|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cicero claim about the text of 'Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) It is borrowed.
(b) He came up with the content.
(c) It is a transcription from one of his teachers.
(d) He heard it somewhere.
2. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) He will win many battles.
(b) He has God in him.
(c) He has a destiny to rule.
(d) He will lose many battles.
3. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
(a) Post revolutionary war.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) Prior to Cicero's "On the Good Life."
(d) The medieval period.
4. Where must Scipio's soul return, according to his dream?
(a) His planet.
(b) His country.
(c) The afterlife.
5. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
(a) Bad men.
(d) Good men.
6. Where does Scipio go in his dream?
(a) To give a speech.
(b) On a rollercoaster.
(c) A heavenly place.
(d) To France.
7. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
8. What does Crassus compare oratory to?
(c) Legal practice.
9. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
(a) Heavenly reality.
(c) His perception.
(d) Being a just and virtuous person.
10. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
11. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
(a) After Caesar's assasination.
(b) After his daughter's death.
(c) After his divorce.
(d) Before Caesar's assasination.
12. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
(a) A debate.
(b) A poem.
(c) A list of works.
(d) A list of people.
13. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
(a) His dad.
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His best friend.
14. Whose fate lies in the hands of Scipio, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) His country's.
(b) His family's.
(c) No one's.
(d) His wife's.
15. Who was Laelius friends with?
(a) Scipio Africa.
(d) Scipio Africanus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Cicero ask his brother, concerning what great oratory requires?
2. What does Laelius reject about the restrictions of friendship?
3. What does Laelius believe makes goods truly good?
4. Where are the other men involved located, during the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
5. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)