|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose words does Cicero use to illustrate his view in "On the Orator"?
2. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
3. What must the orator master?
4. Who reproaches Cicero after he leaves the country, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
5. What does the dream of "The Dream of Scipio" illustrate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the power of the orator in battle, to the power of a weapon in battle. Explain how the orator is most effective in holding control in a battle.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how The Dream of Scipio is unlike any other chapter of "On The Good Life" then compare and contrast how The Dream of Scipio connects to the book's overall theme of virtue and moral goodness.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differences of Crassus' and Scaevola's opinion of what they believe makes a good orator. Explain how Scaevola disproves Crassus' opinion.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)