|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is jargon, or corporate speak, so prevalent in business writing?
2. Why do structured classes miss the point of teaching good writing?
3. What is a major problem with humorous writing?
4. Did Zinsser always want to write?
5. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
2. Why does a writer's fear of new subjects keep him from taking original and interesting projects?
3. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
4. What is a strategy to making sure the above choices fit?
5. How does Zinsser feel about writing when a writer doesn't want to? Why do writers have this luxury?
6. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
7. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
8. What is a major pitfall of sports writers?
9. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
10. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choosing the right words is a tedious process. How often did you find yourself nitpicking over the right words? Did the exercises in the class help you come to the realization about finding the correct words? What was on aspect of word searching that you found to be fun, or uninteresting?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think about Zinsser's attitude towards writing, especially in terms of his reaction to the doctor that loves to write at the beginning of the book? At times it feels as though he is all business and no fun. Do you find writing a chore or a pleasure?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of using modern words versus antiquated words in writing. Explain when it would be important to use older words versus more modern words.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)