|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laelius believe makes goods truly good?
(d) Jealousy of others.
2. What does "The Dream of Scipio" suggest about virtuous people?
(a) Only they are given eteral life.
(b) Only they are exempt from hell.
(c) They are given eternal love.
(d) Only they can see their loved ones in heaven.
3. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
(a) A list of works.
(b) A debate.
(c) A list of people.
(d) A poem.
4. What must Scipio reflect, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) His oratory skills in other.
(b) His peaceful mind.
(c) His love for God.
(d) The peace of God within him.
5. What do Rufus and Crassus need to become good orators?
(a) Enthusiasm and training.
(b) To practice.
(c) To study under each of them.
(d) To study and research.
6. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
7. What deep question does Laelius struggle with?
(a) What friendship really is.
(b) Whether the need for friendship is a deficiency.
(c) Who his best friend is.
(d) What his deficiency is.
8. What must the orator master?
(b) The entire sphere of philosophy.
9. What does Laelius argue about a life without friends?
(a) It is lonely.
(b) It is unfulfilled.
(c) It is simple and peaceful.
(d) It is not worth living.
10. Who was Laelius friends with?
(c) Scipio Africanus.
(d) Scipio Africa.
11. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) For a meeting of the Roman Senate.
(b) To have dinner.
(c) For a funeral.
(d) For his daughter.
12. According to Laelius, what is friendship in accord with?
13. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
(a) Post revolutionary war.
(b) The medieval period.
(c) Prior to Cicero's "On the Good Life."
(d) The Renaissance.
14. What do Rufus and Cotta ask Antonius and Crassus in "On the Orator"?
(a) Will they give an oratory?
(b) Who is the best orator?
(c) Should they attempt to be orators?
(d) Could they be great orators?
15. How long does friendship last in accordance with what Laelius connects friendship to?
(a) When a fight happens.
(b) Til changes occur in the people.
(c) Til desires change.
(d) Forever, since nature is eternal.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
2. Where does Scipio go in his dream?
3. According to "On the Orator," who thought about the skill of oratory and rhetoric?
4. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
5. Who sends Scipio into tears just by the sight of him, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)