|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Can a writer simply write the article with one interview?
(a) No, editing is too hard with just one interview.
(b) No, there should always be mulitple interviews.
(c) Yes, but it should be avoided because people forget things in the first interview.
(d) Yes, but it is better to have mulitple interviews and meld them together into one incident.
2. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
(b) Takes writing classes often.
(c) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(d) Participates in writing workshops.
3. How much information should a writer provide to his or her readers?
(a) Very little. Readers need to be left in the dark so they can go see a show on their own.
(b) Enought to make a show worth seeing, without spoiling it for the readers and viewers.
(c) Only dates and times of the show with a thumbs up or down.
(d) Everything about the show that he or she felt was worthwhile.
4. Why should interview questions be written before the interview?
(a) To avoid having to do it at the interview.
(b) To avoid drawing a blank in the middle of an interview.
(c) To focus the interview around a certain theme.
(d) To keep the person being interviewed on track.
5. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
(b) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
(c) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
(d) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
2. What is a requirement for good literary criticism?
3. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
4. Do criticism writers need to take a stance on a show?
5. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)