|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
(a) Kinship is unnatural.
(b) Friendship is natural.
(c) Kinship does not imply a non-physical bond.
(d) Kinship is forced.
2. Where does Scipio go in his dream?
(a) To France.
(b) On a rollercoaster.
(c) A heavenly place.
(d) To give a speech.
3. What does Laelius argue about a life without friends?
(a) It is not worth living.
(b) It is lonely.
(c) It is unfulfilled.
(d) It is simple and peaceful.
4. Who does Scipio greet in his dream?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His friend, Kind Basinissa.
(c) His dad.
(d) No one.
5. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
(a) The medieval period.
(b) Post revolutionary war.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) Prior to Cicero's "On the Good Life."
6. What does Crassus compare oratory to?
(c) Legal practice.
7. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
8. Who does Laelius argue needs friends the most?
(a) Those that are lonely.
(b) Those that are weak.
(c) Those that are shy.
(d) Those that are dependant.
9. Where must Scipio's soul return, according to his dream?
(b) His planet.
(c) The afterlife.
(d) His country.
10. What is "On the Orator" considered in Latin?
(a) A joke.
(b) An artistic masterpiece.
(d) Thought provoking.
11. What do the younger men ask Crassus to tell them in "On the Orator"?
(a) The nature of art.
(b) How he became a polished orator.
(c) The nature of oratory.
(d) If they could be good orators.
12. What does oratory require beside good speech, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) Knowledge of many subjects.
(b) Motivated thought.
(c) General idea of other topics.
(d) A desire to move others through words.
13. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) The elder Scipio.
(c) His grandfather.
14. Where does "The Dream of Scipio" begin?
(a) At the Roman Forum.
(b) In a circus.
(c) Outside the Pantheon.
(d) In a military tribune.
15. Which of the following is NOT a quality people should select in a friend, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Laelius: On Friendship" concern itself with?
2. Who does Laelius speak with about his friendship with Scipio?
3. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes friendship possible?
4. What does Cicero hope to save through writing, "On the Orator"?
5. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)