|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
(a) It is more entertaining since it is true.
(b) It is what modern editors like to read.
(c) It isn't more popular, it is just more widespread.
(d) Entertainment alternatives makes nonfiction more popular, even if it is a trend.
2. What does the process of memoir writing do for a writer?
(a) It forces them to talk to distant relatives they hate.
(b) Nothing but write about everything he or she thinks about daily.
(c) It brings back bad memories that the person tried to forget.
(d) It brings up related memories that were pushed into the subconsious.
3. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To sound out simple syllables.
(b) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
(c) To sound out simple sentences.
(d) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
4. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
(a) Reading a story upside down.
(b) Reading a piece backwards.
(c) Reading under a blacklight.
(d) Reading through a window.
5. Why is consistency in verb tense so important?
(a) It is important for slower readers to follow along.
(b) It is important so that verbs don't get confused with nouns.
(c) It is important for the development of characters, and to set up a plot.
(d) Very tense consistency is important so that the reader does not become lost in the timing of events.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unity in writing?
2. What does Zinsser think about writing memoirs?
3. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
4. What is a memoir?
5. What type of memoirs does Zinsser like reading?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)