|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero address in his work, "On Duties"?
2. In "On Duties," what will wise rulers win from their subjects?
3. Who is the discussion between, in "Discussions at Tusculum"?
4. What group believed happiness is the enjoyment of pleasure and the avoidance of pain?
5. According to Cicero in "On Duties," what do men need?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Cicero perceived philosophy.
2. How did Cicero feel about statesmanship?
3. What will breed resentment among a ruler's subjects?
4. When did Cicero write most of his works?
5. What was Cicero's opinion of Caesar?
6. Describe Cicero's philosophy.
7. Describe what the series of arguments in "On Duties" discusses.
8. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
9. What type of system of government did Cicero prefer in "On Duties"?
10. Describe what Cicero said about justice and intelligence, in "On Duties."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss how the role of Africanus in Chapter 3: Laelius: On Friendship and Chapter 5: The Dream of Scipio are both similar and yet different. Discuss how the role of Africanus is different from the other characters in each chapter of "On The Good Life."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the power of the orator in battle, to the power of a weapon in battle. Explain how the orator is most effective in holding control in a battle.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the differences of Crassus' and Scaevola's opinion of what they believe makes a good orator. Explain how Scaevola disproves Crassus' opinion.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)