|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
(a) They are bad at fact checking.
(b) They are not complex enough.
(c) They do too much and slack on their writing.
(d) Their minds are too cluttered.
2. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
(a) Normal Mailer and Virginia Wolfe.
(b) Sylvia Plath and Jane Austen.
(c) Virginia Woolfe and Sylvia Plath.
(d) Norman Mailer and Tom Wolfe.
3. How does Zissner have the ability to choose words for the American Heritage Dictionary?
(a) He is on the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel
(b) He is related to someone on the panel.
(c) He created the Dictionary.
(d) He works for the American Heritage Dictionary
4. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
(a) He is very welcoming of a transforming English language.
(b) He is very conservative and will never cross a proper word line.
(c) He accepts some, but not all.
(d) He is modern when it comes to English, but would rather keep it simple.
5. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
(a) He only reads novels.
(b) He likes reading immigrant memoirs.
(c) He does not read memoirs.
(d) He likes reading memoirs about other writers and their experiences.
Short Answer Questions
1. Good writing is ______________.
2. Why does this misconception exist?
3. Which is the simplest sentence?
4. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
5. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)