|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Zinsser's preferred method for interviewing?
(a) He likes to use pencils and paper.
(b) He likes audio recorders.
(c) He likes to use pens and markers.
(d) He doesn't use anything. He just listens.
2. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The written scripts.
(b) The history of words.
(c) The biology of words.
(d) The sound of words.
3. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He edits everything three times.
(b) He reads everything aloud.
(c) He submits his writing to his family.
(d) He has his wife read his work.
4. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
(b) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(c) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(d) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
5. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(b) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
(c) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
(d) To never second guess a story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is there an opportunity for great creative writing?
2. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
3. What do interviews do for the writer?
4. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
5. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)