|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 9 The Lead and the Ending.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
(a) Their book gets tagged as abstract literature and nobody ever reads it.
(b) They lose the interest of the reader.
(c) They don't get published.
(d) Their writing doesn't make sense.
2. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
(a) The point of view can be determined after the writer figures out who will be the main character.
(b) THe point of view should be determined once the writing is finished and ready for editing.
(c) It doesn't matter when the point of view is established.
(d) A writer should determine the point of view before writing a new piece.
3. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
(b) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
(c) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
(d) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
4. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
(a) It is what gets writers through the door.
(b) It is the secret to selling a book.
(c) It is worth a try to sell a book or article.
(d) It never works.
5. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
(a) A good writer
(b) No, the craft always gets better with time.
(c) Yes, people are born to write.
(d) No, good writers have to be taught.
Short Answer Questions
1. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
2. Good writing is ______________.
3. Which is the simplest sentence?
4. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
5. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)