|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unity in writing?
(a) Unity is when characters are unipolar and one dimensional.
(b) Unity is when the characters in a story are united and never disagree with one another.
(c) Unity is where the writer maintains consistency throughout an entire piece.
(d) Unity is when the writer sticks to one plot.
2. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
(a) Catches simple mistakes and clumsy constructions.
(b) It allows writers to understand their own writing.
(c) It helps the writer compare their work to others.
(d) It is a therapeutic process signifying the end of a story.
3. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
(b) No, it is the same.
(c) No, it has gotten worse.
(d) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
4. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(b) Provides easy word webs.
(c) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(d) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
5. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The written scripts.
(b) The biology of words.
(c) The sound of words.
(d) The history of words.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
2. What is the old view of nonfiction?
3. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
4. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
5. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)