|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
(a) Using cliches and made up words.
(b) Usin too many dashes.
(c) Using too many commas.
(d) Not doing grammar checks.
2. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
(a) It is important for slower readers to follow along.
(b) Very tense consistency is important so that the reader does not become lost in the timing of events.
(c) It is important so that verbs don't get confused with nouns.
(d) It is important for the development of characters, and to set up a plot.
3. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
(a) It reveals how easy it is to write a book.
(b) It shows that there are many talented people in the world.
(c) It reveals the misconception that writing is easy.
(d) It shows that people are ignorant.
4. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
(a) Instruction manuals.
(b) Television captions.
(c) Literature anthologies.
(d) Political Journals.
5. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
(a) Not having enough experience.
(b) Not having brainstormed enough.
(c) Not knowing what they want to say.
(d) Not taking any writing classes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do interviews do for the writer?
2. Do criticism writers need to take a stance on a show?
3. What is a major job of a nonfiction writer?
4. What happens when writers do not stick to proper grammar rules?
5. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)