|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
(a) It brings up related memories that were pushed into the subconsious.
(b) It brings back bad memories that the person tried to forget.
(c) It forces them to talk to distant relatives they hate.
(d) Nothing but write about everything he or she thinks about daily.
2. What other group of people uses euphemisms or fad terms?
(b) State employees.
(c) Business writers.
3. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
(a) Mood or voice is the way a piece sounds to the reader in the imaginations inner ear.
(b) Mood or voice is the way the characters speak to one another.
(c) The mood is the way the characters feel in a piece.
(d) The voice is the authority figure in a nonfiction piece.
4. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
(a) Using cliches and made up words.
(b) Using too many commas.
(c) Not doing grammar checks.
(d) Usin too many dashes.
5. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(b) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(c) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
(d) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a common problem with nonfiction writers?
2. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
3. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
4. When should a writer choose the point of view in a piece of writing?
5. What is Zissner's point of view on the debate between literature and journalism?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)