|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
(a) Jennifer Holmes
(b) Mary Paul
(c) Caroline Moresby
(d) Moira Davidson
2. What is at the Pastoral Club that Sir Froude wants to help eliminate?
(a) over three thousand bottles of vintage port
(b) the girlie floorshow
(c) uncouth new members
(d) the antique furniture
3. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
(a) to check thoroughly for contamination
(b) just as a precaution
(c) to lower the outside radiation levels
(d) an outbreak of measles
4. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
(a) he walks
(b) he rides a bicycle
(c) he uses roller skates
(d) he rides a pony
5. Who knows about the destination for the upcoming trip of the USS Scorpion according to Dwight?
(a) only John Osbourne who carries sealed orders
(b) only Peter and him who have told Mary and Moira
(c) only Peter, John, and him
(d) everyone except him
6. Why does Peter ride his bicycle to Mr. Paul's farm?
(a) to sell eggs
(b) to ask for a job
(c) to get milk and cream
(d) to buy lettuce and tomatoes
7. How long does the USS Swordfish report being submerged that might be a record?
(a) three weeks
(b) forty days
(c) six months
(d) thirty-two days
8. For how long did the Russians and Chinese figure nuclear bombs would render land uninhabitable?
(a) only a year
(b) about five years
(c) under 20 years
(d) more than fifty years
9. What does Osbourne say about the world?
(a) it will become a vast desert planet like Mars
(b) it will collapse from carbon pollutions
(c) it will disintegrate slowly
(d) it will go on, there just won't be people
10. How long as it been since Peter had an assignment?
(a) seven months
(b) a year
(c) seventeen months
(d) a year and a half
11. What does Peter do as the sub returns to Melbourne?
(a) calls Moira to let her know Dwight is back
(b) goes to by presents for Mary and Jennifer
(c) invites Dwight back to his home
(d) resigns his commission
12. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
(a) global warming will cause floods
(b) rabbits and dogs will die first
(c) it will be safe to head north
(d) everyone on Earth will be dead
13. How is it recorded that the people died?
14. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) that they are all headed south
(b) that they are all alive
(c) that they have gone underground
(d) that the war never happened
15. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
(a) a fishing boat
(b) a rubber raft
(c) an abandoned ferry
(d) a derelict tanker
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dwight announce for their next voyage?
2. Why does Mr. Davidson think people are not migrating south ahead of the radiation?
3. What is Peter hoping for?
4. What are some people putting on top of Mount Kosciusko?
5. What happens that night at Peter's and Mary's house?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)