|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
(a) Kinship does not imply a non-physical bond.
(b) Kinship is forced.
(c) Friendship is natural.
(d) Kinship is unnatural.
2. Why are great orators hard to find, according to Cicero in "On the Orator"?
(a) Many speak well, but lack information.
(b) Few have the mastery of the many distinct arts.
(c) Many have information on many arts, but speak poorly.
(d) Stage fright.
3. What is Scipio supposed to reflect in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(b) Human kind.
(d) The soul of the heavens.
4. What does Laelius argue against the Stoics?
(a) That friendship is a transition in life.
(b) That a man should not be upset by the death of a friend.
(c) That materials bring happiness.
(d) That friends are material things.
5. What do true friends not enjoy doing, according to Laelius?
(a) Spending time with you.
(b) Listening to you.
(c) Talking to you.
(d) Criticizing you.
6. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," what makes friendship possible?
(b) Pain of being attached.
7. When did Laelius's friend die in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) A few years after he wrote it.
(b) 150 or 140 years prior.
(c) While he was writing it.
(d) A few years before he wrote it.
8. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
(a) After Caesar's assasination.
(b) After his daughter's death.
(c) Before Caesar's assasination.
(d) After his divorce.
9. When was Laelius born in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) 150 or 140 years later.
(b) 3 years after he was born.
(c) 80 years after he was born.
(d) 150 or 140 years prior.
10. In "The Dream of Scipio," how many spheres is the universe made up of?
11. What is "On the Orator" considered in Latin?
(a) A joke.
(c) Thought provoking.
(d) An artistic masterpiece.
12. Who reproaches Cicero after he leaves the country, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
13. According to "On the Orator," what does the orator possess even in battle?
(a) Little power.
(b) The ability to motivate.
(c) The ability to connect.
(d) Great power.
14. Who reveals the structure of the universe to Scipio?
(a) His grandfather.
(b) The elder Scipio.
(d) His grandmother.
15. What needs to exist between friends to ensure a permanence of friendship, according to Laelius?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "On the Orator," who thought about the skill of oratory and rhetoric?
2. According to Laelius, what is friendship in accord with?
3. What does "The Dream of Scipio" suggest about virtuous people?
4. What does Laelius reject about the restrictions of friendship?
5. In "The Dream of Scipio," where does God exist in the universe?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)