|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where should the writer find his or her words?
(a) From modern euphanisms that people can relate to.
(b) From within the subconscious to the writing consciousness
(c) From a thesaraus.
(d) From a dictionary.
2. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
(b) Takes writing classes often.
(c) Participates in writing workshops.
(d) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
3. What occurs when business writing is bad?
(a) People will get fired for bad writing.
(b) Customers will go elsewhere to buy their goods and services.
(c) Executives get fired for pawning off simple writing tasks.
(d) Investors will agree to terms they do not understand.
4. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The history of words.
(b) The written scripts.
(c) The sound of words.
(d) The biology of words.
5. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
(a) It starts whenever the writer is ready to start.
(b) It starts before interviewing to set up the article paragraphs.
(c) It starts when the interviewing process and research is complete.
(d) It starts before the interview but after the research.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the transaction in writing?
2. Who is the author talking to at the beginning of the book?
3. What should writers focus on when writing travel pieces?
4. How much research does Zinsser recommend for an article?
5. Cliche words should be avoided at all costs. What else should be avoided?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)