|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "On the Orator," who thought about the skill of oratory and rhetoric?
(a) Great Greek and Roman thinkers.
(b) Greek leaders.
(c) Roman Catholics.
(d) Greek and Roman leaders.
2. What does the dream of "The Dream of Scipio" illustrate?
(a) Authentic relationships.
(b) Selective immortality.
3. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) He has a destiny to rule.
(b) He will win many battles.
(c) He has God in him.
(d) He will lose many battles.
4. What is Cicero known as, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) A good oratory teacher.
(b) A great orator of history.
(c) A mediocre orator.
(d) A sufficient orator.
5. What does reciprocity suggest about friendship, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) Everything is reciprocal.
(b) Frienship is not a reciprocal relationship.
(c) Friendship is not based on exchange.
(d) The relationship is based on exhange.
6. What does Cicero argue the art of oratory requires?
(a) Speaking well and knowing its subjects.
(b) Knowing its audience.
(c) Knowing its people.
(d) Being condifdent.
7. What is the length like of "Dream of Scipio"?
8. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes friendship possible?
(a) Pain of being attached.
9. What is Scipio mesmerized by the sight of?
(b) The oceans.
10. What is the name of Cicero's brother he writes to?
11. What does "On The Orator "concern itself with?
(a) What makes a person a good orator.
(b) Who is a good orator.
(c) The role of the orator or statesmen.
(d) If Cicero is a good orator.
12. What do Rufus and Crassus need to become good orators?
(a) To study under each of them.
(b) Enthusiasm and training.
(c) To practice.
(d) To study and research.
13. What do the orbits of the planets produce, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(b) A pretty path.
(c) A conection of spirits.
(d) A cosmic harmony.
14. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
(a) Bad men.
(c) Good men.
15. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do when he returns home in his dream?
(a) To stay brave.
(b) To fight for his country.
(c) To not abandon hope.
(d) To remain calm.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Laelius, what two things should be avoided in friendship?
2. In "The Dream of Scipio," where does God exist in the universe?
3. How many tones does the harmony contain, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
4. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
5. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)