|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are writers like painters?
2. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
3. Did Zinsser always want to write?
4. Writers should always look for ________________.
5. What does Zinsser think about this misconception?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
2. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
3. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
4. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
5. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
6. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
7. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
8. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
9. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
10. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that everyone can write well as Zinsser mentions? Or do you think that a writer must have a natural gift for the written word? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the bracket method? Do you find this method useful? Compare it to crossing out.
Essay Topic 3
Rewrite the following sentence into three good leads: The cat jumped onto the fence.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)