|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Takes writing classes often.
(b) Participates in writing workshops.
(c) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(d) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
2. What is a memoir?
(a) They are books about other people written by ghostwriters.
(b) They are stories about immigrants.
(c) They are fiction peices about real people.
(d) They can be about any life experience.
3. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
(a) Stating their true opinions, ideas, and judgments.
(b) The reader not relating to them.
(c) Writing poorly.
(d) Stating where they live.
4. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
(b) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
(c) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
(d) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
5. Do criticism writers need to take a stance on a show?
(a) No, that should be left up to the audience.
(b) Yes, but they should mind their wording to not offend those in the show.
(c) Absolutely. They have the power to make or break a show.
(d) Opinions should always be left out of writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a major job of a nonfiction writer?
2. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
3. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
4. How are writers like painters?
5. What do people need to understand about science?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)