|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do people need to understand about science?
(a) It is easy to understand if given the chance.
(b) It is a foundation that needs to be built upon.
(c) It can be learned at any point in life.
(d) Only nerds can learn it.
2. What is the best way to learn to write with humor?
(a) Practice saying funny things aloud to friends and family.
(b) Read other humorous writing and emulate those styles.
(c) Hang out with funny people.
(d) Go to comedy shows.
3. Where does a writer need to start to get his or her voice discovered?
(a) Sign up for a talent search.
(b) A writer needs to emulate other writers and see how they utlilize their voices in their writing.
(c) Read stories aloud at poetry clubs or book clubs.
(d) Go to a literary agent and ask how to get their voice out.
4. What does Zinsser think about this misconception?
(a) He states anyone can write about anything if his approach is correct.
(b) He agrees with it and thinks scientists cannot write at all.
(c) He agrees with it and thinks writers can never understand complex scientific theories.
(d) He disagrees with it, but offers no reason why.
5. Why is the above a problem?
(a) Writers don't put enough effort into their writing.
(b) Writers need to start at the end and work their way up.
(c) Usually the first two or three paragraphs of a piece can be cut.
(d) Writers end up editing too much.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an example of American television shows that use humor to talk about serious issues?
2. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
3. What is the danger of overusing humor in writing?
4. What is the problem with American writing?
5. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)