|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Peter ride his bicycle to Mr. Paul's farm?
(a) to get milk and cream
(b) to buy lettuce and tomatoes
(c) to sell eggs
(d) to ask for a job
2. Why does Peter not hold out much hope for a naval assignment?
(a) there is not enough fuel to operate ships
(b) there are only seven small ships left in the Navy
(c) there are too many officers ahead of him
(d) there is nothing the ships can do
3. Why does it not take long to bring Osbourne on board the submarine?
(a) he will use the ship's equipment
(b) he is passed out drunk and carried onto the ship
(c) he is in a hurry to get started
(d) most of his equipment is portable
4. What does Dwight tell Moira about a submarine scouting trip up the east coast of America?
(a) the radiation levels are coming down
(b) the submarine hit a mine and was destroyed
(c) there is nothing left alive
(d) the ship never returned
5. What are Peter and Mary doing while Dwight and Moira attend church?
(a) sailing a boat
(b) planning a garden
(c) digging a cellar
(d) going for a swim
6. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
(a) as morale officer to entertain the sailors
(b) as science officer to test the levels of radiation
(c) as communications officer to translate Australian speech
(d) as medical officer to care for injured
7. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) that they are all alive
(b) that they have gone underground
(c) that the war never happened
(d) that they are all headed south
8. What are some people putting on top of Mount Kosciusko?
(a) a white flag
(b) a time capsule
(c) family photographs
(d) a monument
9. What does Moira do in Melbourne?
(a) rents an apartment
(b) meets Dwight at a hotel
(c) tours the USS Scorpion
(d) vows to give up drinking
10. What does Moira call the submarine trips into the Northern hemisphere?
(a) looking for ships that never come in
(b) looking for needles in a haystack
(c) looking for busy work
(d) looking at dead people through a periscope
11. What does Moira tell Dwight her occupation is?
(b) drinking alcohol
12. What weapons were used in the Russian-Chinese war?
(a) small atomic warheads
(b) siberians and mongals
(c) hydrogen and cobalt bombs
(d) dirty bombs
13. What does Osbourne say about the world?
(a) it will become a vast desert planet like Mars
(b) it will disintegrate slowly
(c) it will go on, there just won't be people
(d) it will collapse from carbon pollutions
14. When does the story take place?
15. Where do Lt. Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy, his wife Mary, and baby daughter Jennifer live?
(a) in a hotel in Melbourne
(b) on the Navy Base at Flamouth
(c) in a flat over a pharmacy
(d) in a bungalow not far from Falmouth, Australia
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
2. What have Peter and Mary learned to do because of the shortages?
3. Why does Moira think going to school is ridiculous?
4. What do they figure will go before Melbourne?
5. What social gathering have Peter and Mary just hosted as the story opens?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)