|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
(a) It forces them to talk to distant relatives they hate.
(b) It brings back bad memories that the person tried to forget.
(c) It brings up related memories that were pushed into the subconsious.
(d) Nothing but write about everything he or she thinks about daily.
2. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
3. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
(a) Entertainment alternatives makes nonfiction more popular, even if it is a trend.
(b) It is more entertaining since it is true.
(c) It is what modern editors like to read.
(d) It isn't more popular, it is just more widespread.
4. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He edits everything three times.
(b) He reads everything aloud.
(c) He has his wife read his work.
(d) He submits his writing to his family.
5. What is the main attitude that writers have today?
(a) To write well, regardless of whether it is fiction or nonfiction.
(b) To write literature, the way it was defined before WWII.
(c) To write modern literature and be the next best author.
(d) To be published in the New Yorker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Zissner's point of view on the debate between literature and journalism?
2. What has literature transformed into?
3. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
4. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
5. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)