|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What had to be reset in Schuyler?
2. What did the animals pulling the wagons get cut on occasionally?
3. What did the Wilders call the place where they chose to move to?
4. Why did the Wilders camp in ravines while in Nebraska?
5. How big was the item that Laura marveled at while crossing Nebraska?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
2. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
3. What made Laura happy about the ferry crossing?
4. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
5. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
6. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
7. What does Laura say is strange to her about rivers and lakes?
8. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
9. What are the three "Miss" States that Rose talks about in the first chapter?
10. What did the Wilders see in Yankton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the main differences that the Wilders observed as they took their journey west, and how do these changes affect the family?
Essay Topic 2
The tone changes frequently in this book. What are the major places where this change in tone comes about, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Laura was fascinated with the Russian immigrants she met. What caused this fascination, and how did it affect her demeanor for the remainder of the trip?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)