|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
(a) as communications officer to translate Australian speech
(b) as morale officer to entertain the sailors
(c) as science officer to test the levels of radiation
(d) as medical officer to care for injured
2. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
(a) the day it started
(b) just a week before it started
(c) one month before it broke out
(d) as early as a year ago
3. What assignment does Peter receive?
(a) paymaster for the Royal Australian Navy
(b) communications officer on the USS Swordfish
(c) liaison officer on the USS Scorpion
(d) commander of the H.M.A.S Melbourne
4. Where do Lt. Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy, his wife Mary, and baby daughter Jennifer live?
(a) on the Navy Base at Flamouth
(b) in a flat over a pharmacy
(c) in a hotel in Melbourne
(d) in a bungalow not far from Falmouth, Australia
5. What plants does Mary want around the house?
(a) ones that they can eat
(b) ones that will come up fast
(c) ones that take years to mature
(d) ones that will survive not being wateres
6. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
(a) it has a leak in the hull and connot submerge
(b) it got contaminated while not submerged
(c) its fuel reactor is broken
(d) it is carrying a deadly disease
7. What kind of car does Peter have?
(a) a Morris
(b) a Ferrari
(c) a Mini-Cooper
(d) an MG
8. Why was the war limited to the Northern hemisphere?
(a) nothing south of the equator was considered important
(b) the southern hemisphere was not a threat to the north
(c) it happened too fast to move south
(d) that was planned for much later
9. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
(a) next September
(b) next June or July
(c) next year
(d) next week
10. What happens that night at Peter's and Mary's house?
(a) Dwight and Moira fall in love
(b) Moira and Dwight have a huge argument
(c) Dwight gets drunk and has to be put to bed
(d) Moira gets drunk and has to be put to bed
11. What does Dwight announce for their next voyage?
(a) putting a man ashore in protective clothing
(b) sailing completely around the world
(c) looking for underwater places to build a city
(d) looking for inhabitable places in the Arctic
12. Why is there a shortage of fuel?
(a) only the military has access to reserves
(b) the reserves have all been contaminated
(c) it all used to come from the Northern hemisphere
(d) the oil pipelines were all blown up
13. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
(a) radiation has not reached Montevideo
(b) radiation gets too hot in Rio
(c) they need a change of scenery
(d) they think some people are alive in Montevideo
14. What does the Prime Minister say they want from Dwight and his crew?
(a) to find some life in the north
(b) to have a detailed report ready
(c) to set some new endurance records
(d) to return in good health
15. What are some people putting on top of Mount Kosciusko?
(a) a monument
(b) family photographs
(c) a white flag
(d) a time capsule
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Peter have an appointment?
2. What does Mary do to protect the baby from the measles?
3. Why are they forbidden to go to Townsville?
4. In church on Sunday, what does Dwight think about?
5. Why does Moira think going to school is ridiculous?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)