|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
2. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
(a) Rich and poor.
(b) Good and poor.
(c) Good and bad.
(d) Giving and selfish.
3. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His grandmother.
(c) His dad.
(d) His best friend.
4. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) To have dinner.
(b) For a funeral.
(c) For a meeting of the Roman Senate.
(d) For his daughter.
5. What is "On the Orator" considered to be in comparison to the rest of "On the Good Life"?
(a) The shortest work of the book.
(b) The greatest work of the book.
(c) The weakest argument of the book.
(d) The longest work of the book.
6. What is Scipio mesmerized by the sight of?
(b) The oceans.
7. What question does Cicero ask his brother, concerning what great oratory requires?
(a) Is it popular in England?
(b) What is required to produce great oratory?
(c) Does it require "wide theoretical knowledge"?
(d) Does it permit women?
8. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
9. What is "On the Orator" considered in Latin?
(a) An artistic masterpiece.
(c) A joke.
(d) Thought provoking.
10. What do the younger men ask Crassus to tell them in "On the Orator"?
(a) How he became a polished orator.
(b) The nature of art.
(c) The nature of oratory.
(d) If they could be good orators.
11. Why are great orators hard to find, according to Cicero in "On the Orator"?
(a) Few have the mastery of the many distinct arts.
(b) Many have information on many arts, but speak poorly.
(c) Stage fright.
(d) Many speak well, but lack information.
12. What does Crassus argue that Antonius agrees with?
(a) That there is no one art for oratory.
(b) That Cicero lacks techinique in oratory.
(c) That there is no need for oratory.
(d) That Cicero is the best orator.
13. What needs to exist between friends to ensure a permanence of friendship, according to Laelius?
14. What does "The Dream of Scipio" suggest about virtuous people?
(a) They are given eternal love.
(b) Only they are exempt from hell.
(c) Only they can see their loved ones in heaven.
(d) Only they are given eteral life.
15. In "The Dream of Scipio," where does God exist in the universe?
(a) The largest sphere.
(b) The second sphere.
(c) The smallest sphere.
(d) The fourth sphere.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. When was Laelius born in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
4. Who does Laelius argue needs friends the most?
5. Who sends Scipio into tears just by the sight of him, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)