|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of writing style is "Laelius: On Friendship" written in?
2. What is the length like of "Dream of Scipio"?
3. What does Laelius argue against the Stoics?
(a) That friends are material things.
(b) That materials bring happiness.
(c) That a man should not be upset by the death of a friend.
(d) That friendship is a transition in life.
4. When was Laelius born in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) 150 or 140 years later.
(b) 3 years after he was born.
(c) 80 years after he was born.
(d) 150 or 140 years prior.
5. What do the orbits of the planets produce, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(b) A conection of spirits.
(c) A cosmic harmony.
(d) A pretty path.
6. What does Scipio desire in his dream?
(a) To live forever.
(b) To join the afterlife.
(c) To never wake up.
(d) To become a ruler.
7. What exists in the smallest sphere discussed in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(c) The planets.
8. What does Africanus tell Scipio about Earth?
(a) It is significant.
(b) It will die soon.
(c) It is small.
(d) It is insignificant.
9. What does Cicero argue the art of oratory requires?
(a) Speaking well and knowing its subjects.
(b) Knowing its people.
(c) Knowing its audience.
(d) Being condifdent.
10. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(b) Marcus Antonius.
11. Who was Laelius friends with?
(a) Scipio Africa.
(d) Scipio Africanus.
12. What needs to exist between friends to ensure a permanence of friendship, according to Laelius?
13. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
(b) Bad men.
(d) Good men.
14. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
15. What do true friends not enjoy doing, according to Laelius?
(a) Listening to you.
(b) Spending time with you.
(c) Criticizing you.
(d) Talking to you.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Laelius argue about a life without friends?
2. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. Whose words does Cicero use to illustrate his view in "On the Orator"?
4. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
5. What does "On The Orator "concern itself with?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)