|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moira offer to do for Dwight?
(a) to mend his laundry
(b) to polish his shoes
(c) to cook fried checken
(d) to massage his back
2. Why does Moira think going to school is ridiculous?
(a) she is too old to learn
(b) there are no jobs anymore
(c) there will be no time to use what she learns
(d) she never liked going to school
3. How does Moira's father say he wants to go when the time comes?
(a) taking a suicide pill
(b) on the veranda with a drink or in his own bed
(c) out in the meadow with his wife
(d) shoot himself in the head
4. What sober reflection to the men on the Scorpion have about Cairns, Moresby or Darwin?
(a) they will return to collect the dead
(b) the cities will fall into the sea
(c) they will be the last humans to ever see them
(d) only dogs and wild animals will live there
5. What is the only sign of life at Queensland?
(a) a dog
(b) a kangaroo
(c) a camel
(d) a rabbit
6. How does Dwight react to the country?
(a) it makes him happy to see the trees again
(b) it makes him wonder if he can do the work
(c) it makes him wish for the city
(d) it makes him sad for America
7. Why does Mr. Davidson think people are not migrating south ahead of the radiation?
(a) they think the radiation will weaken quickly
(b) they do not really believe it is going to happen to them
(c) not enough publicity had time to get to everyone
(d) they have no idea where to go
8. What had the Swordfish done that everyone was talking about?
(a) sunk a Russian nuclear sub
(b) diffused a nuclear bomb that had not exploded
(c) It pulled into its home port and found no one alive
(d) broken the ice at the South Pole
9. How long does the USS Swordfish report being submerged that might be a record?
(a) forty days
(b) three weeks
(c) thirty-two days
(d) six months
10. Why does the USS Swordfish not come to Australia?
(a) it has a leak in the hull and connot submerge
(b) it got contaminated while not submerged
(c) its fuel reactor is broken
(d) it is carrying a deadly disease
11. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
(a) stay longer than planned
(b) tell the crew what their mission is
(c) bring anything or anyone contaminated on board the ship
(d) sail above the water
12. Where is the USS Swordfish, another nuclear powered submarine?
(a) off the coast of France
(b) in the Persian Gulf
(c) off the coast of South America
(d) down in the Antarctic
13. What weapons were used in the Russian-Chinese war?
(a) siberians and mongals
(b) small atomic warheads
(c) hydrogen and cobalt bombs
(d) dirty bombs
14. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
(a) opening a shop
(b) retiring from the Navy
(c) writing a book
(d) getting a sailboat
15. After the war, where was a conference held to assess the situation?
(a) Falmouth, Australia
(b) Wellington, New Zealand
(c) Christ Church, New Zealand
(d) Sydney, Australia
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Lt. Commander Peter Holmes of the Royal Australian Navy, his wife Mary, and baby daughter Jennifer live?
2. What is headed for the Southern hemisphere?
3. How does Dwight want to think about people in the Northern hemisphere?
4. What does Osbourne say about the world?
5. How do Moira and Dwight get to know each other better?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)