|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) Provides easy word webs.
(b) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(c) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(d) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
2. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
(a) Because of copyright law.
(b) Because he has a word count limit to abide to.
(c) He didn't want their writing to prove better than his.
(d) So that people will go to the library to discover the writers themselves.
3. Chapter 3 is about __________.
(a) Increasing the simplicity of writing.
(b) Reducing clutter.
4. Do good writers decorate their writing?
(a) Yes, with good punctuation.
(b) No, only bad writers do this to sell more copies.
(c) Yes, always with lots of extra words.
(d) No, good writers dont need ornamentation.
5. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
(a) Reading a piece backwards.
(b) Reading under a blacklight.
(c) Reading through a window.
(d) Reading a story upside down.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
2. What is the main thing required to being a good writer?
3. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
4. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
5. What is the problem with American writing?
This section contains 319 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)