|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What needs to exist between friends to ensure a permanence of friendship, according to Laelius?
2. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
(a) A list of people.
(b) A poem.
(c) A list of works.
(d) A debate.
3. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
4. Who challenges Crassus' views with historical counter-examples?
5. What is Scipio supposed to reflect in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) Human kind.
(c) The soul of the heavens.
6. What do Rufus and Cotta ask Antonius and Crassus in "On the Orator"?
(a) Will they give an oratory?
(b) Who is the best orator?
(c) Could they be great orators?
(d) Should they attempt to be orators?
7. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes friendship possible?
(c) Pain of being attached.
8. According to Laelius, how is friendship formed?
(a) Through food.
(b) Through desire.
(c) Through thought.
(d) Through love.
9. What does the dream of "The Dream of Scipio" illustrate?
(a) Authentic relationships.
(d) Selective immortality.
10. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
(a) His perception.
(b) Being a just and virtuous person.
(d) Heavenly reality.
11. What do the younger men ask Crassus to tell them in "On the Orator"?
(a) The nature of oratory.
(b) If they could be good orators.
(c) The nature of art.
(d) How he became a polished orator.
12. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
(a) All rulers.
(b) He and his friend.
(c) Only a few.
(d) He alone.
13. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
(a) After his divorce.
(b) Before Caesar's assasination.
(c) After his daughter's death.
(d) After Caesar's assasination.
14. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
(b) Bad men.
(d) Good men.
15. According to "On the Orator," who thought about the skill of oratory and rhetoric?
(a) Great Greek and Roman thinkers.
(b) Greek and Roman leaders.
(c) Greek leaders.
(d) Roman Catholics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
2. Who does Laelius speak with about his friendship with Scipio?
3. What is an earth year in comparison to a cosmic year, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
4. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
5. What does Africanus tell Scipio about Earth?
This section contains 414 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)