|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Almanzo use to make a wagon for his family?
2. Which of the following was NOT considered one of the "Miss" States to Rose at the beginning of the book?
3. What color was the Wilder's make-shift wagon painted?
4. How did the Wilders cross the Platte River?
5. What was Almanzo's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Laura's longest entry of the entire trip about?
2. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
3. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
4. What did the Wilders see in Yankton?
5. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
6. What did the Wilders think of Lincoln?
7. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
8. What happened on the 5th of August?
9. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
10. What was so different about Stanton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tone changes frequently in this book. What are the major places where this change in tone comes about, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
The people in this narrative all had their own goals and motivations. Select 4 people and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 3
Creativity and Curiosity are two traits that Rose sees in her father. How do these traits make him different than other men, and how does this affect his relationships with his wife and daughter?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)