|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rose always do a few years beyond her grade level?
2. What kind of traders did the Wilders avoid camping by after they crossed the Elkhorn Bridge?
(a) Horse traders.
(b) Land traders.
(c) Money lenders.
(d) Cow traders.
3. What is the only day that was NOT discussed in the time span of Chapter 2?
(a) August 11th.
(b) August 1st.
(c) July 21st.
(d) June 1st.
4. How is the writing style of Chapter 1 different from the other chapters?
(a) It is written from the viewpoint of a child.
(b) It is a journal entry.
(c) It is told in the first person.
(d) It is told in the third person.
5. Why did the Wilders camp in ravines while in Nebraska?
(a) To escape the animals.
(b) To hide from Indians.
(c) To avoid the wind.
(d) To build campfires.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time in the morning did the Wilders usually begin traveling?
2. Who wrote Chapter 2 of this book?
3. Who went to find the Cooley's dog?
4. The price of which of the following items was NOT listed in Chapter 2?
5. How much money did Rose's father earn while on jury duty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the immigrants give the Wilders when they left, and why?
2. What are the three "Miss" States that Rose talks about in the first chapter?
3. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
4. How did the Wilders store the money they saved up for their trip?
5. What did Laura do to prepare for her family's trip?
6. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
7. What did the Wilders see in Yankton?
8. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
9. What was so different about Stanton?
10. How did Mr. Sherwin convince the Wilders of where to move their family to?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)