|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Dionysius?
2. Where is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
3. What are external goods always at risk of, according to Cicero?
4. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
5. What are external goods merely considered to be by Cicero?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Cicero said about justice and intelligence, in "On Duties."
2. What is the importance of stability in external goods, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
3. Describe why Cicero worried about the Roman republic.
4. What did the Epicureans believe happiness was?
5. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
6. Of those listed in the introduction, what were some of the opinions the various author's had of Cicero?
7. Describe what Cicero insinuated about Caesar, in "On Duties".
8. What did the Stoics believe made a happy life and did their belief mean?
9. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
10. How did Cicero contradict the entire first chapter "Discussions at Tusculum"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain and discuss the paradox of pleasure and pain that comes from having friendship, according to Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss how both pain and pleasure are unavoidable in friendship.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss how the role of Africanus in Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship and Chapter 5: The Dream of Scipio are both similar and yet different. Discuss how the role of Africanus is different from the other characters in each chapter of "On The Good Life."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Cicero's beliefs on human rights. Explain what he felt existed in all people that made them equal.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)