|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Laura standing in the picture that shows Almanzo and the horse team?
2. How did Laura respond to the missing money?
3. What was the longest distance the Wilders traveled in one day while in Kansas?
4. Where did the Wilders live when they first got to Mansfield?
5. What kind of building did Laura get excited to see in Missouri?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Laura describe St. Marys?
2. How did Laura feel about her surroundings as she neared the border of Missouri?
3. What did Laura think happened to the missing money, and why?
4. Where did the Wilders live while they worked on getting a home?
5. When did the Wilders get to Mansfield?
6. What did the Wilders think of Springfield, and what did they do there?
7. How did Almanzo go about finding a piece of good land he could afford?
8. What was the first chore Rose was given on the new land?
9. What facts did Laura give about Mansfield after she arrived there?
10. What did the Wilder family do on the first Sunday they were in Missouri?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main differences that the Wilders observed as they took their journey west, and how do these changes affect the family?
Essay Topic 2
Where did the theme of technology appear in this book, and how did it change the course of the Wilder's journey?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the lap desk play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the lap desk?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)