|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
(b) Participates in writing workshops.
(c) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(d) Takes writing classes often.
2. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(b) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(c) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(d) Provides easy word webs.
3. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
(a) It reveals how easy it is to write a book.
(b) It reveals the misconception that writing is easy.
(c) It shows that there are many talented people in the world.
(d) It shows that people are ignorant.
4. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
(a) To learn how to write.
(b) To study the market.
(c) To emulate their heroes.
(d) To learn from other writers' mistakes.
5. Good writing is ______________.
(a) Very difficult.
(b) Easy to teach.
(d) Seen often.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
2. Chapter 3 is about __________.
3. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
4. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
5. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)