|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the length like of "Dream of Scipio"?
2. What does "Laelius: On Friendship" concern itself with?
(a) Laelius's meditation of his legendary friendship.
(b) Cicero's concept of friendship.
(c) Laelius's idea of friendship.
(d) What makes a friend a friend.
3. What is Cicero known as, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) A good oratory teacher.
(b) A sufficient orator.
(c) A great orator of history.
(d) A mediocre orator.
4. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
5. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) He is virtuous.
(b) He is needed.
(c) He is just.
(d) He is eternal.
6. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do when he returns home in his dream?
(a) To not abandon hope.
(b) To remain calm.
(c) To stay brave.
(d) To fight for his country.
7. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
(a) Kinship is unnatural.
(b) Kinship is forced.
(c) Kinship does not imply a non-physical bond.
(d) Friendship is natural.
8. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(c) Marcus Antonius.
9. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
(a) Heavenly reality.
(b) His perception.
(d) Being a just and virtuous person.
10. What does Crassus argue that Antonius agrees with?
(a) That Cicero lacks techinique in oratory.
(b) That Cicero is the best orator.
(c) That there is no one art for oratory.
(d) That there is no need for oratory.
11. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
(a) All rulers.
(b) He and his friend.
(c) He alone.
(d) Only a few.
12. How long does friendship last in accordance with what Laelius connects friendship to?
(a) Forever, since nature is eternal.
(b) When a fight happens.
(c) Til changes occur in the people.
(d) Til desires change.
13. Where does "The Dream of Scipio" begin?
(a) Outside the Pantheon.
(b) In a circus.
(c) In a military tribune.
(d) At the Roman Forum.
14. What does reciprocity suggest about friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) Everything is reciprocal.
(b) Frienship is not a reciprocal relationship.
(c) The relationship is based on exhange.
(d) Friendship is not based on exchange.
15. What do Rufus and Crassus need to become good orators?
(a) Enthusiasm and training.
(b) To study and research.
(c) To study under each of them.
(d) To practice.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero claim about the text of 'Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. Where does Scipio go in his dream?
3. Who was Laelius friends with?
4. Who challenges Crassus' views with historical counter-examples?
5. According to "On the Orator," what does the orator possess even in battle?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)