|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 6 Words.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) Provides easy word webs.
(b) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(c) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(d) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
2. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
(b) No, it is the same.
(c) No, it has gotten worse.
(d) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
3. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
4. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
(a) It helps the writer compare their work to others.
(b) Catches simple mistakes and clumsy constructions.
(c) It allows writers to understand their own writing.
(d) It is a therapeutic process signifying the end of a story.
5. What is the transaction in writing?
(a) How much a writer gives of themselves rather than of facts.
(b) How much facts a writer uses.
(c) The bookbuying process.
(d) How much a writer talks about themselves.
Short Answer Questions
1. A musician must practice scales, and a writer must practice ______________.
2. What is a common problem writers have?
3. What is the main thing required to being a good writer?
4. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
5. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)