|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
(a) Norman Mailer and Tom Wolfe.
(b) Virginia Woolfe and Sylvia Plath.
(c) Normal Mailer and Virginia Wolfe.
(d) Sylvia Plath and Jane Austen.
2. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
(a) It starts before interviewing to set up the article paragraphs.
(b) It starts when the interviewing process and research is complete.
(c) It starts whenever the writer is ready to start.
(d) It starts before the interview but after the research.
3. Cliche words should be avoided at all costs. What else should be avoided?
(a) Assuming the writer has already been to a place.
(b) Not describing a place enough.
(c) Overly describing a single place.
(d) Cliched details.
4. What is an example of a dead language?
(a) Latin is dead because nobody speaks it anymore.
(b) Italian because there is only one country that speaks it.
(c) Chinese because it never changes.
(d) Spanish because its roots are disintegrating.
5. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
(a) It is what modern editors like to read.
(b) It is more entertaining since it is true.
(c) It isn't more popular, it is just more widespread.
(d) Entertainment alternatives makes nonfiction more popular, even if it is a trend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zinsser's preferred method for interviewing?
2. Why does this misconception exist?
3. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
4. What is a general rule for writing about sports?
5. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)