|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a quality people should select in a friend, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. What must the orator master?
3. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
4. What does Cicero aim to determine in "On the Orator"?
5. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
2. What did Antonius believe is a requirement of a great orator?
3. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
4. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
5. Describe how "On the Orator" ends.
6. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
7. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
8. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
9. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
10. What is the universe made up of, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss the paradox of pleasure and pain that comes from having friendship, according to Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss how both pain and pleasure are unavoidable in friendship.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how each chapter of "On The Good Life" supports Cicero's own lifestyle and opinion of living. Discuss if you think Cicero lived the life of goodwill and virtue he suggests and outlines for his readers to be able to reach "the good life."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how The Dream of Scipio is unlike any other chapter of "On The Good Life" then compare and contrast how The Dream of Scipio connects to the book's overall theme of virtue and moral goodness.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)