|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Rose when she started her journey?
2. How many "Miss" states did Rose know about at the beginning of the book?
3. What was Laura's maiden name?
4. What animals were used to pull the wagons on the trip?
5. How many families were traveling in the party the Wilders were a part of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the immigrants give the Wilders when they left, and why?
2. What did the Wilders see in Yankton?
3. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
4. What did Laura call the James River, and why?
5. Why did Mr. Cooley wish they had taken a more westernly route?
6. How did Mr. Sherwin convince the Wilders of where to move their family to?
7. How did Laura pass the time while the tires were being reset?
8. How did the Wilders store the money they saved up for their trip?
9. What are the three "Miss" States that Rose talks about in the first chapter?
10. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose feels very strongly that childhood is an integral part of a person's personality. Why does she feel this way, and what evidence does she present to support her statement? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What are Rose's final words in the book, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Anger and the consequences of it is a huge theme presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)