|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Rose's parents get sick with at the beginning of the book?
2. What did Sherwin call the place where the Wilders chose to move to?
3. What kind of traders did the Wilders avoid camping by after they crossed the Elkhorn Bridge?
4. What did Sherwin send with his letters to the Wilders?
5. Where did Rose's parents get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
2. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
3. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
4. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
5. What did the Wilders buy when near the James River, and how much did they pay?
6. What did the Wilders see in Yankton?
7. What are the three "Miss" States that Rose talks about in the first chapter?
8. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
9. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
10. How did the Wilders store the money they saved up for their trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is involved in clearing the land at the Wilder farm, and what do they each have to gain by doing this?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the lap desk play in the story, and what does it symbolize? How is the plot altered by the presence of the lap desk?
Essay Topic 3
Where did the theme of technology appear in this book, and how did it change the course of the Wilder's journey?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)