|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two components of the original Roget's Thesaurus?
(a) A dictionary listing of words, and a numberd section with synonyms arranged in broad concepts.
(b) A dictionary of antonyms, and one of synonyms.
(c) A list of synonyms and their definitions with pictures on one side.
(d) Antonyms with very in depth definitions.
2. What does the etymology of words mean?
(a) The sound of words.
(b) The written scripts.
(c) The history of words.
(d) The biology of words.
3. What is a requirement for good literary criticism?
(a) Knowing the subject that the writer wants to write about.
(b) Having a comparitive literature degress.
(c) Subscribing to arts magazines.
(d) Frequenting the theatre often.
4. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
(a) It was to argue both sides of a story.
(b) To always second guess an argument and make a pro and con list.
(c) To never second guess a story.
(d) Take a stand and stick to it. One should never "go peeing down both legs."
5. Where is there an opportunity for great creative writing?
(a) Writing for the arts is the best opportunity to write creatively.
(b) At the local library.
(c) LIterary journals.
(d) Online at freelance job web sites.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a Thesaurus help a writer with, besides finding alternate words?
2. What does Zinsser do before submitting a piece of writing?
3. What do interviews do for the writer?
4. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
5. What does reading aloud do for the writer?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)