* There are some pictures included in the first chapter of a school class of Rose's, Laura and Almanzo when they were married, and the lap desk.
* There was a 10-year drought in De Smet, South Dakota that ruined crops and closed the banks. The Wilders decided to move to Missouri.
* Almanzo was on a jury duty that paid him $70, and Laura worked as a seamstress. They saved up $100 for their trip, and hid a $100 bill in the lap desk.
* Laura made hard-tack and Almanzo bought asbestos cooking mats to sell along the way. Almanzo made a black wagon out of an old rig.
* The Wilders decided to travel with the Cooleys, who were more wealthy. They had two conestoga wagons.
* Mr. Sherwin sent letters and pictures of Missouri showing orchards and green fields. This helped the Wilders decide to move there to buy an apple orchard.
Chapter 2 - South Dakota
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)