|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
(a) It allows writers to understand their own writing.
(b) It is a therapeutic process signifying the end of a story.
(c) It helps the writer compare their work to others.
(d) Catches simple mistakes and clumsy constructions.
2. What happens when a product of writing is never read?
(a) The author's reputation is harmed.
(b) It becomes worthless and a waste of good time.
(c) It gets burned.
(d) It gets categorized under the bad books section.
3. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
4. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
(a) They have a limited number of column inches and word limits.
(b) It make their writing easier to read.
(c) People only pay attention to short articles.
(d) It is easier to sell.
5. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
(b) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
(c) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
(d) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the etymology of words mean?
2. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
3. What happens when the reader loses interest in the writing?
4. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
5. What does Zissner believe authors are fearful of in their writing?
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)