|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the doctor write?
(a) He writes to make extra money.
(b) He is writing a book.
(c) He writes for fun.
(d) He writes because he hates being a surgeon.
2. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
(a) It is worth a try to sell a book or article.
(b) It is the secret to selling a book.
(c) It is what gets writers through the door.
(d) It never works.
3. What is the danger of overusing humor in writing?
(a) It can get tiresome and jokes over time will become weaker.
(b) A writer will not be taken seriously.
(c) A writer's credibility will tank.
(d) Rejection from not being funny enough, or at all.
4. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
(b) To never second guess a story.
(c) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(d) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
5. Who is rivaling everything that Zissner is saying?
(a) Another writer.
(b) The professor of the class.
(c) A doctor who writes for a hobby.
(d) A student in the audience.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
2. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
3. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
4. What problem does a scientist have when writing about science?
5. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)