|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(b) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(c) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(d) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
2. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
(a) To follow solid writing.
(b) When the author needs to abide by editors remarks.
(c) When the wrting needs extra fluff.
(d) When writing evaluations and resumes.
3. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
(a) He didn't want their writing to prove better than his.
(b) So that people will go to the library to discover the writers themselves.
(c) Because of copyright law.
(d) Because he has a word count limit to abide to.
4. Why do writers need to stick to rules?
(a) In order to get taken seriously and get picked up by an agent.
(b) To impress their teachers with their adherance to rules.
(c) Writers need to stick to rules because readers expect them to.
(d) To get a copy past their editors on time.
5. Why is jargon, or corporate speak, so prevalent in business writing?
(a) It is the industry standard.
(b) There is a lack of writing skills learned in college because all the focus is on business.
(c) People lose their ability to write when they take a job since they stop writing.
(d) It is prevalent because subordinates think that the executives want jargon-filled writing in order to sound more professional.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the danger of overusing humor in writing?
2. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
3. What problem does a scientist have when writing about science?
4. What do interviews do for the writer?
5. Do good writers decorate their writing?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)