|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laelius believe makes goods truly good?
2. What does Laelius reject about the restrictions of friendship?
3. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
4. How long does friendship last in accordance with what Laelius connects friendship to?
5. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
2. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
3. Describe what sharing does in relation to friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship" .
4. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
5. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
6. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
7. Describe how "On the Orator" ends.
8. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
9. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
10. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss how the role of Africanus in Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship and Chapter 5: The Dream of Scipio are both similar and yet different. Discuss how the role of Africanus is different from the other characters in each chapter of "On The Good Life."
Essay Topic 3
Explain why and how Cicero refutes the Epicurean's philosophy on what makes a happy and good life. Discuss what validates the Epicurean's ideology for reaching happiness.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)