|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did he love about the New York Herald?
(a) He loved how opinionated all the columnists were.
(b) He loved that it always came to his doorstep as a child.
(c) The style which incorporated warmth, humor and the master of the English language.
(d) He appreciated the fair and balanced reporting.
2. What is unity in writing?
(a) Unity is when characters are unipolar and one dimensional.
(b) Unity is when the writer sticks to one plot.
(c) Unity is when the characters in a story are united and never disagree with one another.
(d) Unity is where the writer maintains consistency throughout an entire piece.
3. What makes a good first sentence?
(a) A good ending is best to tie up the first sentence.
(b) The first sentence only sets up the second sentence. That is the one writers should focus on.
(c) A good first sentence has a good lead. A good lead is one that works.
(d) A good first sentence needs to be written with exceptional grammer.
4. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
(a) Instruction manuals.
(b) Political Journals.
(c) Television captions.
(d) Literature anthologies.
5. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
(a) It never works.
(b) It is worth a try to sell a book or article.
(c) It is the secret to selling a book.
(d) It is what gets writers through the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do people need to understand about science?
2. Where does a writer need to start to get his or her voice discovered?
3. Does Zinsser ever use humor in his writing?
4. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
5. Good writing is ______________.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)