|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 6 Words.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
(a) In English class.
(b) Corporate memos or technical writing.
(c) In the newspaper.
(d) Online writing.
2. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
(a) They are not complex enough.
(b) They do too much and slack on their writing.
(c) Their minds are too cluttered.
(d) They are bad at fact checking.
3. What are Zissner's feelings about writing?
(a) Writing is difficult, but with the right tools, anyone can do it.
(b) Writing is easy and anyone can do it.
(c) Writing can easily be taught.
(d) Writing is a craft that is developed over time.
4. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) World War II.
(d) Spanish Civil War.
5. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
(a) To follow solid writing.
(b) When writing evaluations and resumes.
(c) When the author needs to abide by editors remarks.
(d) When the wrting needs extra fluff.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
2. Why does Zissner advise his clients to worry about the marketplace last?
3. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
4. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
5. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)