|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 11 Nonfiction as Literature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example of a dead language?
(a) Italian because there is only one country that speaks it.
(b) Chinese because it never changes.
(c) Spanish because its roots are disintegrating.
(d) Latin is dead because nobody speaks it anymore.
2. What gives nonfiction books life?
(a) Pure hard facts.
(b) The cover of the book.
(c) White lies that sell certain facts.
(d) Humanity and warmth.
3. Chapter 3 is about __________.
(a) Reducing clutter.
(c) Increasing the simplicity of writing.
4. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He edits everything three times.
(b) He reads everything aloud.
(c) He has his wife read his work.
(d) He submits his writing to his family.
5. What is an example of a hit book that was rejected several times?
(a) Eleven on Top.
(b) Jurassic Park.
(c) Harry Potter.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
2. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
3. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
4. What period of writing constantly used semicolons?
5. What attitude should writers embrace towards their editors?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)