• There are some pictures included in the first chapter of a school class of Rose's, Laura and Almanzo when they were married, and the lap desk.
• There was a 10-year drought in De Smet, South Dakota that ruined crops and closed the banks. The Wilders decided to move to Missouri.
• Almanzo was on a jury duty that paid him $70, and Laura worked as a seamstress. They saved up $100 for their trip, and hid a $100 bill in the lap desk.
• Laura made hard-tack and Almanzo bought asbestos cooking mats to sell along the way. Almanzo made a black wagon out of an old rig.
• The Wilders decided to travel with the Cooleys, who were more wealthy. They had two conestoga wagons.
• Mr. Sherwin sent letters and pictures of Missouri showing orchards and green fields. This helped the Wilders decide to move there to buy an apple orchard...
This section contains 1,216 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)