|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles an hour did the wagons travel?
2. What animals were used to pull the wagons on the trip?
3. Why did Almanzo choose to take a ridge road?
4. Why did the Wilders camp in ravines while in Nebraska?
5. How many towns did the Wilders pass every day they were in Nebraska?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura do to prepare for her family's trip?
2. How did Mr. Sherwin convince the Wilders of where to move their family to?
3. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
4. How did Laura pass the time while the tires were being reset?
5. What is Laura's longest entry of the entire trip about?
6. Why did Mr. Cooley wish they had taken a more westernly route?
7. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
8. What made Laura happy about the ferry crossing?
9. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
10. What did the wind in Yankton cause the Wilders to do with their wagon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Laura has her own theory for how women should be allowed to act. What is this theory, and how does her life exemplify this?
Essay Topic 2
What are Rose's final words in the book, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Who is involved in clearing the land at the Wilder farm, and what do they each have to gain by doing this?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)