|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an earth year in comparison to a cosmic year, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. Where must Scipio's soul return, according to his dream?
3. Who does Scipio greet in his dream?
4. Where does Scipio go in his dream?
5. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
2. What does "On the Orator" discuss?
3. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
4. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
5. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
6. What is Scipio's connection to God?
7. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
8. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
9. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
10. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss how the role of Africanus in Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship and Chapter 5: The Dream of Scipio are both similar and yet different. Discuss how the role of Africanus is different from the other characters in each chapter of "On The Good Life."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the differences of Crassus' and Scaevola's opinion of what they believe makes a good orator. Explain how Scaevola disproves Crassus' opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how The Dream of Scipio is unlike any other chapter of "On The Good Life" then compare and contrast how The Dream of Scipio connects to the book's overall theme of virtue and moral goodness.
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)