|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where must Scipio's soul return, according to his dream?
2. What do true friends not enjoy doing, according to Laelius?
3. Why are great orators hard to find, according to Cicero in "On the Orator"?
4. Who does Scipio greet in his dream?
5. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the greatest danger of a friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
3. Describe how "On the Orator" ends.
4. What is Scipio's connection to God?
5. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
6. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
7. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
8. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
9. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
10. When was "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Laelius places such great importance on having friends to live a decent life in Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss who Laelius believes friendship can only exist between and why.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Cicero's philosophy in comparison to the Greek's philosophy. Discuss how they are similar and how they differ.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how The Dream of Scipio is unlike any other chapter of "On The Good Life" then compare and contrast how The Dream of Scipio connects to the book's overall theme of virtue and moral goodness.
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)