|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They don't check their facts.
(b) They have bad grammar.
(c) They use too many euphemisms.
(d) They lie too much.
2. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
3. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
(a) They say they never liked the highlighting.
(b) They like it much better than red pen all over a paper.
(c) They hated it, and have nightmares about his style.
(d) They say then can still see the brackets.
4. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
(a) Sylvia Plath and Jane Austen.
(b) Norman Mailer and Tom Wolfe.
(c) Virginia Woolfe and Sylvia Plath.
(d) Normal Mailer and Virginia Wolfe.
5. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
(a) It creates a teacher student relationship.
(b) It brings out the natural voice.
(c) It causes writer's to think about the reader.
(d) It makes it easier for people to relate to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the simplest sentence?
2. What happens when the reader loses interest in the writing?
3. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
4. Why is the above a problem?
5. Chapter 3 is about __________.
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)