|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What period of writing constantly used semicolons?
(a) Only 18th century England.
(b) All modern writing uses semicolons constantly.
(c) The 19th century.
(d) The 17th century.
2. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
(a) It isn't more popular, it is just more widespread.
(b) Entertainment alternatives makes nonfiction more popular, even if it is a trend.
(c) It is what modern editors like to read.
(d) It is more entertaining since it is true.
3. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
(a) Corporate memos or technical writing.
(b) In English class.
(c) Online writing.
(d) In the newspaper.
4. What is one way of saving time?
(a) Solely relying on grammar and spell check.
(b) Not doing a story outline.
(c) Learning to write over eighty words per minute.
(d) Skipping spell check.
5. Does skipping grammar check save a writer time?
(a) Yes, it is one less thing the writer has to do.
(b) Yes. It is uneccessary since the editor can check grammer.
(c) No, they have to do line edits anyways to check grammar.
(d) No. It harms the writer, and makes more work for them and the editors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author talking to at the beginning of the book?
2. How does a writer become better at his craft?
3. Why is the English language changing all the time?
4. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
5. What is a second approach Zinsser recommends that complements the first approach mentioned?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)