|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(b) To never second guess a story.
(c) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
(d) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
2. Where is there an opportunity for great creative writing?
(a) LIterary journals.
(b) Online at freelance job web sites.
(c) At the local library.
(d) Writing for the arts is the best opportunity to write creatively.
3. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The written scripts.
(b) The biology of words.
(c) The history of words.
(d) The sound of words.
4. Can a writer simply write the article with one interview?
(a) No, editing is too hard with just one interview.
(b) No, there should always be mulitple interviews.
(c) Yes, but it is better to have mulitple interviews and meld them together into one incident.
(d) Yes, but it should be avoided because people forget things in the first interview.
5. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
(b) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
(c) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
(d) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
2. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
3. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
4. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
5. What do interviews do for the writer?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)