|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an example of a time when bad writing HAS to be read?
(a) In English class.
(b) Online writing.
(c) In the newspaper.
(d) Corporate memos or technical writing.
2. What is one of Zissner's biggest pet peeves?
(a) When people leave the toilet seat up.
(b) When people dog ear the pages of a book.
(c) When people say they can write a book as if it is easy.
(d) When people write in their books.
3. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
(a) It highlights the impotant parts of the story.
(b) It keeps the meaning of the story clear and the prose worth the reader's time.
(c) It keeps books smaller and people like smaller books.
(d) It keeps people's attention longer.
4. Why is the above a problem?
(a) Writers end up editing too much.
(b) Writers don't put enough effort into their writing.
(c) Usually the first two or three paragraphs of a piece can be cut.
(d) Writers need to start at the end and work their way up.
5. Chapter 3 is about __________.
(a) Reducing clutter.
(b) Increasing the simplicity of writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that the bad writers mentioned above do that makes their writing terrible?
2. Where should the writer find his or her words?
3. Why do Americans have trouble writing?
4. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
5. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)