|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
(a) He is modern when it comes to English, but would rather keep it simple.
(b) He accepts some, but not all.
(c) He is very welcoming of a transforming English language.
(d) He is very conservative and will never cross a proper word line.
2. What are two tools every writer should use?
(a) Spell check and grammar check.
(b) Spell check and dictionary.
(c) Thesaraus and dictionary.
(d) Thesaraus and grammar check.
3. What problem does a scientist have when writing about science?
(a) Using jargon that only scientists can understand.
(b) Formatting simple sentences.
(c) He or she forgets to be human, and writes strictly about the science.
(d) Not following basic grammar rules.
4. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
(a) They are not complex enough.
(b) They are bad at fact checking.
(c) Their minds are too cluttered.
(d) They do too much and slack on their writing.
5. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They have bad grammar.
(b) They don't check their facts.
(c) They lie too much.
(d) They use too many euphemisms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
2. What is the purpose of colons?
3. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
4. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
5. Why is the above a problem?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)