Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction, what is Cicero NOT?
2. What does Cicero address in his work, "On Duties"?
3. What did Cicero resist being identified with, according to Grant?
4. What did Cicero believe humans cannot find peace without?
5. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Cicero insinuated about Caesar, in "On Duties".
2. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
3. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
4. Describe how Cicero perceived philosophy.
5. What is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
6. What are 'preferables,' 'unpreferables,' and 'indifferents' according to the Stoics?
7. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
8. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
9. When did Cicero write most of his works?
10. What is the universe made up of, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
Essay Topic 1
Describe what makes people become friends, according to Laelius: on Friendship. Explain what qualities Laelius believes makes a good friend.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why and how Cicero refutes the Epicurean's philosophy on what makes a happy and good life. Discuss what validates the Epicurean's ideology for reaching happiness.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)