|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sherwin send with his letters to the Wilders?
(b) Newspaper articles.
(d) Extra postage.
2. What became more common as the Wilders neared the Kansas Border?
(b) Large cities.
(c) Traveling parties.
(d) Wheat fields.
3. How is the wind in South Dakota described?
(a) Cold and dry.
(b) Hot and dry.
(c) Hot and wet.
(d) Cold and wet.
4. Where did the Wilders keep the money they saved up for their trip?
(a) The writing desk.
(b) The hem of Rose's dress.
(c) The flour bucket.
(d) Almanzo's hat.
5. What did the animals pulling the wagons get cut on occasionally?
(a) Barbed wire.
(b) Fence posts.
(c) Sharp rocks.
(d) Arrow heads.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was NOT considered one of the "Miss" States to Rose at the beginning of the book?
2. Where did the Wilders decide to move when the banks started failing?
3. How long was the journey to the Wilder's new home?
4. Why did the Cooleys want to take a more Westernly route?
5. What county did the Wilders see the farm conditions start to improve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
2. What did Laura marvel at while passing a farm in Nebraska?
3. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
4. What are the three "Miss" States that Rose talks about in the first chapter?
5. What did Almanzo buy a bunch of before the trip, and why?
6. What did the wind in Yankton cause the Wilders to do with their wagon?
7. What made Laura happy about the ferry crossing?
8. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
9. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
10. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)