|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do writers need to stick to rules?
(a) Writers need to stick to rules because readers expect them to.
(b) To impress their teachers with their adherance to rules.
(c) To get a copy past their editors on time.
(d) In order to get taken seriously and get picked up by an agent.
2. What is the main thing readers think when starting an article?
(a) They want to know how soon they will find the answer to the original thesis question of an article.
(b) They want to know how long it will take them to read the article.
(c) They want to know whether it is worth it to read the article.
(d) They want to know whether the writer is credible or not.
3. Why does the doctor write?
(a) He is writing a book.
(b) He writes for fun.
(c) He writes because he hates being a surgeon.
(d) He writes to make extra money.
4. What is a dash useful for?
(a) Dashes act as pointers to a point and to set off parenthetical statementes.
(b) Dashes are good to separate thoughts.
(c) Dashes are good to connect complex sentences.
(d) Dashes are good in place of exclamations.
5. How does a writer become better at his craft?
(a) By reading everything.
(b) By taking a writing class.
(c) By taking initiative to improve every day.
(d) By avoiding trashy novels.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes a good first sentence?
2. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
3. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
4. What is Zissner's point of view on the debate between literature and journalism?
5. What is a major problem of business writing?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)