|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Can a writer simply write the article with one interview?
(a) No, editing is too hard with just one interview.
(b) No, there should always be mulitple interviews.
(c) Yes, but it is better to have mulitple interviews and meld them together into one incident.
(d) Yes, but it should be avoided because people forget things in the first interview.
2. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
(a) It starts whenever the writer is ready to start.
(b) It starts before interviewing to set up the article paragraphs.
(c) It starts before the interview but after the research.
(d) It starts when the interviewing process and research is complete.
3. Why should interview questions be written before the interview?
(a) To keep the person being interviewed on track.
(b) To avoid having to do it at the interview.
(c) To focus the interview around a certain theme.
(d) To avoid drawing a blank in the middle of an interview.
4. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
(a) The book provides brainstorming exercises.
(b) There are pictures of mindmaps within each thesaurus.
(c) Looking up a word leads to a list of related words and gives overal word choices and concepts.
(d) The book gives a list of unrelated words that weeds out the bad choices.
5. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
(b) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(c) To never second guess a story.
(d) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is there an opportunity for great creative writing?
2. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
3. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
4. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
5. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)