|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dwight say he plans on doing once he returns to Mystic, Connecticut?
(a) retiring from the Navy
(b) opening a shop
(c) getting a sailboat
(d) writing a book
2. What does Peter do as the sub returns to Melbourne?
(a) calls Moira to let her know Dwight is back
(b) resigns his commission
(c) invites Dwight back to his home
(d) goes to by presents for Mary and Jennifer
3. What weapons were used in the Russian-Chinese war?
(a) dirty bombs
(b) small atomic warheads
(c) siberians and mongals
(d) hydrogen and cobalt bombs
4. Why does Osbourne say that perhaps people did not deserve the world?
(a) we have been too silly
(b) the world has too much to offer
(c) we deserve something better
(d) the animals have more sense
5. What is John's uncle doing that he had given up for health reasons?
(a) drinking port
(b) racing cars
(c) eating cakes
(d) smoking cigars
6. What does Dwight say is coming in very evenly all around the world?
(a) a rise in air temperature
(b) a lowering of temperature
(c) the measles
(d) the radiation
7. How long did the nuclear war last in the Northern hemisphere?
(a) one year
(b) thirty-seven days
(c) one week
(d) six months
8. Where is the USS Swordfish, another nuclear powered submarine?
(a) down in the Antarctic
(b) in the Persian Gulf
(c) off the coast of South America
(d) off the coast of France
9. After the trail cruise, who comes to inspect the USS Scorpion?
(a) the Prime Minister
(b) the Mayor of Melbourne
(c) Vice Admiral, Sir David Hartman
(d) former general, Sir Douglas Froude
10. When had Dwight attended a briefing about the threat of war?
(a) the day it started
(b) one month before it broke out
(c) as early as a year ago
(d) just a week before it started
11. Why does Mr. Davidson think people are not migrating south ahead of the radiation?
(a) they think the radiation will weaken quickly
(b) not enough publicity had time to get to everyone
(c) they do not really believe it is going to happen to them
(d) they have no idea where to go
12. With whom do Peter and Dwight meet in Melbourne?
(a) the Prime Minister
(b) a committee of nervous residents
(c) the Supreme Allied Commander
(d) the crew of the USS Scorpion
13. Why is John Osbourne assigned to the USS Scorpion?
(a) as communications officer to translate Australian speech
(b) as morale officer to entertain the sailors
(c) as science officer to test the levels of radiation
(d) as medical officer to care for injured
14. Where does Peter have an appointment?
(a) on the USS Scorpion
(b) at the Navy Department in Melbourne
(c) with the Mayor of Melbourne
(d) at the Naval Hospital
15. In church on Sunday, what does Dwight think about?
(a) how lonely he is
(b) what his assignment will be
(c) Moira Davidson
(d) his family in the United States
Short Answer Questions
1. What is headed for the Southern hemisphere?
2. What are Dwight and Peter ordered not to do on the upcoming cruise?
3. Why are they forbidden to go to Townsville?
4. What has happened at the outset of the novel?
5. What does Moira's father ask Dwight?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)