|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does "The Dream of Scipio" begin?
(a) In a military tribune.
(b) In a circus.
(c) At the Roman Forum.
(d) Outside the Pantheon.
2. What must the orator master?
(d) The entire sphere of philosophy.
3. What does Scipio desire in his dream?
(a) To join the afterlife.
(b) To become a ruler.
(c) To live forever.
(d) To never wake up.
4. What question does Cicero ask his brother, concerning what great oratory requires?
(a) Does it require "wide theoretical knowledge"?
(b) Is it popular in England?
(c) What is required to produce great oratory?
(d) Does it permit women?
5. What does God want Scipio to do, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) Join the afterlife.
(b) Guide his country.
(c) Tend to the earth.
(d) Rule his country.
6. In "The Dream of Scipio," where does God exist in the universe?
(a) The largest sphere.
(b) The smallest sphere.
(c) The fourth sphere.
(d) The second sphere.
7. What type of writing style is "Laelius: On Friendship" written in?
8. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
9. What does Laelius argue about a life without friends?
(a) It is lonely.
(b) It is unfulfilled.
(c) It is simple and peaceful.
(d) It is not worth living.
10. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) He is virtuous.
(b) He is needed.
(c) He is just.
(d) He is eternal.
11. What deep question does Laelius struggle with?
(a) What friendship really is.
(b) What his deficiency is.
(c) Who his best friend is.
(d) Whether the need for friendship is a deficiency.
12. What do the younger men ask Crassus to tell them in "On the Orator"?
(a) The nature of oratory.
(b) The nature of art.
(c) How he became a polished orator.
(d) If they could be good orators.
13. What does Laelius argue against the Stoics?
(a) That materials bring happiness.
(b) That friends are material things.
(c) That friendship is a transition in life.
(d) That a man should not be upset by the death of a friend.
14. How long does friendship last in accordance with what Laelius connects friendship to?
(a) When a fight happens.
(b) Til changes occur in the people.
(c) Til desires change.
(d) Forever, since nature is eternal.
15. What do great orators possess according to "On the Orator"?
(b) An innate gift.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Laelius speak with about his friendship with Scipio?
2. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
3. Who sends Scipio into tears just by the sight of him, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
4. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
5. What does Laelius believe makes goods truly good?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)