|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
(b) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
(c) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
(d) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
2. What has literature transformed into?
(a) Literature is still mainly novels,and very rarely includes other writing.
(b) Literature now includes poetry.
(c) Literature now includes nonfiction and fiction alike.
(d) Literature has not transformed at all.
3. Why is it important to narrow down a nonfiction piece?
(a) It isn't that important. It just sells better to magazines to be focused.
(b) It isn't important. People just want to look at pictures anyways.
(c) One person cannot write an article about every aspect of something. That is what books are for.
(d) Articles should not drain the writer and reader. Focusing on a corner is better than redefining an entire room.
4. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
(a) THe point of view should be determined once the writing is finished and ready for editing.
(b) A writer should determine the point of view before writing a new piece.
(c) It doesn't matter when the point of view is established.
(d) The point of view can be determined after the writer figures out who will be the main character.
5. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
(a) It make their writing easier to read.
(b) It is easier to sell.
(c) People only pay attention to short articles.
(d) They have a limited number of column inches and word limits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
2. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
3. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
4. Which is the simplest sentence?
5. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)