|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does much of Cicero's writing contain, according to Grant?
2. According to the introduction, how did Pope Gregory I respond to Cicero's work?
3. What are the contents of the book "On Duties" applicable to?
4. In "On Duties," what will wise rulers win from their subjects?
5. When did Cicero's reputation decline, according to the introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
2. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
3. Of those listed in the introduction, what were some of the opinions the various author's had of Cicero?
4. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
5. What is the importance of stability in external goods, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
6. Describe how Cicero perceived philosophy.
7. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
8. How did Cicero contradict the entire first chapter "Discussions at Tusculum"?
9. Describe Cicero's philosophy.
10. Describe what the series of arguments in "On Duties" discusses.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Laelius places such great importance on having friends to live a decent life in Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss who Laelius believes friendship can only exist between and why.
Essay Topic 2
Describe what makes people become friends, according to Laelius: on Friendship. Explain what qualities Laelius believes makes a good friend.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why and how Cicero refutes the Epicurean's philosophy on what makes a happy and good life. Discuss what validates the Epicurean's ideology for reaching happiness.
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)