|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moira tell Dwight her occupation is?
(a) drinking alcohol
2. What is John's uncle doing that he had given up for health reasons?
(a) eating cakes
(b) drinking port
(c) racing cars
(d) smoking cigars
3. Although radiation has reached Townsville, northern Australia, what is the situation?
(a) medical teams are treating the sick
(b) the winds have shifted back to the north
(c) there are still people alive there
(d) the cases are all light and survivable
4. What is John Osbourne's estimate of how long they have to live?
(a) about a year
(b) about six months
(c) about three months
(d) about a decade
5. Who knows about the destination for the upcoming trip of the USS Scorpion according to Dwight?
(a) everyone except him
(b) only John Osbourne who carries sealed orders
(c) only Peter, John, and him
(d) only Peter and him who have told Mary and Moira
6. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
(a) to mend his laundry
(b) to cook fried checken
(c) to massage his back
(d) to polish his shoes
7. What is Mary's chief concern at this point?
(a) keeping the family together
(b) writing letters to family and friends
(c) the safety of the baby
(d) being prepared for company
8. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
(a) the Vice Admiral of the Australian Navy
(b) the Prime Minister
(c) Sir Douglas Froude, John's great uncle, a retired Lieutenant General
(d) Moira and Dwight
9. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
(a) the day it started
(b) as early as a year ago
(c) one month before it broke out
(d) just a week before it started
10. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
(a) to get a job or go to trade school
(b) to volunteer at a hsopital
(c) to plan their meeting after the next voyage
(d) to go to Alcoholics anonymous
11. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
(a) seven months
(b) seventeen months
(c) a year
(d) a year and a half
12. What plants does Mary want around the house?
(a) ones that they can eat
(b) ones that take years to mature
(c) ones that will come up fast
(d) ones that will survive not being wateres
13. What are some people putting on top of Mount Kosciusko?
(a) a white flag
(b) a monument
(c) a time capsule
(d) family photographs
14. What weapons were used in the Russian-Chinese war?
(a) small atomic warheads
(b) siberians and mongals
(c) hydrogen and cobalt bombs
(d) dirty bombs
15. Where is the USS Swordfish, another nuclear powered submarine?
(a) off the coast of France
(b) down in the Antarctic
(c) in the Persian Gulf
(d) off the coast of South America
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
2. In Australia, what do they figure will go a little before Sydney?
3. What does Moira do in Melbourne?
4. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
5. How long did the nuclear war last in the Northern hemisphere?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)