|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
(a) When the author needs to abide by editors remarks.
(b) When the wrting needs extra fluff.
(c) To follow solid writing.
(d) When writing evaluations and resumes.
2. What occurs when business writing is bad?
(a) Customers will go elsewhere to buy their goods and services.
(b) Investors will agree to terms they do not understand.
(c) People will get fired for bad writing.
(d) Executives get fired for pawning off simple writing tasks.
3. What is an alternative way of showing astonishment in writing?
(a) Typing in asterisks with verbs like *gasp*.
(b) Writing in all caps.
(c) Writing in excessive dialogue where people and characters say they are astonished.
(d) A well written sentence does not need excalamtion marks. The words themselves should be the intensity of the sentence.
4. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(b) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(c) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(d) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
5. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
(a) 10 writers.
(b) 1000 writers, poets, and editors.
(c) 104 writers, poets, editors, and teachers.
(d) 14 writers and poets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the old view of nonfiction?
2. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
3. What is the best way to learn to write with humor?
4. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
5. How is humor used in writing nonfiction?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)