|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a misconception about writers and scientists?
2. What should writers focus on the most?
3. What is a second approach Zinsser recommends that complements the first approach mentioned?
4. What is a major problem with humorous writing?
5. What did his parents teach him that made him a fantastic writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
2. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
3. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
4. How is taste involved in writing?
5. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
6. How does Zinsser react when editors want to change too much of his work?
7. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
8. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
9. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
10. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing the right words is a tedious process. How often did you find yourself nitpicking over the right words? Did the exercises in the class help you come to the realization about finding the correct words? What was on aspect of word searching that you found to be fun, or uninteresting?
Essay Topic 2
When choosing a style of writing, what do you look for first? Do you think about the tone you want to have, the overall feel of the article, the way you want the reader to receive the article? Explain your thought process on approaching style.
Essay Topic 3
Timing is important in humor writing because the reader should always be surprised. What is another thing to consider when writing humorously? How does humor evolve? Does it evolve?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)