|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 4 Style.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Zissner's feelings about writing?
(a) Writing can easily be taught.
(b) Writing is easy and anyone can do it.
(c) Writing is a craft that is developed over time.
(d) Writing is difficult, but with the right tools, anyone can do it.
2. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
(a) Yes, so long as the writing is filled with rich prose.
(b) No, it has to be manipulated.
(c) No, it has to be genuine.
(d) Yes, so long as the writing is really dense.
3. Can good writing be taught?
(a) Of course it can.
(b) It cannot, but it can be learned.
(c) Only good teachers can teach good writing.
(d) Only good students can learn good writing.
4. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
(a) It keeps books smaller and people like smaller books.
(b) It keeps people's attention longer.
(c) It highlights the impotant parts of the story.
(d) It keeps the meaning of the story clear and the prose worth the reader's time.
5. What happens when the reader loses interest in the writing?
(a) She throws the book.
(b) She writes a bad review.
(c) He puts down the book.
(d) The transaction between author and writer is broken.
Short Answer Questions
1. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
2. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
3. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
4. What are the best aspects of a good story?
5. What is a common problem writers have?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)