|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Laelius friends with?
2. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
3. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
4. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
5. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Scipio's connection to God?
2. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
3. What is the greatest danger of a friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
4. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
5. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
6. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes the best friendship?
7. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
8. What is the universe made up of, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
9. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
10. What does "On the Orator" discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Cicero's beliefs on human rights. Explain what he felt existed in all people that made them equal.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss how the role of Africanus in Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship and Chapter 5: The Dream of Scipio are both similar and yet different. Discuss how the role of Africanus is different from the other characters in each chapter of "On The Good Life."
Essay Topic 3
Explain why and how Cicero refutes the Epicurean's philosophy on what makes a happy and good life. Discuss what validates the Epicurean's ideology for reaching happiness.
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)