|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
(a) Not knowing what they want to say.
(b) Not taking any writing classes.
(c) Not having brainstormed enough.
(d) Not having enough experience.
2. What is a natural inclination for writers when they start a piece?
(a) Writers assume readers know nothing about what they are writing about.
(b) They ramble through an unnecessary introduction.
(c) They don't give enough background information.
(d) They assume the readers know what they are writing about.
3. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
(a) When writing evaluations and resumes.
(b) When the author needs to abide by editors remarks.
(c) When the wrting needs extra fluff.
(d) To follow solid writing.
4. Do good writers decorate their writing?
(a) Yes, always with lots of extra words.
(b) No, only bad writers do this to sell more copies.
(c) No, good writers dont need ornamentation.
(d) Yes, with good punctuation.
5. Which is the simplest sentence?
(a) Simplicity is the direct opposite of clutter.
(c) Simplicity is the opposite of clutter.
(d) Simplicity is opporite clutter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when the reader loses interest in the writing?
2. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
3. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
4. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
5. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)