|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Laelius friends with?
(b) Scipio Africanus.
(d) Scipio Africa.
2. What exists in the smallest sphere discussed in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(c) The planets.
3. Who does Laelius argue needs friends the most?
(a) Those that are lonely.
(b) Those that are weak.
(c) Those that are dependant.
(d) Those that are shy.
4. What does "Laelius: On Friendship" concern itself with?
(a) Cicero's concept of friendship.
(b) Laelius's idea of friendship.
(c) What makes a friend a friend.
(d) Laelius's meditation of his legendary friendship.
5. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
(a) His perception.
(c) Being a just and virtuous person.
(d) Heavenly reality.
6. Who does Scipio greet in his dream?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) His dad.
(c) No one.
(d) His friend, Kind Basinissa.
7. Who reproaches Cicero after he leaves the country, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
8. Where does Scipio travel in his dream?
9. What type of writing style is "Laelius: On Friendship" written in?
10. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
(a) The medieval period.
(b) Prior to Cicero's "On the Good Life."
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) Post revolutionary war.
11. What does Cicero hope to save through writing, "On the Orator"?
(a) His own talent.
(c) His country from decay.
(d) The talent of others.
12. What must the apprentice orator do?
(c) Practice in front of groups.
(d) Take voice lessons.
13. What does reciprocity suggest about friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) Frienship is not a reciprocal relationship.
(b) Friendship is not based on exchange.
(c) The relationship is based on exhange.
(d) Everything is reciprocal.
14. What does "On The Orator "concern itself with?
(a) Who is a good orator.
(b) The role of the orator or statesmen.
(c) What makes a person a good orator.
(d) If Cicero is a good orator.
15. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Scipio reflect, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. Who does Laelius speak with about his friendship with Scipio?
3. What does "The Dream of Scipio" suggest about virtuous people?
4. According to Laelius, what is friendship in accord with?
5. What does Africanus tell Scipio about Earth?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)