|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(b) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(c) Provides easy word webs.
(d) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
2. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
(a) They want to be the final experts and turn away viable information that would change their articles.
(b) Nonfiction writers tend to want to say the last word on a subject, which covers too much ground.
(c) They tend to write confusing articles that do not interest anyone.
(d) They don't research enough.
3. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
4. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
(a) They hated it, and have nightmares about his style.
(b) They say then can still see the brackets.
(c) They say they never liked the highlighting.
(d) They like it much better than red pen all over a paper.
5. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
(a) The Korean War.
(b) Spanish Civil War.
(c) World War II.
(d) The Vietnam War.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
2. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
3. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
4. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
5. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)