|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "On The Orator "concern itself with?
2. According to Laelius, what is friendship in accord with?
3. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
4. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to learn in his dream?
5. Who does Laelius speak with about his friendship with Scipio?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the length and history of "The Dream of Scipio."
2. Describe what the orator must do when giving a speech.
3. What was oratory considered in the ancient world?
4. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
5. What is the purpose of the spheres of the planets, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
6. What does "On the Orator" discuss?
7. Where does Scipio go in his dream in Chapter 5?
8. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
9. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
10. What should people look for in friend according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how The Dream of Scipio is unlike any other chapter of "On The Good Life" then compare and contrast how The Dream of Scipio connects to the book's overall theme of virtue and moral goodness.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the power of the orator in battle, to the power of a weapon in battle. Explain how the orator is most effective in holding control in a battle.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Cicero's philosophy in comparison to the Greek's philosophy. Discuss how they are similar and how they differ.
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)