|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
(a) They don't research enough.
(b) Nonfiction writers tend to want to say the last word on a subject, which covers too much ground.
(c) They want to be the final experts and turn away viable information that would change their articles.
(d) They tend to write confusing articles that do not interest anyone.
2. What is the old view of nonfiction?
(a) That it is the best form of writing because it is factual and real.
(b) That it is the only respectable form of writing.
(c) That it is only journalism which isn't a respectable form of writing.
(d) That it is all commentary that means nothing to anyone but the writer.
3. Chapter 3 is about __________.
(a) Increasing the simplicity of writing.
(b) Reducing clutter.
4. Literature was once considered solely as what?
(a) Historical pieces.
(b) Writing by only certain authors.
(c) Fiction only.
(d) Great novels.
5. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) No, it is the same.
(b) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
(c) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
(d) No, it has gotten worse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
2. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
3. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
4. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
5. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)