|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Laura do for an entire afternoon in the Missouri city with fine houses and booming businesses?
2. What kind of animal was Spookendyke?
3. How did Laura describe the Ozarks?
4. How long did it take for Almanzo to clear all the land?
5. What was so beautiful to Laura about Jones Spring?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura say about all the bad comments they heard from people about Missouri?
2. What did the Wilder family do on the first Sunday they were in Missouri?
3. Why did the people around Fort Scott not farm the good land outside of the town?
4. What, in Topeka, impressed Laura?
5. How did Laura describe St. Marys?
6. What did Rose and her friends do while their parents looked for homes in the area?
7. Who did Almanzo get to help clear his land, and why?
8. When did the Wilders get to Mansfield?
9. What did Laura do while Almanzo worked on clearing the land?
10. How did Laura say the cornfields in Missouri compared to those in Kansas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Almanzo is an upbeat man. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Almanzo's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react?
Essay Topic 3
Laura was fascinated with the Russian immigrants she met. What caused this fascination, and how did it affect her demeanor for the remainder of the trip?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)