|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
(a) People only pay attention to short articles.
(b) It make their writing easier to read.
(c) It is easier to sell.
(d) They have a limited number of column inches and word limits.
2. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
(a) They do too much and slack on their writing.
(b) They are not complex enough.
(c) Their minds are too cluttered.
(d) They are bad at fact checking.
3. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
(a) Spanish Civil War.
(b) World War II.
(c) The Vietnam War.
(d) The Korean War.
4. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
(a) Not knowing what they want to say.
(b) Not taking any writing classes.
(c) Not having enough experience.
(d) Not having brainstormed enough.
5. What does Zissner think of gimmicky writing?
(a) It is what gets writers through the door.
(b) It never works.
(c) It is the secret to selling a book.
(d) It is worth a try to sell a book or article.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main thing required to being a good writer?
2. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
3. What is a common problem writers have?
4. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
5. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)