|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Can a writer simply write the article with one interview?
(a) Yes, but it is better to have mulitple interviews and meld them together into one incident.
(b) No, there should always be mulitple interviews.
(c) Yes, but it should be avoided because people forget things in the first interview.
(d) No, editing is too hard with just one interview.
2. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
(a) He likes reading immigrant memoirs.
(b) He only reads novels.
(c) He likes reading memoirs about other writers and their experiences.
(d) He does not read memoirs.
3. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) To never second guess a story.
(b) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
(c) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
(d) It was to argue both sides of a story.
4. How much information should a writer provide to his or her readers?
(a) Enought to make a show worth seeing, without spoiling it for the readers and viewers.
(b) Very little. Readers need to be left in the dark so they can go see a show on their own.
(c) Only dates and times of the show with a thumbs up or down.
(d) Everything about the show that he or she felt was worthwhile.
5. Where does a writer need to start to get his or her voice discovered?
(a) Sign up for a talent search.
(b) Go to a literary agent and ask how to get their voice out.
(c) A writer needs to emulate other writers and see how they utlilize their voices in their writing.
(d) Read stories aloud at poetry clubs or book clubs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
2. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
3. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
4. What is an example of American television shows that use humor to talk about serious issues?
5. Which is the simplest sentence?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)