|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. What does Cicero claim about the text of 'Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
4. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
5. What does "Laelius: On Friendship" concern itself with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
2. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
3. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
4. What is the greatest danger of a friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
5. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
6. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
7. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
8. Describe how "On the Orator" ends.
9. What is Scipio's connection to God?
10. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain which of Cicero's works in "On The Good Life" are a response to Caesar and his rule. Discuss how Cicero feels about Caesar's dictatorial role.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the differences of Crassus' and Scaevola's opinion of what they believe makes a good orator. Explain how Scaevola disproves Crassus' opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how The Dream of Scipio is unlike any other chapter of "On The Good Life" then compare and contrast how The Dream of Scipio connects to the book's overall theme of virtue and moral goodness.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)