|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero aim to determine in "On the Orator"?
2. What does Scipio desire in his dream?
3. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
4. According to Laelius, what is friendship in accord with?
5. What does the dream of "The Dream of Scipio" illustrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
2. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
3. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
4. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
5. Describe what sharing does in relation to friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship" .
6. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
7. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
8. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
9. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
10. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain which of Cicero's works in "On The Good Life" are a response to Caesar and his rule. Discuss how Cicero feels about Caesar's dictatorial role.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss Cicero's beliefs on human rights. Explain what he felt existed in all people that made them equal.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss how the theme of moral goodness and virtue recur throughout Cicero's works in "On The Good Life." Discuss how those two traits connect to each chapter.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)