|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
(a) He likes reading immigrant memoirs.
(b) He likes reading memoirs about other writers and their experiences.
(c) He only reads novels.
(d) He does not read memoirs.
2. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
(a) English isn't an easy language and is not easy to write at all.
(b) It has strict rules that makes it impossible to stray.
(c) There are very limited words, so there is no need to find alternatives, which cuts time in half.
(d) It is rich with words.
3. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
(a) Criticism need to be stronger at literary elements because they need to recreate a scene or a song in the imagination of their readers with words only.
(b) Only those able to understand the arts can write about them, and very little people can.
(c) Criticism is harder to write about because it tends to be less attractive than other writing.
(d) Criticism writers are no different. They still need to use the same basic rules of writing.
4. Why is it important for writers to stick to industry standards?
(a) To sell magazines.
(b) To be good writers, since the industry sets the standard.
(c) The industry wants everything to be the same so they can catalogue writing more easily.
(d) Readers likely played the sport they are reading about and want to know what happened from a standard perspective.
5. How much research does Zinsser recommend for an article?
(a) He recommends finding the bare minimum and bulking an article up with adjectives.
(b) He recommends finding just enough to make a word count.
(c) He recommends finding much more information than is needed for the article.
(d) He recommends using at least three full length books for a one page article.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
2. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
3. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
4. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
5. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)