|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much information should a writer provide to his or her readers?
(a) Everything about the show that he or she felt was worthwhile.
(b) Enought to make a show worth seeing, without spoiling it for the readers and viewers.
(c) Only dates and times of the show with a thumbs up or down.
(d) Very little. Readers need to be left in the dark so they can go see a show on their own.
2. What is the best way to add humor into writing?
(a) Making a funny sentence sneak up on a reader to get an unexpected laugh.
(b) Making all funny lines italicized.
(c) Adding asterisks to funny lines.
(d) Making seperate paragraphs that only have the funny line in them.
3. What does Zinsser think about this misconception?
(a) He agrees with it and thinks scientists cannot write at all.
(b) He agrees with it and thinks writers can never understand complex scientific theories.
(c) He states anyone can write about anything if his approach is correct.
(d) He disagrees with it, but offers no reason why.
4. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(b) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
(c) To never second guess a story.
(d) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
5. What is a memoir?
(a) They can be about any life experience.
(b) They are books about other people written by ghostwriters.
(c) They are stories about immigrants.
(d) They are fiction peices about real people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a dash useful for?
2. Literature was once considered solely as what?
3. Why should interview questions be written before the interview?
4. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
5. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)