Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Wilders do when they stopped with the Canadian woman?
2. How long did the crops fail in the place Rose was born?
3. How is the writing style of Chapter 1 different from the other chapters?
4. Why did the Wilders camp in ravines while in Nebraska?
5. What did Almanzo hate most about Nebraska?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Wilder family do on the first Sunday they were in Missouri?
2. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
3. Who did Almanzo get to help clear his land, and why?
4. How did Laura describe St. Marys?
5. How did Rose's parents make money before heading on their journey?
6. What, in Topeka, impressed Laura?
7. How did Almanzo go about finding a piece of good land he could afford?
8. What did Laura do while Almanzo worked on clearing the land?
9. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
10. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
Essay Topic 1
What role does the lap desk play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the lap desk?
Essay Topic 2
Where did the theme of technology appear in this book, and how did it change the course of the Wilder's journey?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main differences that the Wilders observed as they took their journey west, and how do these changes affect the family?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)