|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are external goods always at risk of, according to Cicero?
2. What was the result of Cicero's desire to capture others thought in his writing's?
3. What did Cicero believe humans cannot find peace without?
4. According to Cicero in "On Duties," what do men need?
5. Who favored Cicero?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe why Cicero worried about the Roman republic.
2. Describe Cicero's philosophy.
3. What are the intellectual goods that bring happiness, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
4. What three things did Cicero argue moral goodness is comprised of?
5. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
6. What did the Greeks believe made a happy life?
7. How did Cicero contradict the entire first chapter "Discussions at Tusculum"?
8. Tell why Cicero didn't identify with one type of philosophical school.
9. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
10. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Cicero's popularity among the public from the time he began writing to the time he stopped. Discuss what made this change of opinion occur.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Describe what makes people become friends, according to Laelius: on Friendship. Explain what qualities Laelius believes makes a good friend.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)