|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They have bad grammar.
(b) They use too many euphemisms.
(c) They don't check their facts.
(d) They lie too much.
2. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(b) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(c) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
(d) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
3. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
(a) Yes, so long as the writing is filled with rich prose.
(b) No, it has to be manipulated.
(c) No, it has to be genuine.
(d) Yes, so long as the writing is really dense.
4. What is a common problem writers have?
(a) Starting at the true beginning.
(b) Not writing at the same time every day.
(c) Writing too much at first.
(d) Writing too little.
5. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
(a) Writing poorly.
(b) Stating where they live.
(c) Stating their true opinions, ideas, and judgments.
(d) The reader not relating to them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
2. How does Zissner have the ability to choose words for the American Heritage Dictionary?
3. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
4. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
5. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)