|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the date of the first day of the journey?
2. What did the Wilders call the place where they chose to move to?
3. How did the Wilders supplement their food supply while traveling through Nebraska?
4. What is the only day that was NOT discussed in the time span of Chapter 2?
5. How long did the crops fail in the place Rose was born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
2. How did Rose's parents make money before heading on their journey?
3. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
4. What is Laura's longest entry of the entire trip about?
5. Why did Mr. Cooley wish they had taken a more westernly route?
6. How did Laura pass the time while the tires were being reset?
7. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
8. What did the wind in Yankton cause the Wilders to do with their wagon?
9. What did Laura do to prepare for her family's trip?
10. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tone changes frequently in this book. What are the major places where this change in tone comes about, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Which person from this book did you relate with the most? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Laura has her own theory for how women should be allowed to act. What is this theory, and how does her life exemplify this?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)