|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
(a) Criticism is harder to write about because it tends to be less attractive than other writing.
(b) Only those able to understand the arts can write about them, and very little people can.
(c) Criticism writers are no different. They still need to use the same basic rules of writing.
(d) Criticism need to be stronger at literary elements because they need to recreate a scene or a song in the imagination of their readers with words only.
2. What advice does Zinsser give to employees who want to change business writing?
(a) Complain to HR.
(b) Take their concerns to the board.
(c) Write the way they want regardless of what their bosses say.
(d) Keep trying to change it and make it better.
3. What should the lead in the first sentence do for a reader?
(a) It should introduce the article informatively and let the reader know it will be a good read.
(b) It should capture the reader and force him or her to keep reading.
(c) It should tell the reader very little about the article, so he or she will continue reading.
(d) It should be very basic to hook in all types of readers.
4. What is the main thing readers think when starting an article?
(a) They want to know how long it will take them to read the article.
(b) They want to know how soon they will find the answer to the original thesis question of an article.
(c) They want to know whether it is worth it to read the article.
(d) They want to know whether the writer is credible or not.
5. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
(a) Yes, people are born to write.
(b) No, the craft always gets better with time.
(c) A good writer
(d) No, good writers have to be taught.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a writer become better at his craft?
2. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
3. What is unity in writing?
4. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
5. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)