|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did one woman say all the people in Missouri had never seen?
2. How high was the grain that the Wilders saw in the fields in South Dakota?
3. Where did Rose's parents get married?
4. What town was Rose born in?
5. What format is Chapter 2 written in?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
2. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
3. What did the Wilders think of Lincoln?
4. What did Laura do to prepare for her family's trip?
5. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
6. What did the immigrants give the Wilders when they left, and why?
7. What did the wind in Yankton cause the Wilders to do with their wagon?
8. Why did Mr. Cooley wish they had taken a more westernly route?
9. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
10. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why did the Wilders choose to leave De Smet, and what affects will their absence have on the people left behind?
Essay Topic 2
Where did the theme of technology appear in this book, and how did it change the course of the Wilder's journey?
Essay Topic 3
Almanzo is an upbeat man. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Almanzo's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)