|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people are in the American Heritage Dictionary Usage Panel?
(a) 14 writers and poets.
(b) 104 writers, poets, editors, and teachers.
(c) 1000 writers, poets, and editors.
(d) 10 writers.
2. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(b) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(c) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(d) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
3. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
(a) Using cliches and made up words.
(b) Using too many commas.
(c) Usin too many dashes.
(d) Not doing grammar checks.
4. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
(a) First person.
(b) Combination third and first.
(c) Third person.
(d) Second person.
5. What is another example of when a person HAS to read bad writing?
(a) Television captions.
(b) Literature anthologies.
(c) Instruction manuals.
(d) Political Journals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Good writing is ______________.
2. Chapter 3 is about __________.
3. Where should the writer find his or her words?
4. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
5. Who are two authors that Zissner admires for solid writing and ornamentation?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)