|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
2. How are writers like painters?
3. How much information should a writer provide to his or her readers?
4. What occurs when business writing is bad?
5. Do writers need to write all the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
2. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
3. How does Zinsser react when editors want to change too much of his work?
4. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
5. How is taste involved in writing?
6. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
7. What needs to be described in a travel article?
8. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
9. Does Zinsser think that scientists can write?
10. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some industries that use corporate-speak or jargon in the majority of their writing? Why have these industries continued to use the same type of terrible writing? What can a person in the industry do to change this? Why would they be scared to change the status quo?
Essay Topic 2
Rewrite the following sentence into an ending sentence and the first sentence in the following paragraph: The car drove off the cliff. Make it compelling. Make the reader want to keep on reading.
Ex: Ending Sentence: The car sped off the cliff. First sentence next paragraph: They all survived.
Essay Topic 3
Choosing the right words is a tedious process. How often did you find yourself nitpicking over the right words? Did the exercises in the class help you come to the realization about finding the correct words? What was on aspect of word searching that you found to be fun, or uninteresting?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)