|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
(a) It is more entertaining since it is true.
(b) Entertainment alternatives makes nonfiction more popular, even if it is a trend.
(c) It is what modern editors like to read.
(d) It isn't more popular, it is just more widespread.
2. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(b) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
(c) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(d) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
3. What is the mood or voice in a piece?
(a) The voice is the authority figure in a nonfiction piece.
(b) The mood is the way the characters feel in a piece.
(c) Mood or voice is the way the characters speak to one another.
(d) Mood or voice is the way a piece sounds to the reader in the imaginations inner ear.
4. What is the main attitude that writers have today?
(a) To write modern literature and be the next best author.
(b) To be published in the New Yorker.
(c) To write literature, the way it was defined before WWII.
(d) To write well, regardless of whether it is fiction or nonfiction.
5. Why do journalists need to perfect uncluttered writing?
(a) It is easier to sell.
(b) They have a limited number of column inches and word limits.
(c) People only pay attention to short articles.
(d) It make their writing easier to read.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
2. What is the response previous students have to his style of edits?
3. How can uncluttered writing help fiction?
4. What is a memoir?
5. What does the etymology of words mean?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)