|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
2. Why should companies learn to produce better writing?
3. What happens when writers do not stick to proper grammar rules?
4. What advice does Zinsser give to employees who want to change business writing?
5. What is an example of American television shows that use humor to talk about serious issues?
Essay Topic 1
Change the rhythm of the following two sentences to a more accurate rhythm based on the words:
They walked slowly. The cars zoomed past them in an endless glow of white and red lights as they elongated their glides.
Answer: The first sentence should be elongated to give a slow pace to the sentence. The second sentence should be short and crisp. The words can be exchanged between sentences.
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that everyone can write well as Zinsser mentions? Or do you think that a writer must have a natural gift for the written word? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What are ways that politicians can better their speech writing style? What are some common political cliches you have heard recently? What is it about cliches that tend to always make it into speeches? Touch on human emotion with your response.
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)