|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 11 Nonfiction as Literature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He has his wife read his work.
(b) He submits his writing to his family.
(c) He edits everything three times.
(d) He reads everything aloud.
2. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
(a) A good writer
(b) Yes, people are born to write.
(c) No, good writers have to be taught.
(d) No, the craft always gets better with time.
3. What ability do great authors have?
(a) The ability to get an inside on reading trends.
(b) The ability to write perfectley grammatical pieces.
(c) The ability to write whenever they want.
(d) The ability to ignore rules of grammar.
4. Chapter 3 is about __________.
(b) Reducing clutter.
(c) Increasing the simplicity of writing.
5. Why is the above a problem?
(a) Writers need to start at the end and work their way up.
(b) Usually the first two or three paragraphs of a piece can be cut.
(c) Writers don't put enough effort into their writing.
(d) Writers end up editing too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the reader loses interest in the writing?
2. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
3. What should every paragraph end with?
4. What should the lead in the first sentence do for a reader?
5. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)