|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
2. Whose fate lies in the hands of Scipio, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
3. Who challenges Crassus' views with historical counter-examples?
4. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
5. What type of writing style is "Laelius: On Friendship" written in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
2. Where does Scipio go in his dream in Chapter 5?
3. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
4. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
5. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
6. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
7. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
8. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
9. What is the greatest danger of a friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
10. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the scene where Scipio sees the cosmic universe in The Dream of Scipio. Explain what symbolism Scipio's focus of earth suggests about human connection and spirituality.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differences of Crassus' and Scaevola's opinion of what they believe makes a good orator. Explain how Scaevola disproves Crassus' opinion.
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)