|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people need to understand about science?
2. What is different about every writer's voice?
3. What is a major problem of business writing?
4. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
5. What occurs when business writing is bad?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
2. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
3. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
4. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
5. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
6. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
7. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
8. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
9. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
10. How is taste involved in writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think about Zinsser's attitude towards writing, especially in terms of his reaction to the doctor that loves to write at the beginning of the book? At times it feels as though he is all business and no fun. Do you find writing a chore or a pleasure?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of using modern words versus antiquated words in writing. Explain when it would be important to use older words versus more modern words.
Essay Topic 3
What is clutter within an article and how does Zinsser suggest writers cut it out? Are there times when clutter would be a good think to have within a sentence or paragraph? Was it hard for you to recognize clutter within your own writing?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)