|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big were the watermelons at Ash Grove?
2. What was 5 inches deep on the roadside in Kansas?
3. How did the first man they met in Missouri describe the town the Wilders were planning to move to?
4. What religion were the people in St. Marys?
5. What was Laura's favorite town in Kansas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura joke about when she heard cowbells in a field in Missouri?
2. What did Laura find shortly after crossing the Kansas River?
3. What happened to one of the horses in Rossville?
4. When did the Wilders get to Mansfield?
5. What did Laura do while Almanzo worked on clearing the land?
6. How was the missing money found?
7. What did Rose and her friends do while their parents looked for homes in the area?
8. Why did the people around Fort Scott not farm the good land outside of the town?
9. What did the land that the Wilders purchased include?
10. Where did the Wilders live while they worked on getting a home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose feels very strongly that childhood is an integral part of a person's personality. Why does she feel this way, and what evidence does she present to support her statement? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are Rose's final words in the book, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Anger and the consequences of it is a huge theme presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)