|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
(a) Christ Church, New Zealand
(b) Wellington, New Zealand
(c) Falmouth, Australia
(d) Sydney, Australia
2. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
(a) it got contaminated while not submerged
(b) it has a leak in the hull and connot submerge
(c) its fuel reactor is broken
(d) it is carrying a deadly disease
3. Why does it not take long to bring Osbourne on board the submarine?
(a) most of his equipment is portable
(b) he is passed out drunk and carried onto the ship
(c) he will use the ship's equipment
(d) he is in a hurry to get started
4. Why does the USS Swordfish leave Rio for Montevideo?
(a) radiation gets too hot in Rio
(b) radiation has not reached Montevideo
(c) they think some people are alive in Montevideo
(d) they need a change of scenery
5. What is the only sign of life at Queensland?
(a) a rabbit
(b) a dog
(c) a kangaroo
(d) a camel
6. What does the USS Scorpion find when it emerges near Queensland?
(a) an abandoned ferry
(b) a derelict tanker
(c) a rubber raft
(d) a fishing boat
7. What does Moira call the submarine trips into the Northern hemisphere?
(a) looking at dead people through a periscope
(b) looking for needles in a haystack
(c) looking for ships that never come in
(d) looking for busy work
8. Although radiation has reached Townsville, northern Australia, what is the situation?
(a) the cases are all light and survivable
(b) medical teams are treating the sick
(c) the winds have shifted back to the north
(d) there are still people alive there
9. When is the radiation expected to reach Australia?
(a) next week
(b) next June or July
(c) next year
(d) next September
10. Why are they quarantined on the Scorpion for a few days?
(a) just as a precaution
(b) to lower the outside radiation levels
(c) to check thoroughly for contamination
(d) an outbreak of measles
11. Who do Peter and John meet at the Pastoral Club in Melbourne?
(a) the Prime Minister
(b) Moira and Dwight
(c) Sir Douglas Froude, John's great uncle, a retired Lieutenant General
(d) the Vice Admiral of the Australian Navy
12. How long does Peter say the next trip of the Scorpion will probably take?
(a) about six weeks
(b) about six months
(c) about two months
(d) about one year
13. Who do Peter and Mary invite to their house to keep Dwight entertained?
(a) Moira Davidson
(b) Mary Paul
(c) Jennifer Holmes
(d) Caroline Moresby
14. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
(a) to plan their meeting after the next voyage
(b) to volunteer at a hsopital
(c) to get a job or go to trade school
(d) to go to Alcoholics anonymous
15. What does Dwight tell Moira about a submarine scouting trip up the east coast of America?
(a) the submarine hit a mine and was destroyed
(b) the ship never returned
(c) there is nothing left alive
(d) the radiation levels are coming down
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the war escalate?
2. Why was the war limited to the Northern hemisphere?
3. What social gathering have Peter and Mary just hosted as the story opens?
4. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
5. What has Peter rigged up to carry the baby or groceries?
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)