|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part IV: Chapter 20 The Sound of Your Voice.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an alternative way of showing astonishment in writing?
(a) Writing in all caps.
(b) Writing in excessive dialogue where people and characters say they are astonished.
(c) A well written sentence does not need excalamtion marks. The words themselves should be the intensity of the sentence.
(d) Typing in asterisks with verbs like *gasp*.
2. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
(a) Not doing grammar checks.
(b) Using too many commas.
(c) Usin too many dashes.
(d) Using cliches and made up words.
3. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He submits his writing to his family.
(b) He reads everything aloud.
(c) He has his wife read his work.
(d) He edits everything three times.
4. Can a writer simply write the article with one interview?
(a) No, editing is too hard with just one interview.
(b) Yes, but it is better to have mulitple interviews and meld them together into one incident.
(c) No, there should always be mulitple interviews.
(d) Yes, but it should be avoided because people forget things in the first interview.
5. What is a major problem with humorous writing?
(a) It is too hard to be funny in writing and takes a gifted person.
(b) Sarcasm does not come out in writing.
(c) It can never be taken seriously.
(d) It gets dated, and what is funny in 1980 will not be funny in 2080.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurs when business writing is bad?
2. Why is the English language so easy to use when writing?
3. Where does a writer need to start to get his or her voice discovered?
4. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
5. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)