|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are great orators hard to find, according to Cicero in "On the Orator"?
2. What does "The Dream of Scipio" suggest about virtuous people?
3. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
4. What does oratory require beside good speech, according to "On the Orator"?
5. What does the dream of "The Dream of Scipio" illustrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
2. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
3. What is the greatest danger of a friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
4. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes the best friendship?
5. What is Scipio's connection to God?
6. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
7. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
8. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
9. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
10. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the differences of Crassus' and Scaevola's opinion of what they believe makes a good orator. Explain how Scaevola disproves Crassus' opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what qualities Cicero outlines a good and effective ruler needs to have. Explain how Cicero's outline is a direct response to the condition of the governmental rule of the time in which Cicero writes.
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)