|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
(b) To sound out simple syllables.
(c) To sound out simple sentences.
(d) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
2. What is an alternative way of showing astonishment in writing?
(a) A well written sentence does not need excalamtion marks. The words themselves should be the intensity of the sentence.
(b) Writing in excessive dialogue where people and characters say they are astonished.
(c) Writing in all caps.
(d) Typing in asterisks with verbs like *gasp*.
3. How are writers like painters?
(a) Painters start with models and then learn to create in they own way. Writers use formulas then find their own voice.
(b) They both have the freedom of creativity with no rules that bind them.
(c) Writing isn't like painting at all. Neither has anything in common with the other.
(d) Writers and painters will destory their work if it is not to their expectations.
4. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
(a) It highlights the impotant parts of the story.
(b) It keeps people's attention longer.
(c) It keeps books smaller and people like smaller books.
(d) It keeps the meaning of the story clear and the prose worth the reader's time.
5. Which is the simplest sentence?
(a) Simplicity is opporite clutter.
(b) Simplicity is the opposite of clutter.
(c) Simplicity is the direct opposite of clutter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zinsser think about this misconception?
2. What is the problem with American writing?
3. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
4. What does the etymology of words mean?
5. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)