|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
(a) In the newspaper.
(b) In English class.
(c) Corporate memos or technical writing.
(d) Online writing.
2. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
(b) To sound out simple syllables.
(c) To sound out simple sentences.
(d) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
3. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) No, it is the same.
(b) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
(c) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
(d) No, it has gotten worse.
4. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
(a) Using too many commas.
(b) Using cliches and made up words.
(c) Usin too many dashes.
(d) Not doing grammar checks.
5. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
(a) First person.
(b) Combination third and first.
(c) Second person.
(d) Third person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Good writing is ______________.
2. What makes a good first sentence?
3. What did he love about the New York Herald?
4. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
5. What does Zinsser make sure his paragraphs do?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)