Eight Week Quiz C
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 2, On The Theory of War : Chapter 5, Method & Routine, Critical Analysis, Historical Examples.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What led to the need for a theory on the "art of war," according to Clausewtiz?
(a) The need to sell more books.
(b) The need to train more efficient Generals.
(c) Reflections on the events of war.
(d) The creation of war colleges.
2. How does Clausewitz qualify the task of creating a scientific theory for the conduct of war?
3. What does Clausewitz tell the reader about his view on formal education?
(a) That he despises teachers.
(b) Not to confuse them for lack of respect.
(c) That he wants to be a teacher.
(d) That he doesn't care about formal education.
4. According to Clausewitz, why should events be studied one by one and in great detail?
(a) Because it is easier to read.
(b) Because one cannot draw conclusions from an even smaller number of cases.
(c) Because Napoleon's style was unique.
(d) Because there are not a lot of elements to study.
5. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
(a) As a way for generals to fight boredom.
(b) As a continuation of policy by other means.
(c) As a necessity for the economy.
(d) As a one time event that politicians cannot control.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theory does Clausewitz think many people have difficulty with?
2. What does Clausewitz mean by "Destroying the enemy?"
3. What does Clausewitz claim as a vital component of critical analysis?
4. Why should someone study memoirs of past commanders according to Clausewitz?
5. What does Clausewitz say influences the answers provided by men about the war?
This section contains 331 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)