|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Zissner have the ability to choose words for the American Heritage Dictionary?
(a) He is on the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel
(b) He created the Dictionary.
(c) He works for the American Heritage Dictionary
(d) He is related to someone on the panel.
2. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
(a) To study the market.
(b) To emulate their heroes.
(c) To learn from other writers' mistakes.
(d) To learn how to write.
3. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(b) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(c) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(d) Provides easy word webs.
4. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
(a) They say then can still see the brackets.
(b) They hated it, and have nightmares about his style.
(c) They say they never liked the highlighting.
(d) They like it much better than red pen all over a paper.
5. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(b) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(c) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(d) Because highlighting is easier to see.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
2. What is an example of a dead language?
3. How rigid are the lines between proper and improper English usage?
4. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
5. What happens when the reader loses interest in the writing?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)