|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
(b) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
(c) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
(d) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
2. What gives nonfiction books life?
(a) The cover of the book.
(b) Pure hard facts.
(c) White lies that sell certain facts.
(d) Humanity and warmth.
3. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
(a) The writer does not have to do any interviews.
(b) The main subject is already known.
(c) The writer does not have to pay attention to basic grammar rules.
(d) They are lax and impersonal.
4. Why doesn't Zinsser teach people how to get published?
(a) He does not want any competition.
(b) Because he doesn't really know what editors want.
(c) He wants people to learn that themselves as part of a growing experience.
(d) Because he doesn't know how to get people published.
5. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
(a) It is important for slower readers to follow along.
(b) It is important for the development of characters, and to set up a plot.
(c) It is important so that verbs don't get confused with nouns.
(d) Very tense consistency is important so that the reader does not become lost in the timing of events.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do structured classes miss the point of teaching good writing?
2. What do writers focus on most?
3. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
4. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
5. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)