|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT considered one of the "Miss" States to Rose at the beginning of the book?
2. What animals were used to pull the wagons on the trip?
3. How many families were traveling in the party the Wilders were a part of?
4. How high was the temperature on the first day of the journey?
5. How long did it take for the Wilders to travel through Nebraska?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Laura's longest entry of the entire trip about?
2. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
3. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
4. What happened on the 5th of August?
5. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
6. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
7. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
8. What does Laura say is strange to her about rivers and lakes?
9. What did the wind in Yankton cause the Wilders to do with their wagon?
10. What was so different about Stanton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people in this narrative all had their own goals and motivations. Select 4 people and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 2
What happened to the $100 bill, and what did this situation reveal about each of the Wilder family members?
Essay Topic 3
Laura has her own theory for how women should be allowed to act. What is this theory, and how does her life exemplify this?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)