|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "On the Orator," what does the orator possess even in battle?
2. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
3. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
4. Where are the other men involved located, during the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
5. Who reproaches Cicero after he leaves the country, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
2. What is the greatest danger of a friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. Describe how "On the Orator" ends.
4. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
5. What is Scipio's connection to God?
6. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
7. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
8. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
9. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
10. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what qualities Cicero outlines a good and effective ruler needs to have. Explain how Cicero's outline is a direct response to the condition of the governmental rule of the time in which Cicero writes.
Essay Topic 2
Explain where the dialogue of Laelius: On Friendship came from and when it was written. Discuss why this information is important to Cicero personally and discuss how it effects the authenticity of the work.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the power of the orator in battle, to the power of a weapon in battle. Explain how the orator is most effective in holding control in a battle.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)