|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "On the Orator" considered to be in comparison to the rest of "On the Good Life"?
(a) The longest work of the book.
(b) The greatest work of the book.
(c) The weakest argument of the book.
(d) The shortest work of the book.
2. What type of writing style is "Laelius: On Friendship" written in?
3. In "The Dream of Scipio," where does God exist in the universe?
(a) The second sphere.
(b) The largest sphere.
(c) The fourth sphere.
(d) The smallest sphere.
4. How long does friendship last in accordance with what Laelius connects friendship to?
(a) Forever, since nature is eternal.
(b) Til changes occur in the people.
(c) Til desires change.
(d) When a fight happens.
5. Why does Cicero return to Rome, in "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) For a funeral.
(b) For a meeting of the Roman Senate.
(c) For his daughter.
(d) To have dinner.
6. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to learn in his dream?
7. How many tones does the harmony contain, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
8. According to "On the Orator," what does the orator possess even in battle?
(a) The ability to motivate.
(b) Great power.
(c) Little power.
(d) The ability to connect.
9. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to do when he returns home in his dream?
(a) To fight for his country.
(b) To not abandon hope.
(c) To stay brave.
(d) To remain calm.
10. Why is friendship more potent that kinship, according to Laelius ?
(a) Friendship is natural.
(b) Kinship is unnatural.
(c) Kinship does not imply a non-physical bond.
(d) Kinship is forced.
11. According to "Laelius: On Friendship," when should a person make the decision to keep a friend?
(a) After full mental and physical maturity.
(b) When one is sound and rational.
(c) After that friend is mean.
(d) After that friend has three strikes.
12. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
(a) The medieval period.
(b) The Renaissance.
(c) Prior to Cicero's "On the Good Life."
(d) Post revolutionary war.
13. Who visits Scipio in his dream?
(a) His dad.
(b) His best friend.
(c) His grandmother.
(d) His grandfather.
14. According to Laelius, what two things should be avoided in friendship?
(a) Condemnation and pretense.
(b) Hypocrisy and pretense.
(c) Hypocrisy and insult.
(d) Insult and pretense.
15. What does Cicero aim to determine in "On the Orator"?
(a) Who is better at oratory than he is.
(b) What kind of man the orator must be to rule the Greek Empire.
(c) What makes a man a good orator.
(d) What kind of man the orator must be to rule the Roman Empire.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do true friends not enjoy doing, according to Laelius?
2. What does Africanus tell Scipio about his future, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
3. What does Africanus tell Scipio about Earth?
4. Whom does Cicero note the art of oratory is possessed by?
5. Who does Laelius argue friendship is only possible for?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)