|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
(a) They tend to write confusing articles that do not interest anyone.
(b) They don't research enough.
(c) They want to be the final experts and turn away viable information that would change their articles.
(d) Nonfiction writers tend to want to say the last word on a subject, which covers too much ground.
2. What is the old view of nonfiction?
(a) That it is all commentary that means nothing to anyone but the writer.
(b) That it is the only respectable form of writing.
(c) That it is only journalism which isn't a respectable form of writing.
(d) That it is the best form of writing because it is factual and real.
3. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
(a) It brings up related memories that were pushed into the subconsious.
(b) Nothing but write about everything he or she thinks about daily.
(c) It brings back bad memories that the person tried to forget.
(d) It forces them to talk to distant relatives they hate.
4. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
(a) Literature anthologies.
(b) Television captions.
(c) Instruction manuals.
(d) Political Journals.
5. Why do writers need to stick to rules?
(a) To impress their teachers with their adherance to rules.
(b) Writers need to stick to rules because readers expect them to.
(c) In order to get taken seriously and get picked up by an agent.
(d) To get a copy past their editors on time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Can a writer simply write the article with one interview?
2. What should every paragraph end with?
3. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
4. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
5. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)