|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Laelius: On Friendship" concern itself with?
(a) Laelius's idea of friendship.
(b) Cicero's concept of friendship.
(c) What makes a friend a friend.
(d) Laelius's meditation of his legendary friendship.
2. Where does "The Dream of Scipio" begin?
(a) At the Roman Forum.
(b) In a circus.
(c) In a military tribune.
(d) Outside the Pantheon.
3. What do the younger men ask Crassus to tell them in "On the Orator"?
(a) The nature of oratory.
(b) How he became a polished orator.
(c) The nature of art.
(d) If they could be good orators.
4. What does Africanus encourage Scipio to focus on, in his dream?
(a) His perception.
(b) Being a just and virtuous person.
(d) Heavenly reality.
5. In "The Dream of Scipio," how many spheres is the universe made up of?
6. According to Laelius, how is friendship formed?
(a) Through food.
(b) Through thought.
(c) Through love.
(d) Through desire.
7. Who was Laelius friends with?
(a) Scipio Africa.
(b) Scipio Africanus.
8. What does Africanus argue about God, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) He is just.
(b) He is virtuous.
(c) He is eternal.
(d) He is needed.
9. What do the orbits of the planets produce, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
(a) A cosmic harmony.
(b) A pretty path.
(c) A conection of spirits.
10. What does Laelius argue about a life without friends?
(a) It is simple and peaceful.
(b) It is unfulfilled.
(c) It is not worth living.
(d) It is lonely.
11. Where does Scipio go in his dream?
(a) On a rollercoaster.
(b) To France.
(c) A heavenly place.
(d) To give a speech.
12. According to Laelius, what two things should be avoided in friendship?
(a) Hypocrisy and pretense.
(b) Insult and pretense.
(c) Hypocrisy and insult.
(d) Condemnation and pretense.
13. What does Laelius reject about the restrictions of friendship?
(a) That friendship has limits.
(b) That the connection between friends is limited by its surroundings.
(c) All three theories suggested.
(d) That restrictions are necessary for friendship.
14. In "The Dream of Scipio," where does God exist in the universe?
(a) The largest sphere.
(b) The second sphere.
(c) The fourth sphere.
(d) The smallest sphere.
15. Whose words does Cicero use to illustrate his view in "On the Orator"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What must Scipio reflect, according to "The Dream of Scipio"?
2. When was the excerpt of "The Dream of Scipio" rediscovered?
3. Who hosts the other men involved in the dialogue of "On the Orator"?
4. What does God want Scipio to do, in "The Dream of Scipio"?
5. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)