|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Laelius, what is friendship in accord with?
2. What does Laelius reject about the restrictions of friendship?
(a) That friendship has limits.
(b) That the connection between friends is limited by its surroundings.
(c) That restrictions are necessary for friendship.
(d) All three theories suggested.
3. What does God want Scipio to do, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) Rule his country.
(b) Join the afterlife.
(c) Tend to the earth.
(d) Guide his country.
4. What deep question does Laelius struggle with?
(a) What friendship really is.
(b) What his deficiency is.
(c) Who his best friend is.
(d) Whether the need for friendship is a deficiency.
5. What exists in the smallest sphere discussed in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(b) The planets.
6. Who was Laelius friends with?
(c) Scipio Africanus.
(d) Scipio Africa.
7. How long does friendship last in accordance with what Laelius connects friendship to?
(a) Forever, since nature is eternal.
(b) When a fight happens.
(c) Til changes occur in the people.
(d) Til desires change.
8. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His dad.
9. What does Crassus argue that Antonius agrees with?
(a) That Cicero lacks techinique in oratory.
(b) That there is no one art for oratory.
(c) That there is no need for oratory.
(d) That Cicero is the best orator.
10. What is Scipio mesmerized by the sight of?
(b) The oceans.
11. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
(a) The elder Scipio.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His grandmother.
12. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
(a) After full mental and physical maturity.
(b) After that friend has three strikes.
(c) After that friend is mean.
(d) When one is sound and rational.
13. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) For a funeral.
(b) To have dinner.
(c) For a meeting of the Roman Senate.
(d) For his daughter.
14. Which of the following is NOT a quality people should select in a friend, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
15. What do the orbits of the planets produce, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(b) A pretty path.
(c) A conection of spirits.
(d) A cosmic harmony.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Cicero hope to save through writing, "On the Orator"?
2. Who sends Scipio into tears just by the sight of him, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
3. What does Scipio desire in his dream?
4. What question does Cicero ask his brother, concerning what great oratory requires?
5. What needs to exist between friends to ensure a permanence of friendship, according to Laelius?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)