Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
(a) Moira Davidson
(b) Jennifer Holmes
(c) Caroline Moresby
(d) Mary Paul
2. Why is the USS Scorpion able to sail in spite of the fuel shortage?
(a) it has large reserve tanks
(b) it makes fuel from sea water
(c) it is nuclear powered
(d) it runs on coal
3. Why was the war limited to the Northern hemisphere?
(a) that was planned for much later
(b) it happened too fast to move south
(c) nothing south of the equator was considered important
(d) the southern hemisphere was not a threat to the north
4. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
(a) radiation has not reached Montevideo
(b) radiation gets too hot in Rio
(c) they think some people are alive in Montevideo
(d) they need a change of scenery
5. Why does Peter not hold out much hope for a naval assignment?
(a) there is nothing the ships can do
(b) there is not enough fuel to operate ships
(c) there are too many officers ahead of him
(d) there are only seven small ships left in the Navy
6. What does Dwight announce for their next voyage?
(a) looking for underwater places to build a city
(b) putting a man ashore in protective clothing
(c) sailing completely around the world
(d) looking for inhabitable places in the Arctic
7. What does Moira call the submarine trips into the Northern hemisphere?
(a) looking for ships that never come in
(b) looking for needles in a haystack
(c) looking for busy work
(d) looking at dead people through a periscope
8. What has Peter rigged up to carry the baby or groceries?
(a) a little red wagon
(b) a four-wheel buggy
(c) a two-wheel carriage for the back of his bicycle
(d) a canvas backpack
9. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
(a) to polish his shoes
(b) to mend his laundry
(c) to cook fried checken
(d) to massage his back
10. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
(a) news media reports a pending nuclear war
(b) nuclear destruction of the Northern hemisphere
(c) the people of Melbourne, Australia, hold car races
(d) the USS Scorpion is lost at sea
11. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
(a) if he plans to move his ship further south
(b) if he plans to sink his ship
(c) if he will leave before the radiation arrives
(d) if he will stay to the end on the farm
12. After the trail cruise, who comes to inspect the USS Scorpion?
(a) the Mayor of Melbourne
(b) the Prime Minister
(c) Vice Admiral, Sir David Hartman
(d) former general, Sir Douglas Froude
13. When does the story take place?
14. What is the southernmost major city in the world?
(b) Rio de Jainerio
15. What is John Osbourne's estimate of how long they have to live?
(a) about a year
(b) about three months
(c) about six months
(d) about a decade
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
2. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
3. Where was Peter stationed when the war started?
4. What does Peter instruct Mary how to do if he is not back when the radiation hits?
5. Where is the USS Swordfish, another nuclear powered submarine?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)