|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "On the Orator," what does the orator possess even in battle?
(a) The ability to motivate.
(b) Great power.
(c) Little power.
(d) The ability to connect.
2. Which of the following is NOT a quality people should select in a friend, according to "Laelius: On Friendship"?
3. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
(a) His grandmother.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His grandfather.
(d) His dad.
4. What does Africanus tell Scipio about Earth?
(a) It will die soon.
(b) It is insignificant.
(c) It is small.
(d) It is significant.
5. What is the length like of "Dream of Scipio"?
6. When was Laelius born in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) 80 years after he was born.
(b) 150 or 140 years prior.
(c) 3 years after he was born.
(d) 150 or 140 years later.
7. Why are great orators hard to find, according to Cicero in "On the Orator"?
(a) Many have information on many arts, but speak poorly.
(b) Few have the mastery of the many distinct arts.
(c) Many speak well, but lack information.
(d) Stage fright.
8. What does Cicero hope to save through writing, "On the Orator"?
(a) His country from decay.
(c) The talent of others.
(d) His own talent.
9. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
(a) Before Caesar's assasination.
(b) After his daughter's death.
(c) After his divorce.
(d) After Caesar's assasination.
10. What does Laelius believe makes goods truly good?
(d) Jealousy of others.
11. What does "Laelius: On Friendship" concern itself with?
(a) Cicero's concept of friendship.
(b) What makes a friend a friend.
(c) Laelius's idea of friendship.
(d) Laelius's meditation of his legendary friendship.
12. What do the younger men ask Crassus to tell them in "On the Orator"?
(a) If they could be good orators.
(b) How he became a polished orator.
(c) The nature of art.
(d) The nature of oratory.
13. What is an earth year in comparison to a cosmic year, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) They are unrelated.
(b) They are equal in length.
(c) A big part of ot.
(d) A small part of it.
14. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
(a) His perception.
(b) Heavenly reality.
(c) Being a just and virtuous person.
15. What do the orbits of the planets produce, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) A pretty path.
(b) A conection of spirits.
(c) A cosmic harmony.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Laelius, how is friendship formed?
2. Where are the other men involved located, during the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
3. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
4. What do great orators possess according to "On the Orator"?
5. According to "On the Orator," who thought about the skill of oratory and rhetoric?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)