|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Australia, what do they figure will go a little before Sydney?
(c) Cape Town
2. Why does Mr. Davidson think people are not migrating south ahead of the radiation?
(a) they do not really believe it is going to happen to them
(b) they think the radiation will weaken quickly
(c) they have no idea where to go
(d) not enough publicity had time to get to everyone
3. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
(a) to plan their meeting after the next voyage
(b) to volunteer at a hsopital
(c) to get a job or go to trade school
(d) to go to Alcoholics anonymous
4. Where is the USS Swordfish, another nuclear powered submarine?
(a) off the coast of France
(b) in the Persian Gulf
(c) down in the Antarctic
(d) off the coast of South America
5. What does Dwight tell Moira he would like to do?
(a) to help her father with some of the farm chores
(b) to marry her before it's too late
(c) to build her a house in the country
(d) to take her out in the submarine
6. Why does Osbourne say that perhaps people did not deserve the world?
(a) we have been too silly
(b) the animals have more sense
(c) we deserve something better
(d) the world has too much to offer
7. Where was Peter stationed when the war started?
(a) at a radar station in Tasmania
(b) on board the U.S.S. Scorpion
(c) on board the H.M.A.S. Anzac
(d) at the Naval Base in Melbourne
8. What does the Prime Minister say they want from Dwight and his crew?
(a) to return in good health
(b) to set some new endurance records
(c) to find some life in the north
(d) to have a detailed report ready
9. Why is there a shortage of fuel?
(a) only the military has access to reserves
(b) it all used to come from the Northern hemisphere
(c) the oil pipelines were all blown up
(d) the reserves have all been contaminated
10. Why does Peter ride his bicycle to Mr. Paul's farm?
(a) to sell eggs
(b) to buy lettuce and tomatoes
(c) to ask for a job
(d) to get milk and cream
11. Why does Peter not take the car to Melbourne?
(a) the car needs some new parts
(b) the tires are flat
(c) the car refuses to start
(d) there is very little gasoline left in the country
12. Why does it not take long to bring Osbourne on board the submarine?
(a) he is passed out drunk and carried onto the ship
(b) most of his equipment is portable
(c) he is in a hurry to get started
(d) he will use the ship's equipment
13. Where does Peter have an appointment?
(a) with the Mayor of Melbourne
(b) at the Navy Department in Melbourne
(c) on the USS Scorpion
(d) at the Naval Hospital
14. Why does Moira think going to school is ridiculous?
(a) she never liked going to school
(b) she is too old to learn
(c) there will be no time to use what she learns
(d) there are no jobs anymore
15. What does Moira do in Melbourne?
(a) vows to give up drinking
(b) rents an apartment
(c) tours the USS Scorpion
(d) meets Dwight at a hotel
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Osbourne say about the world?
2. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
3. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
4. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
5. How long did the nuclear war last in the Northern hemisphere?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)