|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
(a) They tend to write confusing articles that do not interest anyone.
(b) Nonfiction writers tend to want to say the last word on a subject, which covers too much ground.
(c) They want to be the final experts and turn away viable information that would change their articles.
(d) They don't research enough.
2. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
(a) No, it has gotten worse.
(b) Yes, politicians hire better speech writers.
(c) No, it is the same.
(d) Yes, politicians know how to unclutter their writing now.
3. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He has his wife read his work.
(b) He reads everything aloud.
(c) He submits his writing to his family.
(d) He edits everything three times.
4. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) Spanish Civil War.
(c) The Korean War.
(d) World War II.
5. What is the main attitude that writers have today?
(a) To write well, regardless of whether it is fiction or nonfiction.
(b) To write modern literature and be the next best author.
(c) To write literature, the way it was defined before WWII.
(d) To be published in the New Yorker.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important to narrow down a nonfiction piece?
2. What has literature transformed into?
3. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
4. Chapter 3 is about __________.
5. What stops Americans from writing memoirs?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)