|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does it convey when anyone says he can write a book if he wanted to?
(a) It reveals how easy it is to write a book.
(b) It reveals the misconception that writing is easy.
(c) It shows that people are ignorant.
(d) It shows that there are many talented people in the world.
2. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) Spanish Civil War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War II.
3. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
(b) Business writers.
(c) State employees.
4. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
(a) They hated it, and have nightmares about his style.
(b) They say they never liked the highlighting.
(c) They like it much better than red pen all over a paper.
(d) They say then can still see the brackets.
5. How does Zinsser approach unusual words?
(a) He accepts some, but not all.
(b) He is modern when it comes to English, but would rather keep it simple.
(c) He is very conservative and will never cross a proper word line.
(d) He is very welcoming of a transforming English language.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a common problem writers have?
2. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
3. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
4. What is the main thing required to being a good writer?
5. Why doesn't Zissner provide examples of these writers he admires?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)