|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) World War II.
(c) Spanish Civil War.
(d) The Korean War.
2. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
(a) To learn how to write.
(b) To emulate their heroes.
(c) To study the market.
(d) To learn from other writers' mistakes.
3. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
(b) Business writers.
(c) State employees.
4. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
(a) The writer does not have to do any interviews.
(b) The main subject is already known.
(c) The writer does not have to pay attention to basic grammar rules.
(d) They are lax and impersonal.
5. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He has his wife read his work.
(b) He submits his writing to his family.
(c) He reads everything aloud.
(d) He edits everything three times.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the above a problem?
2. What is an example of a dead language?
3. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
4. What is a major job of a nonfiction writer?
5. How does Zissner have the ability to choose words for the American Heritage Dictionary?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)