|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the old view of nonfiction?
(a) That it is all commentary that means nothing to anyone but the writer.
(b) That it is only journalism which isn't a respectable form of writing.
(c) That it is the best form of writing because it is factual and real.
(d) That it is the only respectable form of writing.
2. Cliche words should be avoided at all costs. What else should be avoided?
(a) Cliched details.
(b) Assuming the writer has already been to a place.
(c) Overly describing a single place.
(d) Not describing a place enough.
3. What does Zissner say is a common desire of every writer?
(a) To pay perfect attention to detail.
(b) To take the long route to everything.
(c) To mae sure grammar is perfect.
(d) To find shortcuts.
4. Writers should always look for ________________.
(a) Making places more accessible to other people.
(b) Things that relate places to another.
(c) People to tell them about a place so they don't have to actually go anywhere.
(d) The unique aspects of a place.
5. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
(a) He likes reading memoirs about other writers and their experiences.
(b) He does not read memoirs.
(c) He only reads novels.
(d) He likes reading immigrant memoirs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
2. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
3. Who do authors please first with their writing?
4. What ability do great authors have?
5. What problem does a scientist have when writing about science?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)