|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
(a) The medieval period.
(b) Prior to Cicero's "On the Good Life."
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) Post revolutionary war.
2. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) He is virtuous.
(b) He is eternal.
(c) He is needed.
(d) He is just.
3. What is "On the Orator" considered to be in comparison to the rest of "On the Good Life"?
(a) The shortest work of the book.
(b) The weakest argument of the book.
(c) The greatest work of the book.
(d) The longest work of the book.
4. Who was Laelius friends with?
(a) Scipio Africa.
(c) Scipio Africanus.
5. What do the orbits of the planets produce, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) A pretty path.
(b) A conection of spirits.
(d) A cosmic harmony.
6. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(c) Marcus Antonius.
7. What is "On the Orator" considered in Latin?
(a) An artistic masterpiece.
(b) Thought provoking.
(d) A joke.
8. Where are the other men involved located, during the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
(a) The Pantheon.
(b) The Colloseum.
(c) The Roman Forum.
9. What type of writing style is "Laelius: On Friendship" written in?
10. In "The Dream of Scipio," how many spheres is the universe made up of?
11. Who sends Scipio into tears just by the sight of him, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) Scipio's friend.
(b) Scipio's father.
(c) Scipio's family.
(d) Scipio's mother.
12. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes friendship possible?
(a) Pain of being attached.
13. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
(a) Kinship does not imply a non-physical bond.
(b) Friendship is natural.
(c) Kinship is forced.
(d) Kinship is unnatural.
14. What is Cicero known as, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) A mediocre orator.
(b) A great orator of history.
(c) A sufficient orator.
(d) A good oratory teacher.
15. Where does Scipio go in his dream?
(a) To give a speech.
(b) On a rollercoaster.
(c) A heavenly place.
(d) To France.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Laelius's friend die in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
2. Where does "The Dream of Scipio" begin?
3. What does Crassus argue great orators cannot restrict themselves to?
4. What does Cicero hope to save through writing, "On the Orator"?
5. How many tones does the harmony contain, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)