|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
(a) 1000 writers, poets, and editors.
(b) 14 writers and poets.
(c) 104 writers, poets, editors, and teachers.
(d) 10 writers.
2. What is a memoir?
(a) They are books about other people written by ghostwriters.
(b) They can be about any life experience.
(c) They are fiction peices about real people.
(d) They are stories about immigrants.
3. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
(a) It has strict rules that makes it impossible to stray.
(b) English isn't an easy language and is not easy to write at all.
(c) It is rich with words.
(d) There are very limited words, so there is no need to find alternatives, which cuts time in half.
4. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
(a) Using cliches and made up words.
(b) Using too many commas.
(c) Usin too many dashes.
(d) Not doing grammar checks.
5. What does Zinsser think about this misconception?
(a) He agrees with it and thinks writers can never understand complex scientific theories.
(b) He agrees with it and thinks scientists cannot write at all.
(c) He disagrees with it, but offers no reason why.
(d) He states anyone can write about anything if his approach is correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
2. What are Zinsser's four articles of faith to writing well?
3. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
4. Why do writers need to stick to rules?
5. Why is the above a problem?
This section contains 394 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)