|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zinsser think about writing memoirs?
(a) He encourages them and wants writers to stop being afraid about writing about themselves.
(b) He likes memoirs and reads them constantly.
(c) He thinks memoirs are tacky writers.
(d) He is against memoirs and thinks writers should never write about themselves.
2. What are Zinsser's four articles of faith to writing well?
(a) Clarity, simplicity, brevity and humanity.
(b) Simplicity, brevity, busy sentences and proper grammer.
(c) Clarity, simplicity, elasticity and minimalism.
(d) Brevity, quick turnaround, clever sentences and little humanity.
3. What is the biggest mistake a writer can make when creating sentences?
(a) Packing in too much information into one sentence.
(b) Overediting sentences.
(c) Not reading their sentences aloud.
(d) Not creating sentences that readers want to read.
4. How much information should a writer provide to his or her readers?
(a) Enought to make a show worth seeing, without spoiling it for the readers and viewers.
(b) Only dates and times of the show with a thumbs up or down.
(c) Very little. Readers need to be left in the dark so they can go see a show on their own.
(d) Everything about the show that he or she felt was worthwhile.
5. What should every paragraph end with?
(a) Every paragraph needs to have a hook or a cliffhanger that will lead the reader into the next paragraph.
(b) All paragraphs should end with a summary of the entire paragraph.
(c) Every paragraph should end with a period.
(d) All paragraphs should repeat the first sentence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does a writer need to start to get his or her voice discovered?
2. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
3. What are Zissner's feelings about writing?
4. What is the transaction in writing?
5. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)