|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 23 A Writer's Decision.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the real audience in a piece of writing?
(a) The editor.
(b) Both the editor and author.
(c) The reader.
(d) The author.
2. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
(a) Nonfiction writers tend to want to say the last word on a subject, which covers too much ground.
(b) They want to be the final experts and turn away viable information that would change their articles.
(c) They tend to write confusing articles that do not interest anyone.
(d) They don't research enough.
3. What is Zinsser's preferred method for interviewing?
(a) He likes to use pens and markers.
(b) He likes to use pencils and paper.
(c) He doesn't use anything. He just listens.
(d) He likes audio recorders.
4. What should every paragraph end with?
(a) All paragraphs should end with a summary of the entire paragraph.
(b) Every paragraph needs to have a hook or a cliffhanger that will lead the reader into the next paragraph.
(c) Every paragraph should end with a period.
(d) All paragraphs should repeat the first sentence.
5. Why does this misconception exist?
(a) Writers only want to read literature, and not science.
(b) Scientists are left brain individuals that don't want to learn to write.
(c) Writing is too complex for many, and is more of an art than a science.
(d) Early education lumps students into categories, creating boundaries they can never cross in the future.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the purpose of colons?
2. Where should the writer find his or her words?
3. How is humor used in writing nonfiction?
4. What happens when writers do not stick to proper grammar rules?
5. Where is there an opportunity for great creative writing?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)