|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 6 Words.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
(b) The marketplace.
2. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
(a) A good writer
(b) Yes, people are born to write.
(c) No, good writers have to be taught.
(d) No, the craft always gets better with time.
3. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
(a) No, it has to be manipulated.
(b) Yes, so long as the writing is really dense.
(c) Yes, so long as the writing is filled with rich prose.
(d) No, it has to be genuine.
4. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He submits his writing to his family.
(b) He edits everything three times.
(c) He has his wife read his work.
(d) He reads everything aloud.
5. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
(b) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
(c) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
(d) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author talking to at the beginning of the book?
2. How does a writer become better at his craft?
3. What gives nonfiction books life?
4. What happens when the reader loses interest in the writing?
5. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)