|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero address in his work, "On Duties"?
2. What did Cicero believe applied to every human, according to Grant?
3. According to the introduction, how did the younger Seneca receive Cicero?
4. What must the ruler maintain, according to Cicero?
5. What are external goods merely considered to be by Cicero?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
2. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
3. When did Cicero write most of his works?
4. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
5. Describe why Cicero worried about the Roman republic.
6. How was Cicero received by the public?
7. What is the importance of stability in external goods, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
8. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
9. What did the Greeks believe made a happy life?
10. How did Cicero contradict the entire first chapter "Discussions at Tusculum"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Cicero's philosophy in comparison to the Greek's philosophy. Discuss how they are similar and how they differ.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why and how Cicero refutes the Epicurean's philosophy on what makes a happy and good life. Discuss what validates the Epicurean's ideology for reaching happiness.
Essay Topic 3
Explain why Laelius places such great importance on having friends to live a decent life in Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss who Laelius believes friendship can only exist between and why.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)