|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the danger of overusing humor in writing?
2. What is an example of American television shows that use humor to talk about serious issues?
3. What is a second approach Zinsser recommends that complements the first approach mentioned?
4. Is sports writing different from any other form of good writing?
5. What is a general rule for writing about sports?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Zinsser think that scientists can write?
2. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
3. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
4. How does Zinsser react when editors want to change too much of his work?
5. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
6. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
7. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
8. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
9. How is taste involved in writing?
10. Who does Zinsser blame when it comes to focusing on the final prize instead of the work of an article?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing the right words is a tedious process. How often did you find yourself nitpicking over the right words? Did the exercises in the class help you come to the realization about finding the correct words? What was on aspect of word searching that you found to be fun, or uninteresting?
Essay Topic 2
What type of writing should not be changed and why? What are some ways to better industry standards, where wording needs to remain uniform?
Essay Topic 3
What was your definition of literature before reading this book? Has it changed or is it the same? Explain why or why not.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)