|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 6 Words.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the simplest sentence?
(a) Simplicity is opporite clutter.
(b) Simplicity is the opposite of clutter.
(c) Simplicity is the direct opposite of clutter.
2. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
(a) People only pay attention to short articles.
(b) They have a limited number of column inches and word limits.
(c) It is easier to sell.
(d) It make their writing easier to read.
3. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
(a) Their book gets tagged as abstract literature and nobody ever reads it.
(b) They don't get published.
(c) They lose the interest of the reader.
(d) Their writing doesn't make sense.
4. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He edits everything three times.
(b) He submits his writing to his family.
(c) He reads everything aloud.
(d) He has his wife read his work.
5. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
(a) When people dog ear the pages of a book.
(b) When people leave the toilet seat up.
(c) When people write in their books.
(d) When people say they can write a book as if it is easy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author talking to at the beginning of the book?
2. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
3. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
4. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
5. What gives nonfiction books life?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)