|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the main attitude that writers have today?
(a) To write modern literature and be the next best author.
(b) To write literature, the way it was defined before WWII.
(c) To write well, regardless of whether it is fiction or nonfiction.
(d) To be published in the New Yorker.
2. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
(a) They say they never liked the highlighting.
(b) They hated it, and have nightmares about his style.
(c) They say then can still see the brackets.
(d) They like it much better than red pen all over a paper.
3. Literature was once considered solely as what?
(a) Fiction only.
(b) Writing by only certain authors.
(c) Great novels.
(d) Historical pieces.
4. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(b) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(c) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(d) Because highlighting is easier to see.
5. What has literature transformed into?
(a) Literature is still mainly novels,and very rarely includes other writing.
(b) Literature now includes poetry.
(c) Literature now includes nonfiction and fiction alike.
(d) Literature has not transformed at all.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
2. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
3. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
4. What is a memoir?
5. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)