|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
(a) It starts when the interviewing process and research is complete.
(b) It starts before the interview but after the research.
(c) It starts before interviewing to set up the article paragraphs.
(d) It starts whenever the writer is ready to start.
2. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(b) Takes writing classes often.
(c) Participates in writing workshops.
(d) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
3. Can a writer simply write the article with one interview?
(a) Yes, but it should be avoided because people forget things in the first interview.
(b) Yes, but it is better to have mulitple interviews and meld them together into one incident.
(c) No, there should always be mulitple interviews.
(d) No, editing is too hard with just one interview.
4. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
(a) Using cliches and made up words.
(b) Usin too many dashes.
(c) Not doing grammar checks.
(d) Using too many commas.
5. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
(a) Criticism is harder to write about because it tends to be less attractive than other writing.
(b) Criticism need to be stronger at literary elements because they need to recreate a scene or a song in the imagination of their readers with words only.
(c) Only those able to understand the arts can write about them, and very little people can.
(d) Criticism writers are no different. They still need to use the same basic rules of writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is there an opportunity for great creative writing?
2. What is a strange but effective way of proofreading to check for errors?
3. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
4. What is another important characteristic of a writer?
5. What is Zinsser's preferred method for interviewing?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)