|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They don't check their facts.
(b) They use too many euphemisms.
(c) They have bad grammar.
(d) They lie too much.
2. Why is the English language changing all the time?
(a) It changes because people don't know how to speak it properly and are changing the way it is spoken.
(b) It changes because academics choose the best ways to speak English and try to teach that to children.
(c) It changes because it is a living language.
(d) It changes because of regional differences that make their way outwards.
3. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Participates in writing workshops.
(b) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(c) Takes writing classes often.
(d) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
4. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
(b) State employees.
(d) Business writers.
5. Where does a writer need to start to get his or her voice discovered?
(a) A writer needs to emulate other writers and see how they utlilize their voices in their writing.
(b) Sign up for a talent search.
(c) Go to a literary agent and ask how to get their voice out.
(d) Read stories aloud at poetry clubs or book clubs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
2. Why is it important to narrow down a nonfiction piece?
3. What is the best way to add humor into writing?
4. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
5. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)