|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles did the Wilders usually cover in a day during their journey?
2. How are the fields in South Dakota described?
3. What did travelers on the trail say about Missouri?
4. What kind of wagon did the family traveling with the Wilders have?
5. What format is Chapter 2 written in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Rose and her friends do while their parents looked for homes in the area?
2. What did Laura find shortly after crossing the Kansas River?
3. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
4. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
5. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
6. What, in Topeka, impressed Laura?
7. How did Laura pass the time while the tires were being reset?
8. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
9. How did Mr. Sherwin convince the Wilders of where to move their family to?
10. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
Essay Topic 1
What role does the lap desk play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the lap desk?
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react?
Essay Topic 3
Almanzo is an upbeat man. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Almanzo's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)