|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction, how did Pope Gregory I respond to Cicero's work?
2. According to Cicero, how does he view tyrannies?
3. What are the contents of the book "On Duties" applicable to?
4. What did Cicero believe humans cannot find peace without?
5. What did Cicero believe strongly about the virtues of philosophy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
2. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
3. What three things did Cicero argue moral goodness is comprised of?
4. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
5. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
6. Tell why Cicero didn't identify with one type of philosophical school.
7. Describe what Cicero said about justice and intelligence, in "On Duties."
8. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
9. Describe what the series of arguments in "On Duties" discusses.
10. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss the paradox of pleasure and pain that comes from having friendship, according to Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss how both pain and pleasure are unavoidable in friendship.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss how the theme of moral goodness and virtue recur throughout Cicero's works in "On The Good Life." Discuss how those two traits connect to each chapter.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Cicero's popularity among the public from the time he began writing to the time he stopped. Discuss what made this change of opinion occur.
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)