|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In church on Sunday, what does Dwight think about?
(a) Moira Davidson
(b) how lonely he is
(c) his family in the United States
(d) what his assignment will be
2. Where does Peter have an appointment?
(a) at the Navy Department in Melbourne
(b) on the USS Scorpion
(c) at the Naval Hospital
(d) with the Mayor of Melbourne
3. What sober reflection to the men on the Scorpion have about Cairns, Moresby or Darwin?
(a) they will be the last humans to ever see them
(b) the cities will fall into the sea
(c) they will return to collect the dead
(d) only dogs and wild animals will live there
4. How do Moira and Dwight get to know each other better?
(a) swimming in the ocean
(b) going over their personal histories
(c) sleeping in the same bed
(d) taking long, silent walks
5. What does Mary do to protect the baby from the measles?
(a) forbids Peter to come home
(b) takes the baby to the Davidsons
(c) puts up a mosquito net
(d) feeds the baby quinine
6. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
(a) it has a leak in the hull and connot submerge
(b) it got contaminated while not submerged
(c) its fuel reactor is broken
(d) it is carrying a deadly disease
7. Where is the USS Swordfish, another nuclear powered submarine?
(a) off the coast of South America
(b) off the coast of France
(c) in the Persian Gulf
(d) down in the Antarctic
8. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
(a) Moira and Dwight
(b) the Prime Minister
(c) Sir Douglas Froude, John's great uncle, a retired Lieutenant General
(d) the Vice Admiral of the Australian Navy
9. How does Dwight react to the country?
(a) it makes him sad for America
(b) it makes him happy to see the trees again
(c) it makes him wonder if he can do the work
(d) it makes him wish for the city
10. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
(a) Mary Paul
(b) Moira Davidson
(c) Jennifer Holmes
(d) Caroline Moresby
11. What does Peter do as the sub returns to Melbourne?
(a) resigns his commission
(b) invites Dwight back to his home
(c) goes to by presents for Mary and Jennifer
(d) calls Moira to let her know Dwight is back
12. What do they figure will go before Melbourne?
(a) the Maldives
(b) Africa and South America
13. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
(a) one month before it broke out
(b) the day it started
(c) just a week before it started
(d) as early as a year ago
14. What does Dwight announce for their next voyage?
(a) sailing completely around the world
(b) looking for underwater places to build a city
(c) putting a man ashore in protective clothing
(d) looking for inhabitable places in the Arctic
15. Why is the USS Scorpion able to sail in spite of the fuel shortage?
(a) it makes fuel from sea water
(b) it is nuclear powered
(c) it has large reserve tanks
(d) it runs on coal
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the final conclusion about who started the war?
2. What has Peter rigged up to carry the baby or groceries?
3. What happens that night at Peter's and Mary's house?
4. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
5. What plants does Mary want around the house?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)