|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the best aspects of a good story?
(a) Clarity and writing skill.
(b) Good research.
(c) Writing skill.
2. How much research does Zinsser recommend for an article?
(a) He recommends finding much more information than is needed for the article.
(b) He recommends finding just enough to make a word count.
(c) He recommends finding the bare minimum and bulking an article up with adjectives.
(d) He recommends using at least three full length books for a one page article.
3. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
(a) People don't like reading memoires.
(b) Memoires don't sell well enough.
(c) Editors hate reading memoirs therefore don't pick them up.
(d) An attitude to please teachers and not readers.
4. What is the problem with American writing?
(a) It isn't complex enough.
(b) The writing is too sloppy.
(c) Americans are bad at fact checking.
(d) It is too complex.
5. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
(a) Reading under a blacklight.
(b) Reading through a window.
(c) Reading a story upside down.
(d) Reading a piece backwards.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
2. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
3. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
4. Why does Zissner advise his clients to worry about the marketplace last?
5. Where should the writer find his or her words?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)