|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Zinsser end his travel article that he wrote about Timbuktu?
2. What do people need to understand about science?
3. Why is it important for writers to stick to industry standards?
4. What do writers focus on most?
5. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
2. How is taste involved in writing?
3. How does Zinsser react when editors want to change too much of his work?
4. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
5. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
6. What needs to be described in a travel article?
7. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
8. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
9. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
10. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was your definition of literature before reading this book? Has it changed or is it the same? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of using modern words versus antiquated words in writing. Explain when it would be important to use older words versus more modern words.
Essay Topic 3
What is the bracket method? Do you find this method useful? Compare it to crossing out.
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)