|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Zinsser give to employees who want to change business writing?
(a) Keep trying to change it and make it better.
(b) Write the way they want regardless of what their bosses say.
(c) Complain to HR.
(d) Take their concerns to the board.
2. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
(a) It forces them to talk to distant relatives they hate.
(b) Nothing but write about everything he or she thinks about daily.
(c) It brings back bad memories that the person tried to forget.
(d) It brings up related memories that were pushed into the subconsious.
3. What period of writing constantly used semicolons?
(a) The 17th century.
(b) Only 18th century England.
(c) All modern writing uses semicolons constantly.
(d) The 19th century.
4. Why is jargon, or corporate speak, so prevalent in business writing?
(a) It is prevalent because subordinates think that the executives want jargon-filled writing in order to sound more professional.
(b) There is a lack of writing skills learned in college because all the focus is on business.
(c) People lose their ability to write when they take a job since they stop writing.
(d) It is the industry standard.
5. Who is rivaling everything that Zissner is saying?
(a) A student in the audience.
(b) A doctor who writes for a hobby.
(c) Another writer.
(d) The professor of the class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
2. What is an example of a dead language?
3. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
4. How does a writer become better at his craft?
5. Why should interview questions be written before the interview?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)