|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The biology of words.
(b) The written scripts.
(c) The sound of words.
(d) The history of words.
2. How rigid are the lines between proper and improper English usage?
(a) They are very soft, and not rigid at all.
(b) There is a grey area, though the need for proper English is most important.
(c) They are very rigid and one cannot cross the line.
(d) There are no lines at all. Every writer has a poetic license to do with words what he or she pleases.
3. What is the danger of overusing humor in writing?
(a) It can get tiresome and jokes over time will become weaker.
(b) Rejection from not being funny enough, or at all.
(c) A writer's credibility will tank.
(d) A writer will not be taken seriously.
4. Why do writers need to stick to rules?
(a) To get a copy past their editors on time.
(b) To impress their teachers with their adherance to rules.
(c) Writers need to stick to rules because readers expect them to.
(d) In order to get taken seriously and get picked up by an agent.
5. What do interviews do for the writer?
(a) Interviews humanize a topic, making a boring topic interesting.
(b) They make a writer less valid, since he or she needs to interview several people to create one article.
(c) They make the writer an expert in a given subject.
(d) They make a writer feel stupid since he or she does not know that much about a subject.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the English language changing all the time?
2. Do good writers decorate their writing?
3. What does Zinsser think about this misconception?
4. Good writing is ______________.
5. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)