|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 11 Nonfiction as Literature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main thing required to being a good writer?
(a) Good editing.
(b) Hard work.
(d) All answers are correct.
2. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
(b) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
(c) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
(d) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
3. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
(a) It is important for slower readers to follow along.
(b) It is important so that verbs don't get confused with nouns.
(c) Very tense consistency is important so that the reader does not become lost in the timing of events.
(d) It is important for the development of characters, and to set up a plot.
4. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
(a) Yes, people are born to write.
(b) No, the craft always gets better with time.
(c) No, good writers have to be taught.
(d) A good writer
5. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
(b) Takes writing classes often.
(c) Participates in writing workshops.
(d) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
2. What are two tools every writer should use?
3. Who is rivaling everything that Zissner is saying?
4. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
5. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)