|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part II: Chapter 9 The Lead and the Ending.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the author talking to at the beginning of the book?
(a) He is talking to his wife.
(b) He is talking to his mother.
(c) He is presenting to student writers at a Connecticut school.
(d) He is talking with his editor.
2. Where should the writer find his or her words?
(a) From a dictionary.
(b) From modern euphanisms that people can relate to.
(c) From a thesaraus.
(d) From within the subconscious to the writing consciousness
3. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
(a) Political Journals.
(b) Instruction manuals.
(c) Television captions.
(d) Literature anthologies.
4. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The biology of words.
(b) The written scripts.
(c) The sound of words.
(d) The history of words.
5. What is one way of saving time?
(a) Skipping spell check.
(b) Learning to write over eighty words per minute.
(c) Not doing a story outline.
(d) Solely relying on grammar and spell check.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an example of a dead language?
2. What should every paragraph end with?
3. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
4. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
5. Who do authors please first with their writing?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)