|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Book 1, On The Nature of War : Chapter 2, Purpose & Means, On Military Genius & Danger in War.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the two sure ways to defeat an enemy according to Clausewitz?
(a) To destroy his armies and invade his country.
(b) To blockade his ports and wait for his surrender.
(c) To destroy his armies and blockade his country.
(d) To defeat his allies and take his women.
2. How is Book 7 "On Attack" seen by Clausewitz?
(a) An independent book in the series.
(b) The counter part of Book 6, "On Defense."
(c) A conclusion.
(d) The introduction to Book 8, "War-Plans."
3. What definition does Clausewitz give of wearing down the enemy?
(a) Gradual exhaustion of horses.
(b) Gradual exhaustion of physical and moral resistance.
(c) Gradual exhaustion of ammunition.
(d) Gradual exhaustion of commanding officers.
4. What type of operations does Clausewitz say can help in the outcome of war?
(a) Operations to try to destroy the enemy's army.
(b) Operations of political significance.
(c) Operations to try to occupy more land.
(d) Operations to try to capture the capital city of the enemy.
5. How does Clausewitz sees the first 6 books he wrote in his notes?
(a) As a ready to publish version.
(b) As being stolen from another author.
(c) As a formless mass that needs to be reworked.
(d) As a rough draft.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clausewitz sees war in Book 1, Chapter 1?
2. What definition of war does Clausewitz give?
3. What qualifies military geniuses according to Clausewitz?
4. According to Clausewitz, what general would never have prevailed had he fought like Charles XII?
5. What is the aim of war according to Clausewitz?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)