|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a natural inclination for writers when they start a piece?
(a) Writers assume readers know nothing about what they are writing about.
(b) They ramble through an unnecessary introduction.
(c) They don't give enough background information.
(d) They assume the readers know what they are writing about.
2. Literature was once considered solely as what?
(a) Great novels.
(b) Fiction only.
(c) Writing by only certain authors.
(d) Historical pieces.
3. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
(a) When people say they can write a book as if it is easy.
(b) When people dog ear the pages of a book.
(c) When people leave the toilet seat up.
(d) When people write in their books.
4. Should exclamation points be used in serious writing?
(a) They should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
(b) They should be used sparingly. One per paragraph is fine.
(c) They should be sprinkled into paragraphs like salt and pepper. The more the better.
(d) Only serious writing has serious exclamation points. How else would people understand astonishment?
5. What is an example of a hit book that was rejected several times?
(a) Eleven on Top.
(b) Jurassic Park.
(c) Pride and Prejudice.
(d) Harry Potter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
2. How does Zissner have the ability to choose words for the American Heritage Dictionary?
3. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
4. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
5. Why is the above a problem?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)