|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cicero perceive philosophy under tyranny rule?
2. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
3. According to the Stoics, what was the faculty that was unique to humans?
4. In "Discussions at Tusculum," what do the Stoics argue is necessary to be happy?
5. What did Cicero resist being identified with, according to Grant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Cicero said about justice and intelligence, in "On Duties."
2. Tell why Cicero didn't identify with one type of philosophical school.
3. When did Cicero write most of his works?
4. What did the Greeks believe made a happy life?
5. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
6. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
7. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
8. What did the Epicureans believe happiness was?
9. How did Cicero contradict the entire first chapter "Discussions at Tusculum"?
10. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Cicero's popularity among the public from the time he began writing to the time he stopped. Discuss what made this change of opinion occur.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what makes people become friends, according to Laelius: on Friendship. Explain what qualities Laelius believes makes a good friend.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Laelius places such great importance on having friends to live a decent life in Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss who Laelius believes friendship can only exist between and why.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)