|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Wilders live off of before the missing money was found?
2. What was so beautiful to Laura about Jones Spring?
3. What kind of fruit did Almanzo want to grow on his land?
4. Where did Prince get spooked?
5. What was the name of Paul's brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Almanzo go about finding a piece of good land he could afford?
2. When did the Wilders get to Mansfield?
3. Who did Almanzo get to help clear his land, and why?
4. What did Laura notice was different about things in Lane, Kansas?
5. What, in Topeka, impressed Laura?
6. Why did the people around Fort Scott not farm the good land outside of the town?
7. What was the first chore Rose was given on the new land?
8. What did Rose and her friends do while their parents looked for homes in the area?
9. What did the land that the Wilders purchased include?
10. How did Laura describe St. Marys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did the theme of technology appear in this book, and how did it change the course of the Wilder's journey?
Essay Topic 2
Almanzo is an upbeat man. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Almanzo's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Anger and the consequences of it is a huge theme presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)