|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Grant, what did Cicero believe every human had to make them equal?
2. In "On Duties," which book is only reproduced in this particular selection of readings?
3. Who favored Cicero?
4. Where is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
5. According to Cicero, what will inspire hatred in a ruler's subjects?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
2. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
3. What style did Cicero write in and why?
4. Describe what Cicero insinuated about Caesar, in "On Duties".
5. What is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
6. What are the intellectual goods that bring happiness, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
7. What three things did Cicero argue moral goodness is comprised of?
8. Tell why Cicero didn't identify with one type of philosophical school.
9. What are 'preferables,' 'unpreferables,' and 'indifferents' according to the Stoics?
10. Describe why Cicero worried about the Roman republic.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Laelius places such great importance on having friends to live a decent life in Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss who Laelius believes friendship can only exist between and why.
Essay Topic 2
Explain why and how Cicero refutes the Epicurean's philosophy on what makes a happy and good life. Discuss what validates the Epicurean's ideology for reaching happiness.
Essay Topic 3
Explain where the dialogue of Laelius: On Friendship came from and when it was written. Discuss why this information is important to Cicero personally and discuss how it effects the authenticity of the work.
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)