|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Zinsser give to employees who want to change business writing?
2. What approach to a place should writers take?
3. What is a second approach Zinsser recommends that complements the first approach mentioned?
4. What advice does Zinsser have for all writers?
5. Where did Zinsser learn how to write?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
2. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
3. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
4. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
5. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
6. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
7. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
8. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
9. How does Zinsser feel about writing when a writer doesn't want to? Why do writers have this luxury?
10. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the bracket method? Do you find this method useful? Compare it to crossing out.
Essay Topic 2
When choosing a style of writing, what do you look for first? Do you think about the tone you want to have, the overall feel of the article, the way you want the reader to receive the article? Explain your thought process on approaching style.
Essay Topic 3
What are some industries that use corporate-speak or jargon in the majority of their writing? Why have these industries continued to use the same type of terrible writing? What can a person in the industry do to change this? Why would they be scared to change the status quo?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)