|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
(a) The writer does not have to pay attention to basic grammar rules.
(b) The writer does not have to do any interviews.
(c) They are lax and impersonal.
(d) The main subject is already known.
2. Why is it important to narrow down a nonfiction piece?
(a) It isn't that important. It just sells better to magazines to be focused.
(b) It isn't important. People just want to look at pictures anyways.
(c) One person cannot write an article about every aspect of something. That is what books are for.
(d) Articles should not drain the writer and reader. Focusing on a corner is better than redefining an entire room.
3. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
(a) Criticism is harder to write about because it tends to be less attractive than other writing.
(b) Criticism need to be stronger at literary elements because they need to recreate a scene or a song in the imagination of their readers with words only.
(c) Criticism writers are no different. They still need to use the same basic rules of writing.
(d) Only those able to understand the arts can write about them, and very little people can.
4. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
(a) Reading through a window.
(b) Reading a story upside down.
(c) Reading a piece backwards.
(d) Reading under a blacklight.
5. Where should the writer find his or her words?
(a) From a dictionary.
(b) From a thesaraus.
(c) From modern euphanisms that people can relate to.
(d) From within the subconscious to the writing consciousness
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main attitude that writers have today?
2. What does Zissner say is a common desire of every writer?
3. What is a general rule for writing about sports?
4. What does the etymology of words mean?
5. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)