|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
(a) Editors hate reading memoirs therefore don't pick them up.
(b) An attitude to please teachers and not readers.
(c) People don't like reading memoires.
(d) Memoires don't sell well enough.
2. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
(a) To emulate their heroes.
(b) To learn from other writers' mistakes.
(c) To study the market.
(d) To learn how to write.
3. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
(b) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
(c) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
(d) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
4. How much information should a writer provide to his or her readers?
(a) Very little. Readers need to be left in the dark so they can go see a show on their own.
(b) Enought to make a show worth seeing, without spoiling it for the readers and viewers.
(c) Only dates and times of the show with a thumbs up or down.
(d) Everything about the show that he or she felt was worthwhile.
5. What are the best aspects of a good story?
(a) Writing skill.
(b) Clarity and writing skill.
(d) Good research.
Short Answer Questions
1. What should the lead in the first sentence do for a reader?
2. What problem does a scientist have when writing about science?
3. Why doesn't Zinsser teach people how to get published?
4. What is a major job of a nonfiction writer?
5. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)