|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Laura's occupation at the beginning of the book?
2. Where did the Wilders come across the group of immigrants?
(a) Hutchinson County.
(b) Haroldson Township.
(c) Hendrickson County.
(d) Henderson City.
3. How old was Rose when she started her journey?
4. What did Almanzo use to make a wagon for his family?
(a) A hack.
(b) A freight wagon.
(c) A buggy.
(d) A couple of feed boxes.
5. Why did a man not let the Wilders camp on his property?
(a) They were leaving their property.
(b) They were afraid to be robbed.
(c) There were too many traveling immigrants.
(d) They did not like Americans.
6. How much money did Rose's father earn while on jury duty?
7. Who wrote Chapter 2 of this book?
8. How many hours a week would Laura usually work at the beginning of the book?
9. Why did the Wilders camp in ravines while in Nebraska?
(a) To avoid the wind.
(b) To hide from Indians.
(c) To escape the animals.
(d) To build campfires.
10. What spooked one of the Cooley's horses in the big city in Nebraska?
(a) A cougar.
(b) A large black man.
(c) A motor car.
(d) A train.
11. Which of the following was NOT considered one of the "Miss" States to Rose at the beginning of the book?
(d) Miss Dakota.
12. What did one woman say all the people in Missouri had never seen?
(a) An organ.
(b) A real church.
(c) A motor car.
(d) A schoolhouse.
13. What kind of group picture is included in the first chapter?
(a) A church class.
(b) A baseball team.
(c) A choir.
(d) A school class.
14. How many bushels did Almanzo say a big grain field in South Dakota would reap at harvest?
(a) 3 bushels.
(b) 5 bushels.
(c) 4 bushels.
(d) 2 bushels.
15. What became more common as the Wilders neared the Kansas Border?
(b) Wheat fields.
(c) Traveling parties.
(d) Large cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the animals pulling the wagons get cut on occasionally?
2. What caused the banks to collapse in the place where Rose was born?
3. What kind of signs were NOT posted in Nebraska?
4. Why did the Cooleys want to take a more Westernly route?
5. What county did the Wilders see the farm conditions start to improve?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)