|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero claim about the text of 'Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. What must the apprentice orator do?
3. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
4. What deep question does Laelius struggle with?
5. In "The Dream of Scipio," how many spheres is the universe made up of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
2. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
3. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
4. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
5. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
6. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
7. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
8. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
9. Describe what sharing does in relation to friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship" .
10. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the ending opinions and arguments of Crassus and Antonius in On the Orator. Explain why Crassus is disappointed with Antonius' thinking.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss Cicero's beliefs on human rights. Explain what he felt existed in all people that made them equal.
Essay Topic 3
Explain and discuss the paradox of pleasure and pain that comes from having friendship, according to Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss how both pain and pleasure are unavoidable in friendship.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)