|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 9 The Lead and the Ending.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the best aspects of a good story?
(a) Clarity and writing skill.
(c) Good research.
(d) Writing skill.
2. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
(a) Mood or voice is the way the characters speak to one another.
(b) The mood is the way the characters feel in a piece.
(c) The voice is the authority figure in a nonfiction piece.
(d) Mood or voice is the way a piece sounds to the reader in the imaginations inner ear.
3. What should the lead in the first sentence do for a reader?
(a) It should introduce the article informatively and let the reader know it will be a good read.
(b) It should tell the reader very little about the article, so he or she will continue reading.
(c) It should capture the reader and force him or her to keep reading.
(d) It should be very basic to hook in all types of readers.
4. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
(a) It keeps books smaller and people like smaller books.
(b) It keeps the meaning of the story clear and the prose worth the reader's time.
(c) It highlights the impotant parts of the story.
(d) It keeps people's attention longer.
5. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
(b) To sound out simple syllables.
(c) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
(d) To sound out simple sentences.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the above a problem?
2. Good writing is ______________.
3. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
4. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
5. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)