|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
(a) It shows that people are ignorant.
(b) It reveals how easy it is to write a book.
(c) It shows that there are many talented people in the world.
(d) It reveals the misconception that writing is easy.
2. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
(a) Corporate memos or technical writing.
(b) In the newspaper.
(c) Online writing.
(d) In English class.
3. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(b) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(c) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(d) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
4. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
(b) No, it has gotten worse.
(c) No, it is the same.
(d) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
5. What gives nonfiction books life?
(a) The cover of the book.
(b) Humanity and warmth.
(c) White lies that sell certain facts.
(d) Pure hard facts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Good writing is ______________.
2. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
3. Why does the doctor write?
4. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
5. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)