|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Laelius friends with?
2. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes friendship possible?
4. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
5. Who challenges Crassus' views with historical counter-examples?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what sharing does in relation to friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship" .
2. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
3. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
4. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
5. What is the universe made up of, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
6. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
7. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
8. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
9. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
10. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what qualities Cicero outlines a good and effective ruler needs to have. Explain how Cicero's outline is a direct response to the condition of the governmental rule of the time in which Cicero writes.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Laelius places such great importance on having friends to live a decent life in Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss who Laelius believes friendship can only exist between and why.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)