|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where should the writer find his or her words?
(a) From modern euphanisms that people can relate to.
(b) From within the subconscious to the writing consciousness
(c) From a dictionary.
(d) From a thesaraus.
2. What is the problem with American writing?
(a) The writing is too sloppy.
(b) It is too complex.
(c) It isn't complex enough.
(d) Americans are bad at fact checking.
3. How does Zissner have the ability to choose words for the American Heritage Dictionary?
(a) He created the Dictionary.
(b) He is on the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel
(c) He works for the American Heritage Dictionary
(d) He is related to someone on the panel.
4. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
(a) Norman Mailer and Tom Wolfe.
(b) Normal Mailer and Virginia Wolfe.
(c) Virginia Woolfe and Sylvia Plath.
(d) Sylvia Plath and Jane Austen.
5. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(b) Provides easy word webs.
(c) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(d) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could cause a writer to write unclear?
2. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
3. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
4. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
5. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)