|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 6 Words.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
2. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
(a) When people leave the toilet seat up.
(b) When people write in their books.
(c) When people dog ear the pages of a book.
(d) When people say they can write a book as if it is easy.
3. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
(b) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
(c) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
(d) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
4. What are some limitations of perfect grammar?
(a) Good grammer makes for boring writing.
(b) Some writers don't have perfect grammar and therefore cannot get published.
(c) Lack of expressionism when grammar is perfect.
(d) Hindering points, establishing author moods, and painting word pictures.
5. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(b) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(c) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(d) Provides easy word webs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where should the writer find his or her words?
2. What does Zissner say is a common desire of every writer?
3. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
4. What ability do great authors have?
5. What gives nonfiction books life?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)