|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
(a) It starts before interviewing to set up the article paragraphs.
(b) It starts whenever the writer is ready to start.
(c) It starts when the interviewing process and research is complete.
(d) It starts before the interview but after the research.
2. Why is it so hard to write about places?
(a) It is hard to translate what the eyes see.
(b) Two people never see a place the same way.
(c) Writers tend to fall into cliches, especially when writing about well known places.
(d) Places change over time and it is hard to stay true to the general feel of a place.
3. How does Zinsser end his travel article that he wrote about Timbuktu?
(a) He ends with a joke about how hot it was in the desert.
(b) He generalizes the story.
(c) He repeats his first sentence, throws in a stat about the country, and mentions eveyrone should visit at one point in their life.
(d) He ends by telling the truth and stating how satisfied he was with his desert experience.
4. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
(a) Not having brainstormed enough.
(b) Not having enough experience.
(c) Not knowing what they want to say.
(d) Not taking any writing classes.
5. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
(a) Norman Mailer and Tom Wolfe.
(b) Sylvia Plath and Jane Austen.
(c) Normal Mailer and Virginia Wolfe.
(d) Virginia Woolfe and Sylvia Plath.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main thing required to being a good writer?
2. What is a memoir?
3. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
4. What period of writing constantly used semicolons?
5. Should a writer use different voices for different types of writing?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)