|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They have bad grammar.
(b) They don't check their facts.
(c) They lie too much.
(d) They use too many euphemisms.
2. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
(a) THe point of view should be determined once the writing is finished and ready for editing.
(b) It doesn't matter when the point of view is established.
(c) A writer should determine the point of view before writing a new piece.
(d) The point of view can be determined after the writer figures out who will be the main character.
3. What does Zissner say is a common desire of every writer?
(a) To pay perfect attention to detail.
(b) To mae sure grammar is perfect.
(c) To find shortcuts.
(d) To take the long route to everything.
4. What is a misconception about writers and scientists?
(a) It is that writers cannot do science and scientists cannot write.
(b) Scientists are smarter than writers.
(c) Writers are more creative that scientists.
(d) Writers are better than scientists.
5. What are Zinsser's four articles of faith to writing well?
(a) Clarity, simplicity, brevity and humanity.
(b) Brevity, quick turnaround, clever sentences and little humanity.
(c) Clarity, simplicity, elasticity and minimalism.
(d) Simplicity, brevity, busy sentences and proper grammer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zinsser's preferred method for interviewing?
2. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
3. What is Zissner's point of view on the debate between literature and journalism?
4. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
5. What gives nonfiction books life?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)