|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
(a) Memoires don't sell well enough.
(b) Editors hate reading memoirs therefore don't pick them up.
(c) People don't like reading memoires.
(d) An attitude to please teachers and not readers.
2. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) Provides easy word webs.
(b) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(c) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(d) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
3. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
(a) Reading through a window.
(b) Reading a piece backwards.
(c) Reading under a blacklight.
(d) Reading a story upside down.
4. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(b) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(c) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(d) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
5. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
(a) Nothing but write about everything he or she thinks about daily.
(b) It brings up related memories that were pushed into the subconsious.
(c) It brings back bad memories that the person tried to forget.
(d) It forces them to talk to distant relatives they hate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
2. What does the etymology of words mean?
3. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
4. What is Zissner's point of view on the debate between literature and journalism?
5. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)