Short Essay Questions Key
1. What were Cicero's attitudes about human rights?
Cicero believed in the human rights and the freedom of each individual. He was an individualist and found a human spark of divinity in everyone that he believed makes all equal.
2. How was Cicero received by the public?
Cicero was popular during the time in which he wrote. He copied many of the Greek philosophies and later his popularity declined in the late 19th century due to his unoriginality.
3. Describe Cicero's philosophy.
Cicero's philosophy was Greek based. He wanted to capture the rigor of their ideas, although he resisted being identified with any particular school.
4. How did Cicero popularize many ideas and with whom?
Cicero popularized his ideas through his writing style, which was mostly in dialogue. He deepened the Roman elites interest in his philosophy, which was then considered Greek.
5. Tell why Cicero didn't identify with one type of philosophical school.
Cicero resisted identifying with one type of school to avoid dogmatism. He was slightly unsuccessful at this, for many people identified his ideas with the Greeks.
This section contains 2,356 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)