|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Zissner's point of view on the debate between literature and journalism?
(a) He agrees that journalism is bad writing.
(b) He agrees that literature is the only true form of good writing.
(c) He wants to go back to the pre-WWII form of writing.
(d) He believes it doesn't matter, and that good writing is good writing.
2. How is humor used in writing nonfiction?
(a) It is used to make fun of people without them every knowing.
(b) It is used to practice jokes for stand up comedians.
(c) It is used to bring out points that cannot be made in a straight forward manner.
(d) It is never used. Nonfiction should always be serious.
3. What is the best way to add humor into writing?
(a) Making seperate paragraphs that only have the funny line in them.
(b) Adding asterisks to funny lines.
(c) Making a funny sentence sneak up on a reader to get an unexpected laugh.
(d) Making all funny lines italicized.
4. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
(a) It is easier to sell.
(b) People only pay attention to short articles.
(c) They have a limited number of column inches and word limits.
(d) It make their writing easier to read.
5. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(b) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(c) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
(d) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
2. What is the purpose of colons?
3. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
4. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
5. Where should the writer find his or her words?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)