|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part III: Chapter 18 Writing About the Arts: Critics and Columnists.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Zissner believe in the journalism model for good writing?
(a) Yes, it saves space and uses modern words.
(b) No, journalism is dead and the writing is poor.
(c) Yes, it is efficient and catchy.
(d) No because journalists use cheap words and buzz words.
2. Why do criticism writers have to be at a higher level than other writers?
(a) Criticism writers are no different. They still need to use the same basic rules of writing.
(b) Criticism need to be stronger at literary elements because they need to recreate a scene or a song in the imagination of their readers with words only.
(c) Only those able to understand the arts can write about them, and very little people can.
(d) Criticism is harder to write about because it tends to be less attractive than other writing.
3. Do criticism writers need to take a stance on a show?
(a) Absolutely. They have the power to make or break a show.
(b) Opinions should always be left out of writing.
(c) No, that should be left up to the audience.
(d) Yes, but they should mind their wording to not offend those in the show.
4. Why should interview questions be written before the interview?
(a) To keep the person being interviewed on track.
(b) To avoid drawing a blank in the middle of an interview.
(c) To avoid having to do it at the interview.
(d) To focus the interview around a certain theme.
5. What is one task that a good writer constantly does?
(a) Sends manuscripts out like crazy.
(b) Participates in writing workshops.
(c) Takes writing classes often.
(d) Reads contemporary and classic works of other writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the etymology of words mean?
2. What was the best advice Zinsser ever received about having opinions in writing?
3. Why is it important for writers to read constantly?
4. What is a requirement for good literary criticism?
5. What is Zinsser's preferred method for interviewing?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)