|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 14 Writing About Yourself: The Memoir.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is unity in writing?
(a) Unity is where the writer maintains consistency throughout an entire piece.
(b) Unity is when the characters in a story are united and never disagree with one another.
(c) Unity is when characters are unipolar and one dimensional.
(d) Unity is when the writer sticks to one plot.
2. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
(b) Participates in writing workshops.
(c) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(d) Takes writing classes often.
3. What does Zinsser think about writing memoirs?
(a) He thinks memoirs are tacky writers.
(b) He is against memoirs and thinks writers should never write about themselves.
(c) He likes memoirs and reads them constantly.
(d) He encourages them and wants writers to stop being afraid about writing about themselves.
4. Why is nonfiction more popular than fiction?
(a) It is more entertaining since it is true.
(b) It is what modern editors like to read.
(c) Entertainment alternatives makes nonfiction more popular, even if it is a trend.
(d) It isn't more popular, it is just more widespread.
5. Why doesn't he simply cross out clutter?
(a) Because it uses too much ink to cross out than to bracket.
(b) Because underlining is easier on the eyes.
(c) So that his students will learn to recognize clutter.
(d) Because highlighting is easier to see.
Short Answer Questions
1. What period in U.S. history does Zissner point out as a time filled with euphemisms?
2. Literature was once considered solely as what?
3. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
4. Has the period of political euphemisms improved since the Vietnam War?
5. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)