|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
(a) It makes it easier for people to relate to.
(b) It causes writer's to think about the reader.
(c) It brings out the natural voice.
(d) It creates a teacher student relationship.
2. What is the main thing required to being a good writer?
(a) Good editing.
(b) All answers are correct.
(d) Hard work.
3. Good writing is ______________.
(b) Seen often.
(c) Easy to teach.
(d) Very difficult.
4. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
(b) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(c) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(d) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
5. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
(a) Political Journals.
(b) Instruction manuals.
(c) Television captions.
(d) Literature anthologies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
2. Why is the English language changing all the time?
3. What does the etymology of words mean?
4. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
5. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)