|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are writers like painters?
(a) Writers and painters will destory their work if it is not to their expectations.
(b) Writing isn't like painting at all. Neither has anything in common with the other.
(c) They both have the freedom of creativity with no rules that bind them.
(d) Painters start with models and then learn to create in they own way. Writers use formulas then find their own voice.
2. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
(a) He only reads novels.
(b) He does not read memoirs.
(c) He likes reading immigrant memoirs.
(d) He likes reading memoirs about other writers and their experiences.
3. What period of writing constantly used semicolons?
(a) The 19th century.
(b) All modern writing uses semicolons constantly.
(c) The 17th century.
(d) Only 18th century England.
4. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(b) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(c) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(d) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
5. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
(a) The voice is the authority figure in a nonfiction piece.
(b) The mood is the way the characters feel in a piece.
(c) Mood or voice is the way a piece sounds to the reader in the imaginations inner ear.
(d) Mood or voice is the way the characters speak to one another.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
2. Why is it important to narrow down a nonfiction piece?
3. What are Zinsser's four articles of faith to writing well?
4. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
5. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)