jobs anymore
(d) she is too old to learn
8. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
(a) if he will leave before the radiation arrives
(b) if he will stay to the end on the farm
(c) if he plans to sink his ship
(d) if he plans to move his ship further south
9. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
(a) to mend his laundry
(b) to massage his back
(c) to cook fried checken
(d) to polish his shoes
10. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
(a) the antique furniture
(b) over three thousand bottles of vintage port
(c) the girlie floorshow
(d) uncouth new members
11. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
(a) radiation has not reached Montevideo
(b) radiation gets too hot in Rio
(c) they think some people are alive in Montevideo
(d) they need a change of scenery
12. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
(a) diffused a nuclear bomb that had not exploded
(b) broken the ice at the South Pole
(c) sunk a Russian nuclear sub
(d) It pulled into its home port and found no one alive
13. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
(a) tell the crew what their mission is
(b) stay longer than planned
(c) sail above the water
(d) bring anything or anyone contaminated on board the ship
14. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
(a) a derelict tanker
(b) a rubber raft
(c) a fishing boat
(d) an abandoned ferry
15. What does Moira do in Melbourne?
(a) vows to give up drinking
(b) meets Dwight at a hotel
(c) tours the USS Scorpion
(d) rents an apartment
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
2. What weapons were used in the Russian-Chinese war?
3. What are Peter and Mary doing while Dwight and Moira attend church?
4. In Australia, what do they figure will go a little before Sydney?
5. How long does the USS Swordfish report being submerged that might be a record?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)