|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many wagons were included in the traveling party the Wilders were in?
2. What did the Wilders call the place where they chose to move to?
3. What was the date of the last day of the journey?
4. Where did Rose's parents get married?
5. How long did the Wilders travel before leaving South Dakota?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Laura happy about the ferry crossing?
2. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
3. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
4. How did Laura pass the time while the tires were being reset?
5. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
6. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
7. What did the Wilders think of Lincoln?
8. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
9. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
10. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened to the $100 bill, and what did this situation reveal about each of the Wilder family members?
Essay Topic 2
Anger and the consequences of it is a huge theme presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Almanzo is an upbeat man. How does this major feature about him affect the people around him? What are people's first impressions of him, and how does this affect Almanzo's capacity to lead? Make sure you support your answers with examples from the text.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)