|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest fear that nonfiction writers have?
2. Where did Zinsser learn how to write?
3. What do people forget about writing?
4. What does Zinsser think about writing memoirs?
5. Why is jargon, or corporate speak, so prevalent in business writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
2. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
3. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
4. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
5. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
6. How is taste involved in writing?
7. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
8. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
9. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
10. How does Zinsser feel about writing when a writer doesn't want to? Why do writers have this luxury?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the importance of using modern words versus antiquated words in writing. Explain when it would be important to use older words versus more modern words.
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe that everyone can write well as Zinsser mentions? Or do you think that a writer must have a natural gift for the written word? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What are some industries that use corporate-speak or jargon in the majority of their writing? Why have these industries continued to use the same type of terrible writing? What can a person in the industry do to change this? Why would they be scared to change the status quo?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)