|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it important for writers to stick to industry standards?
(a) The industry wants everything to be the same so they can catalogue writing more easily.
(b) To sell magazines.
(c) Readers likely played the sport they are reading about and want to know what happened from a standard perspective.
(d) To be good writers, since the industry sets the standard.
2. What is the old view of nonfiction?
(a) That it is the best form of writing because it is factual and real.
(b) That it is the only respectable form of writing.
(c) That it is only journalism which isn't a respectable form of writing.
(d) That it is all commentary that means nothing to anyone but the writer.
3. Who is the real audience in a piece of writing?
(a) The reader.
(b) The editor.
(c) The author.
(d) Both the editor and author.
4. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(b) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(c) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
(d) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
5. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
(a) It never works.
(b) It is worth a try to sell a book or article.
(c) It is the secret to selling a book.
(d) It is what gets writers through the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a writer become better at his craft?
2. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
3. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
4. Should exclamation points be used in serious writing?
5. Where is there an opportunity for great creative writing?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)