|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are the other men involved located, during the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
2. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
3. What is Scipio mesmerized by the sight of?
4. What do Rufus and Cotta ask Antonius and Crassus in "On the Orator"?
5. What does Cicero aim to determine in "On the Orator"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
2. What does "On the Orator" discuss?
3. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
4. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
5. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes the best friendship?
6. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
7. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
8. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
9. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
10. Describe what sharing does in relation to friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship" .
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss the paradox of pleasure and pain that comes from having friendship, according to Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss how both pain and pleasure are unavoidable in friendship.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the ending opinions and arguments of Crassus and Antonius in On the Orator. Explain why Crassus is disappointed with Antonius' thinking.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the scene where Scipio sees the cosmic universe in The Dream of Scipio. Explain what symbolism Scipio's focus of earth suggests about human connection and spirituality.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)