|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does a writer need to start to get his or her voice discovered?
2. What do people forget about writing?
3. Where did Zinsser learn how to write?
4. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
5. What does Zinsser think about writing memoirs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What needs to be described in a travel article?
2. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
3. Why is humor the most powerful tool for a nonfiction writer?
4. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
5. Should sports writers add their opinions in sports articles?
6. Why do writers need to develop their own voice? How does writing compare to other art forms?
7. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
8. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
9. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
10. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some industries that use corporate-speak or jargon in the majority of their writing? Why have these industries continued to use the same type of terrible writing? What can a person in the industry do to change this? Why would they be scared to change the status quo?
Essay Topic 2
Change the rhythm of the following two sentences to a more accurate rhythm based on the words:
They walked slowly. The cars zoomed past them in an endless glow of white and red lights as they elongated their glides.
Answer: The first sentence should be elongated to give a slow pace to the sentence. The second sentence should be short and crisp. The words can be exchanged between sentences.
Essay Topic 3
What type of writing should not be changed and why? What are some ways to better industry standards, where wording needs to remain uniform?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)