|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important for writers to practice?
2. How much information should a writer provide to his or her readers?
3. Why do structured classes miss the point of teaching good writing?
4. Does ZInsser give in to his editor's changes?
5. What does the fear cause writers to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
2. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
3. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
4. How does Zinsser feel about writing when a writer doesn't want to? Why do writers have this luxury?
5. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
6. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
7. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
8. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
9. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
10. How is taste involved in writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think about Zinsser's point of view on the audience? Who does he feel is more important? Do you agree that a writer should ignore their potential audience and focus solely on pleasing themselves first? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that everyone can write well as Zinsser mentions? Or do you think that a writer must have a natural gift for the written word? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Rewrite the following sentence into three good leads: The cat jumped onto the fence.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)