|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the fear cause writers to do?
2. What should writers focus on the most?
3. What is a major problem of business writing?
4. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
5. His article was supposed to be about his impressions of salt caravans, why didn't he write more about this?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Zinsser think that scientists can write?
2. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
3. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
4. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
5. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
6. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
7. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
8. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
9. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
10. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some industries that use corporate-speak or jargon in the majority of their writing? Why have these industries continued to use the same type of terrible writing? What can a person in the industry do to change this? Why would they be scared to change the status quo?
Essay Topic 2
What are some interview questions that must always be asked? What should a writer know before going into an interview? Should a writer go in with extensive research on a subject, or just show up with minimal knowledge and learn it all from a pro? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
What are ways that politicians can better their speech writing style? What are some common political cliches you have heard recently? What is it about cliches that tend to always make it into speeches? Touch on human emotion with your response.
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)