|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
(a) Normal Mailer and Virginia Wolfe.
(b) Norman Mailer and Tom Wolfe.
(c) Virginia Woolfe and Sylvia Plath.
(d) Sylvia Plath and Jane Austen.
2. What do interviews do for the writer?
(a) They make a writer feel stupid since he or she does not know that much about a subject.
(b) They make the writer an expert in a given subject.
(c) Interviews humanize a topic, making a boring topic interesting.
(d) They make a writer less valid, since he or she needs to interview several people to create one article.
3. What is a major problem of business writing?
(a) Using jargon that only other business people can understand.
(b) Using graphs and not labeling them.
(c) Not using proper wording to appeal to the business world.
(d) Using long sentences.
4. What should writers focus on the most?
(a) Their audience.
(b) The writing process.
(c) Their editors.
(d) The final product.
5. Is sports writing different from any other form of good writing?
(a) Yes, it isn't as important.
(b) No, good writing is good writing.
(c) No, it is just as good as other writing.
(d) Yes, it isn't as comprehensive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does a writer need to start to get his or her voice discovered?
2. What is the problem with American writing?
3. What does Zinsser think about this misconception?
4. What is a general rule for writing about sports?
5. Cliche words should be avoided at all costs. What else should be avoided?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)