|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the journey to the Wilder's new home?
2. How did the Wilders cross the Platte River?
3. Who went to find the Cooley's dog?
4. What animals were used to pull the wagons on the trip?
5. What did one woman say all the people in Missouri had never seen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
2. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
3. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
4. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
5. Why did Mr. Cooley wish they had taken a more westernly route?
6. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
7. How did Mr. Sherwin convince the Wilders of where to move their family to?
8. What did the Wilders see in Yankton?
9. What happened on the 5th of August?
10. What made Laura happy about the ferry crossing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Laura has her own theory for how women should be allowed to act. What is this theory, and how does her life exemplify this?
Essay Topic 2
Who is involved in clearing the land at the Wilder farm, and what do they each have to gain by doing this?
Essay Topic 3
The people in this narrative all had their own goals and motivations. Select 4 people and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the people around them.
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)