|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Wilders able to cross more ground per day in Kansas?
2. What kind of house was on the new land?
3. What did Laura eat in Missouri without knowing what it was?
4. What did the new land have many acres of?
5. What religion were the people in St. Marys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Wilder family do on the first Sunday they were in Missouri?
2. What happened to one of the horses in Rossville?
3. What did the Wilders get when they were in Fort Scott?
4. When did the Wilders get to Mansfield?
5. Where had Sherwin settled, and how was this discovered?
6. What did Laura say about all the bad comments they heard from people about Missouri?
7. What did the Wilders do on their Sundays while traveling?
8. What did Rose and her friends do while their parents looked for homes in the area?
9. How was the missing money found?
10. What did Laura find shortly after crossing the Kansas River?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tone changes frequently in this book. What are the major places where this change in tone comes about, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the main differences that the Wilders observed as they took their journey west, and how do these changes affect the family?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the lap desk play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the lap desk?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)