|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cliche words should be avoided at all costs. What else should be avoided?
2. What is a major problem with humorous writing?
3. What is a misconception about writers and scientists?
4. Why does this misconception exist?
5. What did his parents teach him that made him a fantastic writer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
2. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
3. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
4. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
5. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
6. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
7. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
8. How is taste involved in writing?
9. What needs to be described in a travel article?
10. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What type of writing should not be changed and why? What are some ways to better industry standards, where wording needs to remain uniform?
Essay Topic 2
Timing is important in humor writing because the reader should always be surprised. What is another thing to consider when writing humorously? How does humor evolve? Does it evolve?
Essay Topic 3
What are ways that politicians can better their speech writing style? What are some common political cliches you have heard recently? What is it about cliches that tend to always make it into speeches? Touch on human emotion with your response.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)