|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a common problem writers have?
(a) Not writing at the same time every day.
(b) Writing too much at first.
(c) Writing too little.
(d) Starting at the true beginning.
2. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
(a) The reader not relating to them.
(b) Stating where they live.
(c) Stating their true opinions, ideas, and judgments.
(d) Writing poorly.
3. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
(b) No, it is the same.
(c) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
(d) No, it has gotten worse.
4. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
(a) It keeps the meaning of the story clear and the prose worth the reader's time.
(b) It keeps books smaller and people like smaller books.
(c) It highlights the impotant parts of the story.
(d) It keeps people's attention longer.
5. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
2. Good writing is ______________.
3. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
4. Why is the above a problem?
5. Where should the writer find his or her words?
This section contains 303 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)