|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a writer become better at his craft?
(a) By avoiding trashy novels.
(b) By taking a writing class.
(c) By taking initiative to improve every day.
(d) By reading everything.
2. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
(a) World War II.
(b) Spanish Civil War.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) The Korean War.
3. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
(a) It keeps people's attention longer.
(b) It highlights the impotant parts of the story.
(c) It keeps books smaller and people like smaller books.
(d) It keeps the meaning of the story clear and the prose worth the reader's time.
4. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
(a) It brings out the natural voice.
(b) It causes writer's to think about the reader.
(c) It creates a teacher student relationship.
(d) It makes it easier for people to relate to.
5. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
(a) Not having brainstormed enough.
(b) Not having enough experience.
(c) Not knowing what they want to say.
(d) Not taking any writing classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the above a problem?
2. What are the best aspects of a good story?
3. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
4. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
5. What is the transaction in writing?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)