|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Should exclamation points be used in serious writing?
(a) They should be used sparingly. One per paragraph is fine.
(b) Only serious writing has serious exclamation points. How else would people understand astonishment?
(c) They should be sprinkled into paragraphs like salt and pepper. The more the better.
(d) They should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
2. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They have bad grammar.
(b) They don't check their facts.
(c) They use too many euphemisms.
(d) They lie too much.
3. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(b) Provides easy word webs.
(c) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(d) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
4. Is there room for opinion when writing a sports article?
(a) Absolutely not.
(b) There is always room for commentary.
(c) Yes. Readers trust sports writers to make sports predictions about their favorite teams.
(d) Writers should limit commentary and stick to the stats.
5. Does skipping grammar check save a writer time?
(a) Yes. It is uneccessary since the editor can check grammer.
(b) No, they have to do line edits anyways to check grammar.
(c) No. It harms the writer, and makes more work for them and the editors.
(d) Yes, it is one less thing the writer has to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
2. How are writers like painters?
3. What method of writing does Zissner use?
4. How rigid are the lines between proper and improper English usage?
5. What is a major problem of business writing?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)