|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many tones does the harmony contain, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. Which of the following is NOT a quality people should select in a friend, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. When was Laelius born in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) 150 or 140 years later.
(b) 3 years after he was born.
(c) 150 or 140 years prior.
(d) 80 years after he was born.
4. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
(a) After his divorce.
(b) After his daughter's death.
(c) Before Caesar's assasination.
(d) After Caesar's assasination.
5. What does "Laelius: On Friendship" concern itself with?
(a) Laelius's idea of friendship.
(b) Cicero's concept of friendship.
(c) What makes a friend a friend.
(d) Laelius's meditation of his legendary friendship.
6. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) He will lose many battles.
(b) He will win many battles.
(c) He has God in him.
(d) He has a destiny to rule.
7. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to learn in his dream?
8. Where does Scipio go in his dream?
(a) On a rollercoaster.
(b) To France.
(c) To give a speech.
(d) A heavenly place.
9. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
(a) A poem.
(b) A list of people.
(c) A debate.
(d) A list of works.
10. In "The Dream of Scipio," where does God exist in the universe?
(a) The fourth sphere.
(b) The second sphere.
(c) The largest sphere.
(d) The smallest sphere.
11. What does Laelius reject about the restrictions of friendship?
(a) That the connection between friends is limited by its surroundings.
(b) That restrictions are necessary for friendship.
(c) That friendship has limits.
(d) All three theories suggested.
12. What is "On the Orator" considered in Latin?
(b) A joke.
(c) Thought provoking.
(d) An artistic masterpiece.
13. Where are the other men involved located, during the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
(a) The Colloseum.
(b) The Roman Forum.
(d) The Pantheon.
14. What question does Cicero ask his brother, concerning what great oratory requires?
(a) Is it popular in England?
(b) Does it permit women?
(c) Does it require "wide theoretical knowledge"?
(d) What is required to produce great oratory?
15. What do Rufus and Crassus need to become good orators?
(a) To study and research.
(b) To practice.
(c) To study under each of them.
(d) Enthusiasm and training.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Scipio greet in his dream?
2. What does Cicero argue the art of oratory requires?
3. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
4. According to Laelius, how is friendship formed?
5. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)