|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the date of the first day of the journey?
2. What caused the banks to collapse in the place where Rose was born?
3. How is the wind in South Dakota described?
4. What did the Wilders do when they stopped with the Canadian woman?
5. What county did the Wilders see the farm conditions start to improve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
2. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
3. How did Mr. Sherwin convince the Wilders of where to move their family to?
4. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
5. What does Laura say is strange to her about rivers and lakes?
6. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
7. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
8. What did the wind in Yankton cause the Wilders to do with their wagon?
9. How did Rose's parents make money before heading on their journey?
10. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are a number of unlikely friendships forged in this book. Please explain some of these friendships, and describe how their relationship was forged, as well as how this relationship affected the outcome of the book.
Essay Topic 2
Creativity and Curiosity are two traits that Rose sees in her father. How do these traits make him different than other men, and how does this affect his relationships with his wife and daughter?
Essay Topic 3
Which person from this book did you relate with the most? Why is this? How did this person change throughout the book?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)