|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 11 Nonfiction as Literature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Zissner advise his clients to worry about the marketplace last?
(a) Because nobody knows what is going to sell.
(b) Because the marketplace never changes.
(c) Because the marketplace always needs books and will take anything.
(d) Writing a good piece for the marketplace is easy when they know what sells.
2. Why is it important to narrow down a nonfiction piece?
(a) Articles should not drain the writer and reader. Focusing on a corner is better than redefining an entire room.
(b) One person cannot write an article about every aspect of something. That is what books are for.
(c) It isn't important. People just want to look at pictures anyways.
(d) It isn't that important. It just sells better to magazines to be focused.
3. What is the problem with American writing?
(a) It isn't complex enough.
(b) The writing is too sloppy.
(c) It is too complex.
(d) Americans are bad at fact checking.
4. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
(a) Not knowing what they want to say.
(b) Not having enough experience.
(c) Not taking any writing classes.
(d) Not having brainstormed enough.
5. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(b) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(c) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
(d) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
Short Answer Questions
1. What method of writing does Zissner use?
2. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
3. What makes a good first sentence?
4. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
5. What is an example of a hit book that was rejected several times?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)