|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
(a) The reader not relating to them.
(b) Stating their true opinions, ideas, and judgments.
(c) Writing poorly.
(d) Stating where they live.
2. Why is the above a problem?
(a) Writers need to start at the end and work their way up.
(b) Writers end up editing too much.
(c) Writers don't put enough effort into their writing.
(d) Usually the first two or three paragraphs of a piece can be cut.
3. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
(a) Corporate memos or technical writing.
(b) In English class.
(c) In the newspaper.
(d) Online writing.
4. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
(a) They say they never liked the highlighting.
(b) They like it much better than red pen all over a paper.
(c) They hated it, and have nightmares about his style.
(d) They say then can still see the brackets.
5. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
(a) When people write in their books.
(b) When people leave the toilet seat up.
(c) When people dog ear the pages of a book.
(d) When people say they can write a book as if it is easy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
2. Which is the simplest sentence?
3. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
4. What is a common problem writers have?
5. Good writing is ______________.
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)