|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 9 The Lead and the Ending.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
(a) 14 writers and poets.
(b) 104 writers, poets, editors, and teachers.
(c) 1000 writers, poets, and editors.
(d) 10 writers.
2. Do good writers decorate their writing?
(a) Yes, always with lots of extra words.
(b) No, good writers dont need ornamentation.
(c) Yes, with good punctuation.
(d) No, only bad writers do this to sell more copies.
3. What ability do great authors have?
(a) The ability to ignore rules of grammar.
(b) The ability to write perfectley grammatical pieces.
(c) The ability to get an inside on reading trends.
(d) The ability to write whenever they want.
4. Can good writing be taught?
(a) Of course it can.
(b) It cannot, but it can be learned.
(c) Only good students can learn good writing.
(d) Only good teachers can teach good writing.
5. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
(a) Catches simple mistakes and clumsy constructions.
(b) It allows writers to understand their own writing.
(c) It helps the writer compare their work to others.
(d) It is a therapeutic process signifying the end of a story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zissner advise his clients to worry about the marketplace last?
2. What attitude should writers embrace towards their editors?
3. What are some limitations of perfect grammar?
4. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
5. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)