|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 9 The Lead and the Ending.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
(a) It is important for the development of characters, and to set up a plot.
(b) It is important for slower readers to follow along.
(c) It is important so that verbs don't get confused with nouns.
(d) Very tense consistency is important so that the reader does not become lost in the timing of events.
2. How does a writer become better at his craft?
(a) By avoiding trashy novels.
(b) By taking a writing class.
(c) By reading everything.
(d) By taking initiative to improve every day.
3. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
4. What is the biggest mistake a writer can make when creating sentences?
(a) Overediting sentences.
(b) Not reading their sentences aloud.
(c) Packing in too much information into one sentence.
(d) Not creating sentences that readers want to read.
5. Why does Zissner advise his clients to worry about the marketplace last?
(a) Because the marketplace never changes.
(b) Because the marketplace always needs books and will take anything.
(c) Writing a good piece for the marketplace is easy when they know what sells.
(d) Because nobody knows what is going to sell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
2. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
3. What is an example of a dead language?
4. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
5. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)