|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The biology of words.
(b) The written scripts.
(c) The history of words.
(d) The sound of words.
2. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He reads everything aloud.
(b) He edits everything three times.
(c) He submits his writing to his family.
(d) He has his wife read his work.
3. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
(b) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
(c) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
(d) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
4. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
(a) Reading under a blacklight.
(b) Reading a piece backwards.
(c) Reading a story upside down.
(d) Reading through a window.
5. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(b) Takes writing classes often.
(c) Participates in writing workshops.
(d) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
2. What do interviews do for the writer?
3. Where is there an opportunity for great creative writing?
4. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
5. Do criticism writers need to take a stance on a show?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)