|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did the Wilders travel before leaving South Dakota?
(a) 1 week.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 1 day.
2. What animals were used to pull the wagons on the trip?
3. How many hours a week would Laura usually work at the beginning of the book?
4. How long was Rose's father on jury duty?
(a) 5 days.
(b) 4 weeks.
(c) 4 days.
(d) 5 weeks.
5. What kind of group picture is included in the first chapter?
(a) A school class.
(b) A baseball team.
(c) A choir.
(d) A church class.
Short Answer Questions
1. How wide was the Platte River?
2. What time in the morning did the Wilders usually begin traveling?
3. What did Almanzo hate most about Nebraska?
4. What did one woman say all the people in Missouri had never seen?
5. Where did the Wilders keep the money they saved up for their trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Wilders so anxious to get on their journey when the weather got good?
2. What caused the Wilders to want to move from South Dakota?
3. What does Laura say is strange to her about rivers and lakes?
4. What services were the Wilders able to get in Yankton, and what were they surprised to not be able to find there?
5. What did Laura do to prepare for her family's trip?
6. What did the Wilders buy when near the James River, and how much did they pay?
7. What happened when the Cooleys lost their dog along the trip?
8. Why did Mr. Cooley wish they had taken a more westernly route?
9. What did Laura insist the children do while they swam in the James River, and why?
10. What happened on the 5th of August?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)