|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 11 Nonfiction as Literature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
(a) It causes writer's to think about the reader.
(b) It creates a teacher student relationship.
(c) It brings out the natural voice.
(d) It makes it easier for people to relate to.
2. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(b) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(c) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(d) Provides easy word webs.
3. How does a writer become better at his craft?
(a) By taking a writing class.
(b) By avoiding trashy novels.
(c) By taking initiative to improve every day.
(d) By reading everything.
4. Who is rivaling everything that Zissner is saying?
(a) The professor of the class.
(b) A student in the audience.
(c) A doctor who writes for a hobby.
(d) Another writer.
5. What is a dash useful for?
(a) Dashes act as pointers to a point and to set off parenthetical statementes.
(b) Dashes are good in place of exclamations.
(c) Dashes are good to separate thoughts.
(d) Dashes are good to connect complex sentences.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
2. Who do authors please first with their writing?
3. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
4. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
5. What are two tools every writer should use?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)