|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are great orators hard to find, according to Cicero in "On the Orator"?
2. What does Crassus argue great orators cannot restrict themselves to?
3. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
4. How many tones does the harmony contain, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
5. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what "Laelius: On Friendship" discusses and who the speakers are.
2. What happens as the dream opens, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
3. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
4. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
5. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
6. What does "On the Orator" discuss?
7. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
8. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
9. What is the universe made up of, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
10. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Cicero's beliefs on human rights. Explain what he felt existed in all people that made them equal.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the power of the orator in battle, to the power of a weapon in battle. Explain how the orator is most effective in holding control in a battle.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)