|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the road in Missouri lined with?
2. What were the Wilders able to eat a lot of as they passed through Kansas?
3. What does Laura say is common in Lane County?
4. What river in Kansas did the Wilders cross a few times?
5. How did Laura respond to the missing money?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura find shortly after crossing the Kansas River?
2. What did the land that the Wilders purchased include?
3. How was the missing money found?
4. What did the Wilders do on their Sundays while traveling?
5. What facts did Laura give about Mansfield after she arrived there?
6. What did Laura do while Almanzo worked on clearing the land?
7. What was the first chore Rose was given on the new land?
8. What happened to one of the horses in Rossville?
9. What did the Wilders get when they were in Fort Scott?
10. Who did Almanzo get to help clear his land, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react?
Essay Topic 2
Anger and the consequences of it is a huge theme presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Why did the Wilders choose to leave De Smet, and what affects will their absence have on the people left behind?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)