|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the southernmost major city in the world?
(b) Rio de Jainerio
2. What does Moira tell Dwight her occupation is?
(c) drinking alcohol
3. What does the Prime Minister say they want from Dwight and his crew?
(a) to find some life in the north
(b) to set some new endurance records
(c) to return in good health
(d) to have a detailed report ready
4. What does Osbourne say about the world?
(a) it will collapse from carbon pollutions
(b) it will disintegrate slowly
(c) it will go on, there just won't be people
(d) it will become a vast desert planet like Mars
5. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) that they have gone underground
(b) that the war never happened
(c) that they are all alive
(d) that they are all headed south
6. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
(a) seventeen months
(b) a year and a half
(c) a year
(d) seven months
7. How long does the USS Swordfish report being submerged that might be a record?
(a) forty days
(b) six months
(c) thirty-two days
(d) three weeks
8. How do Moira and Dwight get to know each other better?
(a) going over their personal histories
(b) swimming in the ocean
(c) sleeping in the same bed
(d) taking long, silent walks
9. What assignment does Peter receive?
(a) communications officer on the USS Swordfish
(b) liaison officer on the USS Scorpion
(c) commander of the H.M.A.S Melbourne
(d) paymaster for the Royal Australian Navy
10. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
(a) just a week before it started
(b) the day it started
(c) one month before it broke out
(d) as early as a year ago
11. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
(a) tell the crew what their mission is
(b) stay longer than planned
(c) bring anything or anyone contaminated on board the ship
(d) sail above the water
12. What does Moira do in Melbourne?
(a) tours the USS Scorpion
(b) rents an apartment
(c) meets Dwight at a hotel
(d) vows to give up drinking
13. What is headed for the Southern hemisphere?
(a) planes carrying nuclear bombs
(b) guided missiles from the North
(c) the entire U.S. naval fleet
(d) radiation fallout
14. Why does Osbourne say that perhaps people did not deserve the world?
(a) we deserve something better
(b) we have been too silly
(c) the animals have more sense
(d) the world has too much to offer
15. What does Dwight tell Moira he would like to do?
(a) to build her a house in the country
(b) to take her out in the submarine
(c) to help her father with some of the farm chores
(d) to marry her before it's too late
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the USS Scorpion able to sail in spite of the fuel shortage?
2. What is John Osbourne's estimate of how long they have to live?
3. How is it recorded that the people died?
4. What is Peter hoping for?
5. Why does Peter not take the car to Melbourne?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)