|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4: On the Orator.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Cicero's essay "Laelius: On Friendship" written?
(a) After Caesar's assasination.
(b) After his divorce.
(c) Before Caesar's assasination.
(d) After his daughter's death.
2. What did Cicero believe the result would be if happiness was only achieved by certain goods?
(a) That happiness was unnecessary.
(b) That unhappiness did not exist.
(c) That happiness could only be perfected by possessing imperishable goods.
(d) That happiness was permanent.
3. When did Laelius's friend die in relation to when Cicero wrote "Laelius: On Friendship"?
(a) A few years after he wrote it.
(b) While he was writing it.
(c) 150 or 140 years prior.
(d) A few years before he wrote it.
4. According to Cicero, what is suggested about losing one's happiness?
(a) That it would be easy to regain.
(b) That it would then be valued more.
(c) That it is separate from us.
(d) That it would then be imperfect.
5. What type of governmental system does Cicero prefer?
(a) Where no one is taxed.
(b) Where men elect their ruler.
(c) Where the ruler gives to his community.
(d) Where the ruler is morally good.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Cicero, what will breed resentment in a ruler's subjects?
2. What are external goods always at risk of, according to Cicero?
3. What must men have to resolve conflict, according to Cicero in "On Duties"?
4. What does "On The Orator "concern itself with?
5. What are external goods merely considered to be by Cicero?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)