|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
2. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
(a) A good writer
(b) No, the craft always gets better with time.
(c) No, good writers have to be taught.
(d) Yes, people are born to write.
3. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
(a) It causes writer's to think about the reader.
(b) It brings out the natural voice.
(c) It creates a teacher student relationship.
(d) It makes it easier for people to relate to.
4. What happens when a product of writing is never read?
(a) The author's reputation is harmed.
(b) It becomes worthless and a waste of good time.
(c) It gets burned.
(d) It gets categorized under the bad books section.
5. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
(a) Second person.
(b) Combination third and first.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person.
Short Answer Questions
1. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
2. What is a natural inclination for writers when they start a piece?
3. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
4. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
5. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)