|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 11 Nonfiction as Literature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an alternative way of showing astonishment in writing?
(a) Typing in asterisks with verbs like *gasp*.
(b) A well written sentence does not need excalamtion marks. The words themselves should be the intensity of the sentence.
(c) Writing in all caps.
(d) Writing in excessive dialogue where people and characters say they are astonished.
2. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The biology of words.
(b) The written scripts.
(c) The history of words.
(d) The sound of words.
3. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
(a) They don't research enough.
(b) Nonfiction writers tend to want to say the last word on a subject, which covers too much ground.
(c) They tend to write confusing articles that do not interest anyone.
(d) They want to be the final experts and turn away viable information that would change their articles.
4. What ability do great authors have?
(a) The ability to ignore rules of grammar.
(b) The ability to write whenever they want.
(c) The ability to get an inside on reading trends.
(d) The ability to write perfectley grammatical pieces.
5. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
(a) The reader not relating to them.
(b) Writing poorly.
(c) Stating where they live.
(d) Stating their true opinions, ideas, and judgments.
Short Answer Questions
1. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
2. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
3. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
4. Good writing is ______________.
5. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)