|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 16 Business Writing: Writing in Your Job.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
(a) It is important so that verbs don't get confused with nouns.
(b) Very tense consistency is important so that the reader does not become lost in the timing of events.
(c) It is important for the development of characters, and to set up a plot.
(d) It is important for slower readers to follow along.
2. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
(a) 10 writers.
(b) 104 writers, poets, editors, and teachers.
(c) 14 writers and poets.
(d) 1000 writers, poets, and editors.
3. What are the best aspects of a good story?
(a) Good research.
(c) Writing skill.
(d) Clarity and writing skill.
4. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
(a) It never works.
(b) It is worth a try to sell a book or article.
(c) It is what gets writers through the door.
(d) It is the secret to selling a book.
5. What is a major job of a nonfiction writer?
(a) Conducting interviews with people who know about the writing project subject.
(b) Taking on a project with a clean slate. Just like a jury in a legal battle.
(c) Learning as much as possible about a subject before taking on a project.
(d) Majoring in the subject they will write about.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
2. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
3. What problem does a scientist have when writing about science?
4. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
5. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)