|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What became more common as the Wilders neared the Kansas Border?
2. How many wagons did the family traveling with the Wilders have?
3. What city was the biggest they all saw in Nebraska?
4. What did Almanzo use to make a wagon for his family?
5. What caused the banks to collapse in the place where Rose was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
2. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
3. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
4. What did the Wilders think of Springfield, and what did they do there?
5. What was the first chore Rose was given on the new land?
6. Who did Almanzo get to help clear his land, and why?
7. What does the first picture included of Mansfield show?
8. How did the Wilders store the money they saved up for their trip?
9. What did the wind in Yankton cause the Wilders to do with their wagon?
10. What did Laura think happened to the missing money, and why?
Essay Topic 1
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react?
Essay Topic 2
The people in this narrative all had their own goals and motivations. Select 4 people and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 3
The tone changes frequently in this book. What are the major places where this change in tone comes about, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 1,195 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)