|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the date of the first day of the journey?
2. What was the date of the last day of the journey?
3. What was Laura's occupation at the beginning of the book?
4. What spooked one of the Cooley's horses in the big city in Nebraska?
5. What did the animals pulling the wagons get cut on occasionally?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Almanzo go about finding a piece of good land he could afford?
2. When did the Wilders get to Mansfield?
3. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
4. How did Laura say the cornfields in Missouri compared to those in Kansas?
5. What did the Wilders think of Lincoln?
6. What did Laura find shortly after crossing the Kansas River?
7. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
8. What did Laura call the James River, and why?
9. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
10. What did Laura think happened to the missing money, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is involved in clearing the land at the Wilder farm, and what do they each have to gain by doing this?
Essay Topic 2
Which person from this book did you relate with the most? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Laura was fascinated with the Russian immigrants she met. What caused this fascination, and how did it affect her demeanor for the remainder of the trip?
This section contains 1,158 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)