|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do interviews do for the writer?
(a) They make the writer an expert in a given subject.
(b) Interviews humanize a topic, making a boring topic interesting.
(c) They make a writer feel stupid since he or she does not know that much about a subject.
(d) They make a writer less valid, since he or she needs to interview several people to create one article.
2. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He reads everything aloud.
(b) He edits everything three times.
(c) He has his wife read his work.
(d) He submits his writing to his family.
3. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
(b) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
(c) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
(d) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
4. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
(b) To never second guess a story.
(c) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(d) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
5. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
(a) It helps the writer compare their work to others.
(b) Catches simple mistakes and clumsy constructions.
(c) It allows writers to understand their own writing.
(d) It is a therapeutic process signifying the end of a story.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
2. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
3. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
4. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
5. What is a major job of a nonfiction writer?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)