|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has literature transformed into?
(a) Literature now includes nonfiction and fiction alike.
(b) Literature is still mainly novels,and very rarely includes other writing.
(c) Literature now includes poetry.
(d) Literature has not transformed at all.
2. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
(b) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
(c) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
(d) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
3. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He has his wife read his work.
(b) He reads everything aloud.
(c) He edits everything three times.
(d) He submits his writing to his family.
4. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) No, it has gotten worse.
(b) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
(c) No, it is the same.
(d) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
5. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
(a) Memoires don't sell well enough.
(b) People don't like reading memoires.
(c) Editors hate reading memoirs therefore don't pick them up.
(d) An attitude to please teachers and not readers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
2. What does the etymology of words mean?
3. Literature was once considered solely as what?
4. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
5. What is Zissner's point of view on the debate between literature and journalism?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)