|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Laelius argue against the Stoics?
(a) That materials bring happiness.
(b) That a man should not be upset by the death of a friend.
(c) That friends are material things.
(d) That friendship is a transition in life.
2. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
(a) After that friend is mean.
(b) After that friend has three strikes.
(c) When one is sound and rational.
(d) After full mental and physical maturity.
3. Where does Scipio travel in his dream?
4. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) Marcus Antonius.
5. What does the dialogue concern itself with in "On the Orator"?
(a) A list of works.
(b) A list of people.
(c) A poem.
(d) A debate.
6. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
(a) Only a few.
(b) He alone.
(c) He and his friend.
(d) All rulers.
7. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
(b) The elder Scipio.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His grandfather.
8. What was oratory a part of in the ancient world, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) Low art.
(b) Great ability.
(c) High art.
(d) Great conditions.
9. According to Laelius, how is friendship formed?
(a) Through love.
(b) Through thought.
(c) Through desire.
(d) Through food.
10. What does "The Dream of Scipio" suggest about virtuous people?
(a) They are given eternal love.
(b) Only they are exempt from hell.
(c) Only they are given eteral life.
(d) Only they can see their loved ones in heaven.
11. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
(a) Heavenly reality.
(b) Being a just and virtuous person.
(d) His perception.
12. What two types of men cannot be friends, according to Laelius?
(a) Good and bad.
(b) Giving and selfish.
(c) Good and poor.
(d) Rich and poor.
13. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
(a) Good men.
(b) Bad men.
14. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
(a) Prior to Cicero's "On the Good Life."
(b) The medieval period.
(c) The Renaissance.
(d) Post revolutionary war.
15. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) For a meeting of the Roman Senate.
(b) For his daughter.
(c) For a funeral.
(d) To have dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many tones does the harmony contain, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. How long does friendship last in accordance with what Laelius connects friendship to?
3. Who sends Scipio into tears just by the sight of him, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
4. What do true friends not enjoy doing, according to Laelius?
5. What must the orator master?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)