|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
(a) They say then can still see the brackets.
(b) They like it much better than red pen all over a paper.
(c) They say they never liked the highlighting.
(d) They hated it, and have nightmares about his style.
2. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
(a) People don't like reading memoires.
(b) An attitude to please teachers and not readers.
(c) Memoires don't sell well enough.
(d) Editors hate reading memoirs therefore don't pick them up.
3. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
(a) The point of view can be determined after the writer figures out who will be the main character.
(b) It doesn't matter when the point of view is established.
(c) THe point of view should be determined once the writing is finished and ready for editing.
(d) A writer should determine the point of view before writing a new piece.
4. Chapter 3 is about __________.
(c) Increasing the simplicity of writing.
(d) Reducing clutter.
5. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(b) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(c) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(d) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
2. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
3. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
4. What is unity in writing?
5. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)