|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What must the apprentice orator do?
2. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
3. What does Laelius argue against the Stoics?
4. What does "On The Orator "concern itself with?
5. What does Cicero claim about the text of 'Laelius: On Friendship"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
2. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
3. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
4. Describe what "The Dream of Scipio" illustrates in relation to philosophy.
5. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
6. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
7. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
8. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
9. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
10. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss how the theme of moral goodness and virtue recur throughout Cicero's works in "On The Good Life." Discuss how those two traits connect to each chapter.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why Laelius places such great importance on having friends to live a decent life in Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss who Laelius believes friendship can only exist between and why.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)