|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
(a) In English class.
(b) In the newspaper.
(c) Corporate memos or technical writing.
(d) Online writing.
2. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
(a) They lie too much.
(b) They don't check their facts.
(c) They have bad grammar.
(d) They use too many euphemisms.
3. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
(a) They do too much and slack on their writing.
(b) They are bad at fact checking.
(c) They are not complex enough.
(d) Their minds are too cluttered.
4. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
(a) 1000 writers, poets, and editors.
(b) 10 writers.
(c) 14 writers and poets.
(d) 104 writers, poets, editors, and teachers.
5. Can a writer's style be affected to the reader?
(a) No, it has to be genuine.
(b) No, it has to be manipulated.
(c) Yes, so long as the writing is really dense.
(d) Yes, so long as the writing is filled with rich prose.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the etymology of words mean?
2. Which is the simplest sentence?
3. What happens when a writer writes in unclear ways?
4. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
5. What is the problem with American writing?
This section contains 297 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)