|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Should a writer use different voices for different types of writing?
2. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
3. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
4. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
5. What is the biggest fear that nonfiction writers have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
2. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
3. What needs to be described in a travel article?
4. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
5. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
6. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
7. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
8. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
9. How does Zinsser feel about writing when a writer doesn't want to? Why do writers have this luxury?
10. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How have you heard the Eiffel Tower described? Regardless of whether you've seen it or not, describe it a different way, positive or negative. Avoid cliches.
Essay Topic 2
What was your definition of literature before reading this book? Has it changed or is it the same? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Timing is important in humor writing because the reader should always be surprised. What is another thing to consider when writing humorously? How does humor evolve? Does it evolve?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)