|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
2. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
(a) They like it much better than red pen all over a paper.
(b) They say then can still see the brackets.
(c) They hated it, and have nightmares about his style.
(d) They say they never liked the highlighting.
3. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The sound of words.
(b) The history of words.
(c) The written scripts.
(d) The biology of words.
4. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To sound out simple sentences.
(b) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
(c) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
(d) To sound out simple syllables.
5. What happens when a product of writing is never read?
(a) It becomes worthless and a waste of good time.
(b) It gets burned.
(c) The author's reputation is harmed.
(d) It gets categorized under the bad books section.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
2. Why is the above a problem?
3. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
4. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
5. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)