|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plants does Mary want around the house?
(a) ones that take years to mature
(b) ones that will survive not being wateres
(c) ones that they can eat
(d) ones that will come up fast
2. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
(a) the people of Melbourne, Australia, hold car races
(b) nuclear destruction of the Northern hemisphere
(c) the USS Scorpion is lost at sea
(d) news media reports a pending nuclear war
3. What is the only sign of life at Queensland?
(a) a kangaroo
(b) a camel
(c) a rabbit
(d) a dog
4. How is it recorded that the people died?
5. In Australia, what do they figure will go a little before Sydney?
(a) Cape Town
6. What does Moira say about the way people are going on with their lives?
(a) keeping busy helps everyone prepare
(b) that's the way Australians are
(c) she's not brave enough to do that
(d) no one believes the end will come
7. How long does Peter say the next trip of the Scorpion will probably take?
(a) about six weeks
(b) about six months
(c) about one year
(d) about two months
8. What does John Osbourne calculate were dropped during the war?
(a) all national loyalties
(b) about 4,700 bombs
(c) warning leaflets
(d) diplomatic negotiations
9. How does Peter get to town and to the local farmer for milk?
(a) he rides a pony
(b) he uses roller skates
(c) he walks
(d) he rides a bicycle
10. What does Dwight encourage Moira to do?
(a) to get a job or go to trade school
(b) to plan their meeting after the next voyage
(c) to volunteer at a hsopital
(d) to go to Alcoholics anonymous
11. Where do Lt. Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy, his wife Mary, and baby daughter Jennifer live?
(a) in a bungalow not far from Falmouth, Australia
(b) on the Navy Base at Flamouth
(c) in a hotel in Melbourne
(d) in a flat over a pharmacy
12. What kind of car does Peter have?
(a) an MG
(b) a Ferrari
(c) a Mini-Cooper
(d) a Morris
13. Although radiation has reached Townsville, northern Australia, what is the situation?
(a) the cases are all light and survivable
(b) there are still people alive there
(c) medical teams are treating the sick
(d) the winds have shifted back to the north
14. What will happen when the radiation covers the Southern hemisphere?
(a) global warming will cause floods
(b) everyone on Earth will be dead
(c) rabbits and dogs will die first
(d) it will be safe to head north
15. Where was Peter stationed when the war started?
(a) at the Naval Base in Melbourne
(b) on board the H.M.A.S. Anzac
(c) on board the U.S.S. Scorpion
(d) at a radar station in Tasmania
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
2. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
3. What does Moira call the submarine trips into the Northern hemisphere?
4. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
5. What is John Osbourne's estimate of how long they have to live?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)