|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Wilders camp in ravines while in Nebraska?
2. Why did Almanzo choose to take a ridge road?
3. The price of which of the following items was NOT listed in Chapter 2?
4. How long did the Wilders travel before leaving South Dakota?
5. What river did the Wilders get to when the temperature finally dropped below 100 degrees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
2. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
3. How did Laura pass the time while the tires were being reset?
4. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
5. What did the Wilders see in Yankton?
6. What does Laura say is strange to her about rivers and lakes?
7. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
8. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
9. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
10. What are the three "Miss" States that Rose talks about in the first chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What happened to the $100 bill, and what did this situation reveal about each of the Wilder family members?
Essay Topic 2
What are Rose's final words in the book, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Where did the theme of technology appear in this book, and how did it change the course of the Wilder's journey?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)