|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cicero, how does he view tyrannies?
2. Who is the discussion between, in "Discussions at Tusculum"?
3. Who was Dionysius?
4. How many virtues does Cicero argue moral goodness is comprised of?
5. What are the third and fourth principles concerned with, in "On Duties"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do at the end of his dream?
2. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future?
3. What is the importance of stability in external goods, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
4. Describe the willingness a friend should have, according to "Laelius: On Friendship."
5. What is the greatest danger of a friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
6. Describe how the orator is powerful in battle, as described in "On the Orator."
7. What style did Cicero write in and why?
8. Compare an earth year to a cosmic year.
9. When did Cicero write most of his works?
10. What was Laelius's attitude towards friendship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how each chapter of "On The Good Life" supports Cicero's own lifestyle and opinion of living. Discuss if you think Cicero lived the life of goodwill and virtue he suggests and outlines for his readers to be able to reach "the good life."
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss Cicero's beliefs on human rights. Explain what he felt existed in all people that made them equal.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what qualities Cicero outlines a good and effective ruler needs to have. Explain how Cicero's outline is a direct response to the condition of the governmental rule of the time in which Cicero writes.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)