|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Cicero's reputation decline, according to the introduction?
2. Who did Cicero influence, according to Grant?
3. What was the result of Cicero's desire to capture others thought in his writing's?
4. What did Cicero resist being identified with, according to Grant?
5. Where did Cicero retire during the transition of power in the Roman republic, according to Grant's introduction?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what the series of arguments in "On Duties" discusses.
2. What are the intellectual goods that bring happiness, according to "Discussions at Tusculum"?
3. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
4. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
5. Describe what Cicero said about justice and intelligence, in "On Duties."
6. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
7. What does Discussions at Tusculum discuss?
8. What style did Cicero write in and why?
9. What is the setting of "Discussions at Tusculum"?
10. What did Cicero's work return to in "On Duties" and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how The Dream of Scipio is unlike any other chapter of "On The Good Life" then compare and contrast how The Dream of Scipio connects to the book's overall theme of virtue and moral goodness.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the power of the orator in battle, to the power of a weapon in battle. Explain how the orator is most effective in holding control in a battle.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Cicero's beliefs on human rights. Explain what he felt existed in all people that made them equal.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)