|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the biggest fear that nonfiction writers have?
2. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
3. Did Zinsser always want to write?
4. What is a major problem of business writing?
5. Is there room for opinion when writing a sports article?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
2. Why should exact details be avoided in memoirs? What approach should writers take instead?
3. Why is bad to fall into cliches when travel writing?
4. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
5. What needs to be described in a travel article?
6. Does he recommend this level of pride to other writers?
7. Who does Zinsser blame when it comes to focusing on the final prize instead of the work of an article?
8. What is a good way to learn how to write with humor? How much humor should be used?
9. What tense do business writer stend to use that hurts their writing?
10. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the bracket method? Do you find this method useful? Compare it to crossing out.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of using modern words versus antiquated words in writing. Explain when it would be important to use older words versus more modern words.
Essay Topic 3
Choosing the right words is a tedious process. How often did you find yourself nitpicking over the right words? Did the exercises in the class help you come to the realization about finding the correct words? What was on aspect of word searching that you found to be fun, or uninteresting?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)