|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
(a) To emulate their heroes.
(b) To learn how to write.
(c) To study the market.
(d) To learn from other writers' mistakes.
2. What is the main attitude that writers have today?
(a) To write modern literature and be the next best author.
(b) To be published in the New Yorker.
(c) To write literature, the way it was defined before WWII.
(d) To write well, regardless of whether it is fiction or nonfiction.
3. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
(b) To sound out simple sentences.
(c) To sound out simple syllables.
(d) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
4. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
(b) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
(c) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
(d) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
5. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
(a) Catches simple mistakes and clumsy constructions.
(b) It helps the writer compare their work to others.
(c) It allows writers to understand their own writing.
(d) It is a therapeutic process signifying the end of a story.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
2. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
3. Literature was once considered solely as what?
4. What does Zissner use to highlight clutter in his students' writing?
5. What is the old view of nonfiction?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)