|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. Whose words does Cicero use to illustrate his view in "On the Orator"?
3. Where does Scipio travel in his dream?
4. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
5. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
2. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
3. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
4. What is the greatest danger of a friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
5. What does "On the Orator" discuss?
6. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
7. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
8. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
9. What is Scipio's connection to God?
10. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the scene where Scipio sees the cosmic universe in The Dream of Scipio. Explain what symbolism Scipio's focus of earth suggests about human connection and spirituality.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the ending opinions and arguments of Crassus and Antonius in On the Orator. Explain why Crassus is disappointed with Antonius' thinking.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what qualities Cicero outlines a good and effective ruler needs to have. Explain how Cicero's outline is a direct response to the condition of the governmental rule of the time in which Cicero writes.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)