|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose words does Cicero use to illustrate his view in "On the Orator"?
2. What does Laelius argue against the Stoics?
3. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
4. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes friendship possible?
5. When was Laelius born in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
3. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
4. Describe how "On the Orator" ends.
5. Where does Scipio go in his dream in Chapter 5?
6. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
7. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
8. Describe what sharing does in relation to friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship" .
9. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
10. What did the Stoics believe about the death of a friend?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss the paradox of pleasure and pain that comes from having friendship, according to Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss how both pain and pleasure are unavoidable in friendship.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the differences of Crassus' and Scaevola's opinion of what they believe makes a good orator. Explain how Scaevola disproves Crassus' opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)