|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Cicero believe applied to every human, according to Grant?
2. How many principles does Cicero list that govern the performances of our obligations?
3. How does Cicero perceive philosophy under tyranny rule?
4. What prevented a person from being happy, according to Cicero?
5. What are external goods merely considered to be by Cicero?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cicero contradict the entire first chapter "Discussions at Tusculum"?
2. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
3. Describe what Cicero said about justice and intelligence, in "On Duties."
4. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
5. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
6. Of those listed in the introduction, what were some of the opinions the various author's had of Cicero?
7. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
8. What three things did Cicero argue moral goodness is comprised of?
9. Describe why Cicero worried about the Roman republic.
10. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and explain which of Cicero's works in "On The Good Life" are a response to Caesar and his rule. Discuss how Cicero feels about Caesar's dictatorial role.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why and how Cicero refutes the Epicurean's philosophy on what makes a happy and good life. Discuss what validates the Epicurean's ideology for reaching happiness.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Cicero's beliefs on human rights. Explain what he felt existed in all people that made them equal.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)