|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
(a) Not having brainstormed enough.
(b) Not taking any writing classes.
(c) Not knowing what they want to say.
(d) Not having enough experience.
2. What method of writing does Zissner use?
(a) Bold paragraph approach.
(b) Cluster writing.
(c) New Journalism.
(d) Old Journalism.
3. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(b) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(c) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(d) Because highlighting is easier to see.
4. Does the author believe good writing is the result of an inherent talent?
(a) Yes, people are born to write.
(b) No, good writers have to be taught.
(c) A good writer
(d) No, the craft always gets better with time.
5. Why does the doctor write?
(a) He is writing a book.
(b) He writes because he hates being a surgeon.
(c) He writes to make extra money.
(d) He writes for fun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
2. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
3. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
4. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
5. What is a natural inclination for writers when they start a piece?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)