|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Almanzo sell many of his cooking mats in Kansas?
2. What time did the Wilders reach their destination?
3. What kind of fruit did Almanzo want to grow on his land?
4. What kind of house was on the new land?
5. What was the name of the town the Wilders were moving to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Wilders do on their Sundays while traveling?
2. Why did the people around Fort Scott not farm the good land outside of the town?
3. What did the Wilders get when they were in Fort Scott?
4. How did Almanzo go about finding a piece of good land he could afford?
5. What does the first picture included of Mansfield show?
6. What did Rose and her friends do while their parents looked for homes in the area?
7. What did Laura think happened to the missing money, and why?
8. What did the land that the Wilders purchased include?
9. What did Laura do while Almanzo worked on clearing the land?
10. How did Laura say the cornfields in Missouri compared to those in Kansas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose feels very strongly that childhood is an integral part of a person's personality. Why does she feel this way, and what evidence does she present to support her statement? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Anger and the consequences of it is a huge theme presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Almanzo is an upbeat man. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Almanzo's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)