|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did one woman say all the people in Missouri had never seen?
2. How many towns did the Wilders pass every day they were in Nebraska?
3. What was the date of the last day of the journey?
4. Where did Rose's parents get married?
5. How is the wind in South Dakota described?
Short Essay Questions
1. What made Laura happy about the ferry crossing?
2. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
3. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
4. What did the Wilders buy when near the James River, and how much did they pay?
5. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
6. How did Rose's parents make money before heading on their journey?
7. What are the three "Miss" States that Rose talks about in the first chapter?
8. What was so different about Stanton?
9. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
10. How did Laura pass the time while the tires were being reset?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did the theme of technology appear in this book, and how did it change the course of the Wilder's journey?
Essay Topic 2
What are Rose's final words in the book, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 3
What are the main differences that the Wilders observed as they took their journey west, and how do these changes affect the family?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)