|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction, what protestant thinkers was Cicero popular among?
2. What happens once virtue is acquired, according to Cicero?
3. What group believed happiness is the enjoyment of pleasure and the avoidance of pain?
4. What does the book reproduced in "On Duties" concern itself with?
5. Who does Grant say took over power in the Roman Republic during Cicero's writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Stoics believe made a happy life and did their belief mean?
2. When did Cicero write most of his works?
3. How was Cicero received by the public?
4. Of those listed in the introduction, what were some of the opinions the various author's had of Cicero?
5. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
6. How did Cicero define the 'recipe' to obtain a stable regime in "On Duties"?
7. Describe what the series of arguments in "On Duties" discusses.
8. Describe why Cicero worried about the Roman republic.
9. How do wise rulers win their subjects, according to Cicero?
10. What did the Epicureans believe happiness was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the scene where Scipio sees the cosmic universe in The Dream of Scipio. Explain what symbolism Scipio's focus of earth suggests about human connection and spirituality.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and explain the effectiveness and purpose of the writing style of On the Orator. Discuss how this writing style is supportive of the subject being discussed.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss how the theme of moral goodness and virtue recur throughout Cicero's works in "On The Good Life." Discuss how those two traits connect to each chapter.
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)