|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 9 The Lead and the Ending.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the problem with American writing?
(a) It is too complex.
(b) Americans are bad at fact checking.
(c) It isn't complex enough.
(d) The writing is too sloppy.
2. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They use too many euphemisms.
(b) They don't check their facts.
(c) They have bad grammar.
(d) They lie too much.
3. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) No, it has gotten worse.
(b) No, it is the same.
(c) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
(d) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
4. Who is the author talking to at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is talking to his mother.
(b) He is talking with his editor.
(c) He is presenting to student writers at a Connecticut school.
(d) He is talking to his wife.
5. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
(a) People only pay attention to short articles.
(b) They have a limited number of column inches and word limits.
(c) It make their writing easier to read.
(d) It is easier to sell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
2. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
3. What should every paragraph end with?
4. What is an example of a dead language?
5. Chapter 3 is about __________.
This section contains 329 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)