|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two tools every writer should use?
(a) Spell check and grammar check.
(b) Thesaraus and dictionary.
(c) Thesaraus and grammar check.
(d) Spell check and dictionary.
2. What advice does Zinsser give to employees who want to change business writing?
(a) Complain to HR.
(b) Write the way they want regardless of what their bosses say.
(c) Keep trying to change it and make it better.
(d) Take their concerns to the board.
3. What should the lead in the first sentence do for a reader?
(a) It should be very basic to hook in all types of readers.
(b) It should tell the reader very little about the article, so he or she will continue reading.
(c) It should introduce the article informatively and let the reader know it will be a good read.
(d) It should capture the reader and force him or her to keep reading.
4. Is there room for opinion when writing a sports article?
(a) Absolutely not.
(b) Writers should limit commentary and stick to the stats.
(c) Yes. Readers trust sports writers to make sports predictions about their favorite teams.
(d) There is always room for commentary.
5. What approach to a place should writers take?
(a) Just writing ambiguously.
(b) To go around asking the locals questions.
(c) To go within a place and see how it impacts the writer.
(d) Reading other travel pieces and compare them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What period of writing constantly used semicolons?
2. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
3. What happens when the reader loses interest in the writing?
4. What is the transaction in writing?
5. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
This section contains 332 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)