|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the book of "On Duties" begin?
2. What are external goods merely considered to be by Cicero?
3. According to Cicero in "On Duties," what do men need?
4. According to the introduction, what type of writing style did Cicero sometimes write in?
5. How does Cicero describe what philosophy's method does in "Discussions at Tusculum"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
2. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
3. Tell why Cicero didn't identify with one type of philosophical school.
4. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
5. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
6. How was Cicero received by the public?
7. What is the importance of stability in external goods, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
8. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
9. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
10. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why Laelius places such great importance on having friends to live a decent life in Laelius: On Friendship. Discuss who Laelius believes friendship can only exist between and why.
Essay Topic 2
Explain where the dialogue of Laelius: On Friendship came from and when it was written. Discuss why this information is important to Cicero personally and discuss how it effects the authenticity of the work.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what qualities Cicero outlines a good and effective ruler needs to have. Explain how Cicero's outline is a direct response to the condition of the governmental rule of the time in which Cicero writes.
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)