|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the date of the first day of the journey?
2. How many bushels did Almanzo say a big grain field in South Dakota would reap at harvest?
3. What did Almanzo hate most about Nebraska?
4. What city was the biggest they all saw in Nebraska?
5. What was Laura's maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on the 5th of August?
2. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
3. How did the Wilders store the money they saved up for their trip?
4. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
5. What did the Wilders see in Yankton?
6. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
7. What did Laura call the James River, and why?
8. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
9. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
10. What made Laura happy about the ferry crossing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react?
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of unlikely friendships forged in this book. Please explain some of these friendships, and describe how their relationship was forged, as well as how this relationship affected the outcome of the book.
Essay Topic 3
Who is involved in clearing the land at the Wilder farm, and what do they each have to gain by doing this?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)