|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much was an acre of land selling for in Beldon, Nebraska?
2. What color was the Wilder's make-shift wagon painted?
3. How many "Miss" states did Rose know about at the beginning of the book?
4. How is the wind in South Dakota described?
5. How did the Wilders supplement their food supply while traveling through Nebraska?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
2. What is Laura's longest entry of the entire trip about?
3. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
4. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
5. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
6. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
7. Why did Mr. Cooley wish they had taken a more westernly route?
8. How did Rose's parents make money before heading on their journey?
9. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
10. What happened on the 5th of August?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Rose's final words in the book, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 2
The people in this narrative all had their own goals and motivations. Select 4 people and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the people around them.
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy is a pretty strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)