|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
(b) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
(c) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(d) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
2. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(b) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(c) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(d) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
3. Which is the simplest sentence?
(a) Simplicity is the opposite of clutter.
(b) Simplicity is opporite clutter.
(c) Simplicity is the direct opposite of clutter.
4. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
(b) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
(c) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
(d) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
5. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a memoir?
2. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
3. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
4. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
5. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)