|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
(a) When writing evaluations and resumes.
(b) To follow solid writing.
(c) When the wrting needs extra fluff.
(d) When the author needs to abide by editors remarks.
2. Good writing is ______________.
(a) Seen often.
(c) Easy to teach.
(d) Very difficult.
3. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To sound out simple syllables.
(b) To sound out simple sentences.
(c) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
(d) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
4. Why is the above a problem?
(a) Writers don't put enough effort into their writing.
(b) Writers end up editing too much.
(c) Usually the first two or three paragraphs of a piece can be cut.
(d) Writers need to start at the end and work their way up.
5. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
(a) In English class.
(b) In the newspaper.
(c) Corporate memos or technical writing.
(d) Online writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
2. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
3. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
4. What is a natural inclination for writers when they start a piece?
5. What is an example of a dead language?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)