|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it so hard to write about places?
(a) Two people never see a place the same way.
(b) It is hard to translate what the eyes see.
(c) Writers tend to fall into cliches, especially when writing about well known places.
(d) Places change over time and it is hard to stay true to the general feel of a place.
2. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He reads everything aloud.
(b) He has his wife read his work.
(c) He submits his writing to his family.
(d) He edits everything three times.
3. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
(a) Style and sentence structure.
(b) Style and substance.
(c) Substance and exaggerating adjectives.
(d) Information and substance.
4. Do good writers decorate their writing?
(a) No, only bad writers do this to sell more copies.
(b) Yes, with good punctuation.
(c) No, good writers dont need ornamentation.
(d) Yes, always with lots of extra words.
5. What should every paragraph end with?
(a) All paragraphs should repeat the first sentence.
(b) Every paragraph needs to have a hook or a cliffhanger that will lead the reader into the next paragraph.
(c) Every paragraph should end with a period.
(d) All paragraphs should end with a summary of the entire paragraph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is jargon, or corporate speak, so prevalent in business writing?
2. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
3. What is a major problem of business writing?
4. What is a misconception about writers and scientists?
5. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)