|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are external goods merely considered to be by Cicero?
2. Which of the following are not needed to obtain moral goodness, according to Cicero in "On Duties"?
3. What are external 'bads' considered to be, according to Cicero?
4. What did Cicero believe strongly about the virtues of philosophy?
5. How does Cicero describe what philosophy's method does in "Discussions at Tusculum"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
2. Describe Cicero's philosophy.
3. Describe what the series of arguments in "On Duties" discusses.
4. When did Cicero write most of his works?
5. What are the intellectual goods that bring happiness, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
6. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
7. What will breed resentment among a ruler's subjects?
8. What did the Greeks believe made a happy life?
9. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
10. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how each chapter of "On The Good Life" supports Cicero's own lifestyle and opinion of living. Discuss if you think Cicero lived the life of goodwill and virtue he suggests and outlines for his readers to be able to reach "the good life."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Cicero's popularity among the public from the time he began writing to the time he stopped. Discuss what made this change of opinion occur.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Cicero's philosophy in comparison to the Greek's philosophy. Discuss how they are similar and how they differ.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)