|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is there an opportunity for great creative writing?
(a) Online at freelance job web sites.
(b) At the local library.
(c) LIterary journals.
(d) Writing for the arts is the best opportunity to write creatively.
2. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(b) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(c) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(d) Provides easy word webs.
3. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
(b) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
(c) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
(d) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
4. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(b) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
(c) Takes writing classes often.
(d) Participates in writing workshops.
5. How much information should a writer provide to his or her readers?
(a) Very little. Readers need to be left in the dark so they can go see a show on their own.
(b) Only dates and times of the show with a thumbs up or down.
(c) Everything about the show that he or she felt was worthwhile.
(d) Enought to make a show worth seeing, without spoiling it for the readers and viewers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
2. What is a major job of a nonfiction writer?
3. What trap do journalists and editors fall into often?
4. When does the writing start for a nonfiction article?
5. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)