|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
(a) It brings out the natural voice.
(b) It makes it easier for people to relate to.
(c) It creates a teacher student relationship.
(d) It causes writer's to think about the reader.
2. Why is the English language changing all the time?
(a) It changes because academics choose the best ways to speak English and try to teach that to children.
(b) It changes because people don't know how to speak it properly and are changing the way it is spoken.
(c) It changes because of regional differences that make their way outwards.
(d) It changes because it is a living language.
3. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Participates in writing workshops.
(b) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
(c) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(d) Takes writing classes often.
4. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
(b) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
(c) To sound out simple sentences.
(d) To sound out simple syllables.
5. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
(a) Yes, so long as the writing is filled with rich prose.
(b) No, it has to be genuine.
(c) No, it has to be manipulated.
(d) Yes, so long as the writing is really dense.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
2. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
3. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
4. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
5. Where should the writer find his or her words?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)