|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 11 Nonfiction as Literature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
(a) 1000 writers, poets, and editors.
(b) 104 writers, poets, editors, and teachers.
(c) 14 writers and poets.
(d) 10 writers.
2. What has literature transformed into?
(a) Literature now includes nonfiction and fiction alike.
(b) Literature now includes poetry.
(c) Literature is still mainly novels,and very rarely includes other writing.
(d) Literature has not transformed at all.
3. What is the problem with American writing?
(a) It is too complex.
(b) The writing is too sloppy.
(c) Americans are bad at fact checking.
(d) It isn't complex enough.
4. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
(a) Combination third and first.
(b) Second person.
(c) Third person.
(d) First person.
5. Why is the above a problem?
(a) Writers need to start at the end and work their way up.
(b) Writers end up editing too much.
(c) Writers don't put enough effort into their writing.
(d) Usually the first two or three paragraphs of a piece can be cut.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where should the writer find his or her words?
2. Why does the doctor write?
3. How does a writer become better at his craft?
4. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
5. What are some limitations of perfect grammar?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)