|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction, what type of writing style did Cicero sometimes write in?
2. What does the book reproduced in "On Duties" concern itself with?
3. How many miles was the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum" from Cicero's home?
4. Which medieval thinker admired Cicero, according to Grant?
5. How many virtues does Cicero argue moral goodness is comprised of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
2. Describe what the series of arguments in "On Duties" discusses.
3. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
4. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
5. Describe why Cicero worried about the Roman republic.
6. How was Cicero received by the public?
7. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
8. Describe Cicero's philosophy.
9. What three things did Cicero argue moral goodness is comprised of?
10. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Cicero's philosophy in comparison to the Greek's philosophy. Discuss how they are similar and how they differ.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how The Dream of Scipio is unlike any other chapter of "On The Good Life" then compare and contrast how The Dream of Scipio connects to the book's overall theme of virtue and moral goodness.
Essay Topic 3
Explain where the dialogue of Laelius: On Friendship came from and when it was written. Discuss why this information is important to Cicero personally and discuss how it effects the authenticity of the work.
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)