|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the animals pulling the wagons get cut on occasionally?
2. How much money a week did Laura earn?
3. What kind of wagon did the family traveling with the Wilders have?
4. How many hours a week would Laura usually work at the beginning of the book?
5. How long did the Wilders travel before leaving South Dakota?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
2. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
3. How did Laura pass the time while the tires were being reset?
4. What did the Wilders think of Lincoln?
5. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
6. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
7. What did the wind in Yankton cause the Wilders to do with their wagon?
8. What made Laura happy about the ferry crossing?
9. What did Laura do to prepare for her family's trip?
10. What is Laura's longest entry of the entire trip about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger and the consequences of it is a huge theme presented in this book. Using the text, cite 3- 4 examples of how characters acting out of anger altered the course of the plot.
Essay Topic 2
What role does the lap desk play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the lap desk?
Essay Topic 3
What happened to the $100 bill, and what did this situation reveal about each of the Wilder family members?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)