|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes the dictatorial control in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) Marcus Antonius.
2. What do the orbits of the planets produce, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) A pretty path.
(b) A conection of spirits.
(c) A cosmic harmony.
3. According to Laelius, what two things should be avoided in friendship?
(a) Insult and pretense.
(b) Hypocrisy and pretense.
(c) Hypocrisy and insult.
(d) Condemnation and pretense.
4. Where must Scipio's soul return, according to his dream?
(a) His country.
(b) His planet.
(d) The afterlife.
5. According to "On the Orator," what does the orator possess even in battle?
(a) The ability to connect.
(b) Great power.
(c) Little power.
(d) The ability to motivate.
6. What does the dream of "The Dream of Scipio" illustrate?
(a) Selective immortality.
(c) Authentic relationships.
7. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) He will lose many battles.
(b) He has a destiny to rule.
(c) He has God in him.
(d) He will win many battles.
8. What was oratory a part of in the ancient world, according to "On the Orator"?
(a) High art.
(b) Low art.
(c) Great ability.
(d) Great conditions.
9. What type of writing style is "Laelius: On Friendship" written in?
10. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
(a) Before Caesar's assasination.
(b) After Caesar's assasination.
(c) After his divorce.
(d) After his daughter's death.
11. According to Laelius, how is friendship formed?
(a) Through thought.
(b) Through food.
(c) Through desire.
(d) Through love.
12. What does Cicero aim to determine in "On the Orator"?
(a) What makes a man a good orator.
(b) What kind of man the orator must be to rule the Greek Empire.
(c) Who is better at oratory than he is.
(d) What kind of man the orator must be to rule the Roman Empire.
13. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
(a) When one is sound and rational.
(b) After that friend is mean.
(c) After full mental and physical maturity.
(d) After that friend has three strikes.
14. How does Antonius feel the orator should approach speech?
15. In "The Dream of Scipio," how many spheres is the universe made up of?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "On the Orator," who thought about the skill of oratory and rhetoric?
2. What does "On The Orator "concern itself with?
3. Who was Laelius friends with?
4. What is Cicero known as, according to "On the Orator"?
5. What is the length like of "Dream of Scipio"?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)