|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How high was the temperature on the first day of the journey?
(a) 82 degrees.
(b) 92 degrees.
(c) 72 degrees.
(d) 102 degress.
2. How big was the item that Laura marveled at while crossing Nebraska?
(a) 5 inches.
(b) 10 inches.
(c) 7.5 inches.
(d) 2.5 inches.
3. What did Almanzo hate most about Nebraska?
(a) The Wind.
(b) The Flatness.
(c) The Heat.
(d) The Dust.
4. What town was Rose born in?
(a) De Ville.
(b) De Varen.
(c) De Smithe.
(d) De Smet.
5. What did the animals pulling the wagons get cut on occasionally?
(a) Arrow heads.
(b) Sharp rocks.
(c) Fence posts.
(d) Barbed wire.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the fields in South Dakota described?
2. The price of which of the following items was NOT listed in Chapter 2?
3. Where did the animals pulling the wagons generally get watered?
4. What was the date of the last day of the journey?
5. What did Rose always do a few years beyond her grade level?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of pictures are included with the first chapter of this book?
2. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
3. What did local farmers in Nebraska say about their fields that looked as though they were doing well?
4. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
5. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
6. How did Laura describe the conditions of the farms by the James River?
7. What are the three "Miss" States that Rose talks about in the first chapter?
8. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
9. What was so different about Stanton?
10. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)