|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What got lost on August 5th?
2. How wide was the Platte River?
3. How long did the crops fail in the place Rose was born?
4. What had to be reset in Schuyler?
5. What is the only day that was NOT discussed in the time span of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
2. Why did Mr. Cooley wish they had taken a more westernly route?
3. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
4. What did the immigrants give the Wilders when they left, and why?
5. What did the Wilders think of Lincoln?
6. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
7. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
8. What is Laura's longest entry of the entire trip about?
9. What did the wind in Yankton cause the Wilders to do with their wagon?
10. What are the three "Miss" States that Rose talks about in the first chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rose feels very strongly that childhood is an integral part of a person's personality. Why does she feel this way, and what evidence does she present to support her statement? Do you agree with her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What happened to the $100 bill, and what did this situation reveal about each of the Wilder family members?
Essay Topic 3
Laura was fascinated with the Russian immigrants she met. What caused this fascination, and how did it affect her demeanor for the remainder of the trip?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)