|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the length like of "Dream of Scipio"?
2. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. What is "On the Orator" considered to be in comparison to the rest of "On the Good Life"?
4. According to Laelius, what is friendship in accord with?
5. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Scipio's connection to God?
2. Describe what sharing does in relation to friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship" .
3. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
4. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
5. What is the universe made up of, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
6. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
7. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
8. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
9. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
10. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the power of the orator in battle, to the power of a weapon in battle. Explain how the orator is most effective in holding control in a battle.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Cicero's philosophy in comparison to the Greek's philosophy. Discuss how they are similar and how they differ.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Greek's philosophy to the Stoic's philosophy on what makes a good and happy life.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)