Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction, what is Cicero NOT?
2. What does Cicero address in his work, "On Duties"?
3. What did Cicero resist being identified with, according to Grant?
4. What did Cicero believe humans cannot find peace without?
5. In "On Duties," how many feelings does Cicero say a good ruler should inspire in his subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Cicero insinuated about Caesar, in "On Duties".
2. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
3. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
4. Describe how Cicero perceived philosophy.
5. What is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
6. What are 'preferables,' 'unpreferables,' and 'indifferents' according to the Stoics?
7. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
8. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
9. When did Cicero write most of his works?
10. What is the universe made up of, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss Cicero's beliefs on human rights. Explain what he felt existed in all people that made them equal.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what qualities Cicero outlines a good and effective ruler needs to have. Explain how Cicero's outline is a direct response to the condition of the governmental rule of the time in which Cicero writes.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Greek's philosophy to the Stoic's philosophy on what makes a good and happy life.
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)