|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of people lived in Stanton?
2. Where did the animals pulling the wagons generally get watered?
3. How much was an acre of land selling for in Beldon, Nebraska?
4. Where was the Canadian woman from?
5. What became more common as the Wilders neared the Kansas Border?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
2. How did Almanzo get the wagon for his family to travel in?
3. What did the immigrants give the Wilders when they left, and why?
4. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
5. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
6. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
7. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
8. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
9. What is Laura's longest entry of the entire trip about?
10. How did Mr. Sherwin convince the Wilders of where to move their family to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where did the theme of technology appear in this book, and how did it change the course of the Wilder's journey?
Essay Topic 2
What are Rose's final words in the book, and what do they imply? How do these words sum up the entire theme of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Who is involved in clearing the land at the Wilder farm, and what do they each have to gain by doing this?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)