|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What freedom does he give his students?
(a) He lets everyone out early on Fridays.
(b) He doesn't give freedom. He is very demanding of his students.
(c) The power to decide what to write about, what angle to take, what perspective, and what to cut out.
(d) He doesn't give deadlines, the gives very little guidance, and just lets people write and turn in first drafts.
2. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
(a) Editors hate reading memoirs therefore don't pick them up.
(b) An attitude to please teachers and not readers.
(c) People don't like reading memoires.
(d) Memoires don't sell well enough.
3. What gives nonfiction books life?
(a) Humanity and warmth.
(b) The cover of the book.
(c) White lies that sell certain facts.
(d) Pure hard facts.
4. His article was supposed to be about his impressions of salt caravans, why didn't he write more about this?
(a) He was bored with the caravans, and would have bored his readers since he cannot fake his voice.
(b) He wasn't paying attention to the salt caravans.
(c) He never saw the salt caravans, and this was the humor in his article.
(d) Salt caravans are general knowledge and he didn't want to sound cliche.
5. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
(c) The marketplace.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Zinsser ever use humor in his writing?
2. Writers should always look for ________________.
3. Where did Zinsser learn how to write?
4. What method of writing does Zissner use?
5. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)