|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of signs were NOT posted in Nebraska?
2. What did the people in Nebraska say would be needed for their crops to succeed?
3. What format is Chapter 2 written in?
4. How many miles an hour did the wagons travel?
5. What did the animals pulling the wagons get cut on occasionally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the immigrants give the Wilders when they left, and why?
2. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
3. What did the Wilders see in Yankton?
4. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
5. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
6. What made Laura happy about the ferry crossing?
7. What does Laura say is strange to her about rivers and lakes?
8. What happened on the 5th of August?
9. What was so different about Stanton?
10. What did the Wilders buy when near the James River, and how much did they pay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Rose's final words in the book, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Creativity and Curiosity are two traits that Rose sees in her father. How do these traits make him different than other men, and how does this affect his relationships with his wife and daughter?
Essay Topic 3
Why did the Wilders choose to leave De Smet, and what affects will their absence have on the people left behind?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)