Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction, what is Cicero NOT?
2. What does Cicero address in his work, "On Duties"?
3. What did Cicero resist being identified with, according to Grant?
4. What did Cicero believe humans cannot find peace without?
5. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Cicero insinuated about Caesar, in "On Duties".
2. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
3. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
4. Describe how Cicero perceived philosophy.
5. What is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
6. What are 'preferables,' 'unpreferables,' and 'indifferents' according to the Stoics?
7. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
8. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
9. When did Cicero write most of his works?
10. What is the universe made up of, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
Explain and discuss the paradox of pleasure and pain that comes from having friendship, according to Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss how both pain and pleasure are unavoidable in friendship.
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
Analyze and discuss the scene where Scipio sees the cosmic universe in The Dream of Scipio. Explain what symbolism Scipio's focus of earth suggests about human connection and spirituality.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)