|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the Wilders do when they stopped with the Canadian woman?
(a) Sold supplies.
(b) Swapped stories.
(c) Sang songs.
(d) Avoided each other.
2. How long did the crops fail in the place Rose was born?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 6 years.
(d) 8 years.
3. How is the writing style of Chapter 1 different from the other chapters?
(a) It is written from the viewpoint of a child.
(b) It is a journal entry.
(c) It is told in the first person.
(d) It is told in the third person.
4. Why did the Wilders camp in ravines while in Nebraska?
(a) To hide from Indians.
(b) To avoid the wind.
(c) To build campfires.
(d) To escape the animals.
5. What did Almanzo hate most about Nebraska?
(a) The Dust.
(b) The Heat.
(c) The Flatness.
(d) The Wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the Canadian woman from?
2. What was the date of the first day of the journey?
3. Where did the Wilders come across the group of immigrants?
4. How much money did Rose's father earn while on jury duty?
5. What river did the Wilders get to when the temperature finally dropped below 100 degrees?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Wilder family do on the first Sunday they were in Missouri?
2. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
3. Who did Almanzo get to help clear his land, and why?
4. How did Laura describe St. Marys?
5. How did Rose's parents make money before heading on their journey?
6. What, in Topeka, impressed Laura?
7. How did Almanzo go about finding a piece of good land he could afford?
8. What did Laura do while Almanzo worked on clearing the land?
9. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
10. Why did one woman call the people in Missouri hovels?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)