|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example of American television shows that use humor to talk about serious issues?
(a) The Evening News.
(b) Saturday Night Live.
(c) The View.
(d) The Today Show.
2. Why do writers need to stick to rules?
(a) To get a copy past their editors on time.
(b) To impress their teachers with their adherance to rules.
(c) Writers need to stick to rules because readers expect them to.
(d) In order to get taken seriously and get picked up by an agent.
3. What occurs when business writing is bad?
(a) Executives get fired for pawning off simple writing tasks.
(b) Investors will agree to terms they do not understand.
(c) Customers will go elsewhere to buy their goods and services.
(d) People will get fired for bad writing.
4. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
(a) People only pay attention to short articles.
(b) They have a limited number of column inches and word limits.
(c) It is easier to sell.
(d) It make their writing easier to read.
5. What is a natural inclination for writers when they start a piece?
(a) They assume the readers know what they are writing about.
(b) Writers assume readers know nothing about what they are writing about.
(c) They ramble through an unnecessary introduction.
(d) They don't give enough background information.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a product of writing is never read?
2. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
3. Why is the English language changing all the time?
4. How rigid are the lines between proper and improper English usage?
5. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)