|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
(a) Stating their true opinions, ideas, and judgments.
(b) Writing poorly.
(c) The reader not relating to them.
(d) Stating where they live.
2. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(b) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(c) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(d) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
3. What is a natural inclination for writers when they start a piece?
(a) They ramble through an unnecessary introduction.
(b) They assume the readers know what they are writing about.
(c) Writers assume readers know nothing about what they are writing about.
(d) They don't give enough background information.
4. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
(a) Using too many commas.
(b) Using cliches and made up words.
(c) Not doing grammar checks.
(d) Usin too many dashes.
5. What is a common problem writers have?
(a) Writing too much at first.
(b) Writing too little.
(c) Starting at the true beginning.
(d) Not writing at the same time every day.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 is about __________.
2. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
3. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
4. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
5. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)