|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
(a) Yes, people are born to write.
(b) No, good writers have to be taught.
(c) A good writer
(d) No, the craft always gets better with time.
2. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
(a) State employees.
(d) Business writers.
3. What gives nonfiction books life?
(a) The cover of the book.
(b) White lies that sell certain facts.
(c) Pure hard facts.
(d) Humanity and warmth.
4. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
(a) It helps the writer compare their work to others.
(b) It allows writers to understand their own writing.
(c) Catches simple mistakes and clumsy constructions.
(d) It is a therapeutic process signifying the end of a story.
5. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
(a) When the wrting needs extra fluff.
(b) When writing evaluations and resumes.
(c) To follow solid writing.
(d) When the author needs to abide by editors remarks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs when business writing is bad?
2. What happens when a product of writing is never read?
3. What problem does a scientist have when writing about science?
4. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
5. What makes a good first sentence?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)