|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Zinsser's four articles of faith to writing well?
(a) Clarity, simplicity, brevity and humanity.
(b) Clarity, simplicity, elasticity and minimalism.
(c) Brevity, quick turnaround, clever sentences and little humanity.
(d) Simplicity, brevity, busy sentences and proper grammer.
2. What is the danger of overusing humor in writing?
(a) A writer's credibility will tank.
(b) A writer will not be taken seriously.
(c) Rejection from not being funny enough, or at all.
(d) It can get tiresome and jokes over time will become weaker.
3. Why do writers need to stick to rules?
(a) To impress their teachers with their adherance to rules.
(b) In order to get taken seriously and get picked up by an agent.
(c) Writers need to stick to rules because readers expect them to.
(d) To get a copy past their editors on time.
4. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
(a) To follow solid writing.
(b) When writing evaluations and resumes.
(c) When the author needs to abide by editors remarks.
(d) When the wrting needs extra fluff.
5. What happens when writers do not stick to proper grammar rules?
(a) It makes readers believe that all writing is bad, and they won't ever read again.
(b) It makes readers mad.
(c) It creates more bad writers.
(d) It distracts the readers and show conempt for the language.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
2. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
3. Why is it important for writers to stick to industry standards?
4. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
5. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)