|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 11 Nonfiction as Literature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes a good first sentence?
(a) A good first sentence has a good lead. A good lead is one that works.
(b) A good ending is best to tie up the first sentence.
(c) The first sentence only sets up the second sentence. That is the one writers should focus on.
(d) A good first sentence needs to be written with exceptional grammer.
2. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
(a) They lose the interest of the reader.
(b) Their writing doesn't make sense.
(c) They don't get published.
(d) Their book gets tagged as abstract literature and nobody ever reads it.
3. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
(a) The voice is the authority figure in a nonfiction piece.
(b) Mood or voice is the way the characters speak to one another.
(c) Mood or voice is the way a piece sounds to the reader in the imaginations inner ear.
(d) The mood is the way the characters feel in a piece.
4. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
(a) It causes writer's to think about the reader.
(b) It makes it easier for people to relate to.
(c) It brings out the natural voice.
(d) It creates a teacher student relationship.
5. What is the main thing readers think when starting an article?
(a) They want to know how soon they will find the answer to the original thesis question of an article.
(b) They want to know how long it will take them to read the article.
(c) They want to know whether the writer is credible or not.
(d) They want to know whether it is worth it to read the article.
Short Answer Questions
1. Literature was once considered solely as what?
2. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
3. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
4. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
5. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)