|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
(a) Normal Mailer and Virginia Wolfe.
(b) Sylvia Plath and Jane Austen.
(c) Norman Mailer and Tom Wolfe.
(d) Virginia Woolfe and Sylvia Plath.
2. How are writers like painters?
(a) Writers and painters will destory their work if it is not to their expectations.
(b) Painters start with models and then learn to create in they own way. Writers use formulas then find their own voice.
(c) Writing isn't like painting at all. Neither has anything in common with the other.
(d) They both have the freedom of creativity with no rules that bind them.
3. Good writing is ______________.
(b) Very difficult.
(c) Easy to teach.
(d) Seen often.
4. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
(a) It shows that people are ignorant.
(b) It shows that there are many talented people in the world.
(c) It reveals how easy it is to write a book.
(d) It reveals the misconception that writing is easy.
5. Should exclamation points be used in serious writing?
(a) They should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.
(b) They should be sprinkled into paragraphs like salt and pepper. The more the better.
(c) Only serious writing has serious exclamation points. How else would people understand astonishment?
(d) They should be used sparingly. One per paragraph is fine.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a major problem with humorous writing?
2. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
3. What do people forget about writing?
4. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
5. Where should the writer find his or her words?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)