Eight Week Quiz E
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 4, Book 6: Defence : Chapter 1, Attack & Defence, The People in Arms.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Clausewitz say it would take a man to compile a proper survey of history?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) A lifetime.
(d) 50 years.
2. What does Clausewitz think of wars between civilized nations compared to savages?
(a) They are more cruel and destructive.
(b) They are the same.
(c) They are less cruel and destructive.
(d) They are more pretty because of the uniforms.
3. What does Clausewitz say reserves can be used for?
(a) To protect the officers from retreating troops.
(b) To allow for the king to visit the troops.
(c) To allow troops rest so they can be rotated in the front line.
(d) To push for the final decision and counter unforeseen attacks.
4. What is better than wasting or leaving forces idle according to Clausewitz?
(a) Using them in a flank attack.
(b) Sending them home.
(c) Using them properly.
(d) Misusing them.
5. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) As a way for generals to fight boredom.
(b) As a necessity for the economy.
(c) As a one time event that politicians cannot control.
(d) As a continuation of policy by other means.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
2. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
3. What does Clausewitz call the area where military action occurs?
4. How does Clausewitz call the advantage a defense army has over an offensive army?
5. What does Clausewitz compare the old "art of war" to to conclude its uselessness?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)