|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
(a) Reading a piece backwards.
(b) Reading through a window.
(c) Reading a story upside down.
(d) Reading under a blacklight.
2. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He has his wife read his work.
(b) He edits everything three times.
(c) He reads everything aloud.
(d) He submits his writing to his family.
3. What is the main attitude that writers have today?
(a) To write literature, the way it was defined before WWII.
(b) To be published in the New Yorker.
(c) To write well, regardless of whether it is fiction or nonfiction.
(d) To write modern literature and be the next best author.
4. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
(a) They tend to write confusing articles that do not interest anyone.
(b) Nonfiction writers tend to want to say the last word on a subject, which covers too much ground.
(c) They don't research enough.
(d) They want to be the final experts and turn away viable information that would change their articles.
5. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
(a) The mood is the way the characters feel in a piece.
(b) Mood or voice is the way the characters speak to one another.
(c) Mood or voice is the way a piece sounds to the reader in the imaginations inner ear.
(d) The voice is the authority figure in a nonfiction piece.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
2. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
3. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
4. What has literature transformed into?
5. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)