|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a major job of a nonfiction writer?
(a) Conducting interviews with people who know about the writing project subject.
(b) Taking on a project with a clean slate. Just like a jury in a legal battle.
(c) Majoring in the subject they will write about.
(d) Learning as much as possible about a subject before taking on a project.
2. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) Spanish Civil War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Vietnam War.
3. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
(a) It has strict rules that makes it impossible to stray.
(b) English isn't an easy language and is not easy to write at all.
(c) There are very limited words, so there is no need to find alternatives, which cuts time in half.
(d) It is rich with words.
4. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
(b) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
(c) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(d) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
5. Why do writers need to stick to rules?
(a) In order to get taken seriously and get picked up by an agent.
(b) Writers need to stick to rules because readers expect them to.
(c) To impress their teachers with their adherance to rules.
(d) To get a copy past their editors on time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
2. Do readers generally like knowing about athletes' personal lives?
3. How does a writer become better at his craft?
4. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
5. What is a major problem of business writing?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)