|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
2. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(b) Because highlighting is easier to see.
(c) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(d) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
3. Why is it important to narrow down a nonfiction piece?
(a) One person cannot write an article about every aspect of something. That is what books are for.
(b) It isn't important. People just want to look at pictures anyways.
(c) It isn't that important. It just sells better to magazines to be focused.
(d) Articles should not drain the writer and reader. Focusing on a corner is better than redefining an entire room.
4. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
(a) Entertainment alternatives makes nonfiction more popular, even if it is a trend.
(b) It is what modern editors like to read.
(c) It is more entertaining since it is true.
(d) It isn't more popular, it is just more widespread.
5. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The history of words.
(b) The biology of words.
(c) The written scripts.
(d) The sound of words.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 3 is about __________.
2. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
3. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
4. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
5. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)