|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 6 Words.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They lie too much.
(b) They use too many euphemisms.
(c) They don't check their facts.
(d) They have bad grammar.
2. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
(b) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
(c) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
(d) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
3. Why is the above a problem?
(a) Writers don't put enough effort into their writing.
(b) Writers end up editing too much.
(c) Usually the first two or three paragraphs of a piece can be cut.
(d) Writers need to start at the end and work their way up.
4. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
(a) Literature anthologies.
(b) Television captions.
(c) Political Journals.
(d) Instruction manuals.
5. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
(a) Yes, so long as the writing is really dense.
(b) No, it has to be manipulated.
(c) No, it has to be genuine.
(d) Yes, so long as the writing is filled with rich prose.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the doctor write?
2. Who is the real audience in a piece of writing?
3. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
4. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
5. What is a common problem writers have?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)