|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
(a) English isn't an easy language and is not easy to write at all.
(b) It has strict rules that makes it impossible to stray.
(c) There are very limited words, so there is no need to find alternatives, which cuts time in half.
(d) It is rich with words.
2. How is humor used in writing nonfiction?
(a) It is used to make fun of people without them every knowing.
(b) It is never used. Nonfiction should always be serious.
(c) It is used to bring out points that cannot be made in a straight forward manner.
(d) It is used to practice jokes for stand up comedians.
3. Literature was once considered solely as what?
(a) Great novels.
(b) Historical pieces.
(c) Writing by only certain authors.
(d) Fiction only.
4. Do good writers decorate their writing?
(a) No, good writers dont need ornamentation.
(b) Yes, with good punctuation.
(c) Yes, always with lots of extra words.
(d) No, only bad writers do this to sell more copies.
5. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
(a) 14 writers and poets.
(b) 104 writers, poets, editors, and teachers.
(c) 1000 writers, poets, and editors.
(d) 10 writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a common problem writers have?
2. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
3. What is an example of a hit book that was rejected several times?
4. How does a writer become better at his craft?
5. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)