|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
(a) When people write in their books.
(b) When people dog ear the pages of a book.
(c) When people say they can write a book as if it is easy.
(d) When people leave the toilet seat up.
2. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He reads everything aloud.
(b) He submits his writing to his family.
(c) He has his wife read his work.
(d) He edits everything three times.
3. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
(b) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
(c) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
(d) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
4. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They don't check their facts.
(b) They lie too much.
(c) They have bad grammar.
(d) They use too many euphemisms.
5. Where should the writer find his or her words?
(a) From a thesaraus.
(b) From modern euphanisms that people can relate to.
(c) From within the subconscious to the writing consciousness
(d) From a dictionary.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
2. What is a natural inclination for writers when they start a piece?
3. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
4. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
5. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)