|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
(a) It brings out the natural voice.
(b) It creates a teacher student relationship.
(c) It causes writer's to think about the reader.
(d) It makes it easier for people to relate to.
2. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
(a) They are bad at fact checking.
(b) Their minds are too cluttered.
(c) They are not complex enough.
(d) They do too much and slack on their writing.
3. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(b) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(c) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(d) Because highlighting is easier to see.
4. What is a common problem writers have?
(a) Starting at the true beginning.
(b) Writing too little.
(c) Not writing at the same time every day.
(d) Writing too much at first.
5. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
(a) When the wrting needs extra fluff.
(b) When the author needs to abide by editors remarks.
(c) When writing evaluations and resumes.
(d) To follow solid writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a writer become better at his craft?
2. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
3. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
4. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
5. Good writing is ______________.
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)