|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(b) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
(c) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
(d) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
2. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
(a) He reads everything aloud.
(b) He edits everything three times.
(c) He submits his writing to his family.
(d) He has his wife read his work.
3. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) To never second guess a story.
(b) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(c) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
(d) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
4. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
(a) Only those able to understand the arts can write about them, and very little people can.
(b) Criticism need to be stronger at literary elements because they need to recreate a scene or a song in the imagination of their readers with words only.
(c) Criticism is harder to write about because it tends to be less attractive than other writing.
(d) Criticism writers are no different. They still need to use the same basic rules of writing.
5. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
(a) A thesaurus can help when writing in another language.
(b) A thesaurus is a powerful stimulant to a writer's imagination.
(c) The book can help a writer become an expert in opposites.
(d) Provides easy word webs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do criticism writers need to take a stance on a show?
2. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
3. Why should interview questions be written before the interview?
4. How does a thesaurus help with brainstorming?
5. What is Zinsser's preferred method for interviewing?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)