|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
2. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
3. What problem does a scientist have when writing about science?
4. How does Zinsser create his final products?
5. How are writers like painters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
2. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
3. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
4. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
5. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
6. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
7. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
8. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
9. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
10. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of writing should not be changed and why? What are some ways to better industry standards, where wording needs to remain uniform?
Essay Topic 2
Change the rhythm of the following two sentences to a more accurate rhythm based on the words:
They walked slowly. The cars zoomed past them in an endless glow of white and red lights as they elongated their glides.
Answer: The first sentence should be elongated to give a slow pace to the sentence. The second sentence should be short and crisp. The words can be exchanged between sentences.
Essay Topic 3
Zinsser says that writers should write from their subconscious to let everything flow, then go back and hammer out all the gritty details. How often do you take this approach? Do you agree with it? Why or why not?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)