|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 9 The Lead and the Ending.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
(a) THe point of view should be determined once the writing is finished and ready for editing.
(b) It doesn't matter when the point of view is established.
(c) The point of view can be determined after the writer figures out who will be the main character.
(d) A writer should determine the point of view before writing a new piece.
2. What should every paragraph end with?
(a) All paragraphs should repeat the first sentence.
(b) Every paragraph should end with a period.
(c) All paragraphs should end with a summary of the entire paragraph.
(d) Every paragraph needs to have a hook or a cliffhanger that will lead the reader into the next paragraph.
3. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
(b) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(c) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
(d) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
4. Why is it important to narrow down a nonfiction piece?
(a) It isn't that important. It just sells better to magazines to be focused.
(b) One person cannot write an article about every aspect of something. That is what books are for.
(c) Articles should not drain the writer and reader. Focusing on a corner is better than redefining an entire room.
(d) It isn't important. People just want to look at pictures anyways.
5. What are Zissner's feelings about writing?
(a) Writing is difficult, but with the right tools, anyone can do it.
(b) Writing is easy and anyone can do it.
(c) Writing is a craft that is developed over time.
(d) Writing can easily be taught.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
2. Who is rivaling everything that Zissner is saying?
3. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
4. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
5. Why does the doctor write?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)