|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cliche words should be avoided at all costs. What else should be avoided?
2. Did Zinsser always want to write?
3. What occurs when business writing is bad?
4. Why is it important for writers to stick to industry standards?
5. What do writers focus on most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain some of the choices that writers have to take when editing?
2. Why is there an attitude that certain people are only meant to learn certain subjects and skills like writing or science?
3. Why should writers forget about the final product when they are writing?
4. How does Zinsser react when editors want to change too much of his work?
5. What needs to be described in a travel article?
6. Why do critics need to be well versed in the art they are writing about?
7. Why are Americans scared to write about themselves?
8. What are some of the hardest parts of writing about performances?
9. Does Zinsser think that scientists can write?
10. Why is corporate speak the norm in business writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some interview questions that must always be asked? What should a writer know before going into an interview? Should a writer go in with extensive research on a subject, or just show up with minimal knowledge and learn it all from a pro? Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
What type of writing should not be changed and why? What are some ways to better industry standards, where wording needs to remain uniform?
Essay Topic 3
Timing is important in humor writing because the reader should always be surprised. What is another thing to consider when writing humorously? How does humor evolve? Does it evolve?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)