|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part I: Chapter 7 Usage.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What tense does Zissner recommend when starting a new piece?
(a) Second person.
(b) Combination third and first.
(c) First person.
(d) Third person.
2. Do good writers decorate their writing?
(a) Yes, with good punctuation.
(b) No, only bad writers do this to sell more copies.
(c) No, good writers dont need ornamentation.
(d) Yes, always with lots of extra words.
3. Why does he recommend starting in the preferred tense?
(a) It makes it easier for people to relate to.
(b) It causes writer's to think about the reader.
(c) It creates a teacher student relationship.
(d) It brings out the natural voice.
4. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
(a) It keeps people's attention longer.
(b) It keeps the meaning of the story clear and the prose worth the reader's time.
(c) It keeps books smaller and people like smaller books.
(d) It highlights the impotant parts of the story.
5. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
(b) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
(c) To sound out simple syllables.
(d) To sound out simple sentences.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when a product of writing is never read?
2. When can ornamental writing be used as an exception?
3. What is a common problem writers have?
4. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
5. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)