|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is concluded about the achievement of moral goodness, in "Discussions at Tusculum"?
2. According to Cicero, how does he view tyrannies?
3. What did Cicero believe strongly about the virtues of philosophy?
4. Who was Cicero worried about, according to the introduction?
5. According to the introduction, what protestant thinkers was Cicero popular among?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
2. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
3. What did the Stoics believe made a happy life and did their belief mean?
4. Describe what Cicero insinuated about Caesar, in "On Duties".
5. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
6. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
7. What is the importance of stability in external goods, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
8. What style did Cicero write in and why?
9. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
10. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain where the dialogue of Laelius: On Friendship came from and when it was written. Discuss why this information is important to Cicero personally and discuss how it effects the authenticity of the work.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why and how Cicero refutes the Epicurean's philosophy on what makes a happy and good life. Discuss what validates the Epicurean's ideology for reaching happiness.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss how the role of Africanus in Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship and Chapter 5: The Dream of Scipio are both similar and yet different. Discuss how the role of Africanus is different from the other characters in each chapter of "On The Good Life."
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)