|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
(a) Criticism writers are no different. They still need to use the same basic rules of writing.
(b) Criticism need to be stronger at literary elements because they need to recreate a scene or a song in the imagination of their readers with words only.
(c) Only those able to understand the arts can write about them, and very little people can.
(d) Criticism is harder to write about because it tends to be less attractive than other writing.
2. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(b) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
(c) To never second guess a story.
(d) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
3. What do people forget about writing?
(a) It is easy and anyone can do it.
(b) It is a gift that only certain people have.
(c) It is a craft and it can be learned.
(d) It is a science that is hard to understand.
4. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) No, it has gotten worse.
(b) No, it is the same.
(c) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
(d) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
5. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
(a) Style and substance.
(b) Style and sentence structure.
(c) Substance and exaggerating adjectives.
(d) Information and substance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
2. What has literature transformed into?
3. Where did Zinsser learn how to write?
4. What does the etymology of words mean?
5. How does Zinsser create his final products?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)