|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
(b) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
(c) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
(d) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
2. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
(a) To sound out simple sentences.
(b) To sound out simple syllables.
(c) To be aware of the rhythm and sound of words together.
(d) To be aware of the way words are spelled.
3. What is a requirement for good literary criticism?
(a) Subscribing to arts magazines.
(b) Having a comparitive literature degress.
(c) Frequenting the theatre often.
(d) Knowing the subject that the writer wants to write about.
4. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He has his wife read his work.
(b) He submits his writing to his family.
(c) He edits everything three times.
(d) He reads everything aloud.
5. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The written scripts.
(b) The sound of words.
(c) The biology of words.
(d) The history of words.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
2. What do interviews do for the writer?
3. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
4. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
5. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)