|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does "The Dream of Scipio" begin?
2. Who reproaches Cicero after he leaves the country, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. According to Laelius, what is friendship in accord with?
4. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
5. What does the dream of "The Dream of Scipio" illustrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Scipio's connection to God?
2. What do great orators possess, according to "On the Orator"?
3. Why is Crassus disappointed in Antonius at the end of "On the Orator"?
4. Describe when the dialogue of "On the Orator" took place and the importance of the work.
5. According to "On the Orator," how should great orators approach a speech?
6. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes the best friendship?
7. Where does Scipio go in his dream in Chapter 5?
8. What is the difference between kinship and friendship?
9. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
10. What does "On the Orator" discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Laelius places such great importance on having friends to live a decent life in Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss who Laelius believes friendship can only exist between and why.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss how the role of Africanus in Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship and Chapter 5: The Dream of Scipio are both similar and yet different. Discuss how the role of Africanus is different from the other characters in each chapter of "On The Good Life."
Essay Topic 3
Explain why and how Cicero refutes the Epicurean's philosophy on what makes a happy and good life. Discuss what validates the Epicurean's ideology for reaching happiness.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)