|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the old view of nonfiction?
(a) That it is the best form of writing because it is factual and real.
(b) That it is only journalism which isn't a respectable form of writing.
(c) That it is the only respectable form of writing.
(d) That it is all commentary that means nothing to anyone but the writer.
2. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
(a) Usin too many dashes.
(b) Not doing grammar checks.
(c) Using cliches and made up words.
(d) Using too many commas.
3. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
(a) Nonfiction writers tend to want to say the last word on a subject, which covers too much ground.
(b) They tend to write confusing articles that do not interest anyone.
(c) They want to be the final experts and turn away viable information that would change their articles.
(d) They don't research enough.
4. Literature was once considered solely as what?
(a) Fiction only.
(b) Great novels.
(c) Writing by only certain authors.
(d) Historical pieces.
5. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
(a) To learn how to write.
(b) To emulate their heroes.
(c) To learn from other writers' mistakes.
(d) To study the market.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
2. What group of people does the author think has the worst type of writing?
3. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
4. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
5. What is the advantage of a writer writing his or her own memoir?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)