|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Zinsser learn how to write?
2. What did he love about the New York Herald?
3. What approach to a place should writers take?
4. What do writers focus on most?
5. Should a writer use different voices for different types of writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
2. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
3. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
4. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
5. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
6. How is taste involved in writing?
7. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
8. How does Zinsser react when editors want to change too much of his work?
9. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
10. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the bracket method? Do you find this method useful? Compare it to crossing out.
Essay Topic 2
Rewrite the following sentence into three good leads: The cat jumped onto the fence.
Essay Topic 3
How have you heard the Eiffel Tower described? Regardless of whether you've seen it or not, describe it a different way, positive or negative. Avoid cliches.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)