|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Good writing is ______________.
(b) Very difficult.
(c) Seen often.
(d) Easy to teach.
2. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
(a) Not having brainstormed enough.
(b) Not knowing what they want to say.
(c) Not having enough experience.
(d) Not taking any writing classes.
3. Why is the above a problem?
(a) Writers need to start at the end and work their way up.
(b) Writers don't put enough effort into their writing.
(c) Usually the first two or three paragraphs of a piece can be cut.
(d) Writers end up editing too much.
4. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
(a) Writing poorly.
(b) Stating where they live.
(c) The reader not relating to them.
(d) Stating their true opinions, ideas, and judgments.
5. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
(a) Spanish Civil War.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
2. What happens when a product of writing is never read?
3. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
4. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
5. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)