Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction, what is Cicero NOT?
2. What does Cicero address in his work, "On Duties"?
3. What did Cicero resist being identified with, according to Grant?
4. What did Cicero believe humans cannot find peace without?
5. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Cicero insinuated about Caesar, in "On Duties".
2. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
3. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
4. Describe how Cicero perceived philosophy.
5. What is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
6. What are 'preferables,' 'unpreferables,' and 'indifferents' according to the Stoics?
7. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
8. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
9. When did Cicero write most of his works?
10. What is the universe made up of, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
Analyze and explain which of Cicero's works in "On The Good Life" are a response to Caesar and his rule. Discuss how Cicero feels about Caesar's dictatorial role.
Explain Cicero's philosophy in comparison to the Greek's philosophy. Discuss how they are similar and how they differ.
Explain how each chapter of "On The Good Life" supports Cicero's own lifestyle and opinion of living. Discuss if you think Cicero lived the life of goodwill and virtue he suggests and outlines for his readers to be able to reach "the good life."
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)