|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rose name the lost dog found in Kansas?
2. Who preserved the Wilder farm in Mansfield?
3. Why did people in Kansas not like Missouri?
4. How did Laura describe the Ozarks?
5. What did Laura and Almanzo do before purchasing their land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the major drawback that Laura found when she got to Mansfield?
2. How did Laura say the cornfields in Missouri compared to those in Kansas?
3. What did the Wilder family do on the first Sunday they were in Missouri?
4. What did Laura do while Almanzo worked on clearing the land?
5. Why did the people around Fort Scott not farm the good land outside of the town?
6. What facts did Laura give about Mansfield after she arrived there?
7. What did Laura find shortly after crossing the Kansas River?
8. What was the first chore Rose was given on the new land?
9. What did the land that the Wilders purchased include?
10. What did the Wilders think of Springfield, and what did they do there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main differences that the Wilders observed as they took their journey west, and how do these changes affect the family?
Essay Topic 2
Laura was fascinated with the Russian immigrants she met. What caused this fascination, and how did it affect her demeanor for the remainder of the trip?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the Wilders choose to leave De Smet, and what affects will their absence have on the people left behind?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)