|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should the lead in the first sentence do for a reader?
(a) It should be very basic to hook in all types of readers.
(b) It should tell the reader very little about the article, so he or she will continue reading.
(c) It should introduce the article informatively and let the reader know it will be a good read.
(d) It should capture the reader and force him or her to keep reading.
2. What method of writing does Zissner use?
(a) Bold paragraph approach.
(b) New Journalism.
(c) Cluster writing.
(d) Old Journalism.
3. Why does Zissner advise his clients to worry about the marketplace last?
(a) Because nobody knows what is going to sell.
(b) Because the marketplace never changes.
(c) Writing a good piece for the marketplace is easy when they know what sells.
(d) Because the marketplace always needs books and will take anything.
4. What do people need to understand about science?
(a) It is a foundation that needs to be built upon.
(b) It is easy to understand if given the chance.
(c) It can be learned at any point in life.
(d) Only nerds can learn it.
5. How rigid are the lines between proper and improper English usage?
(a) They are very rigid and one cannot cross the line.
(b) There is a grey area, though the need for proper English is most important.
(c) They are very soft, and not rigid at all.
(d) There are no lines at all. Every writer has a poetic license to do with words what he or she pleases.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an example of a hit book that was rejected several times?
2. Why doesn't Zinsser teach people how to get published?
3. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
4. What happens when a product of writing is never read?
5. What are the best aspects of a good story?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)