|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does Zinsser give to employees who want to change business writing?
(a) Complain to HR.
(b) Write the way they want regardless of what their bosses say.
(c) Take their concerns to the board.
(d) Keep trying to change it and make it better.
2. Good writing is ______________.
(a) Very difficult.
(c) Easy to teach.
(d) Seen often.
3. What is the purpose of colons?
(a) To start out a list of things without using list form.
(b) Colons are used to explain sentences.
(c) They can be used to separate a sentance and start another without having to capitalize the first word.
(d) They are good to use in place of quotations for dialogue.
4. What is a common problem writers have?
(a) Writing too little.
(b) Not writing at the same time every day.
(c) Starting at the true beginning.
(d) Writing too much at first.
5. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
(a) It keeps books smaller and people like smaller books.
(b) It keeps people's attention longer.
(c) It highlights the impotant parts of the story.
(d) It keeps the meaning of the story clear and the prose worth the reader's time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
2. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
3. What is Zinsser's preferred method for interviewing?
4. How rigid are the lines between proper and improper English usage?
5. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)